• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Last night's dinner was a pork loin roast that was just incredible...moist and porky!

Served with mashed potatoes and oven-roasted aparagus (a la the roasted cauliflower method) that was simple yet delicious. Didn't really make a gravy from the pork loin...just a nice sauce from the pan drippings.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

We had a grazing dinner yesterday. Started with marinated roasted sworfish with avocados, scallions, radishes wrapped in perilla leaves. Later on we had some of the dumplings frozen from last week, pan fried then steamed for spouse, in mandu guk (Korean-style soup) for me. All with the rest of the viognier. Then we had our favorite grappa, with the Simpsons. I have no idea what to make tonight, I am sort of in the mood for chicken or a hamburger (I am so suggestible!) but I really shouldn't be cooking. I have way too much work. :sad:

We had a grazing dinner yesterday. Started with marinated roasted sworfish with avocados, scallions, radishes wrapped in perilla leaves. Later on we had some of the dumplings frozen from last week, pan fried then steamed for spouse, in mandu guk (Korean-style soup) for me. All with the rest of the viognier. Then we had our favorite grappa, with the Simpsons. I have no idea what to make tonight, I am sort of in the mood for chicken or a hamburger (I am so suggestible!) but I really shouldn't be cooking. I have way too much work. :sad:

Well, if you're in the mood for chicken the eGullet Cookoff V is fried chicken -- clicky!! Join in.... :biggrin:

edited to add link.

Edited by Jake (log)

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Last night's dinner was a pork loin roast that was just incredible...moist and porky!

Served with mashed potatoes and oven-roasted aparagus (a la the roasted cauliflower method) that was simple yet delicious.  Didn't really make a gravy from the pork loin...just a nice sauce from the pan drippings.

We had a roast pork loin and mashed potatoes last night too! I did make gravy from the drippings finished with one of my pork stock cubes.

Tonight's dinner was pork schnitzel (ok, I'm on a pork roll) and Fettucine Alfredo. The schitzel was served with taziki. All right, a strange comination of flavours but it's what my son asked for!

Fettucine Sauce. Ok, it's not "classic" because I add cream cheese to my sauce as well as the butter, cream and parmesan. But we like it this way.

gallery_6080_942_7562.jpg

Slightly off centre (where's that eG photography class?) pork schnitzel

gallery_6080_942_36574.jpg

Fettucine with cracked pepper. I would have used parsley to decorate it, but I think I packed it already.

gallery_6080_942_25822.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Salad of Mache & some other greens in a cranberry vinaigrette w/ rock shrimp and shaved parmesan:

gallery_16210_533_21237.jpg

gallery_16210_533_46482.jpg

Lamb Shank braised in red wine & cranberry over black lentils w/ truffled potatoes, sauteed mushrooms & red wine/cranberry reduction:

Before:

gallery_16210_533_31769.jpg

After:

gallery_16210_533_94984.jpg

Guess she liked it. :wub:

No pix tonight... Continuing with French week (DH wanted "one more French dinner"), dinner was:

Steak with Sauce Chateau.... a recipe I've had for a long, long time (I don't remember where it came from ) of sauteed shallots in a reduction of white wine and beef stock, swirled with a dab of tomato paste (is that French???) and finished with butter...

Complemented by Chevre Mashed Potatoes.

No green veggie because I had trouble getting everything on the table at the same time. :wacko: My 8 year old wanted the steak minus the sauce, and the mashed potatoes minus the goat cheese but topped with plain brown gravy, and the Sauce Chateau came together so quickly that there was no time to do anything else. Maybe we'll have some as a late-night snack.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

My second attempt at short ribs. The recipe was loosely based on the recipe in Les Halles but some adjustments. (No fresh herbs, different vinegar etc.)

Before:gallery_18348_340_430400.jpg

After 2 1/2 hours in the oven:

gallery_18348_340_410880.jpg

I served them on a bed of Stilton mashed potatoes. Oh My were they tasty. The next morning I made a hash for breakfast with some of the leftovers. I still have another 3 large pieces in the fridge :shock::raz:

Coincidentally, I took some leftover short ribs & gravy out of the freezer and, with the addition of some blanched carrots and a quick pastry dough, made a beef pot pie. Yum.

We also had a salad: cress, goat cheese and avocado with lemon, olive oil and cracked pepper dressing.

(Got home a little earlier today :wink:)

If you can call pizzas made at home using Boboli crusts homemade, we had homemade pizza tonight. One had Fontina, corn, pancetta, cilantro, and a few other toppings, and the other was a three cheese pizza with onion and sage leaves. We drank a bottle of Rioja.

gallery_13038_837_88324.jpg

gallery_13038_837_31935.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

My second attempt at short ribs.  The recipe was loosely based on the recipe in Les Halles but some adjustments.  (No fresh herbs, different vinegar etc.)

Before:gallery_18348_340_430400.jpg

After 2 1/2 hours in the oven:

gallery_18348_340_410880.jpg

I served them on a bed of Stilton mashed potatoes.  Oh My were they tasty.  The next morning I made a hash for breakfast with some of the leftovers.  I still have another 3 large pieces in the fridge :shock:  :raz:

Wow, that looks so good!! Is the recipe in Les Halles accessible online? I would really like to know how to make that.

And serving it on Stilton mashed potatoes... oh my, yes.

