• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

susan - such a cool story... librarians come through again!!!!

dinner tonight is ready to go at 6:15, the time john is supposed to get home. last night when i finally got home i made another set of chicken and sausage gumbo. unfortunately the local shoprite hasn't had any andouille but they did have emeril's "kicked up " sausage on sale and i did have coupons. so gumbo with rice (and pickled okra for me) and a mixed salad. negra modelo beer to go with it.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Last night was whats in the fridge night

not a bad job of it though....2 packs of Soba noodles with seasoning packet, chunk of the tail end of a filet mignon chunk of pork butt both sliced thin seared with garlic dried chiles and sesame seeds

boiled edamame and broccoli, mostly stems, splash of white wine soy and sesame oil

toss in the heated noodles and seasoning packet......Now if I can only do it again someday :blink:

I was surprised the soba seasoning packet wasnt too salty

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

My wife doesn't really like sausages of any sort, so since she is out of town I took advantage and used some turkey Italian sausage I had in the freezer and made Sausage Parmesan. On Monday I made a big batch of Batali's basic tomato sauce. I added just a little mozzarella and broiled it for a bit. Served with angel hair pasta.

gallery_7851_477_57736.jpg

Bill Russell

Tonight's dinner was some sushi and sashimi at my regular sushi hangout, but a few days ago I made this:

Goan Crab Curry w/brown basmati rice

gallery_21049_162_43209.jpg

I have to ask about this dish. It looks like the crab is still in the shell. I know some people make curries with shellfish still in shell, or with chicken/fish still in the bone, but then how do you eat the result? Getting meat out of a shell or or off of the bone seems to require finger action, but any sauce seems counter-productive to this.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Tonight's dinner was some sushi and sashimi at my regular sushi hangout, but a few days ago I made this:

Goan Crab Curry w/brown basmati rice

I have to ask about this dish. It looks like the crab is still in the shell. I know some people make curries with shellfish still in shell, or with chicken/fish still in the bone, but then how do you eat the result? Getting meat out of a shell or or off of the bone seems to require finger action, but any sauce seems counter-productive to this.

Its not very pretty...but God given utensils (your hands) are the best way to enjoy this dish...kinda like cracking boiled lobster shells. Once you get used to it, it is not that messy.

Paula Wolfert recipes:

Orange and black olive salad:

gallery_17531_173_9013.jpg

Couscous with chicken:

gallery_17531_173_28401.jpg

Yep, there's a chicken buried in there. First stewed, then brushed with honey and blasted in a hot oven to brown. Onion glaze with raisin, almond, saffron etc poured over. This recipe alone is worth the price of the book.

Don't read this thread when you're hungry. It makes you crave crab curry, oranges & olives, sausages, gingerbread pudding and risotto all at the same time. :biggrin:

Susan what a wonderful story. A great reminder that food is always about more than just the edible stuff on your plate: it's history, love, nostalgia and hope (and more).

Tonight, the inlaws were coming over after attending a local party at a friends house, so we decided to shop in the Arthur Avenue section of the Bronx for some stuff to serve as antipasto:

gallery_2_866_14682.jpg

Pizza bread from Madonia Bakery

gallery_2_866_66786.jpg

Tomato and Basil from the Produce section of the Arthur Ave Retail Market

gallery_2_866_45561.jpg

Marinated Artichokes from Mike's Deli

gallery_2_866_58926.jpg

Various Antipasti, clockwise from top left: (from Mike's Deli:) Stuffed Cherry Peppers, a spicy sausage spread, marinated mushrooms, assorted olives, pickled beets (I made those), provalone cheese (Teitel Bros), gorgonzola cheese (TB), aged provalone (MD), basket cheese (MD), some soft creamy cheese that I don't know the name of (MD), there's those artichokes again.

gallery_2_866_54949.jpg

Closeup of the spicy sausage spread, it was out for tasting at Mike's. It was so spicy, Jason was the only one who liked it!

gallery_2_866_399.jpg

Fried buccatini (mozzarella balls), with some of my tomato sauce.

gallery_2_866_15393.jpg

The buccatini were wrapped in prociutto then breaded and fried. Reheated easily in the toaster oven.

gallery_2_866_324675.jpg

I bought Littleneck Clams at Randazzo's Seafood, made a filling with hot and sweet Italian sausage from Peter's Meat Market, bread crumbs from Addeo Bakery, and fresh oregano from the Produce Guy at the Arthur Ave Retail Market (and some dried oregano and olive oil from my pantry). I steamed the clams open, then removed half the shell. Topped with the precooked sausage mixture, it waited while we started in on the antipasti, then I broiled for two minutes and served immediately with lemon wedges.

