• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

took part in the Burger Cook Off last night- ground our own chuck, burgers served with chedder, grilled walla walla sweet onions, fried egg, bacon, etc. hubby made potato chips and I made watermelon and jicama salad. served with a 1996 Rioja for kicks!

gallery_16100_231_34057.jpg

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

little ms foodie, that's a "high" proportion of onions to burger.

I've just hear someone else somewhere say that they expect a similiar ratio.

But I've never heard of this (though it sounds interesting).

Comments, if any?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Awaiting are a chopped salad of iceberg, vidalias, radishes, cucumber and several colors of bell pepper, with my Hubby's favorite sweet Southern dressing of wine vinegar, sugar, mayo and garlic.

A bowl of diced fresh tomatoes, shredded basil, gratings of fresh parmesan, with a little crumbled queso fresca, in EVOO--to be tossed with angelhair hot from the pasta pot.

Slices of summer squash and chunks of onion, tossed into a hot pan with last night's marinade (soy, garlic, brown sugar) and pan juices from some boneless pork chops.

Cold watermelon chunks for dessert.

Edited by racheld (log)

Bul Go Ki; Korean Fire Beef -- with sticky fried rice and julienned-ish English cucumber.

gallery_28832_1138_43058.jpg

Flank steak cut into thin slices against the grain and marinated in soy sauce, sesame seed oil, toasted sesame seeds, pepper, rive vinegar, garlic, brown sugar and some cayenne pepper. Very simple and really tasty, very rich.

One caveat: make a bit extra, because you'll inevitably lose a few strips when you BBQ 'em (and have a beer nearby to console yerself, because it's a rather traumatic thing to behold).

Source: http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/ko...00/rec0044.html

Source: http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/ko...00/rec0045.html

One caveat: make a bit extra, because you'll inevitably lose a few strips when you BBQ 'em (and have a beer nearby to console yerself, because it's a rather traumatic thing to behold).

That looks delicious! I love hot and spicy marinated beef. I have a couple of pounds of skirt steak in the freezer that I may use for that. I'll have plenty of beer around, but I may also keep a coathanger handy in case I need to launch an extraction operation for fallen beef strips. If I've had enough beer ahead of time, the rescue op might be accompanied by simulated helicopter sounds and some humming of Ride of the Valkyries. . . :laugh:

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

That looks delicious! I love hot and spicy marinated beef. I have a couple of pounds of skirt steak in the freezer that I may use for that. I'll have plenty of beer around, but I may also keep a coathanger handy in case I need to launch an extraction operation for fallen beef strips. If I've had enough beer ahead of time, the rescue op might be accompanied by simulated helicopter sounds and some humming of Ride of the Valkyries. . . :laugh:

Wahahahaha!! I'm envisioning a bad scene of a drunk cook poking around in the coals with a coathanger, spilling his beer and cursing, because more strips of juicy, marinated flank steak keep falling in...

Thank you!

Well, my work has been feeding me all week, but tonight I actually got to make dinner before the tech guy from work came over to fix one of my laptops to take for a business trip. (sigh)

Anyway, there's nothing like a good homemade meal when you haven't had the opportunity to cook for yourself in a while.

I just made a salad of hunks of pecorino and favas drizzled with evoo and sprinkled with sea salt. I had some whole grain toast also.

Dessert was watermelon-ice cream shakes garnished with mint from the garden. A spur of the moment blender invention that was great.

I haven't got photos, but dinner was a chicken roasted the way I've been doing it since reading Steingarten -- breast side down on a rack[1], high temperature, short time -- with a wheatberry stuffing and a combination of lemon thyme, butter, and olive oil stuffed under the well-salted skin.

[1] I don't actually have a rack. I don't actually have a roasting pan. What I have is an enormous Lodge cast-iron pan -- big enough that I roast my Thanksgiving turkey in it, although we don't have a huge extended family to feed -- and five big forks that might or might not have migrated to my pocket from T.G.I. Friday's when I was younger and less respectable. Line the forks up, put the chicken or turkey on top, bam there you go.

Anyway, the highlight is actually dessert, since it's National Ice Cream Soda Day.

What I wanted was a nectar soda from Graeter's, but the nearest one is in Louisville, which isn't actually near at all. I have a bottle of New Orleans Nectar syrup from my last trip home, though, so I combined that with heavy cream, Benedictine, and Godiva's white chocolate liqueur to make "boozy nectar ice cream."

Over that, when it finishes freezing, we'll pour cold Cheerwine.

I made chipped beef on toast for dinner. I improvised on the chipped beef so it would be hard to share the exact measurements of the ingredients, but I'd be happy to share my toast recipe if anyone wants it.

Eliza Cross

"A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion."

we had left over anchovies from our salad last night so hubby made home made ceasar with homemade garlic croutons

gallery_16100_231_53088.jpg

And while exploring our freezer we found a small lamb loin roast so we slathered it with oregano from a friends garden, EVOO and garlic and put it on the grill. Served with Israeli couscous finished in EVOO, garlic and parsley........ everyone has figured out the theme of tonights dinner yes??

gallery_16100_231_58227.jpg

Supper tonight was grilled chicken thighs (my favorite piece) with lemon, EVOO, kosher salt and fresh thyme. As it was "clean out the fridge" night, I used the last of my grapefruit juice on some steamed rice, alongside strawberries drizzled with balsamic vinegar and a salad of cucumbers and tomatoes in pepper vinegar. Reading this now, it does not seem as though these items went together very well, but they were lovely in combination.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."- Virginia Woolfe

Inch thick, 21 day matured Aberdeen Angus steaks, drizzled with EVO and Maldon sea salt, pan fried and finished to rare in the oven for 2 minutes, with roast english asparagus and a wild mushroom and cheddar risotto. The asparagus had a balsamic vinagarette also.

For afters, a baked appled stuffed with sultanas, butter and brown sugar, with lashings of creme anglais. HEAVENLY and possibly the best meal I've ever cooked, everything was absolutley spot on.

Last night I tried Baked Catfish with Olive-Crumb Coating and served it with a green salad and Carrot "Souffle".

I'm trying to learn more about wines and pairing, so after some browsing around online for suggestions, I served a 2002 B&G Vouvray (France). I thought it was a very nice wine, especially with the meal. I think it was a bit sweet on its own for my husband's tastes, though.

No dessert, I was too tired by the time we got the toddler to bed. :) Anyway, we'll repeat the dinner tonight to finish up the carrot dish and the olive topping for the fish.

gallery_18558_1_564546.jpg

We had a strange dinner tonight that was completely un-photogenic but surprisingly delicious:

bagels and lox with.....

grilled portobello mushrooms!

Bagels were split, toasted, and stacked with lox, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, capers, onion slices for my husband, and topped with a humongous grilled mushroom as the other half of the sandwich! (No cheese as the goat cheese in the fridge had turned funny.)

My husband had to work late and wasn't sure when he'd be home... and I had a package of portobellos marked down by the supermarket, so... Hey, necessity is the mother of invention, and sometimes serendipity! :cool:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

PORK VINDALOO:

gallery_28832_1441_16052.jpg

From a recipe by eGullet member Waaza.

This is the best Vindaloo I've ever tasted in my life. And I've eaten a lot of Vindaloos in my days -- mostly in Indian restaurants in England. I've been on a long quest to try reproduce the taste of those things -- but this one surpassed it, easily. I'm not beating my drum or anything -- it's Waaza's recipe that did it...

For anyone who might be interested, I created a monstrous, and detailed write-up of the cooking process, with pictures galore, over on the India forum. You can find it here.

Dinner last night was fresh wild Sockeye Salmon that was picked up at the docks.

gallery_18348_1442_390147.jpg

My mom and I discovered a few years ago that the sticks and giant flowers from dill make a wonderful bed for salmon and they freeze really well.

gallery_18348_1442_409247.jpg

Sockeye Salmon with wild rice sauteed with celery, onions and garlic, and steamed spinach from the garden with sesame oil, sesame seeds and feta.

And of course, we can't for get the animals:

gallery_18348_1442_151492.jpg

This is what they are having for dinner tonight.

And my mom's cat after having his very first taste of Sockeye

gallery_18348_1442_467581.jpg

now that's a happy cat... :biggrin:

dinner tonight was requested by my stepdaughter: "that yummy pastathing you do in the oven with meatballs, you know".

aka pasta gratin with meatballs, tomato-leek sauce, and more tomatoes on top:

gallery_21505_358_35688.jpg

dessert was a strawberry/peach 'clafouti' (yes I know that when it does not have unpitted cherries in it, it's not supposed to be called clafouti :raz: )

When a trip to the market results in such bounties as Wild sockeye salmon and Prime Delmonico steak, the menu's faith is sealed.

gallery_21049_162_37989.jpg

Some of the salmon went towards Avacado and Spicy Salmon Sushi Rolls

gallery_21049_162_36720.jpg

gallery_21049_162_41851.jpg

Some went to the expert begger

gallery_21049_162_4331.jpg

While the rest of the salmon was smoked in a hickory smoke

gallery_21049_162_7314.jpg

The steak was seared and cooked in the same smoker...crusty outside with a tender pink inside

gallery_21049_162_21912.jpg

No pics because my camera doesnt hook up to this computer.. Today i made two smoked turkey breasts wrapped in bacon.. Made beer can chickens in the smoker, made clams roasted on the grill when opened i put cocktail sauce and butter and then re-roasted for five minutes. Made corn and smoked some ribs.. Also made butter burgers with mini hamburger buns.. And of course there were some margiritas..

farmer's market in the morning then a mish mosh for both lunch and dinner of leftovers and salads

1/2 sandwich of leftover blue ribbon meatloaf

1/2 sandwich of tofu "egg salad" - wow really very good

3 bean salad made with small white, black and purple green beans. dressing of garlic(the last two items from the farmer's market today), tarragon vinegar, canola oil, dijon mustard and a touch of sugar.

potato salad made with green and red peppers, celery salt, garlic oil, vidalia onion and miracle whip. :biggrin:

dessert is cooling as we speak - the first figs stuffed with blue cheese, draped in prosciutto and baked briefly in the oven. port.

edited to say that johnnybird liked the idea of blue cheese with prosciutto but didn't like it with the softness of the baked fig. i on the other hand have just licked my plate clean reveling in the saltiness of the cheese the crispy saltyness of the prosciutto and the sweet meltingness of the fig - and all the juices the three gave off. so ...... more for me BWWAAAHHHHHHAAAA

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites