• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Friday evening: a plate of assorted antipasti to nibble while enjoying the nice weather outside.

gallery_9330_174_2732.jpg

grilled aubergines marinated in balsamico and basil, artichokes fried in beer batter, Maroccan cured black olives and pan fried smoked scamorza cheese "cutlets", followed by a simple green salad.

gallery_9330_174_17602.jpg

Yesterday, a simple dish of spaghetti with baby calamari sauce, enjoyed sipping a nice Alsace Pinot Blanc.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

pan fried calves liver, with a mushroom, shallot and red wine sauce (not glossy enough - must add more butter next time), with boiled jersey royals and steamed tenderstem broccoli. A meal full of antioxidants, iron, and other things good for me I'm sure!

and a couple of handfuls of red grapes and cherries and organic yoghurt later ..

Marcella's asparagus and fontina wrapped in prosciutto, baked with butter, on top of toasted olive-oiled Tuscan style bread sprinkled with Maldon sea salt and rubbed with garlic, topped with eggs fried in tons of butter. :smile: Yum.

Devoured while watching Desperate Housewives.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Our dinner last night was asparagus feast. The classic way: white asparagus with boiled eggs, steamed potatoes, very good ham and lots of melted butter. Viognier in the glass. The weather was nice so we could have dinner on the balcony. It does not get much better than this..

Marcella's asparagus and fontina wrapped in prosciutto, baked with butter, on top of toasted olive-oiled Tuscan style bread sprinkled with Maldon sea salt and rubbed with garlic, topped with eggs fried in tons of butter.  :smile: Yum.

Yum is right!

Both of these are dishes I want to make. Basilgirl, in which of Marcella's books can I find that recipe?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Our dinner last night was asparagus feast. The classic way: white asparagus with boiled eggs, steamed potatoes, very good ham and lots of melted butter. Viognier in the glass. The weather was nice so we could have dinner on the balcony. It does not get much better than this..

Marcella's asparagus and fontina wrapped in prosciutto, baked with butter, on top of toasted olive-oiled Tuscan style bread sprinkled with Maldon sea salt and rubbed with garlic, topped with eggs fried in tons of butter.  :smile: Yum.

Yum is right!

Both of these are dishes I want to make. Basilgirl, in which of Marcella's books can I find that recipe?

It is in Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking

Sunday, hot and humid in Houston. Perfect day for lighting up the grill :hmmm:. We had a family favorite grilled Lebanese chicken burgers , with homemade "Hummus" aioli, French fries and a carrot/chickpea salad. Even the Kaiser rolls were freshly baked in my oven the night before and they were awsome.

gallery_5404_94_30553.jpg

Dessert was a baked gooey (VERY gooey) coconut chocolate pudding with coconuct ice cream.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Roast Asparagus Oeufs muerette (poached in red wine sauce)

Long time low temperature cooked roast beef; Jersey Royal Chateau potatotes; brocolitini; carrots with honey;

Clafoutis; Local strawberries with balsamic

Aged cheddar and stilton

1996 Nuits St George Bernard Ambroise Vielle Vignes

1982 Domiane Hospice de Beaune; Hospice de Beaune

Roast Asparagus Oeufs muerette (poached in red wine sauce)

Long time low temperature cooked roast beef; Jersey Royal Chateau potatotes; brocolitini; carrots with honey;

Clafoutis; Local strawberries with balsamic

Aged cheddar and stilton

1996 Nuits St George Bernard Ambroise Vielle Vignes

1982 Domiane Hospice de Beaune; Hospice de Beaune

That dinner + wine takes me straight back to Beaune!

did you poach the eggs in the wine sauce? I'm interested because after my trip to Burgundy I've looked at a number of recipes for oeufs en meurette but I think they all cook sauce and eggs separately.

Dinner tonight was a lovely mix of leftovers:

asparagus soup, made of nothing but the cooking liquid from our white asparagus feast, thickened with a little cooked potato and an egg yolk. Very delicate, essence-of-asparagus flavor.

flour tortillas stuffed with leftover mole, leftover blackbeans, sour cream and grated gouda, baked with more cheese sprinkled on top. Ah, that mole is good stuff!

green salad with grilled yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes, lots of basil and balsamic vinaigrette.

Dinner tonight was scallops and shrimps in tempura crust on a light peppermint sauce with broad beans for the entrance, guinea fowel breast poached in a red onion-wine-chicken stock on lemongras-sauce with forbidden rice for the main dish and for dessert semolina flammerie with glaced white peach edges and raspberry sauce. The wine a Mosel Riesling dry Spaetlese Heymann-Loewenstein.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

These recent asparagus menus are the kind of thing upon one could solely subsist, subsist solely, seems to me.

90-degree Sunday of working around the homestead.

A restorative coupla icy Salty Dogs, as chicken halves which had been salted and peppered and left to sit around in the fridge for two days after the Zuni Cafe method finished slowly cooking over hardwood charcoal in the old Weber.

