• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

I stirred some leftover blackbeans and some sauteed chicken breast into the leftover-leftover mole. Stuffed it into soft warm flour tortilla's.. served with zucchini-basil-parmesan fritters, and tomato-coriander-jalapeno-salsa.

I'm so glad there's still more mole in the freezer. This stuff is divine!! :wub:

Ling, I always make extra cream cheese frosting for my cake too. I think I consumed about a pound of it this weekend alone.

Klary, I love the idea of someone over on the other side of the pond raving over mole and dishing up refried beans (if you think of it as tex-mex maybe it will help improve the image of Texas overseas).

Anyway, inspired by my dinner out last night I made porcini risotto. It didn't come together as well as it normally does (I was using grocery store "risotto" rice, as opposed to bona fide arborio/cavolo nero), but some extra cheese fixed that.

A small green salad and then more carrot cake.

Ling, I always make extra cream cheese frosting for my cake too. I think I consumed about a pound of it this weekend alone.

I think I ate a pound of it last night too. There wasn't quite enough for the cake...I had to scrape it pretty thin. Oops! :raz:

I didn't cook tonight, but my mom made one of those traditional Chinese birthday dinners for my dad. We had yee mein, free-range chicken (head and feet attached, of course), bbq'ed duck, roast pork, braised shiitake, a variety of vegetables (gai lan being my favourite), soup, mango pudding for my mom and dad, and the last pieces of Frog Commissary carrot cake (this I made yesterday) for the kids (me included).

For a birthday dinner in my household, this is considered rather light. My dad is watching his weight.... :wink:

Edited by Ling (log)

Yesterday was very inspiring foodwise: first, I scored some great cookbooks at the State Library's annual booksale (100,000+ books!!!).

Then, we stopped at the main Daiei store in Honolulu. It's a Japanese-owned supermarket, and its stock is heavily Japanese, but the main store has been remodeling recently and putting in more "other Asian" ethnic foods.

For instance, I was pleasantly surprised to find Thai eggplants (somewhat larger than the typical pea-sized, but green-striped round ones), fresh galangal, Kaffir lime leaves, and pea sprouts (which I'd never tried before) in the produce department, along with a beautiful atemoya (aka cherimoya or custard apple) for dessert.

Those groceries produced tonight's Thai dinner:

Thai Green Curry, made with pork and the Thai eggplants, along with a heavy dosing of fresh basil and cilantro.

Stir-Fried Pea Sprouts, seasoned simply with lots of garlic, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of sugar.

Fragrant brown rice. (I ladled more curry sauce over my rice after the photo was taken.)

And the lovely atemoya for dessert.

gallery_27586_876_58308.jpg

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Dinner Recap:

Friday -- Cannot remember though I do recall eating some chile/lime pistachios from Trader Joes.

Saturday -- the Wild West burger at Game Works

Sunday --

Grilled:

* Pork loin chops that were dry rubbed (Coppola's merlot and herb dry rub)

* Cubanelle peppers, green peppers, daikon rounds, onion wedges, and eggplant of which 3 slices had crumbled feta and 3 slices had this fantastic cheese that we bought at the Green City market on Saturday and I cannot remember what it's called now

* Stovetop roasted jalapenos

* A slice of foccacia (again from the Green City Market)

Dessert was a mix of Bristol Cherries and Sour Cherries

gallery_2590_1459_42209.jpg

There's a yummy in my tummy.

Last night, salt encrusted baked red snapper stuffed with lemon and herbs; black and mahogany rice, mango salad.

Tonight, something with Lupini beans - ideas welcome as I just picked up some lovely fresh ones.....

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Saturday a beautiful whole Copper River salmon, fileted and grilled skin-side-down without turning, crispy skin-side landed on crispy dressed salad, La Brea Bakery baguette. Cold pink wine. Excellent -- best salmon so far this season. Looking forward to further exploration.

Edited to put in a left-out r.

Edited by Priscilla (log)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Well, I just got this slicer a few days ago and I thought I'd bbq a small tri-tip to break it in. I marinated and basted the slab with a concoction I put together consisting of bottled raspberrry jalepeno marinade (sometimes raspberry/chipotle), maple syrup, fish sauce, worchestershire, garlic, s&p and sometimes sriracha and mustard. The roast had a real nice crust on it and a wonderful flavor. I walked away from the bbq to work on the sides and forgot about the meat outside. I ran and got it off the heat but it was cooked a bit beyond where I like it...medium to medium rare. It was still really good and tender.

