• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

This seems like a good place for a first post.

Dinner last night: The Missus wasn't home, so comfort food for me (roasted potatoes, cheese curds, demiglace, lamb tongues, and the eGullet-inspired onion confit). Dessert when she got home -- bourbon brownies with bourbon and saffron ice creams. I love the saffron; she liked it but liked the bourbon better (not a preference I can fault).

Dinner tonight: Brisket braised with black beans and fresh baked bread. I don't make bread very often, and don't like doing so, but some mention of Alton Brown's bread recipe convinced me to give it another go; one day I'll break down and either buy a stand mixer with a dough hook or a good bread machine.

Tomorrow -- almost certainly brisket tacos, since rummaging around to see if we had any more black beans unearthed a box of blue corn taco shells. I have some corn kernels I pickled last week, that I was trying to decide what to do with -- so there we go, I'll pop em onto the tacos with the brisket, some sriracha, and lettuce (and maybe more of the onion confit).

I "found" a hunk of venison in the freezer, the package said steak but I believe it was a nice crosscut of leg (round bone) as the grill is not grilling right now I seriously cheated beyond all belief.....dried and seasoned the whole "steak" after nuking to defrost, heated a dry pan and browned on both sides... took it out to rest and sauteed some onions. Sliced the meat very thin and tossed it back in the pan with some bottled BBQ sauce served with broccoli and pasta in cheese sauce...

ok this is strange to me ....does anyone but my husband ...and daughter put apple sauce on mac n cheese??

pasta and cheese sauce remember to throw out the Kraft box before saying this

ducking now ....at least the broccoli was fresh

T

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thank you Susan :)

rooftop, I've never run into applesauce on mac and cheese before, but between quince paste on cheese, and Cheddar cheese alongside apple pie (or in the crust), I guess it's not a completely insane idea.

(I've wanted for a while to make a cheddar ice cream and have some kind of apple topping with it, but I'm waiting for the early Fall apples.)

(... now I kind of want to make ice cream with that cheese sauce in the Velveeta Shells n Cheese.)

This seems like a good place for a first post.

Dinner last night: The Missus wasn't home, so comfort food for me (roasted potatoes, cheese curds, demiglace, lamb tongues, and the eGullet-inspired onion confit).  Dessert when she got home -- bourbon brownies with bourbon and saffron ice creams.  I love the saffron; she liked it but liked the bourbon better (not a preference I can fault).

How do you make the lamb tounges?

How do you make the lamb tounges?

Cured and confit (although not really confit since I didn't actually preserve them, but you know what I mean): cured overnight with Tender Quick (curing salt), ground brown mustard seeds, a little brown sugar, a little paprika; rinsed, put in a cast-iron pan, covered in fat, and cooked at 300F for ... about three hours, I think.

After they've cooled for 45 minutes or so they peel pretty easily. I could have put them back in the fat at that point, but ate half of them instead, just dressed with the same demiglace as the potatoes.

If there isn't leftover brisket for lunch tomorrow, I may have the rest of the lamb tongues -- I know Babbo serves them warm with a vinaigrette, and I have a chile-mint vinaigrette I'm in love with, so toss in some salad and instant lunch.

Burritos- Sauteed onion, jalapeno, red bell pepper, garlic, dried oregano, salt and a pinch of sugar. After it gets kind of sticky I added a bit more oil and cumin, roasted cayenne, chili powder, roasted spanish paprika and black pepper. After about 5 minutes I added ground turkey breast. Correct seasonings- this type of meat needs LOTS of seasoning to make it yummy. Added chopped cilantro at the very end with a squeeze of lime.

Whole wheat tortillas toasted over a hot burner, cheese, tomato, red onion, sour cream and hot sauce of choice- he usually prefers Cholula. A few lagers and Jeopardy...din-din is served!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

My last few meals that were worth photographing.

First, I've been having some issues with my very old rental apartment fridge. This is what happens to mushrooms when the freeze:

gallery_18348_340_304438.jpg

They shrank to half their size :shock: You learn something new everyday. So, my egg-white omlette with carmelized onions and mushrooms suddenly changed.

gallery_18348_340_387926.jpg

It became onion, red pepper and oven roasted tomatoes with morbier cheese. It turned out very well.

Tuesday night I made a thai red curry with prawns and scallops:

gallery_18348_340_592387.jpg

Wednesday night I made a pasta with various things in the fridge and freezer.

gallery_18348_340_141022.jpg

The pasta contained fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, fried shallots, fried capers, pancetta, the last of the prawns and scallops, and red wine. Of course it was finished with a little bit of butter and parmesan. (Of course in this photo you can see my wax mangled tablecloth...the hazards of having a beeswax business :laugh: I think it may be time to buy a new one)

Tonight I picked up some frozen dim sum. Nothing that exciting.

