• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Last night was so easy and so tasty - Frogmore Stew - two pounds of shrimp, two pounds of small red potatoes quartered, a pound of kielbasa in bite size pieces and four ears of corn halved. This will feed the four of us twice. I must learn to do the photos. For once, this looked great.

Indulged in a craving last night while the SO was away - cheese grits with shrimp, hot sauce on the side. Yummy, no picture, SO has the camera, and anyway, it's not a photographically beautiful meal!!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

[...]

Last night's dinner was appie pie. I had leftover pastry dough so I decorated my pie with pastry leaves.[...]

That's pretty. :smile:

Ignorant question: How did you make the pastry leaves? A mold, I guess?

Klary, that jelly pudding looks really intriguing.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Inspiring photos and menus, again, up there above.

Last evening, nice little lamb loin chops on the old Weber, marinated briefly in olive oil and brushed with more of the same from a rosemary brush while cooking.

Clarissa squash, sliced and grilled before the lamb, cut up and stirred into risotto. Nice crispy salad mix dressed with olive oil and Balsamic. Il Fornaio ciabatta. Cold pink wine. Icy sparkling water.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Zucchini Buttermilk Soup with Watercress Pesto (didn't blend as well as I had hoped) served with Goat Cheese Crostini. Recipes from Cooking Light of course...

gallery_18558_1478_3782.jpg

Clarissa squash,

Priscilla what is clarissa squash??

Hi LMF, Clarissa is what some vendors at my local farmer's markets call a slightly teardrop-shaped pale green stripey zucchini type summer squash. Some also call it Mexican squash. (I've also seen a similar squash labeled Middle Eastern squash at the Middle Eastern market.) Among summer squashes it's a favorite.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Ham, zucchini, Vidalia, serrano, mozzarella & ricotta frittata. Nibbled at while processing approximately a bushel & a half of tomatoes in an old but very cool juicer held together with duct tape.

One Bloody Mary apiece made with tomato water & Old Bay.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

The most wonderful surprise:

Coming home late after work and class and starving to find my boyfriend cooking dinner for me. He refused to let me come into the kitchen (that's difficult), made me sit down and relax with a glass of Trimbach Riesling while he cooked.

An excellent shrimp pad thai for dinner and ice cream with homemade caramel is a sure way to win a girl's heart.

today was a cold and rainy day in Amsterdam.. 15 C/ 59 F.. so I was craving autumnal comfortfood.

I made leek, mushroom, porcini and barley soup - cooked in stock from a porcini stock cube.. with a slosh of Marsala added at the end. Delicious.

And a salad of mixed cold rice (red, brown, wild) with belgian endive, parsley, mint, tomato and lots of lemon juice.

A nice frugal dinner after the fatty and sugary extravagances from earlier this week.

I am just in awe of all the lovely meals that everyone seems to have on a casual old weeknight. I cook dinner every night, and everyone is always pleased, but all the descriptions and ESPECIALLY pictures of the plated dinners and the PIES!!! are just outstanding (fabulous) (WONDERFUL) (Scrumptious) Words just fail me.

Last night at our house: Hubby had pickled herring and a Killian's Red while we cooked: Skillet-seared T-bones; steamed baby pink potatoes with a sour cream-chive-seasalt mixture dribbled over; just-picked-from-the-garden English cucumber, cut into sticks for dipping into homemade Maytag dressing; Sliced fresh tomatoes; buttered crusty baguettes. Homemade vanilla ice cream with a warm sauce of fresh maroon cherries, simmered in a little skillet of sugar, Buttershot and a slurp of Barista Vanilla syrup.

Susan,

Can you tell me about that turtle votive holder..

We were in a nice restaurant that didn't make it in New Smyrna Beach, which is just south of here. It was called Turtles. Underwater scenes were tastefully painted on the walls and the decor was of course beachy, with turtle motives included. Each table had one of these candles on it and we raved about it. For some reason the owner was attending to us closely that night, and when we complimented him on everything and especially this candle, he gave it to us! Our turtles have since been near and dear to our hearts, remaining on the porch. :smile:

Tonight I was in the weekend mode. I got that way at the end of the work day today.

