• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Stir fried spicy beef with cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper, mushrooms and purple basil (recipe from China Moon book). Served with rice. I am also very proud to say that the tomatoes, pepper, chilies and basil are from my own backyard. The dish sounds like and odd combination for a Chinese stirfry but it was amazing and the flavors work great. The sauce had stock, mushroom soy sauce, Sherry, and balsamic vinegar.

Dessert: Homemade poached-then-grilled peach ice cream.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Sauteed pork chops with a garlic cream sauce - used a bit of cream cheese & milk to keep it low carb. Also a bit of thyme in the sauce. Served over raw baby spinach. Well, wilted when the chop got done with it. :smile:

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

There were some lovely radishes at the markets and I've never cooked with them before so I bought them on the spur of a moment. Back home, I had no idea what to do with them so I kind of just riffed around with what I had in the fridge/pantry and tried to figure out what went well.

Anyway, I ended up with a Radish, Cucumber & Apple Salad which was mindbogglingly good. It seems like just one of those classic salads where each of the components just works. The slight heat of the radish played off the light bitterness of cukes and the sweet/sour of the apples and the crunchiness of the entire thing made it feel crisp and clean. It's definately a keeper!

Unfortunately, I couldn't take a pic as my digital camera was stolen a while back but it was very pretty as well, red from the radish, green from the cukes and white from the apples.

PS: I am a guy.

Tonight:

Roasted Garlic-Rosemary new potatoes from the farmer's market.

Fresh corn on the cob with Pico Limon sprinkled on it. (I love this stuff I found at the Mexican market. Salty, citrusy and spicy all at once. Delicious on corn, avocado or melons)

A few pieces of rotisserie chicken from the Farmer's market as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Bacon wrapped cabrales stuffed figs.. Asparagus with truffle butter, poached eggs(i just like the yella parts), and some bacon...A gorgeous new york strip covered with a ridiculous amount of black pepper. The wine she was a red one..

Figs

gallery_15057_181_843604.jpg

Shtake

gallery_15057_181_90770.jpg

Dinner

gallery_15057_181_150854.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

I apologize in advance for the lousy photo. Tonight's dinner was a festival of good leftovers:

gallery_7409_476_16061.jpg

Roast Turkey Loin with Harissa Sauce

Ratatouille

Baked Tomato Provençal

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Friday night, we had flank steak beef satay with peanut sauce.

gallery_23736_355_3796.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Took advantage of a lobster sale to make: Lobster rolls and Lobster-truffle club sandwich .

Chopped up 2 1.5 pounders (they didnt have larger ones :sad: ). One down...one to go.

gallery_21049_162_58305.jpg

Sauteed the lobster in some truffle butter and truffle oil. Assembled into sandwich on toasted bread spread with truffle butter and aioli, added lettce and tomatoes.

gallery_21049_162_63274.jpg

Voila !!

gallery_21049_162_30692.jpg

And the lobster roll (on a hot dog bun) with fresh tyme.

gallery_21049_162_44162.jpg

The shells made an amazing lobster stock which is in my freezer :biggrin:

I was actually making the lobsters while smoking some beef ribs (multi-tasking).

gallery_21049_162_57105.jpg

gallery_21049_162_67861.jpg

gallery_21049_162_49565.jpg

gallery_21049_162_17998.jpg

I guess it did not smoke enough to get a deep smoke ring, but they tasted great !!

Reworked leftovers......but so good !

Polenta with asparagus and mushrooms, fried crispy in butter/EVOO............

then some left over rib eye, quickly warmed in the pan, add a little red wine vinegar

poured over shredded romaine........YUM !

(I need to get a camera........ :wacko: )

I'm of Scandinavian descent, so I like to celebrate around Midsummer with a big meal and some friends.

I get Hairy melon at a local farmers' market. It's an interesting Asian vegetable similar to winter melon with a slightly nutty flavor. Cooked it is close to Eggplant in texture.

