• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Friday nights dinner - Aunt's B-Day

Country Sour Dough (ACE) with various herb butters and mushroom butters

3 Tarts:

-Spanish Onion confit, wood oven tomatoes, marinated black olives

-Caramalized leeks, thyme, asiago

-Sun dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, rosemary

Mushroom tastes:

-Grilled shitake mushrooms w/thyme-rosemary-garlic-evoo marinade

-Sauteed Maitake (sp) over grilled baguette

-Sauteed porchini over grilled polenta

Pepper rubbed Tuna seared on BBQ

Seared Duck breast with a shallot, sage, port reduction.

Cheese course (Peccorino, Petit Basque, Brie, Tallegio)

5 Layer cake - (from bottom to top) Sponge, marzipan, chocolate, hazelnut puree, meringue

Was yummy.

Friday night: Black & Tans, no food :wacko:

Saturday: My mom bought me a new stove for my birthday! My 33-year old Harvest Gold stove/oven will soon be history! I got a beautiful GE Profile gas stove with gray grates, and saved $400 by getting the floor model.

Saturday night: Chicken in sherry vinegar sauce from A New Way to Cook, Wild Pecan Rice and green beans in mustard vinaigrette

Last night: Mario's Pork a la Perugina (with prosciutto, capers, anchovies, white wine, garlic), roasted fennel with parmesan, roasted garlic mashed potatoes with olive oil and scallions. Sliced pork loin 1" thick (3 slices), then rubbed the rest with olive oil and herbs de provence/Maldon sea salt & pepper and Setted It and Forgetted It for sandwiches this week.

Can't wait to use the new stove to make a ham for Easter. :smile:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I made a celebratory dinner this past weekend (two birthdays, mine and a friend). I got much inspiration from egullet in putting this together-- directly and indirectly. I added links to other threads when appropriate... There was a bit of "a la minute" work associated with this meal (the shrimp, sauteed mushrooms for soup, lamb chops, fruit salad plating--but I put together a detailed timeline/intstructional notes and taped it up on a cabinet next to the stove--this helped big time and things went very smoothly) through the five courses once I started.

Grilled Prunes stuffed w/Bleu D’Auvergne

Bresaeola Crostini with Arugula Butter

Crème Fraiche Egg Salad Brotchen with Salmon Roe Caviar

Vintage 1999 Gruet Blanc de Blancs

Cabbage Gruyere Salad with Crispy Shrimp

(reverse engineered from a description of a dish at the Modern at MOMA). click

Parsley Soup with Wild Mushrooms (soup thread)

Bonny Doon Cigare Blanc 2003

Lamb Loin Chops with Meyer Lemon Confit and Pignoli Crust (Cafe Boulud Cookbook)

Barley Risotto

Carrot Gratin

Beaulieu Vineyards BV Cabernet Sauvignon Rutherford Napa Valley 1993

French Laundry, “Salade du Printemps” with Strawberries, Oranges, Candied Rhubarb and Fennel, and Mascarpone Ice Cream (FL Cookbook Thread)

Dobos Torte (Dobos Thread)

Coffee

Calvados and Cognac

WTN:

The Bonny Doon Cigare Blanc was very nice--racy with Roussanne, crisp but full bodied enough to stand up nicely to the strongly savory cabbage/gruyere salad and the parsley soup.

The 1993 BV Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon was excellent; there was even some of the famed eucalyptus/mint flavor still in the mix.

The New Mexico Gruet--Blancs de Blanc Vintage was very nice as well. A richer style but still crisp enough to work well as an opener with the hors d'oeuvres.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Cod with a cep sauce, Iberico ham and sherry jelly:

gallery_895_976_102429.jpg

That looks and sounds absolutely awesome---thank you for sharing the photos and idea for the dish!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Friday:

Bouchon's Salmon tartare with homemade Pain De Campagne

gallery_5404_94_175253.jpg

Saturday:

Had some friends over for dinner and made chicken on the grill two ways-

- Chicken breast kebabs marinated in buttermilk, garlic, cumin, papprica adn lemon juice. I used Rosemary branches from the backyard for skewers mainly because the Rosemary bush is getting very big and because they look way cool.

- Chicken thighs marinated in oil, lemon juice, garlic, and ground corriander.

Served with a salad of grilled zuchini, chickpeas and parsley.

Dessert: Torta Di Nonna (Ricotta Tart) from Batali's first book, served with a plum "honey". I only remembered to take a picture of this.

gallery_5404_94_31648.jpg

Monday:

Thin Milanesa steaks, pan seared and served with lots of onions and mushrooms with a deglazed pan sauce on top of rice.

More ice cream for dessert.

Elie

Sunday:

Leftover grilled chicken sandwiches on homemade sourdough rosemary rolls with cilantro/lime mayo.

