• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

I did exactly that, in a large Thai mortar! Just like you I also got the idea from Jamie Oliver.

Elie

that's so interesting because yours looks like it should (dry and crumbly) whereas mine went all wet and pasty in the mortar.

I used probably a little less mint than you did. You know with his recipes, a handful of this and dash and knob of that, things can vary. So use a little less mint and you'll be fine.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

yesterday I made chicken, roast with tarragon butter.

Here it is just coming out of the oven.. I wish you could smell it.. oh I love the smell of roast chicken!

kipdragon.jpg

and on the plate, with the potatoes roasted with the chicken, grilled sweetcorn, green beans braised with tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. In the background you can see my husband digging in. He has finally decided that he won't wait with eating until I'm done taking foodpics! :biggrin:

kipdragonopbord.jpg

today I made a salad with the leftover chicken, it's in the Composed Salad Cook-off

but because the weather's been so cold and unfriendly here I also wanted soup.. celery-parsley soup, with blue cheese. (today I used a Fourme D'Ambert, but I've made this soup with lots of different blue cheeses). Also garlic croutons that were fried in bacon fat.

selderijsoep.jpg

I seem to be triangulating my way back to Lebanese food tolerance. Day before yesterday, Italian. Yesterday, Indian. Currently simmering on the stove: North African potato tagine with olives and preserved lemons, and Moroccan-style lamb kofta.

Asian two nights in a row, after a really good shopping getting lots of good fresh stuff from the Asian market...

Tonight:

Thai Chilled Melon Soup

gallery_13038_1496_178749.jpg

Coriander Seared Scallops with Bok Choy and Hoisin

gallery_13038_1496_100316.jpg

Thai BBQ Pork with Lemongrass, and Gai Laan (Chinese Broccoli), Thai Style

gallery_13038_1496_146261.jpg

Last night:

The Thai style frog legs, cooking, and Khmer Pork with Yard-long Beans, served... We also had Jasmine rice that tasted so good, but was not photogenic.

gallery_13038_1496_95850.jpg

gallery_13038_1496_102080.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Munches of Cream Cheese, shrimp, roasted red pepper on sesame crackers. A new Oliver Camelot mead. Black-skillet-seared ribeyes a la Doe's Eat Place; Avocado salad with lime mayonnaise; English cucumber and tomatoes five minutes from the garden. Poufy garlic loaf with parmesan and basil.

Tawny port. Sci-Fi Friday night lineup.

I cooked for a gang of 26 last night. Unfortunately, no pictures as I was too busy cooking and everyone else was too busy munching or visiting!

Can this menu be any more international for a Chinese/Scottish family composition?

Greek salad, Chinese cucumber salad, Waldorf salad, Vietnamese summer rolls with B.C. smoked salmon, whole clove garlic bread or potato rosemary bread (store bought), Saudi Arabian lamb on flat bread, BBQ Manitoba bison strip loin or beef tenderloins, Cajun spiced BBQ chicken breasts, jasmin rice, English trifle, Okanogan Vallley cherries and white flesh peaches, Texas watermelon, daughter's choice of wines were a shiraz and a cabernet merlot from Australia, a merlot from Chile, and a white from the Okanogan. Nephew brought a Single Cask Old Barbados Rum, 1995 from Secret Treasures, for dessert.

There was nothing left except for the watermelon rinds and cherry pits! :laugh:

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

tonight's dinner is breakfast!

darling husband likes breakfast and wasn't well this morning so... one trip to the farmer's market later and he's having a scotch breakfast.

black pudding, sausage (links, he doesn't like lorne), fried egg, fried tomato, beans and a tattie scone. washed down with a mug of tea (what else :raz: )

I'll be having yoghurt, lol

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

I love to share recipes! I wish I could take more time for posting in RecipeGullet, in fact. But anyway, for now, this is the recipe I didn't follow. :biggrin: I did use the six cups of melon, but halved the hot chile sauce, and I didn't have any sweet chile sauce in the house. I also cut back on the amount of coconut milk, as I am still slowly, but successfully, acquiring a taste for coconut. I used the good stuff, Chaokoh brand.