Captions/Commentary by Rachel Perlow

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

They were surprisingly good for imported vine-ripened tomatoes. Certainly way better than you could get from most parts of the US during the winter!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Was planning to make some mechoui tonight but there were no appropriate lamb cuts in my grocery - instead got couple of perfect monkfish tails (filleted).

Marinated them in charmoula (sans lemon juice) for several hours, then wiped the marinade from one of tail sides and tied them together (thick end to thin end for even hight) stuffing all charmoula inside, dredged the tied roast in some flour and browned on all sides. A splash of riesling and then roasted in hot oven.

Made a quick sauce of pan juices and creme fraiche.

Served to a morrocan salad of grilled egglant sprinkled with turkish biber pepper.

Warm pitas.

Edited by helenas (log)

They were surprisingly good for imported vine-ripened tomatoes. Certainly way better than you could get from most parts of the US during the winter!

It's funny how just seeing a nice looking tomato in February can get the pulse racing.

Bill Russell

We had company over for Sunday lunch after church so dinner will be fast and easy:

Old fashioned macaroni salad with a mayo and sour cream dressing, red onion, celery, cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber and dill pickle, and tuna.

With a loaf of crusty bread and butter.

Vanilla Bean/Sour Cream pound cake, with vanilla glaze. From the lastest issue of Fine Cooking magazine. Every recipe we've tried from that mag has been good and this is no exception.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

we are about 20 minutes away from dinner.

yellow rice with black beans

shrimp with green herbs

mango avacado salsa

john thinks he will go for a beer with this - i'm leaning towards unsweetened iced tea. the champagne for later and the oscars.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Great looking food, all... especially that tomato and basil photo Jason!

Most of our weekend food was eaten out or called in. Friday started with an appetizer of ribs in a local restaurant's bar at happy hour and then we cooked duck confit (store-bought), balsamic-roasted potatoes, and peas at home. Yesterday we went to Melbourne, FL to Russ's sister's. We went out to dinner last night and she cooked breakfast this morning. On the way home today, we stopped at a brew pub and had beer and appetizers for lunch, and tonight at home was pizza delivery.

Might edit later for photos, depending on how they look and the time factor. I hope everybody has a good time watching the Oscars and whatever food and drink you're enjoying with it! I'll probably be viewing it Sideways from the couch, so I expect I might fall asleep before it's over. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

We spent the day making lots of different doughs and baking. Dinner was lentil stew with sausage (it ain't pretty but it was good!) with cheddar, thyme twist rolls and a green salad of spinach, butter lettuce, cucumber, roma tomato, daikon radish and scallions. balsamic vinaigrette.

gallery_16100_1_95235.jpg

Getting ready to make dessert- apples sauteed in butter, sugar calvados and cinnamon over vanilla ice cream.

I went to Granville Island Market today and picked up a few things. For dinner tonight I had a halibut filet, baked with just a bit of salt & pepper, and some fresh spaghetti tossed with garlic sautéed in olive oil, nicoise olives, chopped roma tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, freshly grated Romano and a bit of fresh basil.

Yum.

And now I'm baking lemon-pistachio biscotti for a late dessert/snack.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Made a potato/spinach curry, recipe from Madhur Jaffrey's "World of the East Vegetarian Cooking" ... mainly because the recent thread on lamb curry elsewhere on the board got my curry-making juices flowing, but I was feeling too lazy to go out shopping for some decent lamb. Mmmmm ... carbs ... :biggrin:

Hmmmn... stopped at two Japanese markets yesterday to pick up desserts for Girls' Day (which is March 3rd). GirlsDayMochi.jpg

Also bought a nice piece of fresh hamachi (yellowtail), which I sashimi-ed and served for dinner last night, along with fresh shiso leaves, an assortment of Japanese pickles, and rice. Dessert was some of the Japanese pastries (who can wait?).

Made Japanese food again for dinner tonight: oden (fishcake stew), made from a frozen "oden set" gussied up with more seasonings and hot mustard. I also added a good handful of frozen soybeans (out of their pods). Served that with fresh kabocha (Japanese pumpkin), which was sweet enough that I just microwaved it.

Spurred on by joining eGullet, I've concluded that I've gotten into a rut and it's time to go through my hundreds of cookbooks and start cooking new dishes I've never tried. I'm planning to devote a week to each cuisine, starting with my collection of Mediterranean cookbooks. :wub:

Tomorrow, afelia , a Cypriot stew of pork seasoned with crushed coriander seeds. If there's time, I'll bake my own bread.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Spurred on by joining eGullet, I've concluded that I've gotten into a rut and it's time to go through my hundreds of cookbooks and start cooking new dishes I've never tried. I'm planning to devote a week to each cuisine, starting with my collection of Mediterranean cookbooks.  :wub:

there's nothing like joining EGullet for getting you out of your cooking rut!

looking forward to your meals, please report back!