French fries

Dessert: PH's chocolate bannana split with homemade ice cream, rum soaked raisins, whip cream, and chocolate sauce.

gallery_5404_94_113158.jpg

gallery_5404_94_29724.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Family style:

Mixed grain (Lundberg short grain brown rice, Korean brown sticky rice, Chinese white rice); roasted chicken thighs and drumsticks with zataar, cumin, paprika and harissa and a panko crust with lime slivers and fresh coriander (to be used on the meat once the skin is used to scoop grain); sautéed Shanghai bok choy with butter; roasted pineapple and plum tomatoes with pomegranate seeds and roasted chiles.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Adam, what does 'blueing process' mean? That trout looks lovely.  Did you catch that fly fishing?? I firmly believe that NO ONE ever really catches trout that way.... :shock:  :raz:

-Get LIVE trout

-Grab and dunk in boiling court bouillon. Or is it water?

and according to Escoffier you'll have what is called Blue Trout :biggrin: .

Ok, this might be a little too simplified but as I remember it that is what is involved in the process especially the LIVE fish.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Adam, what does 'blueing process' mean? That trout looks lovely.  Did you catch that fly fishing?? I firmly believe that NO ONE ever really catches trout that way.... :shock:  :raz:

-Get LIVE trout

-Grab and dunk in boiling court bouillon. Or is it water?

and according to Escoffier you'll have what is called Blue Trout :biggrin: .

Ok, this might be a little too simplified but as I remember it that is what is involved in the process especially the LIVE fish.

Elie

Wait...so you don't gut the fish first? Just dunk it in the boullion? I'm all for serving a whole fish, but that seems a bit much....

johnnybird is due in about 45 minutes. dinner is at a stopping point just before finishing tomato florentine soup ( just have to add the pastina then the well cleaned spinach). decided to make openfaced cheese sandwiches to go with it - toasted rye bread with grated cheddar mixed with mustard - i guess a semi welsh rarebit and a slaw of jicima and red pepper. don't care if it doesn't really fit but it really called to me - sweet and crunchy and sour in the dressing. yum :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

From the article discussed in this thread

Escoffier's truite au bleu requires that trout be "procured in mountainous districts, where the clear water they inhabit is constantly refreshed by strong currents." He also requires that you toss a stunned trout into boiling bouillon. I wanted to follow his advice, but I couldn't bear to see the fish endure captivity. I thumped him on the head with a board and froze him.

So I guess it is not gutted!

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Fried Chicken tonight:

gallery_2_4_20308.jpg

24 hour Buttermilk bath, seasoned with Crystal Hot Sauce

gallery_2_4_35538.jpg

Dusted with seasoning blend

gallery_2_4_12978.jpg

Fryin' up

gallery_2_4_5000.jpg

Cooling on the rack

gallery_2_4_9401.jpg

Plated with cornbread, German potato salad, collards, carrot and red cabbage slaw.

gallery_2_4_367397.jpg

Gratuitous closeup

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

A big plate of halved baby green peppers stuffed with dace fish paste, then floured and pan-fried, and then topped with a mild sweet and sour sauce...

...also, leftovers from lunch: cheesy, buttery mashed potatoes, and thickly-sliced mushrooms sauteed in butter and chopped dill

dessert was a lotus seed "pie" (from a Chinese bakery) and Rice Krispie squares (they're supposed to be for my students, but I couldn't resist.....heh heh) :wink:

Here I go my first attempt at pictures:

gallery_16347_994_856.jpg

Spring's first Butt. (at least for me it was) Also enjoyed was creamy coleslaw and BBQ beans. Pear Strudel for dessert.

Who says you can't get decent Q north of Philly!

Yeah! it worked!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Spring's first Butt. (at least for me it was) Also enjoyed was creamy coleslaw and BBQ beans. Pear Strudel for dessert.

Yeah! it worked!

OK stoopid question. What's 'butt'? We don't have the expression in England.

From the article discussed in this thread
Escoffier's truite au bleu requires that trout be "procured in mountainous districts, where the clear water they inhabit is constantly refreshed by strong currents." He also requires that you toss a stunned trout into boiling bouillon. I wanted to follow his advice, but I couldn't bear to see the fish endure captivity. I thumped him on the head with a board and froze him.

So I guess it is not gutted!

Elie

The blueing is what happens when the mucus layer on the trout becomes fixed. The same type of thing what happens to egg white proteins when they denature by heat, or by acid etc. They coaggulate and turn the white from clear to opaque. In the case of the trout, the mucus layer is thin and goes only semi-opaque, hence the blue look.

It isn't essential that the fish is alive, just that it has an intact mucus layer. What I did was to put the fish into hot mild acid solution (1:4 vinegar to water), until the colour change occured, then poached it in a court boullion until cooked.

Yep, caught on a fly. It is illegal to fish in most rivers on a Sunday in Scotland, so this was caught in a stocked loch. Hence, it is a North American rainbow trout, rather then a local brown trout.

Yeah! it worked!

Pear strudel? Oh boy, YUM!!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Its also known as a shoulder, picnic shoulder, Boston Butt or Fore leg of a pig. The rear leg is a ham (fresh or smoked.) Not a stoopid question. Did you notice the picture on the right? Its from a recent England v. Ireland rugby game.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Its also known as a shoulder, picnic shoulder, Boston Butt or Fore leg of a pig. The rear leg is a ham (fresh or smoked.) Not a stoopid question. Did you notice the picture on the right? Its from a recent England v. Ireland rugby game.

Thank you! wonder why 'butt' though if it's the fore shoulder...? maybe something to do with its shape? thought it referred to - you know - ass...