My job brought me to the town where our favorite seafood market is, and I couldn't pass up going in there to get something for dinner, to go with corn and pea risotto which I had already planned. I wanted everything in the store, but finally decided upon a soft shell crab (they were frozen), three fresh scallops, and a few fresh local shrimp for each of us. Before dinner we had some Saga Bleu stuffed celery to snack on while we were cleaning shrimp, husking corn, and shelling peas. We enjoyed a Beringer Napa Valley Chardonnay with dinner. After dinner for dessert we had grilled store-bought pound cake with berries and fresh whipped cream.

gallery_13038_1496_77295.jpg

gallery_13038_1496_7829.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Hot Day Dinner, with all roasting done in big portable electric oven upstairs away from dining room: Chantal's Wild Rice, Apple and Pink Peppercorn Salad (from Recipe Gullet), served room temp and topped with Mirin/Tamari-marinated grilled shrimp; Roasted Beets, diced and tossed in red wine vinegar/sugar/seasalt; Crisp cold cucumber sticks with Ranch dip; Crusty baguettes. Heath Bar Eskimo Pies for dessert.

Last night was comfort food served up with a heapin' side of love and affection from my friends. That's better than eating a meal at El Bulli!

Summer salad - mixed greens, sliced baby carrots, sugar snap peas, feta cheese and pine nuts with balsamic dressing

Penne and gnocchi in tomato sauce w/ turkey meatballs and grated parm

Wednesday - Grilled bone-in ribeye, cut from a standing roast I bought

Before...

gallery_21049_162_43484.jpg

After...

gallery_21049_162_3177.jpg

and plated with mushrooms sauteed in duck fat, mushroom and spinach risotto, onion confit and grilled spring onion

gallery_21049_162_70099.jpg

this meal didn't compare to the wonderful meal a few eGulleters met for yesterday at StudioKitchen

Cheers

Percy

Last night's efforts from my beautiful wife "J"

gallery_16561_1041_3143.jpg

Grilled Pizza w/ Smoked Chicken, Gruyere, Grilled Oyster Mushrooms, Grilled Peppers & Topped with Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Parm-Reg

(No, I'm not sucking up ... she really is beautiful.)

A.

Thanks Ann for the bread pudding recipe - it looks delicious!

Last week, when planning the week's meals, I decided to pick out a cookbook, open to a page and make a recipe on that page... So this meal is what resulted. This is Minty Avocado Shrimp Salad with Jamaican Gingerbread, both recipes from Sheila Lukins All Around the World Cookbook. If you're wondering where the mint is on the salad, it appeared on the salad after I took the picture...since I forgot that part until the last minute. Anyway, both recipes were excellent!

gallery_18558_1478_3207.jpg

Dinner at dusk tonight on the porch... They're saying we are having a sand storm that is giving the sky an even more orange color than usual, and making for some stand-out beautiful sunrises and sunsets. It's been making for some great dinner ambience.

gallery_13038_1496_80393.jpg

I made Fresh Corn Muffins, from Food & Wine August 2004 this afternoon to go with tonight's dinner. Russ really liked them. I don't have a great appreciation for cornbread and such. It always seems too dry for me.

gallery_13038_1496_126463.jpg

We rotisserie-grilled a duck, and had steamed broccoli and sauteed potatoes, mushrooms, and sweet onions with it. We cooked the potato mixture in duck fat and finished it with a touch of truffle oil.

gallery_13038_1496_124433.jpg

Nan, nice! That sounds so good. The mint with avocado and shrimp appeals to me, and what a touch, Gingerbread. I'm going to look up those recipes... Could be on our menus soon! I love all my Silver Palate and Sheila Lukins cookbooks.