• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Last night I made Tuscan chicken liver crostini and served them with onion marmalade and a mixed green salad tossed in a Dijon vinaigrette (the picture did not do the stuff justice, so I am not posting it).

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of chicken liver, but boy this recipe (Mario Batali's) was good! It probably also helped that I bought good quality livers from Whole Foods, inctead of the specimens that come in the chicken at the supermarket :wacko:. I am actually having some leftovers right now on top of homemade rye bread at my desk for lunch....

Dessert was, Viennese Dobos torte.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

we wipe out the egg cartons but that's about it. The cheese has enough oil in it not to stick. I think that using shot glasses or spice jars may be easier though, turning the parm upside vs sticking it in the cartons. We only do about 4 at a time so that the don't harden on us. Maybe we should start a new thread....the many uses for parm crisps! haha!

Lovely dinnerparty Wendy! Those scallops looked delicious!

So, what did your guests think of the picture-taking? :wink:

Had some friends (with baby) over for very informal dinnerparty last week.

gallery_21505_358_34732.jpg

On the plate: Eggplant involtini (slices of eggplant stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, basil and pinenuts, baked in a light tomato sauce)

Zucchini / potato/ parmesan frittata

salad of rucola, roast cauliflower and chickpeas.

gallery_21505_358_23686.jpg

dessert: cherry almond tart

Today a light dinner - salad of arborio rice, tomatoes, spring onions, basil and prawns. Batavian endive, sauteed with lots of garlic, served cold with lemon juice and good olive oil.

Lovely dinnerparty Wendy! Those scallops looked delicious!

So, what did your guests think of the picture-taking?  :wink:

2 out of the 3 couples are on eG so they thought it was semi normal. We snapped most picures in the kitchen before serving but when Dayne forgot and ran out and told one of the guests to not touch his scallops it was a bit funny!!! :raz:

Last night dinner, Larb! served with ginger-ini's and then Erath Gwertzameiner (no idea how to spell that!)

gallery_16100_231_69706.jpg

edited to add photo

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Last night I made Tuscan chicken liver crostini and served them with onion marmalade and a mixed green salad tossed in a Dijon vinaigrette (the picture did not do the stuff justice, so I am not posting it).[...]

I'm intrigued by the onion marmelade. How do you make that?

Michael aka "Pan"

Today's dinner was "teriyaki" style hamburgers. Ground beef, soy sauce (a bit too much), a bit of ginger, ground black pepper, and a large clove of garlic. Pan-fried and served on whole wheat mini pitas, with a bit of ketchip and pickle, and tater tots on the side. One of the Jacques Torres dark chocolate covered marshmellows (maybe two...) for dessert. :smile:

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Good run of really good dinners, up there.

Last evening, two well-seasoned chickens on the Weber rotisserie rig, one predestined to be future cold chicken, the other disjointed over thick grilled slices of an LBB Vienna loaf and served with the bread. Big salad mix salad with walnut oil vinaigrette, toasted walnuts, fresh goat cheese.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Last night I made Tuscan chicken liver crostini and served them with onion marmalade and a mixed green salad tossed in a Dijon vinaigrette (the picture did not do the stuff justice, so I am not posting it).[...]

I'm intrigued by the onion marmelade. How do you make that?

I more or less use this recipe. I do however, reduce the amount of sugar to about 1.5 cups and the vinegar to about 2 cups. Only the first time I mad eit I followed the recipe exactly and then I started modifying it. Also I leave the peppercorns whole and add extra, I just love the crunch and mild heat they empart once you bite into them.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Tonight was yet another recipe from Cooking Light, which is my source of choice these days... I'm not quite brave enough to do much creation on my own...

Anyway, the items are pictured separately because I forgot to take a picture before we started eating, so this is the leftovers (tomorrow's dinner). It was really delicious and the pork came out perfectly, which is always a nice thing...

Apple Adobo Pork and Couscous

gallery_18558_1_401565.jpg

Tonight was leftovers so let me start with the previous night.

Filet mignon done on the grill to a perfect medium rare. I'd rubbed it with a dry rub, some olive oil, and put it in a ziploc bag to hang out for a while with some rosemary clippings prior to the grilling.

A veritable rainbow of bell peppers (green, red, yellow, and orange) tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh oregano and thyme, roasted until charred and delicious.

grilled scallions brushed with olive oil, tossed with salt and pepper

mixed green salad with herb vinaigrette

lime popsicles

limoncello/pomegranate cocktails

That went over pretty well :)

Then tonight, well - sliced filet mignon, sliced fresh bell pepper (we ate all the roasted ones!), and some leftover tomatillo sauce I made last week, wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla.

We STILL have meat left over! (My husband is in the meat business; a supplier accidentally delivered them a case of filet mignon and told them to keep it. Okaaaaay!)

-hillary

When we were younger, my mom used to cook thin sliced ribeye steak for us that she bought from the Korean market. It cooks up really fast since it's so thin, so my mom used to cook it up fast in a pan, and then serve it to us with a little dipping bowl of sesame oil and salt and pepper. But what kills me is that it took me years to figure this out - that you can use the same thin sliced ribeye for cheesesteaks! Duh!

IMG_1129.jpg

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

last night we stopped at our local fish monger and got some fresh Copper River King Salmon. Pan seared it with some rub and dabbed a bit of dill butter on it. Carmelized some onions and used up the asparagus tips and peas from the party on Sat (the asparagus terrine uses only the stalks). Sprinkled those with a bit of parm. Wild rice on the side.

gallery_16100_231_288496.jpg

Tonight was leftovers so let me start with the previous night.

Filet mignon done on the grill to a perfect medium rare. I'd rubbed it with a dry rub, some olive oil, and put it in a ziploc bag to hang out for a while with some rosemary clippings prior to the grilling.

