• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

I made dinner for myself (wife's out of town this week) with things hanging in my refrigerator. I bought an AllClad non-stick pan this weekend so of course, I had to make an omelette. Used the leftover mushrooms and onions from my burgers on Sunday and a simdge of goat cheese. Served with a spinach salad with a mustard vinagrette and a little bacon.

gallery_7851_477_107720.jpg

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Ooh, ejebud, that looks gorgeous! How did it taste?

The ingredients speak for themselves! What could be bad? the chickpeas were cooked in little water that I enhanced with some dried apricots, an onion studded with cloves, and a few scallions. i added them to the claypot while still quite al dente. I made several slits in the pork loin and inserted slivers of garlic and then made a pesto of Cilantro, Mint, fresh Oregano, Almonds,garlic, shallots, EVOO,lemon juice and sea salt. I coated the pork with it, layed it ontop of the chickpeas, added some Kalamata Olives and lemon slices, and some of the liquid from cooking the chickpeas. 425 for 2 hours and VOILA!! It rocked!! The chickpeas were firm and the pork was moist.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

ejebud, I am sure that tasted and smelled as good as it looks, great job!

Last night we had pannang curry with beef served with steamed rice.

For dessert, Homemade lichee(sp?) ice cream. This really was supposed to be served with shortcakes but I did not get to making those so we ended up just having a large scoop of the wonderful fragrant stuff in a bowl.

gallery_5404_94_80672.jpg

Elie

edit to add, this is a picture of the curry not the ice cream :rolleyes:

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

ejebud, I am sure that tasted and smelled as good as it looks, great job!

Last night we had pannang curry with beef served with steamed rice.

For dessert, Homemade lichee(sp?) ice cream. This really was supposed to be served with shortcakes but I did not get to making those so we ended up just having a large scoop of the wonderful fragrant stuff in a bowl.

gallery_5404_94_80672.jpg

Elie

edit to add, this is a picture of the curry not the ice cream  :rolleyes:

Haha.. i was wondering how you were going to get that ice cream into a cone..

I made grilled beef with pepper leaves (bo nuong la lot) to serve over rice with fried egg and dipping fish sauce for dinner.

guppymo, looks beautiful. Where do you get pepper leaves or did you use sesame leaves? I made a similar dish once using grape leaves as a substitution as was suggested by a recipe.

Holy smokes pcarpen... outstanding photo! I'm sure that it tasted just as delicious as it looks. Do you ship to Vancouver? :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Sometimes comfort food is where it's at. Watching the snow fall yesterday, with my family away, it occurred to me it was the perfect time to make ribs and kraut, since no one really likes it except me.  This sort of a braise, without the braising.  :)

Brown the ribs in the oven, using a roasting pan with a lid, start with a layer of wine saurkraut:

gallery_6080_836_30471.jpg

Then add the ribs:

gallery_6080_836_28601.jpg

And cover with more sauerkraut.  Add the juice from the cans or bottles of sauerkraut.  Put the lid on a bake, low and slow for about 3 hours.

gallery_6080_836_7865.jpg

gallery_6080_836_1756.jpg

These things come out fall off the bone tender, and the sauerkraut is amazing.

gallery_6080_836_57030.jpg

Even better, I've got leftovers for lunch today!

Marlene, that is one of my favorite meals too! I do mine a little differently though - I layer the sauerkraut with very thinly sliced potatoes and carrots, brown pork ribs or chops and place them on top of the sauerkraut and then bake. Wonderful with the juices of the meat roasting into the vegetables.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Last night we had sage lemon stuffed roast chicken with roasted carrots and fignerling potatoes. Tonight chicken paprikash, that was made yesterday to infuse the yummy paprika flavor.... this will be served over buttered egg noodles with toasted brioche (made in school yesterday).

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I roasted my first pork loin today, following some of the suggestions in a recent Egullet thread. I roasted a 3 lb. piece of meat at a low temperature (300 degrees) for about an hour. Tented it with foil, and when sliced, it was a beautifully uniform pink (medium).

