• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

my menu was a follows:

carpaccio with arugula/parm/ oil and crushed garlic

truffle chese, tallegio and chicken quesadillas.

then my stupid stovetop broke..so I threw my pan at the stupid broken offender (yet not destroyed (yet)) stove...yep...fucked it up some more..then I hit it with the spoon... until it died. victory was mine! skipped everything on my menu and ordered from Otto.

At least I made my own cheese plate...

Truffle cheese

Taleggio

Parmesean

Triple creme brie

Serrano ham

Truffle honey

drank copious amount of Torrontes from Mendoza...to soothe the broken stove.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Monday was still working on the booty from the Asian market... grabbed some beef short ribs and pork butt on the way home and trimmed and sliced them thin

whipped up a variation of Bulgogi marinade and sauteed some bok choi and maitaki mushrooms, heated up some udon noodle soup to serve with the seared meat, pickled daikon, and kimchee.....my husband asked where the lettuce was :hmmm:

"eat your ice cream"

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Needed some comfort food so dinner was soup & a sammich

gallery_12371_310_1105491144.jpg

shitake and wood mushroom soup (inspired by reese's mushroom soup a few weeks ago)

gallery_12371_310_1105491167.jpg

melted mozzarella marinated in basil salad (with the salad on top)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

my menu was a follows:

carpaccio with arugula/parm/ oil and crushed garlic

truffle chese, tallegio and chicken quesadillas.

then my stupid stovetop broke..so I threw my pan at the stupid broken offender (yet not destroyed (yet)) stove...yep...fucked it up some more..then I hit it with the spoon... until it died.  victory was mine! skipped everything on my menu and ordered from Otto.

At least I made my own cheese plate...

Truffle cheese

Taleggio

Parmesean

Triple creme brie

Serrano ham

Truffle honey

drank copious amount of Torrontes from Mendoza...to soothe the broken stove.

Sorry to hear about the stove, Luckylies, but congrats on your victory! :laugh::laugh:

Sounds exactly like how I would handle the problem had it cropped up today.

So far dinner tonight has been a martini -- we'll see what the next course is.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Thanks jake it's good to know someone gets it..

tonight was all oven and microwave...

chicken fat slow roasted carrots with garlic (I have alllllll the time in the world...) and micro poached eggs... splashed it with a smidge of worstershire sauce and cracked pepper...drank more wine...who needs a stove top anyway :cool:

ps. the micro poached eggs turned out 1,000,000X better than my stovetop version. huh. guess I need to work on that skill.

does this come in pork?

Luckylies: Kindly illuminate me as to basic means of poaching in the microwave.  Thanx.

Uh. Sure. I'm in.

Luckylies?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Took me 5 minutes to figure out that micro poaching meant microwave, so I"m definetly in.

Last night was cholesterol and protein overload...our son was going to the oral surgeon for some teeth extractions, so he wanted a 'last meal'. Poor boy! :huh:

Filet mignon with lots of bernaise sauce (way too time consumming...you know the prep to pleasure ratio? very skewed)

Sauteed green beans spritzed with key lime

"Farmhouse" potatoes: boiled in boullion with their skins and finished with a glob butter and mustard...sort of a rough mash.

Some very good red wine...Australian shiraz.

hillvalley, thanks for noticing :wub: i bet your version was better than mine!

last night i roasted some sausages and made a gratin with white beans, sauteed mushrooms and onion confit. shredded brussels with vinegar on the side to soak up the fat. K Vineyards "House Red" has a very childish label, but is absolutely fantastic for the $10.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Luckylies: Kindly illuminate me as to basic means of poaching in the microwave.  Thanx.

I know microwave poaching is dubious, yet sometimes you just don't want to wash another pot.

Okay, Take a large 4 cup pyrex and fill it with water, salt and some vinegar. Microwave on the highest setting until it's really hot (about 8 mins?) Sorry I cant be more specific. The water should not be boiling. Remove the pyrex and crack two eggs into it. Continue to microwave for 4 more minutes for a soft poach. Remove with a slotted spoon onto paper towels.

These turn out pretty well shaped, not perfect, but good.

I used to have little glass microwaveable bowls and I would fill them with very little water and use the same process, they turned out better shaped but not as delicate.

Good luck. May your curiosity be rewarded as mine has! :biggrin:

does this come in pork?

made this meatloaf from the newest eating well :http://www.eatingwell.com/articles_recipes/recipes/recipes_febmar05.htm/meatloaf_blue_plate.html

really, really good - probably the best i've ever eaten :wub::wub:

yellow and green squash

spinach cous cous

john had some 365 truffles from whole foods for dessert

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

umm, chestnut ravioli, i love anything chestnut

The kitchen is being renovated (a renovation initated by the landlord, not myself) and the fridge decided to go at the same time. This actually turned out well b/c the guys were there to fix it, but such a pain.

Anyways, I cooked at a friends the other night. We started with Lillet and boerenkaas cheese. Then I made sole en papillote (so easy, with ceremonial presentation), accompanied by artichoke bottoms filled with fava beans and almonds in a dill-lemon sauce (recipe from Claudia Roden, also very elegant). Served with some whole wheat epi I rescued from the freezer and Fat Bastard chardonnay. Gingerbread ice cream for dessert.

Tonight I grabbed this bottle of Voluntas Uva di Troia (Sicily) to go with my braised pork and creamed spinach (I love that stuff), it has quite a bite to it. Will be followed by a slice of almond tart also rescued from the freezer.

We had the following dinner last night

Entrance: Eel cake and horseraddish-cranberry terrine with shrimp in dill cream Wine: Heymann Löwenstein Riesling Winninger Röttgen 1998) Mosel

gallery_23358_595_1105493133.jpg

First course: Filet of monkfish and prawns in beerdough crust on lemongrass-sauce with green beans puree and red bellpepper tartar. Wine: Weisser Burgunder 2001 Bürgerspital Würzburg Franken

gallery_23358_595_1105492906.jpg

Second course; Sirloin of lamb in chanterelle crust on brown lamb stock with spaghetti Wine: D'Arenberg Shiraz 1996

gallery_23358_595_1105492963.jpg

Dessert: Quark dumplings filled with poppy seed paste on browned butter with plums. Wine: Mosel Riesling Auslese Milz Laurentiushof Trittenheimer Felsenkopf 1990 Mosel

gallery_23358_595_1105493017.jpg

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

We had the following dinner last night

Entrance: Eel cake and horseraddish-cranberry terrine with shrimp in dill cream Wine: Heymann Löwenstein Riesling Winninger Röttgen 1998) Mosel

First course: Filet of monkfish and prawns in beerdough crust on lemongrass-sauce with green beans puree and red bellpepper tartar. Wine: Weisser Burgunder 2001 Bürgerspital Würzburg Franken

Second course; Sirloin of lamb in chanterelle crust on brown lamb stock with spaghetti Wine: D'Arenberg Shiraz 1996

Dessert: Quark dumplings filled with poppy seed paste on browned butter with plums. Wine: Mosel Riesling Auslese Milz Laurentiushof Trittenheimer Felsenkopf 1990 Mosel

le gourmet,

your flavor combinations are so interesting - where do you get your inspiration? are any of these dishes regional/traditional? if so - to where? are you a trained chef? how often do you make such elaborate meals?

</interrogation> welcome, by the way :smile:

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Nowhere near as fancy as y'all, but...a good friend is visiting us this week, so I've been cooking a good bit, albeit homestyle.

Monday: The farmer lady I buy my meat from had these super cheap but very good organic stewing hens. Made for a very flavorful chicken stock, part of which was used for avocado soup with fried tortilla strips, and just enough breast meat to fill some simple enchiladas (both Diana Kennedy recipes). Oh, and I made my own queso fresco for the first time! The easy kind of cheese, curdled with vinegar, but it really worked. Also, a salad with arugula, goat cheese, shallots and walnuts.

Tuesday: Salad Nicoise and homemade pizzas. Ever since I started using the Peter Reinhardt dough method I've been really happy with my pies. Mine was simple Margherita, the menfolk added slices of prosciutto on theirs. I just had martini bianco with my food, I think they had beer.

Today: Stir fried pork with leeks (improvised dish) and David Thompson's pad thai recipe. The latter has a lot of fussy steps but god is it worth it. We drank beer with dinner. We all ate too much.

All three meals were followed by espresso and a shot of ransom grappa. We've been avoiding wine since we all need to work after dinner. (Guest is mainly here to talk research...)

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Excuse the blurry picture....or did you all just drink too much! :raz: or did I?? :blink:

Whole trout with apple cidre butter sauce and carrots sauteed in herb butter with scallions then glazed with balsamic.

gallery_16100_1_1105588175.jpg

served with a Lange Reserve Chardonnay (OR) excellent!!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

We made dinner from 2 recipes found in "Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen": Spinach salad (very simple, with hot bacon vinagrette) and Sausage and Peppers. Found the sweet sausages at a little Italian Deli - I'll be sure to go back there again very soon!

He with the weakness for pig meat,

michaeldauphinais

In vino veritas.

le gourmet,

your flavor combinations are so interesting - where do you get your inspiration? are any of these dishes regional/traditional? if so - to where? are you a trained chef? how often do you make such elaborate meals?

</interrogation> welcome, by the way :smile:

I've got my inspirations from various cook books and from cooking classes I took the last years. All of the recipes are more or less regional but not traditional. The entrance belongs to the northern part of Germany where eel is a very common fish. The eel cake is nothing but a terrine made in a baking form. Horseraddish is mostly a accompaniment to fish, which is dill cream too. The fish course is an inspiration of both German and Thai kitchen. The lamb dish was a first try to create recipes for oncoming cooking contests on which I like to participate. The dessert is derived from the common Austrian "Marillenknödel". Just the filling is different.

No I'm not a trained chef, but do cooking as a hobby for more than 30 years.

I do those meals approximately 15 to 20 times a year.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

legourmet, what's up with the eel cake?  I've never heard someone say "eel cake" and I'm sure if I did, someone like me would say, "what's up with the eel cake?"

Well, "eel cake" is an interpretation for an eel terrine made in a baking form. The arrangement on the plate shows a cake shaped piece of the terrine. So it's nothing but a help to appreciate.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"