• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Y'all made me hungry for a whole fish! Last night we were out to dinner and on the menu was a "flash fried" (deep-fried) whole red snapper with a hoisin glaze, so I ordered that. It was very good, and got us thinking we'll try deep frying a whole fish. Our biggest deep-fryer is on the side of our grill... wonderful for keeping the greasy mess in the great outdoors!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

friday was vegetarian night at 31 croft so participated in the pad thai cook off by making padd thai bann gog from Cracking the Coconut by Su-Mei Yu. noodles, garrlic, fried tofu, salt-packed capers, bean sprouts and dry-roasted nuts(accidently grabbed the mixed nuts instead of peanuts). john inhaled it!!!!!

last night was chicken with 40 cloves of garlic(ok - chicken breasts with 27 cloves), noodles and haricot verts. the leftovers will be turned into a soup once the stock thaws.

today we are cleaning up from the rain yesterday that sent tons of gravel and silt down our street and into our driveway and back yard. macaroni and cheese from the newest saveur magazine and a salad. i can just pop the casserole in the oven and go out to shovel some more :hmmm:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

For today's lunch we had stuffed rabbit with spaetzle on a rabbit stock reduction. The deboned rabbit was filled with minced meat from the legs, the sauted liver and the kidneys.

gallery_23358_919_89244.jpg

The desert was the leftover dessert of the easter lunch. A chocolate egg shell filled with white chokolate mousse and a mango sauce in the middle representing the eggyolk

gallery_23358_919_85397.jpg

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Nice looking food, everyone!

We are cooking for at least three for a while! :smile: One of our boys is here now, and another and his girlfriend are coming later this week.

gallery_13038_837_129559.jpg

gallery_13038_837_140126.jpg

gallery_13038_837_37577.jpg

gallery_13038_837_32834.jpg

gallery_13038_837_13999.jpg

...A bit of a different way to picture dinner tonight. We rotisserie-grilled a roast of beef; oven-roasted potatoes with rosemary, garlic, S&P, olive oil, and duck fat; cooked peas and corn on the stove top; and put together a bowl of salad using some of the little yellow tomatoes from our garden (and yeah those edible flowers that just don't go away). And for the final photo they actually gave me their permissions to post their pictures.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Too cool. Like an edible version of a cadbury egg. :wink:

Our dinner was basic stuff. Good salami, bruscetta, and eggplant parmigiana. Not the most photogenic of foods, but what it lacks in looks it makes up for in charm. Espresso & starbucks ice cream for dessert.

I will eat something green tomorrow, I think.

Dinner tonight was at the SO's request as it was cold and rainy all day. Green salad and freshly made pain de campagne followed by lasagna (trad. meat sauce, fresh ricotta, mozz.). Dessert was Lemon Meringue Pie made from my mom's own recipe -- too bad I'm too far away to get lemons from her tree. :sad:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Saturday - Pan Seared Scallops and Scallop Cake with Saffron Risotto

The sauce was made with Aioli, egg, lemon juice and parsley.

gallery_21049_162_22523.jpg

Sunday - Sweetbreads with mushroom. Tandoori chicken w/naan

Was grocery shopping this afternoon and came across some veal sweetbreads, so I immediately knew what I was going to have for dinner :wink: . The sweetbread was made with Mitake, Crimini and Shitake mushrooms with some left over short ribs, demi glace, marrow bones and duck fat.

gallery_21049_162_31434.jpg

gallery_21049_162_44401.jpg

I had bought this chicken and naan a few days ago and had to finish it too.

gallery_21049_162_59048.jpg

This week we are cooking out of the Feb issue of Food&Wine- the Spanish issue.

salad of white beans and chorizo with olives

gallery_16100_1_685.jpg

saucy clams and shrimp

gallery_16100_1_319909.jpg

chicken and vegtable croquettes

gallery_16100_1_455504.jpg

all served with Txacolli (sp?) a basque white wine which is slightly effervescent

dessert thanks to Ferain Adria- bittersweet chocolat on toasts with EVOO and sea salt

gallery_16100_1_259457.jpg

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Last night -- no pix as dinner was delicious but turned out to be non-photogenic:

