• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Way too hot so sort of meze tonight - feasting on baby vegetables :biggrin: :

baby white eggplants microwaved, hollowed and stuffed with a mix of their pulp, tarama, dill and scallions;

suluguni cheese marinated in cilantro/mint/jalapeno/evoo/verjus;

baby peppers pan roasted with garlic, oil cured olives and fig vinegar;

baby roma stuffed with tarama and dill;

baltic rye bread toasts rubbed with garlic;

assorted beers: Victory's Golden Monkey and Rogue's Red Ale:

mezze0614052zy.jpg

for dessert lemon thyme macerated raspberries encore.

I've posted about this sandwich before, but this time I have pictures. Bacon, lettuce, red, yellow and orange on the vine tomatoes (I should have waited a few more weeks, oh well), Monterey jack cheese, fried egg and mayo on challa. It might not look very good, but it is pretty tasty.

eggsand14vj.jpg

eggsand29tb.jpg

Bill Russell

Grilled boneless pork chops, marinated in soy, garlic, brown sugar. Lifted from grill directly into soft wheat rolls; the jus was the dressing.

Grill-roasted-in-shucks corn on the cob. Salad of tomatoes, olives, tri-color peppers, vidalias, orzo.

Fruit compote: Cold vanilla-poached Fuji apple quarters, Mandarin sections, watermelon. A first, and a wonderful melange, from the soft apple to the crisp snap of the watermelon.

Last night we had meatloaf, as part of the currently active eG Cook-Off.

Sunday night, we cooked steaks like Sam did in his and Marlene's tag team blog.  With that, we had Belgian Fries with Sauce Andalouse, mushrooms, creamed spinach, and Cabernet.  Wonderful, one of the best steaks and perhaps the best fries we've ever made.

gallery_13038_837_42557.jpg

gallery_13038_837_127866.jpg

Thanks, Sam!

gallery_13038_837_178371.jpg

Some other catching up:

A mixed grill of lamb, quail, and sausage, and not pictured, a side of pasta to go with it.

gallery_13038_837_63688.jpg

Friday night happy hour was at home, in front of the TV, table-cooking on the stone.  With the chicken, shrimp, and beef was Bagna Cauda with spring vegetables.

gallery_13038_837_70702.jpg

gallery_13038_837_181487.jpg

Looks lovely. And I covet that stone!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Some roasted cauliflower, from this clearly obsessively deranged, 14-page thread on the topic... And some pancetta embossed chicken from this excellent eGullet recipe -- only I accidentally ended up with prosciutto instead of pancetta, but it still seemed to work out, even if the prosciutto looks pretty caramelized. Oh, and I used boneless thighs.

gallery_28832_1138_10416.jpg

This plate really needs some color, though... My pictures aren't exactly National Geographic standard on the best of days, but this plate looks particularly decrepit. Good grief -- is dinner ready, or did a freaking yeti just take a dump on my plate? Jezzz.

Helenas and Susan,

Lets move to Utah so i can marry you both..  :biggrin:

Utah, LOL. I get it.

But from looking at your profile, I think you're too young. What do you think, Helena? :wink:

Marlene, that tabletop cooking stone is a lot of fun. We received it as a gift from a good friend many years ago. I haven't seen them in stores or even for ordering online in a long time. I looked, because I wanted to give some as gifts.

Last night: Sauteed chicken thighs, corn, salad, and the mashed potatoes I was hungry for the night before when we were out of potatoes.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

helenas what is tarama??

Carp roe cured in salt.

edit:

Usually mixed with mayonaisse as "taramasalata".

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Marlene, that tabletop cooking stone is a lot of fun. We received it as a gift from a good friend many years ago. I haven't seen them in stores or even for ordering online in a long time. I looked, because I wanted to give some as gifts.

Try this hot stones link.

Thank you so much! :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

wicked hot day so it was a cold food night:

found some nice looking lobster claws so - lobster roll

pickled shrimp

salad of asparagus tips, grape tomatoes, black olives, vidalia onion with raspberry walnut vinaigrette

Rogue American Ale

dessert was homemade baked tortilla chips smeared with blue cheese and Rogue Chipotle Ale.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Pizza for two. Dough made with about 1/3 whole wheat flour. Topped with sliced grilled summer squash leftover from the other night and a shower of very thinly sliced sweet onion, seasoned, generously drizzled with ex. virg. olive oil, mozz. Nicely crunchified on the blazing-hot pizza stone. Big redleaf salad with more ex. virg. olive oil and Balsamic vinegar.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Strip steak with smoked paprika rub and chimichurri and Trader Joe's garlic fires (first time for these and they are really good, highly recommended).

chimi9lz.jpg

Bill Russell

A few pictures I found while cleaning out my memory card:

Skinless chicken thighs stewed in chicken broth & apple cider, with carrots and onions. I think there's thyme in there, too:

gallery_6962_1029_38444.jpg

I think the fish is bocurti/white ruffy - I suspect the packaging is lying to me and it's something else completely, but it's a nice firm white fish with a slightly sweet flavor. I've been using it quite a bit lately; I get it at TJs. Anyway, I think it was baked with some white wine, basil, and the (obvious) plum tomatoes. Garlic mashed potatoes on the side.

gallery_6962_1029_232843.jpg

Pork stirfry with green beans, carrots and red pepper, over brown rice.

gallery_6962_1029_302697.jpg

We've been going out a lot lately, or eating leftovers or frozen stuff. The last thing I cooked was some Thai-influenced spice-crusted tuna steaks that I served over baby spinach. The spice mix had (too much) salt, cumin, lemon zest, black pepper, ginger, and bit of cinnamon. Squirted some lime juice over it all after. Forgot to grab a picture. I need to start cooking again.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Was gonna make trout allemande, but substituted grouper for it, which was okay, but not great -- the grouper was thicker and had a much firmer texture... And salad and taters.

gallery_28832_1138_46925.jpg

Made the salad a bit ahead of time, and drizzled some lime juice over it -- bad mistake. It got the whole thing completely soggy and dishevelled. I learn something every time I try cooking something...

Made the salad a bit ahead of time, and drizzled some lime juice over it -- bad mistake. It got the whole thing completely soggy and dishevelled. I learn something every time I try cooking something...

Grub, if you want to make your salad in advance I find that by making/putting the dressing all in the bottom of the bowl and then putting the salad on top without tossing keeps everything nice and crisp. Then you just toss at the last minute.

Grub, if you want to make your salad in advance I find that by making/putting the dressing all in the bottom of the bowl and then putting the salad on top without tossing keeps everything nice and crisp. Then you just toss at the last minute.

That's a great tip, thank you!

Very busy the last couple of days so some improvised, cleaning-out-the fridge cooking going on.

Yesterday:

stirfry of smoked bacon, onion, paksoi. Flavored with soy-sauce, sambal and mirin. At the last moment I crumbled in the peanutbutterburger left over from the cook-off. :blink:

Tossed this with soba noodles and it was delicious! The smoky saltiness of the bacon and soysauce, the crisp bitterness of the paksoi, the sweet juicyness of the burger. Almost something to make again (although next time, it will probably not turn out as good)

Today:

quiche of leeks, dried shii-takes and roquefort.

tomatosalad with tarragon-mustard dressing.

a lot of Ben & Jerrys NewYork super fudgy chunky or whatever that's called for dessert