Chicken and bean chili topped with cheddar cheese and chopped red onion. Toasted jalapeno/cheese corn muffins and a broccoli, zuccini, red bell pepper saute. Root beer.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Made a gorgeous candied field green salad.. With obvious infusion of tight strands of safrron.. "Sauce on Side "It went extremely well with the leg of lamb..

You candy field greens? Tell me more, please!

Tomorrow -- almost certainly brisket tacos, since rummaging around to see if we had any more black beans unearthed a box of blue corn taco shells.  I have some corn kernels I pickled last week, that I was trying to decide what to do with -- so there we go, I'll pop em onto the tacos with the brisket, some sriracha, and lettuce (and maybe more of the onion confit).

I was wrong about this: dinner last night was in fact raw blue crab legs, in the shell, covered in an immense amount of chile sauce, my first meal at a Korean restaurant. The brisket has been corned instead.

Lovely grilled sausages--apple/gouda for him, roasted pepper for me. Rothschild Raspberry Honey Mustard. Crisp shreds of coleslaw with rice wine vinegar and brown mustard seeds. Chewy-crusted Farmer's bread. Grilled pineapple sticks with warm Caillebaut ganache for dipping. Survivor. :rolleyes:

Bacon, Beer, maybe an egg. The rut continues :sad:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Roast chicken with garlic/thyme rub; pilaf with sultanas and sunflower seeds plated with a drizzle of chicken juices; round two of crisp coleslaw--honey/roasted red pepper dressing; crunchy thin toasted sesame bagel slices. Two small Ghirardelli squares each---white mint for him.

We've been doing a lot of leftovers lately.... our freezer was packed from the culinary experiments of the past couple of months!

Shu Mai, Chicken Chakhokhbili, broiled salmon, even leftover brown rice.

Tonight is grilled lamb steaks with Moroccan spices (a mix a friend fbrought back from France), Rice-a-Roni (hey, my daughter likes it and it reminds me of my childhood), and rotkohl (sweet-and-sour red cabbage simmered in wine and applesauce).

There's still half a greasy duck in the freezer, cooked Spanish style with green olives. (That's the last time I'll stew duck.)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Indulged an intense, PMS-fueled potato craving yesterday by making scalloped red potatoes with cubed ham, corn niblets, and 4 yr. old cheddar. Skin-on potatoes, sliced by hand.

Also in the past week, a cheap blade pot roast with yukon gold potato wedges, carrot, celery and whole cremini mushrooms turned out GREAT. My budget right now is frustratingly restricting! :angry:

Edited by Chrisser (log)

Playing a bit of catch-up...

Duck Breast Salad

gallery_21049_162_72734.jpg

Angus Burger with homemade onion confit and topenade.

gallery_21049_162_50747.jpg

Hot Dog with onion confit and mustard

gallery_21049_162_11248.jpg

Earlier in the week I went to the Samson Street Oyester House which is managed by our own Katie and got the freshest oysters I have ever tasted

gallery_21049_162_55084.jpg

Followed by a Shrimp Po-Boy

gallery_21049_162_22301.jpg

Cheers

Wow, Percy. Now I really want some oysters...

Yesterday we had a little dinner party. one of the guests had her weight watchers weigh in the next day, so I tried to be accomodating:

- Salumi lomo and moroccan black olives on the table with aperatifs

- tomato fennel soup from the Les Halles cookbook, with epi loaves from the Bread Baker's apprentice cookbook (see below pic).

- Marcella's roast chicken with lemon (well, two of them)

- Braised artichokes with potatoes

- Rhubarb compote with either whipped cream or lowfat yogurt

- Espresso, with a square of Vahlrona dark chocolate with orange peel

- We had a great wine, a 2003 Gruner Veltliner. Once we ran out of that, we cracked open some Portugese moscato which is an old favorite.

Didn't take any pictures, except for the bread:

gallery_17531_173_10076.jpg

Wow, delicious looking food and great photos, as always Percy.

Now I'll take my turn to play catch-up; although not all of my dinners this past week have been both noteworthy and photogenic.

Well it doesn't make any difference how photogenic anything was if I can't load the pictures. The USB cable has been temperamental lately and it looks like a little prong or some part of it is broken. Damn, that bums me out, bad.

One of the best photos was going to be Thursday night's dinner of beautiful and tasty ribs that we slow cooked on the grill, Caesar salad, and corn on the cob. Not as pretty but about as good-tasting was going to be sauteed herbed boneless chicken thighs and baby artichokes, with homegrown baby cabbage from our garden and Florida grown corn & zucchini, from Wednesday night.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.