Room temp chicken, big crunchy icy iceberg salad with creamy ranch-type dressing and copious cracked pepper. LBB sourdough bread, saltylicious Tillamook butter. Korbel brut rose, icy.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Found some great Copper River wild (King) salmon, so I decided to make:

Copper River Salmon Sushi

gallery_21049_162_518721.jpg

Broiled Copper River Salmon

gallery_21049_162_575362.jpg

Also found some fresh Morels, which I used to make:

Chicken in Morel cream sauce:

gallery_21049_162_344846.jpg

and some Bread Pudding for dessert

gallery_21049_162_28262.jpg

Wine : Chateau St Jean Chardonnay Robert Young Vineyard

Cheers

Percy

Black Forest ham, cold, cut in paper-thin slices to curl in mounds upon the platter, with homemade brownseed honey mustard; Napa shreds stir-fried with garlic, soy, and a pinch of sugar; Ranch-dressed orzo salad with roasted peppers and vidalias; Jalapeno/corn/scallion/cheddar cornbread; juicy pears and Alabama Hoop Cheese. 40-weight iced lemony tea.

Edited by racheld (log)

That dinner + wine takes me straight back to Beaune!

did you poach the eggs in the wine sauce? I'm interested because after my trip to Burgundy I've looked at a number of recipes for oeufs en meurette but I think they all cook sauce and eggs separately.

I followed Bernard Amboise's recipe http://www.ambroise.com/en/oeufs-meurette.html , since we were drinking his wine and poached the egggs for 3 minutes or so in the sauce. The do come out stained purple, and it might be better if they were poached seperately, certainly easier in a restaurant.

Roasted pork quesadillas with provolone, red onion & aspargus. The homestyle flour tortillas from Trader Joe's are really, really good.

Strawberries and cream with Pepperidge Farm Bordeaux cookies crumbled in. Yum. The Boyfriend said he liked that even better than strawberry shortcake!

Cheap Cabernet-Shiraz.

While engrossed in the last 24 of the season :sad:

...Broiled Copper River Salmon...

That looks awesome! What is the relish/sauce you're using with your salmon?

Actually it is some of the "spicy sauce" I used for the sushi hand roll (a combination of chipotle mayo and sambal). Doesn't sound good, but tastes great !!

asparaguspasta3cg.jpg

You know Bill, I ordered the Babbo cookbook almost purely on the strength of your dinner photos.

Right now I'm living off pasta, oatmeal and yogurt. 1) because I am solo and trying to eat down our pantry in preparation for traveling, 2) because it's one week until the farmer's market finally opens and I'm sick of supermarket produce and 3) because I am lazy.

Tonight is bucatini with tomato butter sauce.

You know Bill, I ordered the Babbo cookbook almost purely on the strength of your dinner photos.

Thanks. I'm sure Mario appreciates it. I've not had any recipes out of it that I haven't enjoyed.

Tonight was a Salumi platter - Sopressata, Mortadela, Prosciutto di Parma, Buffalo Mozzarella, some toasted bread and some assorted olives with my new revalation - pickled garlic cloves.

salumi2uk.jpg

Bill Russell

Chilly and rainy weather in D.C. lately. Last night was Trader Joe's lentil soup doctored up with canned tomatoes, garlic, red onion, balsamic, thyme, cayenne and lots of pepper. Olive-oiled bread toasted and rubbed with garlic, sea salt, then toasted again with Fontina.

Last night we had a giant pile of sauteed mushrooms, turnip greens, and garlic topped with scrambled eggs, with a nice big salad. (In the salad: various lettuces, basil, yellow bell pepper, walnuts, and fresh mozzarella.)

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Last night was a simple, easy dinner. Piri-piri marinated grilled chicken, grilled corn and green mango salad. I ate almost the whole bowl of salad as I'd been craving it for a couple days. It was actually a very nice complement to the chicken, call it a thai-portuguese fusion thing. :raz:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Had a dinner party this weekend. Loosely themed Spanish.

I made short ribs braised in rioja (not really, I told the group it was rioja but in truth I used a 5th of Charles Shaw Red) and palacios chorizo.

Served the ribs on a bed of mashed Yukons with a minced roasted but still under cooked anaheim chile, a tablespoon of champagne vinegar and a perverted amount of EVO.

I dressed the plating with parsley oil and a good amount of minced crispy rendered chorizo to mimic the mega pinch or two of Fleur de sel I usually use on frenchy style braised short ribs.

Yum.

"You can take my foie gras when you can pry it from my cold dead hands"

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net

We had "Chufi's Classic Asparagus Feast" last night. 

:smile::smile::smile:

So how do you like white asparagus Susan? I'm curious, because from the discussions on EGullet I get the impression that Americans generally prefer the green ones.

Our dinner:

meatballs with chickpeas and spinach (Claudia Roden recipe)

couscous salad with mint, coriander, raisins, toasted pepita's, chopped tomatoes.

I think I'll have some greek yoghurt with chestnut honey for dessert.. again.