• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Mixed spring greens. Hot and sour soup with leftover pork. Grilled NY strip steaks. Dessert was sliced strawberries with cream.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Wonderful looking and sounding dinners, everyone!

I have some catching up to do.

And

last night of being single this weekend (dinner tomorrow night will be take away from barnstormer bbq in newburg, ny since i work till 5 pm) so a night of "stuff i like that johnnybird hates"

...Suzi, I wish I had the chance to be single as often as you. :biggrin: I just love being home alone. I have enjoyed the last few days eating what I want when I want while Russ has been gone, although I can't say he would not have liked these.

gallery_13038_837_33697.jpg

This looks pretty bizarre. They are store-bought gorgonzola and walnut raviolis, with beets and a beet sauce I made.

gallery_13038_837_38730.jpg

Another night I had potstickers, again store-bought with the sauces I made.

gallery_13038_837_144867.jpg

At least one night I wasn't on as much of a carb kick, and had steak.

Before Russ went out of town, we had quite a bit of company, and these were some of our dinners.

gallery_13038_837_110240.jpg

gallery_13038_837_29803.jpg

gallery_13038_837_95515.jpg

For this belated Easter dinner for my in-laws, I used the entire menu from the March 2005 issue of Bon Appetit (except the dessert was a strawberry and kiwi tart instead of a pear tart), suggested wines included:

Shrimp, Cucumber, and Mango Salad

Wine-braised Leg of Lamb with Garlic

White Beans with Tomatoes and Spinach

and a Purchased Fruit Tart for Dessert ...very good recipes that I would highly recommend.

gallery_13038_837_48270.jpg

Salmon Lasagne, for another night of company

gallery_13038_837_14160.jpg

Part of our Danish-style dinner on one of the nights our Danish son was here

gallery_13038_837_77202.jpg

Steak & pasta, by request when both sons were here

gallery_13038_837_101784.jpg

These were the Pork Balls with Guacamole, I can't remember when.

gallery_13038_837_150495.jpg

and my "Paper Plated Dinner" the night I cooked for seven.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Susan, those ravioli look very fairytale-like :biggrin:

They also gave me a great idea. I made some beetroot ravioli recently but they tasted very sweet and a bit bland. Now after seeing your post I'm thinking they would taste great with a gorgonzola cheese sauce.. it would be the same dish you cooked, only inside out! I still have some of the ravioli in the freezer so I might try that this week.

and my "Paper Plated Dinner" the night I cooked for seven.

Is that fried chicken for 7? You are brave!

I've not had a very succesfull cooking week. Tough ostrich steak on friday night, and some dull dinners composed of leftovers from the freezer. But yesterday I had a lot of fun making papoutsakia, as part of the Moussaka cook-off

gallery_21049_162_79750.jpg

How do you keep your red onion slices together on the barbeque? I find they always fall apart (and inevitably down through the grate) when I try to turn them or lift them off. Are you just much less sloppy than I am, or is there some secret to it?

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I made Slow Roasted Chipotle Salmon and Pineapple/Cilantro Rice. Very tasty, the salmon goes into a 225F oven for about 30 to 40 minutes depending on thickness. The fat just melts into the flesh so it's incredibly moist. The chipotle, actually the adobo, gives the salmon a really nice kick. I made a ginge/lime sauce to serve with it. Delicious. If you want the recipes just email me tpogue@comcast.net

Martini's with caperberries before dinner.

terry

Eating an artichoke is like getting to know someone really well.

How  do you keep your red onion slices together on the barbeque? I find they always fall apart (and inevitably down through the grate) when I try to turn them or lift them off. Are you just much less sloppy than I am, or is there some secret to it?

Lexy,

No secret, just brush them with some olive oil, season, try to place them flat on the grate when you turn them. A spatula helps as opposed to some tongs.

The Grill Gods may still claim some onion rings....note the one on the left in the pic :rolleyes:

Lately, Sundays have featured a full afternoon of cooking components of dinners for later in the week. By suppertime, I have become a lazy loafer. We had brie and crackers at around 6 and headed off to a movie. When we got back, S. just had a bunch of dry-roasted peanuts; I heated up one of a stack of flour tortillas a friend made for us and topped it with a couple of scrambled eggs, a few strips of sauteed peppers from the fridge, and some Sriracha sauce (AKA Magic Rooster). This was followed by some Wavy Lays. Fancy stuff!

Edited to add: Oh, yes, and bourbon. Maker's Mark on the rocks.

Edited by redfox (log)

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Bouchon cookbook day #2...... butter lettuce salad with quich lorraine

Bouchon cooking

last night we had friends over for dinner, no pictures but started with negroni's and antipasta plate. Then grilled tuscan bread salad, roast pork romano, twice baked butternut squash and tiramisu gelato.

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Crabcakes broiled, Springmix, Tomatoes, Hot buttered Corn

Ice cold watermelon

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

gallery_2_4_33871.jpg

papoutsakia, aka baked stuffed eggplants/aubergines with meat sauce and bechemel, from the Moussaka Cook-Off

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

How  do you keep your red onion slices together on the barbeque? I find they always fall apart (and inevitably down through the grate) when I try to turn them or lift them off. Are you just much less sloppy than I am, or is there some secret to it?

No secret, just brush them with some olive oil, season, try to place them flat on the grate when you turn them. A spatula helps as opposed to some tongs.

I slice mine thick and put a metal skewer through the center to hold a flat shape. Works like a charm.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

gallery_13038_837_33697.jpg

This looks pretty bizarre.  They are store-bought gorgonzola and walnut raviolis, with beets and a beet sauce I made.