I was happy to see it turn out pretty pink like that, and it wasn't even planned. Each time I go into that market, I can't resist buying two more of her little bowls, and those were the two I got Thursday.

The recipe for the pork and yard-long beans is in Hot Sour Salty Sweet. In case you don't have it: In a wok, add pork, sugar and salt to hot oil and garlic. After the pork changes color add fish sauce, the beans, and he says 1/4 water, but I added 1/4 cup chicken stock. Bring to a boil and cook a few more minutes until the beans are done but still crunchy and bright green, and serve garnished with cilantro. I had made dishes like this before, substituting green beans, and they were good; however, wow using the real thing this time, it was better.

Russ said Friday night Sci-Fi was good last night. I was restless and couldn't stay put to watch. He LOL'ed during Stargate and Atlantis. To keep this on topic... during Sci-Fi time he had popcorn and I had Breyer's Butter Almond and the new Brownie Mud Pie ice cream. :wub:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Chocolate chip cookie dough :wub:

It's got eggs, dairy and grain, what more could you want??? :biggrin:

gallery_20334_1332_79592.jpg

I should probably confess that there was a lovely antipasto salad late this afternoon so we just didn't feel the need for a proper dinner...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Lemon-Pepper roast pork loin, eggplant and tomato salad (Rachel's recipe from RecipeGullet - it's delicious!!), and doctored up Middle East Creative Grains Pecan flavor with some extra wheatberries, slivered almonds and golden raisins tossed in.

I'm going to use the leftover grain to mix with some ground turkey and make stuffed peppers for dinner tomorrow night. I'm going for a Middle Eastern flavored stuffed pepper with some zhataar in the tomato sauce and the bulghur, nuts and raisins in the stuffing. I'll report back, but only if it comes out well! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My parents went to a Chinese banquet so I got leftovers. My favourite was the quail. There was some really bad "lovebird" fried rice too--way too much snotty cornstarch-y sauce, and not a whole lotta anything else. :blink:

I also baked a blueberry pie, because I haven't been able to get Alinka's beautiful pie out of my head! I'll post a pic tomorrow. I didn't apply the egg wash evenly, so some of the pastry leaves are rather pale...

I also whipped up a big batch of Chez Panisse gingersnap cookie dough, so I was snacking on that all night. Great dough. Good amount of spices. :biggrin:

Linguine with Cumin Chicken, Tomatoes, Avocado, Cilantro and Sour Cream. (A tribute to my stepson who used to laugh at all the words in "What's for dinner, Mom?" and is now navigating F-18 Super Hornets.)

gallery_16228_317_87442.jpg

We ate late, after watching "Sideways". The food was good but the presentation was affected by the wine we drank during the movie. ( We did not drink merlot! :wacko: )

Braised pork loin with garlic, marsala and chanterelles

potatogratin with cherry tomatoes, capers and oregano

kohlrabi salad

Dessert: banana-coconut pancakes with vanilla icecream, cinnamon and chestnut honey.

This all sounds ok but..

- I was the only one who liked the pork

- the potatoes in the gratin were overbaked and mushy

- there was too much mayo in the salad dressing.

But we all agreed that dessert was wonderful :smile:

Hee! Chufi, such situations are one of dessert's major reason for being, I think.

Last evening, sashimi selection, seaweed salad (from the Japanese market), nice rice from the old cooker.

Individual okonomiyaki with sliced belly pork cooked crisp, and a quail egg broken on top after the final turn. (Kewpie mayonnaise, Otafuku okonomiyaki sauce.)

Pocky for dessert, three flavors: Fhncy Choco-Banana Decorer, new fave of the 13-year-old and his Dad; Almond Crisp, not too bad; Coconut, toastylicious.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I had Alinka-style garlic tofu, served with spinach sauteed with red onions and brown sugar and butter glazed baby carrots.

Alinka, it was delish! More of your recipes in RecipeGullet, please!

gallery_32355_1598_215825.jpg

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

my first "Dinner!" posting...

I have access to a BBQ for a few weeks, so I try to use it as often as I can.

last night dinner, pork loin ( marinated in oil and herbs ), roaster carrots, potatoes and green onions.

simple, but good.

Since I'm not good at plating dishes, I can only show the cooking phase.

bbq.jpg