• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

A lot of these pics look like they're from the pages of Saveur or Martha Stewart Living or....hmmmmm.....say....here's my dinner last night:

DANDELION SALAD WITH LARDONS AND GOAT CHEESE PHYLLO BLOSSOMS...

gallery_32394_1314_1299.jpg

Just kidding, Grub. I think EGullet needs people like us to level the playing field. Keep posting your pics!!!!

"Don't be afraid of flavor" -- Tyler Florence

Last evening, running a little late, everyone was ravenous. A perfect moment to be served excellent double cheeseburgers, as prepared by the man of the house. Meat was chopped steak from the new butcher shop, really good. The usual condiment suspects, including an especially nice big old sweet onion. Trader Joe's aged cheddar potato chips. Icy icy beer -- Gerolsteiner for the under-21 set. Aaah.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

(does it make a big difference, if I use canned beef broth, rather than creating my own veal stock?...

The beans look the worst (maybe that's just cause I know there were canned, and microwaved, I dunno)...

The pork chop is bone-in (and just covered with salt and pepper, and olive oil -- done simply, since I had this sauce to provide extra flavor), which works best on a bbq, I think. Had decent grill marks and all. Tasted great, even if it doesn't look too impressive.

It makes a difference using beef stock as a sub for veal stock let alone a tinned liquid. However, it is possible to purchase demi-glace made from veal stock on the web. And one can sometimes purchase stocks from restaurants if you go to the service entrance at an off time and set up with a pusher.

That the beans were tinned and microwaved is why they looked khaki and water-logged.

Bone-in loin chops are excellent pan-grilled and always a good choice. And they can support really robust sauces.

Oh, as for butter, try adding it in cold cubes and whisking it in.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

little dinnerparty for husbands co-workers:

to start, slices of baguette with cheat's onion confit (made in 2 hours on the stovetop :shock: ) with bleu d'auvergne

then salad of aragula, roast green asparagus, steamed new potatoes, serrano ham, eggs, mint and a mustard mayonaise dressing:

gallery_21505_358_24996.jpg

roast rosemary-garlic lamb, white beans cooked with garlic and sage, salad of grilled courgette, tomatoes and basil:

gallery_21505_358_8862.jpg

raspberry pinenut crumble cake with panna cotta icecream (the icecream was storebought from one of the best icecreamparlours in town)

gallery_21505_358_26509.jpg

edited to add that tonight I am dining on the leftovers: pureed, those beans turned into a wonderful soup. And there's a slice of that crumble cake left for dessert :rolleyes:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Not so much dinner, as prep for dinner ...

gallery_16561_1041_81637.jpg

Friends of ours just returned from a business trip to Montreal with 12lbs of brisket from Schwartz's ... 4lbs for us!! I don't know why this stuff is so frickin' good, but even before it's been steamed it smells terrific.

gallery_16561_1041_61230.jpg

4 lbs is too much for a single sitting, even for me :laugh: We cut it up into 1lb sections ... just enough for 2 nice sandwiches (or 1 spectacular one!) No pictures of the sandwich this time. We were too busy eating and licking the fat from our fingers.

A.

Not so much dinner, as prep for dinner ...

gallery_16561_1041_81637.jpg

Friends of ours just returned from a business trip to Montreal with 12lbs of brisket from Schwartz's ... 4lbs for us!!  I don't know why this stuff is so frickin' good, but even before it's been steamed it smells terrific.

gallery_16561_1041_61230.jpg

4 lbs is too much for a single sitting, even for me  :laugh: We cut it up into 1lb sections ... just enough for 2 nice sandwiches (or 1 spectacular one!)  No pictures of the sandwich this time.  We were too busy eating and licking the fat from our fingers.

A.

Oh Schwartz's :wub::wub::wub: I am so freaking jealous right about now!!!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

You know, some of these posts are just hurtful. Thank god we don't have smell-o-vision or I'd be crying.

That said, I made a pasta thing that came out great. Simple really does work, esp now that I'm getting such great quality organic produce/groceries delivered every week.

It was a bacon-cherry tomato-fresh oregano concoction that I tossed angel hair pasta into. I would have preferred a sturdier pasta but that was what I had. Lots of black pepper at the end, parm optional. Heavily salting the pasta water does wonders for a dish that has such a minimal sauce.

The bacon was Niman Ranch, cut into bite size pieces and fried until quite crisp, then set aside intil very end. Removed all but a couple spoonfuls of fat from pan, added olive oil and whole garlic cloves to brown. Then cooked cherry tomatoes until beginning to burst, along with a handful of oregano sprigs which wilted nicely. Readded the bacon, put the pasta in with a half cup or so of cooking water, and "dressed" it with a bit o' bacon fat.

It wasn't around long enough to get a picture of it.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Grub, I buy veal stock from my local culinary school!

Chufi, how on earth do you find time to snap photos while serving a dinner party? That is one thing I have yet been able to do. Your salad looks awesome!!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Last night: Cheeseburgers with really good aged Wisconsin cheddar and Nueske's bacon :wub:, catsup, spicy mustard, Vidalia onion and big fat Vlasic pickle slices. On toasted Thomas' English muffins. Trader Joe's garlic fries on the side. Sierra Nevadas.

Tuesday night: "Italian" chicken salad with shredded roasted chicken, thinly sliced red onion, capers, red wine vinaigrette. Rolled up in these new "Flat Out" wraps things I saw at Safeway. Utz rippled chips and my mom's recipe for cukes and onions.

Monday night: Leftover homemade pizza from Sunday - one three cheese white pie with anchovies on one side for my sweetie, capers on the other for me. The other was Lidia's pizza sauce, Genoa salami, Vidalias, mozzarella from the farmers market.

