• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Porterhouse for 2, roasted cauli (first time-great), simple green salad, St. Francis Nuns Valley Reserve Cab. Peter luger steak sauce for my wife. Still drinking the wine :rolleyes:

Those short ribs sound the shit.

I made a crispy roasted chicken breast (using my new copper pan) over pureed potatoes with blanched farmer's market baby vegetables. The sauce was a reduction of stock and white wine with butter and tarragon.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

gallery_28832_1138_7061.jpg

Grilled halibut with a lemon-mustard glaze, carrots and snow peas grilled in a tinfoil pouch with roasted sesame seeds and soy sauce.

The halibut started falling apart before I could get proper grill marks on it -- I guess I didn't use enough coals to get enough heat...

Oh, and bearnaise sauce -- I didn't really need it for this dish (the glaze was available at the table), but I wanted to see if I could combine the CIA and Estoffier methods, and come up with the ultimate bearnaise (yeah I'm obsessive :smile:).

Oh, and some homemade bread too.

We had "Chufi's Classic Asparagus Feast" last night. 

:smile::smile::smile:

So how do you like white asparagus Susan? I'm curious, because from the discussions on EGullet I get the impression that Americans generally prefer the green ones.

Our dinner:

meatballs with chickpeas and spinach (Claudia Roden recipe)

couscous salad with mint, coriander, raisins, toasted pepita's, chopped tomatoes.

I think I'll have some greek yoghurt with chestnut honey for dessert.. again.

I really like it, but mostly for the novelty when it's available. If it were always available along with green asparagus, I would choose green for flavor. I also like to serve both together sometimes, and notice the taste and texture difference (not to mention it's a cool looking presentation :smile: ).

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

split pea soup with spiced butter and crusty bread and a roast chicken salad tonight.

maybe a stewed peach and rhubarb pudding if I get the time.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

A little late on this one but Monday was thin sliced ribeye steak, chorizo sausage, guacamole, salsa, and tortilla chips all topped with over easy eggs......

alas no beans

now serving this the night after roasted cauliflower maybe wasnt a good idea :wink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We had planned on King Crab legs tonight but then i saw someone else's picture of the legs with oysters so we added kumamoto's to the menu too. Then I decided that I haven't really seared scallops before and I wanted to play. Then I remembered that I had some great pate from D'Artagnan in the fridge. Dinner tonight......

gallery_16100_231_276235.jpg

Wow.. Thats lovely..

Edited by Daniel (log)

gallery_28832_1138_9666.jpg

Sea bass brushed with a mixture of olive oil, salt, crushed white pepper and freshly chopped dill, grilled over coals, on orange slices -- with mashed potatoes & chives, and a side salad of Caesar mix, red onions, tomatoes and pears, tossed in a Caesar salad dressing.

Also, for starters, cantaloup slices wrapped in prosciutto, but forgot to take a picture of em...

Last night I fixed the Turkey Thighs in Red Wine Garlic Sauce & Oatmeal "Polenta Style" from Wine Spectator and succotash made with fresh corn & edamame. We drank oatmeal stout!

Here's the link to the turkey thighs and oatmeal, in case anybody is interested. It's good and very interesting... worth making maybe once a year, perhaps. :smile:

Last night my wife made Salmon poached in a simple court bouillon with Fennel as the major component.

Served over asian cucumber salad with a lemon grass nage.

Good light meal that takes some of the guilt out of the memorial day burger fest on the horizon.

Happy Memorial Day!

Shaun

"You can take my foie gras when you can pry it from my cold dead hands"

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net

At the farmers market this weekend some early season tomatoes called to me after tasting a bite of the samples they had sitting out. Then a few stands later I picked up some bacon from aother farm. You can see where this is leading.

But a few days ago jenrus watched the movie Spanglish - not my idea of a great movie, but that's beside the point. In the movie, Adam Sandler plays a top-level chef and was actualy trained before filming by Thomas Keller. One of the extras on the DVD is Keller making his ideal sandwich. Basically a BLT on good toasted bread with a yolky fried egg and melted Monterey Jack cheese. With that inspiration I gave it a shot.

No pictures, because it didn't look very pretty on the plate. But it was mighty tasty. The tomatoes were very nice for this time of year (can't wait for the summer to unfold) and the yolk from the egg gave the sandwich the extra bit of richness you probably didn't know that a BLT needed.

Bill Russell

Salt marsh lamb - a rare variety from Wales, similar to the pré-salé of France - with jus, olives, sautéed asparagus.

gallery_8259_153_10438.jpg

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Salt marsh lamb - a rare variety from Wales, similar to the pré-salé of France - with jus, olives, sautéed asparagus.

Does the meat actually end up being more salty, or just different-tasting? It looks wonderful.

Farmer's market opens tomorrow, so I can stand to eat another omelette tonight. If you saw the state of the produce at my local supermarket, you would completely understand. Feh. :hmmm:

Does the meat actually end up being more salty, or just different-tasting? It looks wonderful.

Thanks. I wondered the same - as - like Brittany - the sheep feed off the marshland watered by the ocean. Although I made a mistake: it was Kent-ish salt marsh, not Welsh. The flavour was really exceptional - really aromatic and delicate. And not salty! The colours in the picture didn't work out, it looks closer to veal than lamb. And it was marbled like prime rib.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

mobyp - that lamb looks amazing!!!!

tonight carmelized some onions in butter and brown sugar with some garlic. sauteed some sundried tomato and chicken sausages. added some beer to it all and served with leftover garlic mash and ginger snow peas. drank the leftover dogfish head chickory stout to go with it.

edited to change garlic to ginger. no i did not have that much garlic :blink:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Gee, I got really used to having other people cook for me while on vacation and had some really amazing meals. Looks like there were some great home-cooked meals here as well.

Jet-lagged dinner:

Big bowl of grits with lots of butter and salt and a tin of boquerones, glass of Rioja.

LaDuree macarons for dessert later...

Last night we had four courses planned, and had room for only three, so tonight's main course will be the one intended for last night. That would be grilled tuna steaks with mango and teriyaki sauce. What we did have was a first course of potatoes with sour cream and caviar (the usual inexpensive stuff); then a calamari, kiwi, and watercress salad which is an old favorite of ours; and then we went for the dessert, Dove Irresistibly Raspberry Vanilla Ice Cream with Raspberry Sorbet Swirls and Original Dove Chocolate Chunks Topped with Dove Chocolate Ganache Layer. Goodness, that has as many words as some of Bobby Flay's dishes.

gallery_13038_837_165607.jpg

gallery_13038_837_92246.jpg

To drink with the first two, cheap bubbly.

To drink with the first two, cheap bubbly.

3 glasses of it, simultaneously? :biggrin:

Gotta come down gently from the breakfast beers :wink:

Yesterday I went to the farmer's market. So dinner was fresh radish sandwiches with butter and fluer de sel. And then later, a Korean garlic chive pancake.

Today's meal will involve sorrel and arugula in some way.

Happy.