• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Today - Jumbo shrimp and shumai in Thai broth

gallery_21049_162_32015.jpg

Susan, this one is for you....

This is my take on Chef David Blessing's Crab and Lobster ravioli in Thai broth, expect that I used U 8-10 shrimp and shrimp shumai instead of making the ravioli and no mangoes. The broth turned out well and had a delicate, yet complex flavor.

Yesterday - Almond curry chicken with pickles

gallery_21049_162_5249.jpg

Day before yesterday - Chili two ways

gallery_21049_162_505231.jpg

gallery_21049_162_56880.jpg

gallery_11814_353_10928.jpg

I know, I know -- it looks kinda hokey but it was good! :raz:

garlic-y, old bay'd shrimp

atop butter fried turmeric tofu (wave to Madame Jinmyo)

on a disc of jasmine rice

with sambal bangkok

and rose tea, so many fragrances and aromas, it worked!

eaten sans utensils, just fingers :wub:

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

gallery_11814_353_10928.jpg

I know, I know -- it looks kinda hokey but it was good! :raz:

garlic-y, old bay'd shrimp

atop butter fried turmeric tofu (wave to Madame Jinmyo)

on a disc of jasmine rice

with sambal bangkok

and rose tea, so many fragrances and aromas, it worked!

eaten with no utensils, just fingers  :wub:

Mmmmmmmmmm, spaghetttti! Looks like my kind of fingerfood! :wub::laugh:

Tonight was cream of potato soup in a chicken stock base pureed with carrots and onions, allspice and black pepper, topped with onion confit.

Oven-toasted sandwiches on homemade sourdough rye/cornmeal boule.

gallery_12550_103_58859.jpg

The filling for the sandwiches was Muenster with a hot/sweet mustard I mixed up, and makeover from last night's dinner of shredded pork cooked with sauerkraut, sliced onions and apple, slosh of beer, splash of cider vinegar and brown sugar. Served that with buttered egg noodles tossed with carraway seeds and chopped parsley, a grind of black pepper. Mixed greens and veg salad, vinaigrette.

On Monday we had massaman chicken curry, stir-fried bok choy and some tasty large shrimp/pork-stuffed "eggrolls" a friend dropped by, with lemon and hot pepper (jalapeno? serrano??) dipping sauce. She got these at a local restaurant I've never been to. But I want to go there now!

gallery_12550_103_133912.jpg

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

gallery_18727_742_36930.jpg

Potato and Fontina White Truffle Gratin

My local cheesemonger got in a wheel of aged fontina with slices of truffles inside and I of course, jumped at the oppurtunity. Last night, we had fresh egg pasta in some butter sauce with shaved truffle cheese and tonight, we finished the rest off in a gratin. The truffle aroma infused into the entire dish. Smelled and tasted amazing. I think I'm all truffled out this week.

Braised beef short ribs

This came out a bit too soupy but we were too hungry to care. I had it in the oven on low covered for the first hour but I needed the oven for the gratin so I moved it onto the stove uncovered. In retrospect, uncovering the entire time might have helped punch up the flavour through reduction.

Braised cabbage in some White Wine vinegar

Something to set off the richness of the other two dishes, paired very well when sopping up the sauce from the beef.

PS: I am a guy.

Salad of shaved celery root and onion with crumbled Stilton and a cider vinaigrette.

Celery root soup with Chinese celery garnish.

Braised blade roast with sauce from reduced red wine and vegetable juices on colcannon (Yukon gold mashers with fried onion, cabbage, poblano chiles).

Cheese course of cheddars (one, two, four, six, eight, ten, twelve years) with lavash.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I am planning to serve my Vacherin Mont-d'Or either as part of dinner tonight or tomorrow night. Does anyone know what I should serve with it? The man at the cheese shop suggested dipping boiled potatoes into it.

One more question--are you supposed to eat the mold that's on the side of the cheese? It looks rather scary....

I am planning to serve my Vacherin Mont-d'Or either as part of dinner tonight or tomorrow night. Does anyone know what I should serve with it? The man at the cheese shop suggested dipping boiled potatoes into it.

One more question--are you supposed to eat the mold that's on the side of the cheese? It looks rather scary....

I hadn't heard of that cheese so I just googled it, came up with this interesting info

Vacherin Mont-d'Or

My first dinner post!