Coupled this with a small baby green salad, braised artichokes and a side of sauteed wild mushrooms. (I keep on forgetting to take pics of the sides)

Bob

gallery_22252_902_58.jpg

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

For dinner tonight, I'm making:

Tuna poke salad w/ mango pineapple salsa

Greek cucumber-tomato salad

Grilled dry-aged rib eye steak

Sauteed spinach and mushrooms w/ garlic

Rice (eh, the 888 should give the reasoning away...hee hee)

Chocolate foundue w/ strawberries and bananas

I'm debating on the tuna - should I make it poke style or make it more ceviche style. I like the flavors of the poke - soy sauce, sesame oil and a pinch of chile fakes but the ceviche is cool, too. Hmm.

I made a long overdue birthday dinner for my boyfriend on Saturday night. The first course was caramelized apples and gruyere on wild rice-walnut-orange bread. The recipe was from the Golden Door Cooks Light and Easy.

sandwiches29ge.jpg

The main course was pepita crusted salmon with a shrimp ragout from the Kinkead's cookbook.

salmon4na.jpg

A cheese plate was next. A couple of cheddars, gruyere, and a blue cheese.

cheeseplate9mx.jpg

And dessert was blueberry white chocolate cheesecakes from from Alice Medrich's A Year in Chocolate. Sorry, bad picture - too bright.

cheesecakenoadjustments2ko.jpg

We shared a bottle of Cotes du Rhone which went well with the salmon.

wine7fd.jpg

Sunday was dinner with friends. Apps were roasted peppers with leftover walnut-orange bread. I don't have pictures of the rest of the meal but we had gnocchi with tomato sauce, chicken milanese, and ricotta mousse with fresh berries and chocolate-orange-walnut biscotti for dessert.

roastedpeppers1fd.jpg

Lobster Bisque w/Truffle Butter - made from homemade lobster stock

gallery_21049_162_10358.jpg

Lemon ginger pork with mushroom napolean and roasted organic carrots - pork was marinated in soy and ginger confit. Mushroom napolean was inspired by Brian Z and included sauteed baby bella, satueed shallots and some ricotta. Organic baby carrots because I came across them in the farmers market that day.

gallery_21049_162_54610.jpg

Lemon Sorbet with fresh basil and olive oil - sorbet is store bought, but organic. The basil gives that summer food taste and EVOO takes the edge off the acidity of the lemons giving it a rounder mouth-feel.

gallery_21049_162_8205.jpg

Last night I had a Rib Eye steak and pasta with pesto but the star of the night was a tomato salad. It was made with the last of the home-grown tomatoes my mom sent back with me when my vacation ended. I tossed them with thin slices of the last of my Vidalia onions, a chiffonade of fresh basil, diced garlic, some smashed kalamata olives all mixed with a wee bit of kosher salt (not too much since the olives were salty), fresh ground pepper, evoo and basalmic vinegar. Heavenly!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A very light meal last night: mushroom soup made with porcini, white button, and cremini and a basic tomato bisque that was garnished with sour cream.

To accompany, a wheat baguette.

There's a yummy in my tummy.

the triple h day so it will be a cold dinner tonight. everything is prepped and in the fridge ready to go whenever johnnybird gets home

mixed greens

roasted peppers

curried chicken waldorf salad

crab salad (to be made into small sandwiches with some multigrain bread)

radish and cucumbers in vinaigrette

tomatoes

radish soup

bi color corn(this will be zapped in the microwave)

for dessert there is a leftover mixed berry steamed pudding with hard sauce

in the fridge: corona and limes, the makings for a hendricks martini, bottle of frexinet carta nevada(if i can find some decent peaches and ranier cherries this will become white sangria), bottle of key limen wine, lemonade and (unsweetened) iced tea.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Saturday:

Braised beef tongue, Colombian style, with potatoes, yuca, peas, tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice. I love the texture and taste of well prepared beef or veal tongue and this is one of my favorite preparations. Served it on top of white rice.

Sunday:

Parmeggiano and Proscuitto (sp?) sformato, a rich savory Italian "flan" made with parmeggiano cheese and baked wrapped with Parma ham. I served with it some thin sliced grilled leftover steak from lunch.

Monday:

Mujadarra, Lebanese lentil and bulghur pilaf with cabbage salad and pickled turnips.

Chcocolate ice cream for dessert.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Dinner last night was calzones (homemade of course)

Pepperoni and cheese for the kids.

Meatball, pepperoni and cheese for the man of the house. He wanted sausage too, but we didn't have any.

And for myself, marinated artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, onions, meatballs and cheese.

Served with romaine & frisee salad.

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Lynne Rosetto-Kasper's turkey burgers with provolone; Trader Joe's cheese fries, which were just eh; our first of the season homemade pickles (Epicurious' Spicy Dills) and pickled green tomatoes

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.