This inspired me to make this, which is basically Susans dish inside out:

gallery_21505_358_1672.jpg

beetroot ravioli with a gorgonzola sauce, sprinkled with walnuts and chives

It was sublime. My husband said: "I hope this isn't one of your one time things, you have to make this again!"

Very tasty non-cooking dinner yesterday evening, as it was picnic weather in DC: proscuitto, baguette, fresh mozz, extra sharp cheddar, salami, mineolas, mango chutney, apples, blanket, beloved, sunshine.

That sounds wonderful. I am going to copy that idea and some of your picnic menu soon!

I slice mine thick and put a metal skewer through the center to hold a flat shape. Works like a charm.

...A great idea. Thanks!

This inspired me to make this, which is basically Susans dish inside out:

gallery_21505_358_1672.jpg

beetroot ravioli with a gorgonzola sauce, sprinkled with walnuts and chives

It was sublime. My husband said: "I hope this isn't one of your one time things, you have to make this again!"

Klary, how cool is that, "the inside out dish" :smile:... I'm glad I could be of some inspiration to you. The combination of those flavors is delicious, isn't it? A day or two later I fixed the rest of the gorgonzola & walnut raviolis with a butter sauce, and it didn't taste nearly as good to me as the beets/ beet sauce did.

Edited by Susan in FL (log)

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Made this Saturday based on a recipe from the Chronicle food section last week. It turned out nicely. Chervil has a mild licorice flavor, and looks like a more delicate parsley.

I scaled the recipe down for two, changed the herb profile, and simplified the vinaigrette.

Erik

original:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...BA1.DTL#halibut

---------

Lemon Herb Roasted Halibut with Citrus Vinaigrette & Root Vegetables

INGREDIENTS:

For the vegetables and fish:

2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks

1 bulb Fennel, quartered and sliced 1/4 inch thick

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 pound small red or yellow potatoes, quartered

4 shallots, peeled and halved

1 teaspoon fresh Thyme, minced

1 lemon, thinly sliced (1/16th inch!)

Chervil Sprigs

3/4 pounds halibut fillet, skin on

Salt and pepper to taste

For the vinaigrette:

1 shallot, minced

1/4 cup fresh orange juice

1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar

1 generous teaspoon Dijon mustard

1/4 cup fruity olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

2 teaspoons finely chopped chervil, plus sprigs for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS:

For the vegetables and fish: Preheat oven to 400°.

Toss the carrots, potatoes, shallots, and fennel in olive oil, and

season with salt and pepper. Spread in a 9 x 13-inch roasting pan, and

cook in oven until starting to brown.

Spread the vegetables to the outer edges of the pan, leaving a space

in the middle. Season the halibut well with salt and pepper. Line the

space in the middle with enough lemon slices to cover area of fish.

Place the fish on top of the lemon slices skin side down. Cover the

fish with chervil sprigs, remainder of thinly sliced lemon, drizzle

with olive oil and place back in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until

the fish is cooked through.

For the vinaigrette:

Combine orange juice, vinegar, rice wine, pinch salt, and shallots in

a bowl. Whisk to combine, and continue whisking while pouring in

olive oil in a thin stream. Pause pouring olive oil

occasionally;but, continue whisking to be sure the mixture is

emulsifying. Once all the olive oil is in, stir in minced Chervil and

season to taste.

To finish: Place the fish in the center of a large platter and

surround with the roasted vegetables. If you don't care for the lemon

slices, remove them. Garnish with fresh chervil sprigs and drizzle

vinaigrette over fish (or serve on the side).

Serves 2

fixed amount

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Dinner will be braised fennel with garlic and lemon, baked white beans and steamed baby potatoes. I love braised vegetables!

I was just thinking a cheese plate would be the perfect end to this meal (including roaring 40s blue), but if I don't make it to the store, it will have to be some chocolate covered almonds.

Sunday night, I seared a veal chop with local scallions and mushrooms in a marsala cream sauce, which I ate with a steamed artichoke with homemade sauce tartare.

Roasted pork tenderloin with a cherry preserve/rosemary/red wine reduction, along with mashed new potatoes and pea shoot salad with vinaigrette. No photos as it was dark already, and pork tenderloin with cherry sauce looks like roadkill. Seriously. But ooooh, it smelled so good and tasted even better. Little Logan (The King of the Babies™) snarfed it up with his brand-new two-year molars (he's only 14 months).

Leftovers will make good sandwiches, right? I wonder if I could fiddle around and do a makeshift Cuban sandwich with this meat.

Over the weekend, I participated in the eGullet Sui Mai Cook-Off, so we had two different types of siu mai, along with other dim sum made from the leftovers. Yeah, I know it's not normally served at dinner, but we were out during the day so couldn't do it for breakfast or lunch.

Tonight was grilled turkey & Swiss with tarragon mustard, mine on La Brea rosemary-olive oil bread, my husband's on Milton's multigrain bread, both with a side of leftover cold asparagus spears. My daughter had a "baby bagel" and lox followed by an Eggo chocolate-chip waffle topped with chocolate syrup. Don't ask!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

No pictures.. but, sliced smoked duck, scallions, pesto, and parm flakes on a whole wheat french baguette... Leecheeeee martinees...

one large can of lychees,

one large bottle of zyr vodka "3

one small 1/2 bottle of sec"

combine in ice cream machine :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

Sunday:

-Circassian Chicken, Turkish dish of shredded chicken in walnut sauce from the latest issue of F&W. Served with Parsley salad, pita bread and pickled turnips.

Dessert: Suzy's cake from Pierre Herme's Chocolate Desserts

Monday:

-Marinated grilled calf's heart. I used the recipe from the St. John book. This was meat, tender and quiet tasty. Served with a celery/parsley/caper salad.

Teusday:

-Stir fried pork with mushrooms and a hoisin based sauce.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog