• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Tonight we had company come over made tom yum soup,fish cakes, beef satay, a wine-garlic-fish/soy sauce squid, mussels with shallots and lemon grass, a green curry duck and coconut rice.

Fish cakes raw

gallery_15057_1310_827918.jpg

Raw Satay

gallery_15057_1310_4885.jpg

gallery_15057_1310_461482.jpg

tom yum

gallery_15057_1310_301568.jpg

squid

gallery_15057_1310_114398.jpg

gallery_15057_1310_21701.jpg

duck

gallery_15057_1310_692817.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

The other night was a meal of spring:

We began with some Cava I brought back from Barcelona.

Then steamed local asparagus, plank roasted salmon, challah bread on the side with fresh butter.

Followed by coconut cake (by request), I'm still tinkering with the recipe for this one.

Carne asada from rick bayless cook book a la my living room table grill.. Made quesadillas with some mexican monteray jackish cheese, shallots and my doormans sister's tomatillo and jalepeno salsa he gave me.. I also used one of the only ripe avacados in manhattan, took me like 5 stores to track it down. Whats the story with the avocados these days?

gallery_15057_1310_1057166.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Finally made fresh pasta - first time ever! (Even rolled it out by hand.... no machine to clutter up my kitchen) :laugh:

Here's the rolled out dough:

gallery_12424_1321_15715.jpg

....and then the finished dish, after cutting into linguine, boiling for 5 minutes, and being sauced with arrabiata:

gallery_12424_1321_16956.jpg

The result was very tasty, but a little chewy. I'm sure my technique has a long way to go. You can read a more detailed description of the process on my blog (link below....)

:biggrin:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Finally made fresh pasta - first time ever!  (Even rolled it out by hand.... no machine to clutter up my kitchen)   :laugh:

Here's the rolled out dough:

gallery_12424_1321_15715.jpg

....and then the finished dish, after cutting into linguine, boiling for 5 minutes, and being sauced with arrabiata:

gallery_12424_1321_16956.jpg

The result was very tasty, but a little chewy.  I'm sure my technique has a long way to go.  You can read a more detailed description of the process on my blog (link below....)

:biggrin:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

Thats great, making pasta is a wonderful thing to do.. At some point the recipe and technique will be second nature and you will be making your own all the time.. Get the consistancy down and then try a ravioli.. Maybe throw a little more olive oil in there..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Tonight we had company come over made tom yum soup,fish cakes, beef satay, a wine-garlic-fish/soy sauce squid, mussels with shallots and lemon grass, a green curry duck and coconut rice. 

Fish cakes raw

gallery_15057_1310_827918.jpg

Raw Satay

gallery_15057_1310_4885.jpg

gallery_15057_1310_461482.jpg

tom yum

gallery_15057_1310_301568.jpg

squid

gallery_15057_1310_114398.jpg

gallery_15057_1310_21701.jpg

duck

gallery_15057_1310_692817.jpg

Looks so delicious ! Could you share the recepie for Tom Yum, please, Thank you very much

went out checking on some bluebird boxes for a friend. came back and it was yucky, drizzly, cool. i had 3 red peppers leftover from another project so split them in half, cored and seeded them. roasted them in the oven(just the way russ and susan in fl do - thank you :biggrin: ) and used them to create a roasted red pepper soup - details can be found on the soup thread.

while i was cooking johnnybird was STARVING so had some triscuits with new york state champagne cheddar cheese and some organic blue cheese from denmark. also a glass of 2002 Nieder-Florsheimer Frauenberg Rheinhessen Riesling Kabinett.

dinner was the roasted red pepper soup, chicken and apple sausages served with sauteed white beans, spinach and garlic. more glasses of the Nieder-Florsheimer with dinner.

enough leftover for a sausage and some beans and spinach for lunches next week. the last of the spinach/bean mix went into the leftover soup and was frozen for future yucky days....

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I finally have some more images of dinners that I can post.

First is a dessert that I had one night about a month ago. Dinner didn't look so good but this one sure does:

gallery_18348_340_582957.jpg

Waffles from Patiserie Lebeau with fresh strawberries. This was to compliment an omlette with mushrooms and shallots.

Friday nights are my all-out-cooking or extravagant meal night. My last big venture before I had surgery on my hand was:

gallery_18348_340_570514.jpg

Local spot prawns steaming in red wine and garlic

gallery_18348_340_178299.jpg

A lovely small lobster from Granville Island

gallery_18348_340_627807.jpg

and a slice of terrine from Oyama, also on Granville Island, Campari tomatoes, and a fresh baquette. It was heavenly.

Tonight's friday night venture, Hanger steak with a red wine sauce and roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoe. Should be good.

What time is dinner peppyre?  :smile:

Ummm...I just finished and Pepper (my cat) helped me with the steak. Who knew that she would like a really rich red wine and shallot sauce :laugh: It was quite cute watching her lick the sauce off her piece of steak and then inhaling the steak.

Sultani Murghi -- chicken with spinach and cheese (Betty Crocker's Indian Home Cooking, p 106.)

gallery_28832_1138_37453.jpg

This was a bit of an experiment -- the dish is really supposed to be whole chicken breasts stuffed with spinach and cheese (well, pounded flat and rolled up around the mixture), but when I ate it as leftovers I cut the thing up before heating it and well, it struck me that since flattening, rolling, and pinning raw chicken meat with toothpicks is a such a hassle, I figured I'd try to make it as a more traditional, chopped-up Indian format. Besides, it's Friday damnit, I want the route of least possible stress...

In the original format, this dish makes an excellent statement about Indian cuisine: Chicken Cordon Bleu and Kiev are great stuffed chicken breast dishes, but they've got nothing on this bad boy. I've made it twice before -- last time, I kinda screwed up and didn't defrost the chicken breasts long enough, so they got torn up a little, when I pounded them flat. I guess that's what made me want to try doing the dish a little differently.

I normally fix up some papadums and mango chutney hors d'ouvres when I cook Indian, but it was actually more stressful doing the dish this way, than the original method, so I didn't get around to it... I managed to get a beer out of the fridge, but didn't get around to opening the damn thing. Thankfully, my roommate noticed my traumatic condition, and fixed me a mojito, which allowed me to mellow out enough to sort the papadums out...

gallery_28832_1138_25691.jpg

My experiments with truffles (aka The Truffle Files)

I came across some good looking truffles today, so I decided to buy a couple and try them in various ways.

The subject of the experiment

gallery_21049_162_30606.jpggallery_21049_162_36364.jpg

Experiment #1: Roasted chicken stuffed with truffles accompanied with morels and jus

gallery_21049_162_107443.jpggallery_21049_162_58238.jpg

gallery_21049_162_97067.jpg

Experiment #2: Tuffle pizza with Mitake and Morel sauce

gallery_21049_162_64813.jpg

Experiment #3 will come tomorrow morning (hint).

Dessert was super premium vanilla ice cream with lychees

gallery_21049_162_1099.jpg

...roasted them in the oven(just the way russ and susan in fl do - thank you :biggrin: ) and used them to create a roasted red pepper soup - details can be found on the soup thread.

You're welcome! :smile: Dinner sounded good.

I too have now been truffle-inspired. I saw some reasonably priced summer truffles; maybe I'll order one or two. (I'll be tuned in to the breakfast thread today. :biggrin: )

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Asparagus Risotto:

gallery_895_976_31778.jpg

Lasagne of Langoustine with Cep sauce. I wanted to involve a sherry jelly in this dish and attempted to cover the chopped up meat from the claws in a thin jelly but it didn't really come off:

gallery_895_976_27950.jpg

gallery_895_976_19558.jpg

Finished with a lamb Loin fillet wrapped in leak. I took the efillet off a rack of lamb, I used the skin and fat from the rack and wrapped it around the chain from the fillet (I think that is the correct term) and roasted on a high heat to get it nice and crisp to counteract the lack of browning on the loin fillet, used the bones and the rest of the trimmings to make a jus with a touch of Madeira. I suppose this was a deconstructed rack of lamb, go stick that up your arse Adria . Served with fondant potato and some fresh peas. Cooked to perfection even if I do say so myself

gallery_895_976_7377.jpg

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Years ago, there was a Peanuts strip in which Charlie, Lucy and another character were lying on their backs on a hillside, looking up at the clouds. Charlie just lay there, whilst the other two conversed about the shapes, and the images that came to mind.

Lucy averred that she could clearly make out Holbein's PORTRAIT OF ERASMUS,

and her companion stated that he was enjoying Van Gogh's CAFE TERRACE ON THE PLACE DE FORUM.

They asked Charlie if he saw anything special in the clouds, and he replied, "I was going to say I saw a doggie and a horsie, but never mind."

So are my feelings when I read these listings of great and monumental dinners and methods and combinations. Still I come here, and still I put in my meager listings:

Last night was applewood-grilled buffalo burgers on Wheatberry Buns, with sharp mustard and crisp sweet onion slices. Sides of bean salad with roasted peppers and sesame vinaigrette, potato crisps.

Tisn't much, but twill serve. After all, the song doesn't say, "Where the buffalo foam........." :wink:

turnip parmesan souffle

salad of butter lettuce, avocado, tomato, some blue cheese lying around in the fridge, and a dressing of red pepper, shallots and garlic sauteed in olive oil, and boiled down with lots of balsamic vinegar.

leftover cardamom ricepudding for dessert.