Saturday night: All alone. A perfectly sized New York strip, seared on stove and finished in the oven, with white button mushrooms sauteed in lots of butter, garlic and parsley, Smith & Wollensky steak sauce. Red wine. Since my boyfriend grew shiitakes, I haven't been allowed to have a button mushroom in my house for quite some time. What a treat.

Friday night: Alone. Made a frittata with leftover roasted asparagus, grape tomatoes, Kalamata olives. Fresh cheese from the farmers market on top. Cooked mostly on the stove; broiled to finish off. A big wedge of that on top of garlicky olive oily toasted "Tuscan" bread. White wine. While watching American Beauty again.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

gallery_13038_837_143757.jpg

gallery_13038_837_16729.jpg

gallery_13038_837_44687.jpg

This dinner was the only one we cooked this week... Melon and prosciutto to start; avocado and pistachio crusted red snapper with black bean sauce, and a side of black beans and rice (chopped raw onion on the beans and rice :smile:); and later in the evening balsamic strawberries with vanilla ice cream and pine nuts.

Last night I made... an order for take out sushi and sashimi. It was a minor feast. The night before I had a meeting over dinner and ate Italian.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

What beautiful melon/prosciutto!

These days I get home so late from work that I have been cooking at night for the next day, so that I have something waiting for me. A good strategy for us working girls.

Anyway, yesterday I had:

Roasted tomato Tart with Mustard/Creme Fraiche Sauce

Mesclun Salad

The tart recipe is based on one that was in Food and Wine a while ago, it's very good and surprisingly easy. I made a wholewheat crust for it and used very small local tomatoes.

and for dessert, the ultimate gift: baklava brought from a friend in Saudi!

What beautiful melon/prosciutto!

These days I get home so late from work that I have been cooking at night for the next day, so that I have something waiting for me. A good strategy for us working girls.

Anyway, yesterday I had:

Roasted tomato Tart with Mustard/Creme Fraiche Sauce

Mesclun Salad

The tart recipe is based on one that was in Food and Wine a while ago, it's very good and surprisingly easy. I made a wholewheat crust for it and used very small local tomatoes.

and for dessert, the ultimate gift: baklava brought from a friend in Saudi!

I wish I could discipline myself to cook the night before work days, for dinner waiting when I get home. That tomato tart is a great idea and sounds good. You're helping me by inspiration!

Duh, so THAT'S what this stuff is supposed to look like... A friend came back from Italy raving about this, and so I tried serving some up myself... However, I used great big slices of cantaloupe, and the prosciutto didn't wrap around it very well -- completely unwieldy. Ah, the things you learn on egullet...

nice eberly chicken vertically roasted on Spanek:

mascarpone/lemon thyme (and we're talking copious amount of lemon thyme here) stuffed under the skin - served at room temperature, with borccolini and hazelnut mayonnaise (not shown):

lemonthymechicken25ks.jpg

Fantastic boid! Looks and sounds awesome

Chufi, how on earth do you find time to snap photos while serving a dinner party? That is one thing I have yet been able to do. Your salad looks awesome!!

well, my husband had been telling his coworkers about my 'hobby' so they were kind of expecting it.. and everytime I put a food or beverage on the table they kept asking 'can we eat or do you have to take a pic first??' :raz:

Susan that fish with pistachios and avocado looks very unusual and delicious.

and Helenas, that chicken! Wow!

My dinner tonight:

Grilled chicken breasts, that had been marinating all day in maple syrup, marmelade, soy sayce and mustard.

Courgette/mint/goatscheese pancakes.

Salad with pumpkinseedoil dressing.

Edited by Chufi (log)

Lemon thyme rules:

the family required encore of roasted chichen from couple of days ago but i coudn't bring myself cooking the same dish twice in such a short period so here is a variation:

deboned chicken legs stuffed with mascarpone/lemon thyme/garlic paste, wrapped in pancetta and roasted:

stuffedchickenleg48io.jpg

i'm forever grateful to mamster for his Pancetta Embossed Chicken

(below is my rendition circa late 2003)

chikpan39uo.jpg

for dessert - Lemon-Thyme Macerated Raspberry Compote, served with acacia honeyed creme fraiche

Lemon thyme rules:

the family required encore of roasted chichen from couple of days ago but i coudn't bring myself cooking the same dish twice in such a short period so here is a variation:

deboned chicken legs stuffed with mascarpone/lemon thyme/garlic paste, wrapped in pancetta and roasted:

stuffedchickenleg48io.jpg

i'm forever grateful to mamster for his Pancetta Embossed Chicken

(below is my rendition circa late 2003)

chikpan39uo.jpg

for dessert -  Lemon-Thyme Macerated Raspberry Compote, served with acacia honeyed creme fraiche

Oh my, that is good looking. :wub:

I'm glad you gave the link. Thank you, and thanks to Mamster. I've printed it out.

Well, um, after such beautiful pictures....we had charcoal grilled sirloin steaks rubbed with coarse black pepper, sea salt and toasted cayenne (we like spicy). Baked potatoes with Tillamook butter, sour cream, onion chives from the garden and s/p. A green salad that included a smoked cheddar from Tillamook and a new, for us, dressing, Jalapeno Ranch. Eh. Not such a hot selection. To me, home-made blue cheese dressing is the way to go. Or a vinagrette.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Awww, crikey. Had a luscious and satisfying muesli for brekkie, goat cheese and chive omelet for lunch, some freaking KITCHAREE for a snack, and this for dinner:

VBLVL.jpg

:blink:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

....but now I'm on an incredible sugar and chocolate high, its quite fabulous, really.

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!