• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

usual before concert cookout for the revelers:

beer

water(for the one in recovery)

lemonade and iced tea (for the grill chef - me)

ribs that had been dry rubbed, cooked slowly in the oven and finished on the grill

hamburgers

nathan's hot dogs

coleslaw

slllooowwww baked beans

macaroni salad

then made them sandwiches for the after concert gorging, shipped them off and took a cool shower

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thursday (Bastille day):

Assortment of cheeses and olives

fresh greens & flowers with vinaigrette

good bread

boudin blanc* sauteed with apples onions & much butter

home-made Peach sorbet

fresh peaches macerated in sauternes

bakery cream puffs, served with fresh cherries & drizzled with chocolate sauce

*that was what I asked for, but the sausage shop gave me some unknown spicy sausage by mistake which I didn't realize (since I had helpers in the kitchen) till it was already in the pan & cooking. tasted OK but NOT the dish I was trying to make...

Saturday - Bastille-day inspired wine & cheese party:

Cheeses: Morbier, roquefort, pepper boursin, Pyrenees Mont cayal?, young & old goudas, home-made goat cheese :wub:, gorgonzola & home-made marmalade.

Breads: baguettes, mini coissants, crackers, big coissants

Olives: lucques, nicoise, picholines, picholines? with herbs de provence

Brie tartlettes with an apricot chutney drizzled on top

Fruits: wild berries, fresh cherries, casaba melon

Desserts: One friend brought a chocolate tarte with orange cream topping

another brought pain au chocolate & almond coissants from a local bakery, and a third made a "buche du Bastille" :laugh: Theories differed as to whether it was a torch carried on the way to the bastille, or a piece of wood from the Barricades - the only thing certain is that it was as tasty as it was silly....

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Brie tartlettes with an apricot chutney drizzled on top

what a wonderful idea.

I have some catching up to do, but not many memorable meals to tell you about. I did make a wonderful rice cake with spinach and ham last week, like a very dense risotto, with a high ratio of spinach to rice. Baked in the oven until firm. Delicious.

Another good thing were redcurrantcreams for dessert, with home made redcurrant jelly.

Yesterday I made a fresh sweetcorn and basil risotto. And some fantastic meatballs. The mix was half pork half beef, I mixed in garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.. and then, thinking of Marlenes peanutbutter burgers, I mixed in a tablespoon of peanutbutter. Lovely, juicy meatballs and nobody could detect the peanutflavor!

Today, the best thing to do with leftover risotto (maybe I like this even better than risotto :biggrin: ):

gallery_21505_358_33670.jpg

We also had vegetable soup (leeks, tomato, onion, garlic, chucks of zucchini, rosemary) and bluecheese toasts made with a delicious dutch blue.

First post here as I don't have a digital camera and am not exactly a heavy poster, but motivated by tonights meal and the residual effects of the wine I thought I would add to this mega-thread.

Started with some thin long radishes with irish butter and maldon salt.

2nd was some toasted Acme wheat bread rubbed with tomato, a drizzle of local olive oil and a piece of serrano ham.

3rd was a napolean of japanese eggplant with some very good ricotta and a tomato sauce with a bit of genovese basil from the garden

4th was halibut cheeks on creamed leeks with green beans.

The final savory was meat from the bones of a leftover pork roast that had been braised in the tomato sauce stuffed into zucchini w/ a maitake mushroom sauce.

For dessert I made quenelles of the leftover ricotta with some candied orange zest. These were then sprinkled with some crushed spanish turron and a drizzle of warm honey and a bit of an 8 yr balsamic.

All of this was washed down with a nice Isabel Sav. Blanc from NZ, a Ribero del Duero and a final shot of Limoncello.

I was fortunate that the northern California weather was kind and the fog just barely stayed away for this long late afternoon outdoor meal.

Thursday:

Angel hair with garlicky shrimp, chilli and crunchy bread crumbs.

gallery_5404_94_120076.jpg

Nectarine crostadas with vanilla ice cream for dessert

gallery_5404_94_126166.jpg

Friday:

beer braised homemade brats with parlsey-chive mashed potatoes

gallery_5404_94_119814.jpg

Homemade ice cream (mint and chocolate) with chocolate sauce for dessert.

gallery_5404_94_165585.jpg

Saturday:

My son's 2nd B-day. We had:

baked zitti with ham and ricotta

brined baked chicken with rosemary, vermouth lemon and garlic

chickpea and carrot salad

The cake was the Tuxedo Cake from the Pastry Queen book (Click here for the book thread)...of course the Thomas The Engine theme is mine :smile:.

gallery_5404_94_24854.jpg

Sunday:

Leftovers

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Braised Rabbit with Homemade Tagliatelle

My terrible picture and complete lack of any presentation does no justice to the amazing deliciousness of this dish. My whole family loved it (except my mom, who refused to eat rabbit because it was too "weird" and then had a panini and potato chips instead of the rabbit and pasta :sad: ). This batch of pasta turned out to be by far the best I've ever made at home. Wonderful texture and great flavor. Can't wait until the next time I've got time to make some more.

gallery_18974_1420_891222.jpg

Had friends over for a Shrimp boil.

gallery_394_349_815062.jpg

There were 2 kinds of sausages, smoked pork from I got at the farmers market and a habenero and hatch chile smoked turkey sausage. I noticed a big difference between the farm raised u15 shrimp from Costco and the wild, smaller shrimp from Central Market.

tomato gratin (with homemade tomatoes!), mache and frisee salad w. white truffle oil vinaigrette, fougasse w/ gruyere and black olives

How do you exactly "make" tomatoes at home :smile: ? I'm guessing grown in your garden, right? I just couldn't help but comment on it.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Chicken-cheese burritos with tomatillo sauce. I had never cooked tomatillos before. I didn't know that they are kind of slimy, like okra. But the sauce turned out great.