Friday:

Crock pot beans cooked with Italian tomatoes and pork.

gallery_5404_94_998337.jpg

Saturday:

Did some backyard spring weeding and ended up with a bunch of dandelions. So dinner was a simple wild dandelion (is there any other kind?) and olive salad sandwich on homemade Pugliese bread. This was so fast simple and boy was it good. Of course I was starving and exhausted by dinner time so anything might've tasted good :smile:

gallery_5404_94_112990.jpg

Sunday:

-Slow cooked pork butt, prepared following Paula Wolfert's recipe for "Day and Night Pork Shoulder". Although I did cook it at a slightly higher temp. so that it could be done "faster (ie in 10 hours) in time for the dinner guests. this was one of the best roasted pork pieces I've evr had. Juicy, meltingly tender, but at the same time it did not just fall apart. I will be cooking this again.

-The last of my garden carrots, simply glazed with some mint leaves.

-Rice with pine nuts and corriander

-Dessert was cream filled "Ataiif"

gallery_5404_94_2017.jpg

gallery_5404_94_163255.jpg

Monday:

Leftover pork was turned into a sort of Thai fried rice with a paste made from galangal, chillies, lemongrass, garlic and shallots.

Actually I removed what was left of the awsome skin, crisped it up and munched on it while I cooked the rice.

gallery_5404_94_171403.jpg

Tonight:

Baked penne with eggplants, mushrooms, tomatoes and mozzarella.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Well, when I said they were "loosely" based on the Les Halles recipe, I truly mean "loosely"! The next time I make them I will write down what I put in the braising liquid and post the results. They kind of change everytime.

:smile:

Thanks, Peppyre. I look forward to that.

Elie, as usual, everything looks wonderful. Can you give me some details on your crock pot beans, tomatoes, and pork? Did you not soak the beans first and use enough liquid for them to fully cook in the crock pot? I've been wanting to try that method of cooking beans.

Thanks, Peppyre.  I look forward to that.

Elie, as usual, everything looks wonderful.  Can you give me some details on your crock pot beans, tomatoes, and pork?  Did you not soak the beans first and use enough liquid for them to fully cook in the crock pot?  I've been wanting to try that method of cooking beans.

Susan-

I cook beans like that all the time, I use different ingredients for different flavor. This one was sort of Italian flavored, hence the large can of San Marzano tomatoes. I also had lots of garlic, onions, dried oregano, and dried basil. The pork was some raw spare rib trimmings I had in the freezer from a bbq I had a while back. I did soak the beans this time and I added enough water to cover by no more than 1/3 of an inch in the crockpot, you need much less liquid when you cook in those things.

I have also made beans without soaking. The problem here lies in estimating how much liquid you need since the dry beans soak up more water. Another tip to is to "flavor" with aromatics (garlic, onions, herbs, spices) liberally as the crockpot seems to make flavors a little bland. Also I almost always add a fresh ingredient to the pot when I get home to liven up the flavor, something like and herb, chopped green onions, lemon or lime juice, or like in this case fresh Italian parsley. There is nothing like coming home to a cooked dinner when you have a hungry 2 year old with you :smile:.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Mushroom barley soup with thyme-gouda toasts:

gallery_21505_358_39663.jpg

the soup was made with fresh portobella's and chestnut mushrooms, and dried porcini and dried shii takes.

A splash of Marsala to finish. Gooood..

for dessert, little savarins soaked in orange liqueur. I got these cute little savarin molds as a present yesterday and I just had to use them immediately.. :smile:

gallery_21505_358_55264.jpg

Catching up from being out of town for a week....

Monday - Duck breast salad with black truffle vinaigrette

gallery_21049_162_57033.jpg

The left over duck fat tempted me to crack an egg in it and I decided to pop a banger in the pan as well.

gallery_21049_162_59008.jpg

Tuesday - Pan seared scallops with mushroom and truffle polenta, with a side of snap peas, cherry tomatoes and leeks.

gallery_21049_162_25026.jpg

Dessert - Fresh strawberries with 25 yr balsamico

gallery_21049_162_327065.jpg

Cheers

Percy

Edited by percyn (log)

Juicy pink roast rack of lamb from the fabulous Ginger Pig butchers, the first Jersey Royals (a fortnight early!), sweet mini carrots and buttered curly kale, with a lovely marsala and pan juices gravy.

Fried wontons with a warm lobster and crab quenelle and coriander oil.

Monkfish and kombu broth with ocean perch and shrimp.

Fried Chinese long beans with gomasio (toasted sesame salt).

Salad of pacific clams with two kinds of sliced tofu, kimchi, and slivered scallions.

Green noodle maki (nori sushi rolls, the inside of the nori painted with abalone sauce) with two dipping sauces (shoyu and roasted chile; tamarind and lime).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Burgers from anorganic butcher, cooked in a cast iron skillet sprinkled with a ton of kosher salt. Topped with Smithfield bacon and aged white cheddar. Onion rings. Cheap red wine. Good times. :smile:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Today's warm spring weather had me craving something light and green for dinner.

gallery_18820_1_90193.jpg

Oriental salad made with chopped sui choy and green onions tossed with a butter-toasted mixture of crushed ramen noodles, slivered almonds and sesame seeds. Dressing was oil, soy sauce, cane vinegar and sugar. For the requisite shot of protein, I did a cheater quick-cook riff on chicken adobo by simmering some sliced chicken breast in cane vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha, garlic and bay leaf.

Of course, any healthy effects from the salad were immediately negated by the slice of mango-peach pie I had for dessert. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

What else?

Corned Beef & Cabbage in Ale. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

My local supermarket was (gasp!) out of regular cabbage, so rather than search the city, I bought Chinese cabbage... then continued with the Asian twist by serving the dish with Wasabi Mustard. The leftovers will make nice sandwiches.

gallery_27586_1_181531.jpg

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs