• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Susan, I also love Marcella's chicken. I have had grown men starting fights over this at my table! I once made 2 of them when there were 4 of us and every scrap disappeared.

we had macaroni & cheese, thyme/garlic meatballs, panfried zucchini, cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette for dinner.

macacheese.jpg

And the most delicious peanutbutter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Again, I have to say, dessert was the best part of dinner...

chockoekjes1.jpg

Aaah I love the Marcella chicken method.  Looks just beeyootiful, Susan.

Would someone be able to paraphrase the Marcella method for me? I have that Marcella cookbook packed away in storage, and it sounds like the perfect recipe to try for my chicken lurking in the fridge!

I can only very roughly paraphrase because I can't find my Marcella right now, and I make the chicken without the book anyway after making it dozens of times..

- pierce a lemon (or 2, depending on size of chicken and lemons) all over with a fork

- put salt, pepper and lemon(s) in chicken's cavity

- put salt and pepper all over chicken

- roast chicken in hot oven breast side down for 25 minutes

- turn chicken over, turn down oven to medium hot, and roast until done depending on size of chicken.

Susan, I also love Marcella's chicken. I have had grown men starting fights over this at my table! I once made 2 of them when there were 4 of us and every scrap disappeared.

we had macaroni & cheese, thyme/garlic meatballs, panfried zucchini, cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette for dinner.

macacheese.jpg

And the most delicious peanutbutter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Again, I have to say, dessert was the best part of dinner...

chockoekjes1.jpg

do you have a recipe for those cookies?? : drool:

here you go

I made half the recipe, and instead of the two kinds of chocolate, used one 200 gram bar of high quality chocolate. (You can't get good chocolate chips over here so that's what I always do).

I was directed to this recipe by someone on the Cookiedough thread in the pastry forum...

I'm so glad to see there are other fans of Marcella's lemon chicken. Chufi, thanks for the paraphrase on the recipe. That's real close. I think it's turned up to 400 for only the last 20 minutes, but that might not be so significant. I've made it many times, too, but I keep reading the recipe each time because #1, my brain doesn't remember the temp., etc. and 2nd because I don't want to mess with success and accidently change anything!

I did LOL at the thought of paraphrasing anything that Marcella authored, though... is she not the wordiest writer for even her most simple recipes?!!

Tonight Russ cooked something he often fixes for himself when I'm not here, a basic pasta and marinara sauce with anchovies and shrimp added. Very good! I was glad I was here for it.

gallery_13038_1496_87403.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Looks like roasted chicken is having a run here. We also had roasted a chicken a few nights ago. Marinated in a balsamic vinaigrette and lemon juice for about 5 hours, using a recipe from Giada de Laurentis. It was really great, especially considering how little work it took.

gallery_23736_355_15673.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

here you go

I made half the recipe, and instead of the two kinds of chocolate, used one 200 gram bar of high quality chocolate. (You can't get good chocolate chips over here so that's what I always do).

I was directed to this recipe by someone on the Cookiedough thread in the pastry forum...

thanks!!

Garlic/herb boursin on baguette slices; Oliver Camelot mead or Killian's Red.

Nine-herb rotisserie chicken on a bed of fluffy rice to capture the juices.

The rest was leftovers: Last night's purplehull peas with snaps; shell pasta salad with cucumber and tomato. More fresh cucumber and tomato slices.

A lovely Tupperware of fresh Turmeric-spiced/brined paperthin sliced onion pickles, delivered this afternoon by a friend. Perfect with the meal.

Dessert: Haven't had it yet...I'm sipping Tawny Port before LOST comes on.

First time posting with a picture!

Freshly picked today, sliced these up nice and thick, then added some grey sea salt, pepper, and some really nice reduced balsamic.

gallery_25807_982_119004.jpg

ps sorry about the pic, its the camera on my phone :hmmm:

Edited by sadistick (log)

First time posting with a picture!

Freshly picked today, sliced these up nice and thick, then added some grey sea salt, pepper, and some really nice reduced balsamic.

gallery_25807_982_119004.jpg

ps sorry about the pic, its the camera on my phone   :hmmm:

hey! is that the napastyle panini machine i see in the background? i was looking at the catalogue today & thinking that it'd be a great present for the husband's b-day... do you use/like it?

edited to add: beautiful tomatoes, btw!! :)

Edited by dvs (log)

Those look good! Tomatoes are my favorite vegetable (well, along with eggplant). When they are juicy, flavorful, ripe and not mealy - what can be better?

hey! is that the napastyle panini machine i see in the background? i was looking at the catalogue today & thinking that it'd be a great present for the husband's b-day... do you use/like it?

I have a panini press (although a different brand), and I use it all the time, especially in summer. Granted, I'm somewhat of a sandwich junkie... :biggrin: But there are so many things you can use to make delicious paninis - and it's quick, fresh, and healthy. As simple or as elaborate as you want.

Hey DVS - Yes it is, I am not familiar with brands, I was told this one is a good one, and I love it. Nothing better than crunchy hot panini's!

Thanks for the tomatoe comments, I too love tomatoes, especially these... I cant say enough about the taste of these varieties...so tastey!

started with the daquerie cocktail from Killer Cocktails- yum, would never have guessed that was where fruit slushys came from :wink:

and a platter of rosemary crackers, Salumi finoccinoi (sp???) and a block of Asiago cheese.

Then lemon risotto and a salad

gallery_16100_231_215257.jpg

gallery_16100_231_501623.jpg

Last night Asian inspired chicken noodle soup (garlic tops, lots of ginger, baby bok chois, soy sauce, seasame oil, lime zest, lime juice, kafir lime leaves, and red rice wine vinegar are the additions to take it from standard to great) with a demi baguette from the bakery down the street.

Happy happy me.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

Last evening, easy-peasey lemon-squeezey, nice little chicken which had been butterflied and salted/peppered and left to dry in the fridge for a couple days, cooked near the top of a quick oven. Landed atop crunchy Romaine dressed with olive oil & Balsamic. Il Fornaio ciabatta. Saltylicious Tillamook butter. Rose of Cotes du Rhone.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Ann_T, this is haunting me.. it looks like you have the same side dishes in the background of these pics.. oh no that can't be.. please tell me what is it? Is it a curtain that looks very much like 2 plates of food?? :blink:

Ann, your meals always look wonderful, but that chicken has me wanting it NOW. Could you give a hint as to what you did?

Thanks!!!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

Yeah, the chicken looks nice, but the ribs! The ribs!!! Definitely no vegetarian dinner for me tonight. But this one is -

PenjabBeansLarge-vi.jpg

A friend of mine, Russian, is married to an Indian and lives in India. She shared this recipe with me. She calls it rajma (basically it is kidney beans curry) and says it is very poplular in Punjab. Lots of spices there! I served it over brown rice and with a dollop of sour cream on top (raita would've probably been better).

As I posted a month ago, I haven't been cooking much, as a new restaurant opened near me in Hoboken that's so supremely good and so reasonable that it's pretty pointless for me to cook anymore. Still, they're closed two nights a week, (and I do enjoy it,) and the August bounty in the farmers markets has been great, so here's some catch-up of my summer cooking...

A cold dinner of Insalata Caprese with fresh Hoboken mozzarella and red and green heirloom tomatoes, and prosciutto and melon...

capr-1-tabl.jpg

and a close-up of the tomatoes and mozzarella...

capr-1-close.jpg

A few nights later, the leftover tomatoes and mozzarella which were refrigerated in their juice were chopped up and tossed with hot pasta, with some cut up all-natural chicken sausage (grilled with lots of hickory chips) .....

pasta-bowl-in.jpg

pasta-plated.jpg

And then another dinner that started with a plating of Prosciutto di Parma and Prosciutto San Daniele, with melon, apricots and plums...

pr-melon-plate.jpg

Followed by another batch of heriloom tomatoes from the farmers market in Hoboken plus fresh Hoboken mozzarella...

capr-2.jpg

And then some fresh swordfish, grilled with apple- and cherrywood chips, served with black rice topped with quick-sauteed red and yellow cherry tomatoes, and fresh bi-colored corn...

sword-low.jpg

And now my new friends at the restaurant can cook for the rest of the week!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's