Pork was rubbed with s&p, garlic, chopped shallots, curry powder, some olive oil and Maille mustard before going into the oven.

It will be served with roasted sweet potatoes, Chinese "oil" rice (rice and schmaltz), and siu choy.

Inspired by this post, last night's dinner:

Sauerkraut cooked with bacon, onion and caraway seeds

German frankfurters with mustard

sour rye bread

sliced cucumber salad.

Tonight:

Chicken marinated in yogurt, cumin, ground coriander, cayenne, and grated ginger and broiled. Recipe from the latest Martha Stewart Living.

Basmati rice

sauteed spinach

Dessert both nights: The Chewy :wub:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Campbells tomato soup with zucchini sauteed in bacon fat, fresh thyme and red pepper flakes. A pat of butter, black pepper and fresh chives as a garnish.

Grilled cheese sandwich- Tillamook cheddar/jack and Tillamook butter.

Green salad- Romaine, red bell peppers, red onion, broccoli and shredded carrot with Lighthouse blue cheese. I prefer home-made dressing but the gent doesn't seem to.

I am ever so slowly learning to use my wonderful digital camera and have fabulous evening light in my kitchen...pictures soon!! LOVE pictures!! :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

My first contribution to Dinner!

Butternut Risotto with Bacon and Sage:

gallery_15459_855_78346.jpg

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Bun Tom: vietnamese noodles with grilled shrimp, cabbage, greens, pickled onions, herbs, chopped peanuts, and nuoc nam

It is so good to see a dinner post from you again! It seems like a long time, and I've missed your stunning food photography. That looks delicious. I hope this means you're back!

And are those beets under the salmon?

Yes, they are beets, and thank you for asking. I accidently left that part out of the post, and so I edited it to include that the fish was served on top of a beet broth and beets. It was really good.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

STORY TIME

Tonight Russ cooked one of my long-time favorite dinners ever, a specialty of his, sweet and sour pork. Well over twenty years ago, before we were married, he and his brother invited their girlfriends over to Russ's house to have sweet and sour pork for dinner. That would be my best friend and me. The recipe was from Joy of Cooking; but just before it was time to begin dinner preparations, Russ realized that he didn't get custody of the Joy of Cooking book when he and his previous wife divorced. I happened to have gotten custody of Joy of Cooking when my previous husband and I divorced, so he asked me to bring mine along and I did. Well as it turned out, the exact recipe was not in the 1978 printing which I owned. He wanted the recipe familiar to him, with the sweet pickles and sour pickles. So his brother got on the telephone and called the local library. He asked them what editions they had, and asked them to look for the sweet and sour pork recipe with pickles in it. He doodled while they looked, and they found it and read it to him. This is the piece of paper that his brother wrote the recipe on, which we still use today. Literally. :smile:

gallery_13038_837_117712.jpg

gallery_13038_837_115144.jpg

gallery_13038_837_72898.jpg

He usually serves stir-fried vegetables with this and did so tonight, and also made fried rice. It wasn't really fair, but I sneaked up on him and took a picture of his cooking in progress, just before he was getting ready to plate.

It was a delicious and nostalgic dinner.

And we lived happily ever after -- well, most of the time -- but his brother and my best friend split up.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Made yesterday, eaten tonight after slices reheated (very gently) in its own reduced gravy:

Rolled boneless veal shoulder braised in riesling. dried porcinci and a sweated minced shallot. Nothing else but salt and pepper plus butter to blend in with the reduction.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

It is so good to see a dinner post from you again!  It seems like a long time, and I've missed your stunning food photography.  That looks delicious.  I hope this means you're back!

ha! i never really went away! i just went through some camera changes and got stuck in a food rut. now i've gotten used to the D70 and gotten better at dealing with the lighting in our kitchen, so i'm back trying to shoot interesting looking dishes. i'll try to keep posting, and i'll keep them updated on my website (yes, a shameless plug).

here's another.

Risotto with Fresh Ricotta, Lemon, and Mint

DSC_0085.JPG