• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

This has been a weird week because I've been using up leftovers (from the freezer) of the dishes I've made over the past few weeks... So we've had some strange combinations, like spaghetti with a sauce made from leftover beef stew in ale.

Tonight's dinner was feather-light buttermilk pancakes from a recipe in my Russian cookbook, served with bacon, sour cream... and an avocado that had just turned ripe.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

^Really beautiful photo.

Yesterday I made southern style collards, Italian-style roasted tomatoes, and Iranian jeweled rice (chelow/polow) for dinner. I had also made some with iced tea earlier in the week (thai style but without milk).

I was thinking about all the people who have shared these recipes with me and how this range of dishes have become part of my usual repertoire.

And I was really pleased my polow came out of the pan in one beautiful cake!

oh yes, and just some dried pineapple for dessert...

What to do with leftover fennel fronds:

gallery_17531_173_50344.jpg

Mussels steamed with olive oil, shallots, butter, fennel fronds, white wine, a little tomato paste and pernod.

Ciabatta with, and Pierre Herme's cocoa coffee nougatines with espresso for dessert.

Yesterday's dinner

Prawns in Lime-Coconutmilk sauce with chili, ginger, cilantro green, garlic and shiitake mushrooms.

gallery_23358_919_123710.jpg

A fancy duck-duckling on celeriac-potato mash with a dark truffeled duck stock.

gallery_23358_1064_178518.jpg

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Dinner yesterday was a special birthday celebration for a friend;

Salmon tartare with red oinion creme fraiche

Creme of asparagus soup

Pan roasted duck breast with a sour cherry sauce/reduction, sauteed spinach with garlic confit and rosti

Creme brulee with blood orange garnish

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I improvised a surf and turf of sorts: Trout pan-fried in beurre noisette, topped with sauteed shallot, oyster mushroom, bacon, white wine, a little vinegar and parsley. Quite successful, not to mention pretty colors. Served on top of potato roesti. I managed a photo of the trout, but the roesti too quickly vanished into, er, fat air :huh:

Dinner was the whole package pork shoulder, beer butt chicken, and turkey legs. Coleslaw and Potato Rolls. I used a little molassas in the spritz and the color was amazing.

gallery_16347_994_55137.jpg

I love spring.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Started with a Ratatouille Ravioli with Balsamic reduction and Parmesan Air:

gallery_895_976_30781.jpg

This was the thinnest pasta I had manged to make, I've been craving the ability to make pasta like this since eating a Langoustine Ravioli at La Tante Claire when it was at Royal Hospital Road! Great balance to the dish even if I do say so myself :rolleyes:

Moved onto Muscovy duck breast with a Madeira and Star Anise sauce, gnocchi and wild garlic:

gallery_895_976_35283.jpg

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

A fine evening for grilling here is SE TX. We had

Grilled Flat Iron Steaks

Grilled Shrimp with Garlic Butter

Grilled Asparagus

Sauteed New Potatoes with Spicy Ketchup

Rodney Strong Merlot

Life doesn't get much better than this.

Stop Family Violence

Lamb kabobs marinated in a blend of tarragon mustard, soy sauce, and lemon juice.

Glazed Vichy-style carrots.

"Forbidden" black rice.

A delicious, colorful meal but I had the dropsies today -- a kitchen knife missed my toes by inches, and two cooking spoons hit the floor before I was done -- then a pair of tongs jammed in a drawer when I tried to pull the drawer out, and when I opened the oven door to take the meat out of the broiler, the corner of the oven door hit & took a chip out of the drawer panel. :wacko: Not my day, so no photos.

SuzySushi

What is "forbidden" black rice like? Is it like wild rice.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Grilling in the rain- steak, scallops and asparagus with a green salad and Harp lagers.

No pictures of the finished dish- too hungry and WET! :rolleyes:

gallery_17172_1069_43240.jpg

gallery_17172_1069_1259363.jpg

gallery_17172_1069_216421.jpg

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Happy Birthday yesterday, Dinner! (As Susan in FL pointed out the other day.)

Hey Dana, we grilled flatiron steaks Saturday night -- served on lovely salad mix, topped with a button of maitre d'hotel butter. What a fantastic cut of beef flatiron is.

Last night, excellent cheeseburgers cooked by the Old Man, red red red inside, supercharry on the outside, extra extra purple onion slices (on mine; when I handed off my unfinished half to the ever-ravenous 13-year-old he edited the onion a bit) among all the other usual suspects. Cheddar and jalapeno kettle chips, Black Velvets, Stargate SG-1 Season 6 Ep 3, director's commentary.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Completely different, and unlike any other rice I've ever eaten. It looks like a medium-grain rice with plump grains, but the grains are distinct when cooked. It's very fragrant, with a nutty flavor, and a chewy texture like that of brown rice. My daughter put soy sauce on hers, but my husband and I didn't feel we needed to add anything (the rice was cooked in water with a pinch of salt).

It's a true rice, grown in China in iron-rich earth (which is partly where it gets its purplish black color) and supposedly was reserved for the Emperor. I don't know if that's just a marketing gimmick... black glutinous rice is fairly common in Southeast Asia, mostly in sweet dishes.

SuzySushi

Wow everyone, I've only recently started to get into the eG society, this is all so amazing and inspiring! OK, my first "What I cooked..." No pix yet, maybe I'll figure how to use the digital camera finally!

Friday:

Slow cooker boneless beef loin & baby back ribs with extra spicy rum bbq flavor and carmelized red onions with seared spinach.

Saturday:

Salty Edamame

Pork & green onion gyoza

(tried miso soup...it failed)

Shabu-Shabu

Rasberry sorbet

Sunday:

(out to eat at Pei Wei)

Tonight:

Soup: my own conglomeration with lots of veggies, chix stock, italian sausage and chx breast, extra peppery broth.

:wink: Genny

The picture is not as nice as it should be, and the black rice is a little bit overcooked but it will show you how black rice looks like.

gallery_23358_919_360743.jpg

The rice is very common in southeast Asia but nowadays also grown in Italy. I had it the first time at a wine tasting where two michelin star chefs served it as a risotto and a dessert. Both dishes tasted very good. I served it with grilled tuna and a slightly sour sauce.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

This was the thinnest pasta I had manged to make, I've been craving the ability to make pasta like this since eating a Langoustine Ravioli at La Tante Claire when it was at Royal Hospital Road! Great balance to the dish even if I do say so myself

Mathew - a quick question please - I too have been trying to make a very thin ravioli. How did you manage to cook the pasta so that it didn't fall apart while being so thin?

Life is short, eat dessert first

^legourmet, is that glutinous black rice?

I really have no idea. The text on the bag says that you can grind it and use it like flour to make tagliatelle, polenta, gnocchi, ravioli and desserts. It is very nutritive and 100 g black rice (Venere) deliver 377 kcal.

Other elements are:

Proteine 8,24%,

Fat 2,81%,

Calcium 159 mg/kg,

Ferrum 30,9 mg/kg,

Magnesium 25,5 mg/kg,

Zinc 26,7 mg/kg,

Selenium 0,043 mg/kg

What do you think was today`s inspiration for lunch, indeed black rice with chickenbreast and mango sauce.

gallery_23358_1064_47729.jpg

H.B. aka "Legourmet"