I had Vietnamese summer rolls, my first real venture into Asian cooking- er- rolling, as they weren't cooked at all. Served with a delicious peanut sauce.

Cold and rainy day today, I should have made soup...but I was craving cold and crunchy.

Dinner tonight was Julia Child's souffle fromage! this is the first time we have attempted one!

gallery_16100_1_4510.jpg

We served it with a nice green salad, some bread with roasted garlic in it and a chardonnay/viognier blend (could have done better on the wine match). It came down a bit at the table but still looked great IMO!

gallery_16100_1_6771.jpg

Beautiful Souffle!

My own supper was a cream of carrott soup, with enough ginger to give it a little kick, and risotto with asperges, red onion, red pepper (all grilled), with italian sausage, feta cheese. for dessert, we made my sugar-pie's mom's carrott cake recipe, with decadent cream cheese icing. I had a ton of carrots we had to use.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

bratwurst, braised red cabbage, recipe here and if I get a move on there will be mashed potatoes and a banana coconut loaf cake for pudding.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Roasted carrot bisque with a poached quail egg and roasted red chile oil drizzle, some slivered scallions.

Petit pois, sugar snap peas, haricot verts topped with salmon roe.

A large ravioli with bacon and leeks and a cream sauce with porcini and shredded oyster mushrooms.

Slices of seared hamsteak with a square of pomme Dauphinoise with thyme garnish.

Rounds of chorizo on parmesan tuiles topped with warm chevre for cheese course.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Wow, Wendy, that souffle is a thing of beauty. :wub: I've never made one, but now you've got me thinking about doing one.

Dinner last night was:

Bison sirloin - marinated with pinot noir, olive oil, fresh thyme, garlic, dijon and sumac, then seared in cast iron and finished in oven till nicely red and juicy. Used marinade to degalze pan and poured it over slices--this was the tenderest bison steak I've ever made - not sure if it was because of longer marinade or just the meat itself :hmmm:

Lentils de puy, ala Jacques Pepin, dressed with dijon mustard, olive oil, garlic and a bit of tobascco.

Ruby chard sauteed and braised with olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper and smoked spanish pimenton.

Served with 2003 Zigzag Pinot Noir, which wasn't that great, oh well.....

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Wow, Wendy, that souffle is a thing of beauty.  :wub: 

It IS, Wendy! Inspirational, you should be proud. I've made only dessert souffles, and after seeing that I'm in the mood for savory.

And I like the questions you asked of Jinmyo.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Bison sirloin - marinated with pinot noir, olive oil, fresh thyme, garlic, dijon and sumac, then seared in cast iron and finished in oven till nicely red and juicy. Used marinade to degalze pan and poured it over slices--this was the tenderest bison steak I've ever made - not sure if it was because of longer marinade or just the meat itself.

You should take the credit. :biggrin: However, it would be nice if it was the cut of bison because I have an opportunity for some bison sirloin and I would like it to turn out as you described. Still, if I buy it, I'll marinate it as you did. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

You should take the credit.  :biggrin:  However, it would be nice if it was the cut of bison because I have an opportunity for some bison sirloin and I would like it to turn out as you described.  Still, if I buy it, I'll marinate it as you did.  :smile:

I'd love to hear how yours turns out, as I've had mixed results with bison. I really like the flavor, though, it's just a bit chewy sometimes. Oddly enough, I've had better results with the sirloin cut than with the "New York" cut. Not sure why.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

A large ravioli with bacon and leeks and a cream sauce with porcini and shredded oyster mushrooms.

Dear God. Bacon, porcini and oyster mushrooms. Heaven. :wub:

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Jin, that might be my favorite menu of yours so far!!!

I was wondering if you come up with all the menus yourself or if there is a team? Also how far in advace can you/do you set your menus?

I hope that isn't too nosey of me?

Not at all.

There's a team (two accomplices, most days) to do the deed but menu is mine.

Menus are planned and abandoned at will. It really depends upon requests, available ingredients, themes that occur based on these and so on.

So I might know what will happen on Tuesday on Sunday but Monday will not be what I thought would happen on Sunday evening at all.

edit:

Looking up, yes, bacon, porcini and mushrooms are proof that there is a heaven and it is edible.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)