Amarina cocktails from the Babbo Cookbook (sugar, bitters, limoncello, and prosecco)

Cheeses, Olives and Bread

Cured salmon with creme fraiche, and dill

Pureed Asian Melon Soup

Fava Bean pasta from recent NY Times magazine

Grilled Lamb Provencal (indirect long slow grill with hickory smoking chips)

Ratatouille of Hairy Melon and Zucchini

Lavender Sorbet and Homemade Limoncello

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

There are some oh-so inspiring photos in this thread, our dinner was quite simple last night, but quite good.

started with the Bill's famous bruschetta, even though we are still on hot house tomatoes, I find the campari ones have flavor.

grilled halibut marinated in lemon zest/ginger/EVOO/fresh mint and topped with a fresh mango salsa (mango, shallot, orange pepper and lime juice)

grilled shrimp with eastern spices, cumin, paprika etc.

baby warba potatoes with parsley butter

asparagus with fig vincotto and a little walnut oil, shavings of parmesan.

sorry no photos - too much wine!

Father's Day '05

Wild Mushroom Napoleon with Mushroom Broth, Spring Lettuce, and Herbed Parmesan Phyllo Crisps (adopted from The Inn at Little Washington)

gallery_28496_1395_60271.jpg

This was ridiculously good. I used porcinis, chanterelles, shitakes and these really cool tiny wild mushrooms that I'd never seen before. The phyllo crisps were very tasty, as well.

USDA Prime Grilled Strip Steaks with a Roasted Beet Syrup and Fennel Watercress Reduction

gallery_28496_1395_100497.jpg

The sweetness of the beet syrup worked very well with the rich, butteryness of the meat. I strained both these sauces many times to reduce the amount of large particles and to improve on the mouth feel.

Fresh Blueberry Crisp that I forgot to take a picture of.

Very nice Bryan...

How long did you bake the phyllo and were there in a single large sheet or pre-cut before going into the oven?

Phyllo was baked for about 9 minutes at about 400. I built each crisp individually after precutting the necessary layers. I used melted butter to bind the layers, and I'm sure the thin layer of cheese helped to keep the crisps together. It was pretty simple, in general.

Tonight, we made a big pot of Cincinnati-style chili, and served with sharp cheddar and spaghetti (i.e. three-way chili).

gallery_23736_355_15327.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Great idea, and that looks good. Is Cincinnati-style chili without beans?

Bryan, you can cook me a Fathers Day dinner any time.

Tonight it was burgers and fries. Though we would probably have had this anyway, we considered it to be part of the eG Cookoff. Nobody but me wanted to try Marlene's Peanut Butter Burgers, so I halved the recipe and made two for myself. We made the good Belgian-style fries again.

gallery_13038_837_44035.jpg

Morten's girlfriend Camilla flew in last night from Denmark, first time in this country. So last night we had roadside-style BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, and coleslaw as an American food thing. But we also had roasted smashed potatoes Chufi style and bruschetta with it. What can I say, we're just an international sort of family, LOL.

gallery_13038_837_102027.jpg

Friday night after wings with Yuengling at happy hour, we had take-out pizza and some other samplings from a new-to-us Italian pizzaria and deli.

Thursday night... I'm forgetting what was when, but we had chilled corn and buttermilk soup and salad made with left-over steak one night.

gallery_13038_837_48964.jpg

gallery_13038_837_92459.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Several sausages: chicken-feta-spinach, sundried tomato, bratwurst, hot Italian

Green beans

Gallo of Sonoma merlot (cleanin' out the wine rack...)

Rainer cherries picked off the tree this morning

Is Cincinnati-style chili without beans?

Yes, there are no beans in the chili itself, but they are often added on top. A four-way chili is the three-way with onions, and the five-way is the four-way with beans.

gallery_394_349_194571.jpg

The essence of summer, yellow grape tomatoes with micro basil greens from the Farmers Market drizzled with some olive oil I bought in Nice.

gallery_394_349_123420.jpg

Prime bone-in rib eye and Broccoli with cheddar sauce.

Edited by NewYorkTexan (log)