• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Since we just got home from vacation we had to do a bit of pantry cooking last night.

Cosmo's while cooking in honor of NYC (where we were)

Patatas Rioja (potatoes with onion and chorizo)

Stuffed chiken breasts with serrano ham and a basque goat cheese

jelly beans for dessert :wink:

Pasta with onionconfit, lots of chopped fresh thyme, sage and marjoram. Blue cheese crumbled over it to serve.

Salad of baby leaves, marinated mushrooms, with a pumpkinseedoil dressing

big piece of milkchocolate with raisins and hazelnuts..

last night:

Broccoli and green beans served over basmatic rice with fennel and lime.

Topped with nori strips (my new love affair: seaweed).

Chocolate covered hazelnuts for dessert.

tonight (I think):

Cucumber salad with black olives (a la Behemoth/Wolfert)

Panko-crusted fried tofu strips

almond croissant for dessert

It was chilly today so I took advantage of probably one last day to do some braising.

The parsnips looked particulary nice so I made a beef stew with parsnips, carrots, baby red potatoes and nice Beaujolais. I also baked beer batter wheat bread which I took out of the oven and ate with bleu dau vergne Cheese.

Sometimes its nice to work at the "home office"

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

GYROS!

gallery_2_4_48610.jpg

Made with home-made Gyro meat (and freshly baked whole wheat pita) using Alton Brown's recipe, from a recent episode of Good Eats (click)

NOTE: Follow up discussion moved HERE (click)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sunday: Grilled chicken marinated with paprika, lemon juice and garlic, basted with thickened yogurt. Served with grilled pita, hummus and an avocado butter lettuce salad.

Monday: Brats, poached in onions and beer then grilled. Poppy seed buns. Saurkraut and mustard for me, mustard and indian tomato chutney for my supposedly "german" saurkraut-hating husband.

Today: When A travels I become the human trashcan. Leftover chicken and broth into tortilla soup, last packet of almond crush pocky, espresso, orange juice.

This was the thinnest pasta I had manged to make, I've been craving the ability to make pasta like this since eating a Langoustine Ravioli at La Tante Claire when it was at Royal Hospital Road! Great balance to the dish even if I do say so myself

Mathew - a quick question please - I too have been trying to make a very thin ravioli. How did you manage to cook the pasta so that it didn't fall apart while being so thin?

I have had trouble cooking thin Ravioli in the past, this time I used a saute pan so I had a large surface area, I only cooked 4 Ravioli at a time (they were probbably Raviolo) and I didn't let the water boil. I still lost one but had made backups in case.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Sunday:

Chicken breasts with homemade red mole sauce

Mexican rice

Chunky salsa and corn tortillas

gallery_5404_94_208863.jpg

Monday:

Leftovers from last night, also had some sliced olive sourdough bread around and finished it up with some cheese

Teusday:

Sirloin steaks topped with sautéed shallots and mushrooms, herb butter and served with red wine jus

Butter sautéed potatoes

Boston lettuce salad with Dijon vinaigrette

gallery_5404_94_66012.jpg

Dessert: Chocolate meringue “cookies”, vanilla ice cream, drizzled with chocolate ganache.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Totally made up a dish without a recipe and it worked perfectly! How shocking is that?

Got five chicken thighs from the Safeway, browned them in a Dutch oven on the stove. Removed chicken to a plate, poured off most of the fat. In the remaining tablespoon(ish) of fat, browned half an onion, two shallots, and several cloves of garlic. When it started sticking to the pan (oops, heat too high) I threw in a chopped celery stalk and half a cup of water, stirred it, added two sliced lemons on top and put the lid on. Five minutes later, removed the lid to find lots of liquid, then used part of a lemon to rub the flavor off the bottom of the pan. Removed most of the skin from the chicken and put it back in. Sliced the tops off two heads of garlic, set them down in the liquid, lidded it and put the pan in the oven at 350 for an hour.

When it was all done, I put the chicken and most of the onions on a plate, squeezed the roasted garlic into the liquid, and (after a mishap with the stick blender) put all that tasty liquid and garlic into the food processor and buzzed it smooth. Boiled up some egg noodles (I wanted pierogi, but the other eater in the household preferred the noodle option) and served the whole mess with the sauce on the side.

Now I just need a name for it and I can make it again!

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Day 1 of my girlfriend "suggested" diet :hmmm:

It was good.. However, i was going for a veal in a creamy safron sauce, but was forced to go with the white wine and mustard.. Flour instead of cream..

veal in a mustard sauce with cremini mushrooms

gallery_15057_181_870793.jpg

and a gorgonzola salad, with hearts of palm and peppers.

gallery_15057_181_188497.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Couscous with meatballs and an aubergine carrot tomato stew.

The meatballs were flavored with fresh coriander, chili and cinnamon, the stew with coriander and cumin seeds. I cooked the meatballs in the stew instead of frying them, to make the dish lighter.

Just before serving I felt it needed something green.. nothing green in the fridge exept the leaves of a bunch of radishes. Stirred those in at the last minute and it was delicious!

Yesterday: Lamb souvlaki with salad and garlic sauce.

gallery_1643_978_569019.jpg

Tonight: Boston Hotpot. A traditional English dish from Bolton-le-Moor (now just called Bolton I think). Lamb, onions, mushrooms, kidneys, oysters and potato.

gallery_1643_978_287952.jpg

The oysters completely disolve and act as a flavour enhancer (possibly due to glutamate?), the lamb remains very pink using this vessel to cook with. Served with roast parsnips, mint peas and sauted turnips.

gallery_1643_978_631278.jpg

So, I just acquired "Bugialli on Pasta" for $3 and change. My first test drive was the penne with vodka (he has some other name for it, but that's basically what it is...)

Anyway, it's not that I have a problem with heavy cream or anything, but this recipe involves a full cup per lb. of pasta. It tastes great but I feel like I'm about to keel over from major coronary failure. Has anyone else made this dish? Do you cut it with milk? Or am I just being a wuss?

black bread thinly spread with butter and wafer thin slices of radish, s & white pepper

carrot basil soup

mixed greens with vinaigrette

boy were those radish sandwiches good..... :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

So, I just acquired "Bugialli on Pasta" for $3 and change. My first test drive was the penne with vodka (he has some other name for it, but that's basically what it is...)

Anyway, it's not that I have a problem with heavy cream or anything, but this recipe involves a full cup per lb. of pasta. It tastes great but I feel like I'm about to keel over from major coronary failure. Has anyone else made this dish? Do you cut it with milk? Or am I just being a wuss?

It's my understanding that those are the classic proportions (and why this isn't one of my favorite dishes). I would add that the proportions of tomatoes and vodka might be different in your recipe, as it doesn''t usually taste overly heavy to me.

black bread thinly spread with butter and wafer thin slices of radish, s & white pepper

that sounds so good!

leftovers here

One of my family's faves that I invented a year or so ago: I'll serve crab cakes on a bed of lemon risotto (with peas in it) and top the crab cake with a dollop of chipolte Mayonnaise. Simple but pretty and a nice combination

Paul B

Paul B

last night of being single this weekend (dinner tomorrow night will be take away from barnstormer bbq in newburg, ny since i work till 5 pm) so a night of "stuff i like that johnnybird hates"

mashed potatoes(ok- he likes those as any good german/irish/dane would)

sauteed onion and garlic

lamb burgers

baby lima beans with dill and butter :wub::wub:

glass of 2003 ruffino chianti

last night was western sandwich on english muffin while i exchanged mash notes with fresser :rolleyes:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The weather hasn't really been warm enough for me to fire up the smoker lately. But last week I was jonesing for some chicken, and the kids were willing assistants.

gallery_16561_1041_68420.jpg

Chicken rubbed down and ready to go. Rub recipe came from Ron Shewchuck's Barbecue Secrets - the recipe was for Fajitas, but we had not tortillas so we improvised.

gallery_16561_1041_518408.jpg

The boys and Gromit making sure the meat is safe!

gallery_16561_1041_7481.jpg

Smoked chicken!! 1/2 went for dinner, the other half is in the freezer for when the next craving hits.

gallery_16561_1041_451135.jpg

Chicken was served with a salad (organic baby greens evoo & balsamic), shitake mushroom risotto and home made foccacia. Wine was home made Borolo :shock:

A.