Champagne. To celebrate meeting the Basilman 12 years ago at the farmer's market. :wub:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

gallery_33863_1498_2012.jpg

I believe this is called Muc Xao Thap Cam (or darn close) with spring roll.

Noodles, squid, chicken, peppers, pineapple, onion.

~Kim

~K

Thank you as well for the conversational haitus. I generally refrain from speach during gustation. There are those who attempt both at the same time. I find it coarse and vulgar.

Big Dan Teague

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I didn't get a chance to read this thread the last few days so I got caught up today. The food here is inspirational. Love all the wonderful pictures.

Alinka, One of my favourite meals is a chicken pot pie and your chicken pie looks wonderful. I could almost taste it.

Susan I love rosemary and lamb so I'm defintely going to try the rosemary skewers next time. And Chufi, the sweet corn and basil risotto also sounds wonderful and I like what you did with the leftovers.

I tried a new recipe last night. Shrimp stuffed with Crab with a Cucumber, tomato and mint relish. It was very good but not something I would make again. I have other Crab stuffed shrimp recipes that I like better. Although I will make the cucumber tomato relish again and serve it with grilled chicken souvlaki.

This picture isn't great but it was my first attempt using a new camera. Might take me a while to figure it out.

28840279-M-1.jpg

Our season's first tomatoes, sliced and sandwiched between smooshy potato bread with a slick of mayo, sea salt and some crispy pepper bacon. Diet Pepper sparkled over ice; Chunks of chilled Decker melon for dessert.

I'd never heard of it til we moved here---it's the sweetest, heaviest, juiciest, most flavorful cantaloupe ever. The season is short and the area regional, it seems. Deckers must be what they were serving at Goblin Market, for we long for them all year.

Dead Zone on TV. AMH is pretty yummy himself. :rolleyes:

How do you exactly "make" tomatoes at home  :smile: ? I'm guessing grown in your garden, right? I just couldn't help but comment on it.

Elie

heh...i can't believe i said that...(hey, it was 3 o'clock in the morning :blink: when I posted that) yes, homeGROWN tomatoes- mmm

Edited by Macarons&Mozart (log)

Yesterday's dinner started with appetizers of pinwheel salmon on dense, whole rye bread, topped with chives

gallery_21049_162_27169.jpg

and seasoned cucumbers and tomatoes on the same bread (I actually added some coriander chutney after taking the picture).

gallery_21049_162_62332.jpg

I had prepared this rack of baby back ribs the previous night and planned to smoke it with hickory.

gallery_21049_162_20276.jpg

...unfortunately mother nature had other plans and I was unable to smoke it outside and I ended up trying to smoke it in the oven, which did not work out as well. Topped 3 different sections with 3 different sauces (Bone Sucking Sauce, Tony Roma's Original and Stubb's Original).

gallery_21049_162_96881.jpg

percyn

Pleeease invite me for dinner! (I'd prefer the Friday one) :biggrin:

Everybody's dinners look delicious. I've noticed shrimp seems to be the popular theme lately :smile:.

I'm Russian, and I craved some comfort food tonight. But I wasn't up to starting making borsch or pelmeni (takes forever!), so I had the next best thing: a perfect Greek salad with the freshest ingredients. I'm full and happy now :smile:.

Percyn, wonderful pictures. Especially love the salmon pinwheels. Alinka, I was craving comfort food tonight too. We had what I always call Diner food. Hot chicken Sandwiches with homemade fries and canned peas. One of my favourite restaurants when I was young always served canned peas with their hot chicken sandwiches so it is a tradition.

28923137-M.jpg

leftovers from the b-day party again, but a little "kicked up". I chopped up the chicken and potatoes and garlic, defrosted some filo dough and made a chicken strudel and topped it with the lemony garlicky sauce from the pan I baked the chicken in. Served it with the last of the chickpea salad. Came out quiet awsome

gallery_5404_94_50053.jpg

Dessert- Since I had the filo dough out, I made some baklava. Boy is is this stuff addictive.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Southern-fried chicken wings, soaked four hours in seasoned buttermilk, then breaded and fried. Baby green peas; a bowl of "trash"--my Mother's word for a mix of diced garden tomatoes, fresh-picked cucumbers, green peppers and Vidalias, simply salted and left for half an hour to make their own dressing.

The centerpiece of the meal was individual bowls of just-picked creamed corn, quickly simmered with butter, salt, and all of the crispins out of the chicken skillet--Hubby does all this dish himself, from shucking to cooking. :wub:

Rainier cherries and chunks of Decker melon for dessert.