Deep-fried whole tilapia

Grilled portobello mushrooms brushed with chimichurri sauce

French baguettes with more chimichurri sauce

The pan I used was too small for the tilapia, so when I turned it, the skin stuck to the bottom of the pan instead of going with the fish, and then the tail fell off. Now if I'd been a TV chef, I'd have another tilapia in reserve.... :wink:

Tonight, we had oysters rockefeller (store-bought) and spaghetti puttanesca, followed by a "cheese course" of Old Amsterdam aged Gouda and matzoh! I'd been planning to serve a salad, but the oysters were so drenched in spinach that I think we'll skip the greens tonight. :wacko:

(edited for spelling)

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Grilling in April...first time posting an image, please bear with me. :rolleyes:

Shrimp, asparagus, bread, red onion etc.

gallery_17172_1047_252022.jpg

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Dinner with the wife:

We start out with a nice bottle of 2001 Nederburg Pinotage – a very nice wine from South Africa, slight cherry smell (not sure about raspberry as the label says) but smell cherry. The taste is old cherry, like the old vines but hey I like wine. Very smooth that only improves as the bottle is open. Not bad for a $18 bottle of wine ($30 in a bistro).

The meal is just one, a Roast Rack of lamb cooked with a Kalamata olive marinade topped with a Merlot wine reduction served with Shitake Mushroom Risotto and Roasted Asparagus.

food%20006.JPG

Jason

<edit add dollar signs>

Edited by BonfireCuisine (log)

Susan, what a lovely colorful meal.

Wendy, I want those vegetable croquettes for lunch! Now!

petite tete de chou, your grilled dinner looks so inviting, it speaks of summer!

our dinner yesterday: stamppot raapstelen with lemon-parsley veal scaloppini.

Stamppot is a classic dutch dish of potatoes mashed together with another vegetable. Winter favorites are choucroute and kale, this is a summer version with turnip tops, mustard and ham:

gallery_21505_358_42194.jpg

Dinner tonight: chicken scorzonera mushroom pie. It looked very pretty when it came out of the oven and out of the springform tin. And then it totally collapsed when I cut into it and was one big pastry-scorzonera-chicken-mushroom mess.

So, no pic!

But it was the first time I cooked scorzonera and I loved it.

Moroccan night.

Cucumber and zaatar salad:

gallery_17531_173_2834.jpg

Do we have a food stylist/photographer in the making?

Really, your pictures are so lovely. How is that cucumber salad made? It looks so refreshing.

And Chufi, I guess stamppot is similar to colcannon in Ireland?

Edited by M. Lucia (log)

And Chufi, I guess stamppot is similar to colcannon in Ireland?

yes, it's similar, although colcannon is (I think) always made with potatoes & cabbage, whereas stamppot can be made with potatoes and almost anything.

Thanks for the compliments SuzySushi and Chufi.

I called it my "April Withdrawls" supper. As much I love winter vegetables I.just.couldn't.take.it.anymore and craved a taste of summer, seasons be damned.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

stamppot raapstelen with lemon-parsley veal scaloppini.

Stamppot is a classic dutch dish of potatoes mashed together with another vegetable. Winter favorites are choucroute and kale, this is a summer version with turnip tops, mustard and ham:

gallery_21505_358_42194.jpg

That dish looks like "bubble and squeak" does it

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

As much as her mannerisms irritate me, I made Rachael Ray's lavash pizzas, the only difference between hers and mine is that I dress my greens and she doesn't dress hers.

closeuppizza04APR05.jpg

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Do we have a food stylist/photographer in the making?

Really, your pictures are so lovely. How is that cucumber salad made? It looks so refreshing.

Aww. Thanks! :smile:

The salad is really easy: peel, seed and grate cucumbers. Squeeze out excess water. Dress with sugar, olive oil, vinegar, salt and zaatar, and chill until ready to seve, then add the black olives. Actually, the original recipe was from Paula Wolfert's Moroccan book. While probably authentic, the original recipe had too much sugar for my taste, so you can adjust the seasoning the way you like it.

Oh, we went out today. It wasn't great but Monday is a late day.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Tonight was rotisserie chicken (cavity stuffed with a head of garlic, a lemon, fresh herbs) potato and leek gratin using a mustard cream and peas. Pinot grigio to accompany.....actually the second bottle, the first evaporated while all the cooking was going on!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.