A veritable rainbow of bell peppers (green, red, yellow, and orange) tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh oregano and thyme, roasted until charred and delicious.

grilled scallions brushed with olive oil, tossed with salt and pepper

mixed green salad with herb vinaigrette

lime popsicles

limoncello/pomegranate cocktails

That went over pretty well :)

Then tonight, well - sliced filet mignon, sliced fresh bell pepper (we ate all the roasted ones!), and some leftover tomatillo sauce I made last week, wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla.

We STILL have meat left over! (My husband is in the meat business; a supplier accidentally delivered them a case of filet mignon and told them to keep it. Okaaaaay!)

-hillary

Hillary,

Tell me about the limoncello/pomegranate cocktails. Those sound right up my alley!

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."- Virginia Woolfe

Wendy, I like what you did with the salmon. I cooked some Copper River Salmon a week or so ago using a recipe from Delia Smith. It was wrapped in phyllo dough.

We had lunch out yesterday and went to a ballgame last night. Didn't want to have to eat bad steamed hotdogs at the ball park so I made a big pot of Minestrone soup which we had after we got back from the game.

26445198-M.jpg

cornish game hens wrapped in banana leaves with cilantro/ginger/mint and roasted peppers stuffed with curried potatoes. these were so so good and will become one of our new standards. (mommy !!! banana chicken !!! banana chicken !!!)

notice the bandaid on my wife's finger courtesy of my new edge-pro knife sharpener. she didn't merely cut her finger; she "shaved it". (she was using the claw).

gallery_23026_1242_33334.jpg

Let's catch up... Sunday I had some really good stuffed pork chops, mostly from the recipe in Cook's Illustrated last month. I did the stuffing with red onions, dried plums (har har), port, orange juice, and vinegar. Roasted potatoes, too. Somehow we also managed to drink the entire rest of the bottle of port.... :blink:

Yesterday I made fried chicken and potato salad. The fried chicken turned out OK, considering I've never fried anything on my stupid new electric stove before and I didn't have a meat OR oil thermometer. Unfortunately this was for a picnic and we didn't adequately wrap the chicken so it got water all over it from the ice and was therefore soggy. :sad:

Today was chicken and waffles! No gravy, though.

22201679_e318efc57c_m.jpg

Jennie

Got home later than usual, tired and hungry. Was planning on making brats and potato pancakes (frozen but very good) - blew that off. Grabbed a Sierra Nevada, eggs, really good "French" ham from Trader Joe's, fresh banana peppers, fresh basil, red onion, mozzarella & parmesan. Gobbled up some ham while sauteeing the peppers & onions in EVOO and butter. Threw in the ham. Got it all good and carmelized. Dave's Insanity cayenne sauce into the eggs, threw the cheese in there and then the chopped up basil. Let it cook while having another Sierra. Threw the pan under the broiler until nice and browned. Cut into wedges and stuffed into TJ's homestyle tortillas (nuked). An under-30 minute meal...Rachael Ray would be proud of me.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Late late late here, too -- but after-meeting known-in-advance lateness.

Nice homemade pizza, pesto and fresh mozz, cooked on the old pizza stone. Nice salad mix salad with balsamic & very good olive oil.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

johnnybird requested vegetarian for dinner last night so...

shells stuffed with sauteed mushrooms,garlic and spinach bound with some lactose free cottage cheese and a bit of asiago and parmesan.

local romaine and redleaf lettuce salad

cheese bread

i had a glass of Carlo Rossi Paisano and john had a Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale

leftovers for dinner tonight :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Italian feast:

roasted yellow and red pepper salad with sundried tomatoes and anchovies

green olives stuffed with anchovies

Eggplant risotto with basil, pinenuts and parmesan

Breaded veal patties with capers (Marcella Hazan recipe)

Sauteed fennel and radicchio (also Marcella)

Buttered penne pasta with lemon thyme and lemon juice (this was whipped up the last minute because I had burned the potato gratin :shock: )

Torta caprese di mandorle (almond & chocolate torte, from Antionio Carluccio's Southern Italian Cooking)

Edited by Chufi (log)

Salad of grilled zucchini, roasted lamb, red onion, red bell pepper, basil, lemon juice and EVOO

Boylan's diet root beet

Ahhhh, summahtime.

Skirt steak 2 ways:

- with Argentinean salt (on your right)

- with Adobo Mojo sauce (on your left)

Served with sauteed new red bliss potatoes 2 ways:

- with garlic, rosemary and thyme salt (on your left)

- with adobo sauce (on your right)

and some Chimichurri

gallery_21049_162_83256.jpg

A few days ago I had a liquid dinner - Lychee Martini

gallery_21049_162_3649.jpg

Tonight I had the most delicious simple thing. An entire head of Romaine lettuce, torn into tiny bits, with a chopped onion, a chopped home grown (NJ!!!) tomato and a handful of fresh parsley, chopped into smithereens; dressed with a heavy dose of cumin and paprika, a dash of kosher salt, and a good lashing of both olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It was heaven! And, no you can't see a pic, it's in my tummy! I'm home alone for another week, and I'm eating dinner BEFORE my dates so I don't have to share. Well, I share my popcorn, or my dessert, I'm nice!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Last night was a quick dinner night - shrimp stir-fry. I tried to take pictures but they came out blurry.

Tonight, though, we're going to a nearby restaurant for a wine-tasting dinner. They offer them every few months. We've only been to one before and that was featuring the Cline wines, which suddenly seem to be everywhere (or perhaps I just never noticed before). This time the stemware is featured, not the wine itself - we get to try the Riedel glasses and will get to take our sample glasses home with us. I'm not sure what the dinner will entail - the info I got via email says a buffet style dinner afterwards, which is completely different than the last one. It's a French restaurant so we'll see...