• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Chickpeas with slow-cooked onions, spices, and spinach, topped with homemade yogurt.

Cooked the onions to brown browner brownest, with occasional splashes of water near the end of the procedure, added spices (cumin, coriander, cloves, fresh ginger, cayenne) and cooked a little more, added the (cooked) chickpeas and water and stewed for a bit, then stirred in the chopped parboiled spinach and heated through. Very good.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I've been posting about my dinners for the last few weeks on the Weight Watchers thread, but I thought I would start adding my measly offerings over here as well.

Tonight was Tandoori Salmon (on the grill seeing as how I don't have an actual tandoor handy) and green beans cooked with the reserved salmon marinade.

I don't recommend the bean preparation - it tasted OK, but kinda strange.

Anyway, here's a pic.

gallery_7851_477_1106796535.jpg

Bill Russell

Tonight was Tandoori Salmon (on the grill seeing as how I don't have an actual tandoor handy) and green beans cooked with the reserved salmon marinade. 

How was the salmon?

I got home from a tiring day at work and just wasn't inspired to cook. I threw a few slices of a peppered sausage onto a plate next to a few different Spanish cheeses (manchego and cabrales), mustard, pan-fried polenta, and some crackers. After a shot of ouzo and a few glasses of wine, I had a cigar while listening to American roots music on a local radio station. Strangely, it was one of the most enjoyable dinners I've had in quite a while.

Braised pork roast with onion, crimini mushrooms and rosemary. The liquid was homemade beef stock and a basic bordoux wine. A neighbor came over to ask what we were cooking...it filled the house (and apparently the neighborhood) with an absolutely wonderful aroma. The sauce was very rich and silky. Man, this turned out good. This is right before putting in oven. Sorry, didn't take any pics when cooked. Had as sides, steamed asparagus and roasted potatoes with red peppers.

gallery_22252_1_1106806571.jpg

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

How was the salmon?

The salmon was pretty good - I left it on the grill a few minuted too long. To the touch it felt like it wasn't cooking through, but when I took it off it was a little dry. I wish I had some of the raita that I had originally planned on making.

Bill Russell

Salad of radicchio, Belgian endives, and radish greens.

Collard greens and mushrooms braised in port with deep-fried tofu.

Baked polenta rounds with a tomato and ground lamb sauce, mozzarella. parmesan, and panko.

Baby back ribs with fennel and onion slaw.

Cheese course (assorted goat cheeses) with crostini.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

mmm! i love braised greens!

last night i larbed some left over flank steak. stretched the measly meat portion with a roasted portobello mushroom. (btw - can anyone tell me if it's portobello, portabella or portabello? google and dictionary.com are less than helpful).

served the super spicy larb with lots of lettuce and a side of brown bread, and sliced manchego and red pear. red table wine.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Jinmyo - your menu sounds delicious - especially those baby back ribs! My mouth is watering....

Last night I seared chicken breasts, then finished them in the oven. Sauce was pan bits, shallot, oyster, shittake, and cremini mushrooms, white wine, and cream.

Roasted red potatoes with herbes de provence

mixed greens, vinaigrette.

Napa Ridge 2002 Pinot Noir.

Dessert? a fudge brownie with walnuts. :rolleyes: it was soooo goood.

Tuesday night I rescued some garden tomatoes from the freezer for a diablo red sauce with mushrooms, garlic, onion, lots of dried lemon basil from the herb garden, a splash of basalmic. Served with roasted cauliflower and ciabatta a la BBA (pain a l'ancienne -- Reinhart's suggestion, double-proofed it bakes up as ciabatta).

gallery_12550_103_188786.jpg

Last night, grilled lemon pepper/Cajun spiced chicken legs, and buttered bakers with sharp cheddar and a parsley/dill sour cream and yogurt dressing, fresh ground pepper. Mixed greens and veg salad in a vinaigrette with chopped egg and crumbled bleu.

gallery_12550_103_356732.jpg

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I was so excited this week. I was browsing through a small Vietnamese market in Seattle and found what's known in Costa Rica as culantro. The family I stayed with put it in their black beans and it has this amazing, cilantro-like, but more intense flavor. The Vietnamese call it ngo gai or saw-leaf herb. I've never been able to find this in the US before--guess I was looking in the wrong ethnic market!

So, I hurried home and put on a pot black beans with onions, garlic, the culantro, red pepper flakes and some fresh oregano. Finished it off with salt, more culantro and some sauteed chopped onions and garlic. Simmered till all was lovely, black, tender beaniness.

Served them with white rice; flank steak marinated in garlic, wine and oregano; my own variation on chimichurri sauce; and cabbage salad with pickled onions, cilantro, red peppers, hearts of palm and lime juice.

The beans were so good that the next night we had the same thing, but with roasted, marinated chicken thighs. I'm a happy camper with my culantro!

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Octaveman, that is one beautiful looking pot o' food.

Last night again in Urbana, I had lamb biryani at a little indian place. the guy there asked me if my name is indian (it is arabic) and then promised next time I come in he would make me "special" Biryani. What this means I am not sure...

Tonight I used defrosted P. Reinhardt pizza dough and leftover canned tomatos to make pizzas. With some prociutto and buffalo mozzarella I bought on the way home. Forgot to take a pic though.

Great for reasonably fast food but I am looking forward to a few nice long cooking sessions after this week is over!

Lovebenton,

Tuesday nights dinner looks awesome.. Thats really cool that the majority of the food is either from scratch or your garden.. Very impressive, its like you are living in a kabutz over there. :biggrin:

Last night: Roasted chicken leg quarters liberally coated with salt, pepper, dried thyme, dried oregano, and basted with fresh lemon juice. Served with roasted potatoes coated with a little worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper (before roastng) and belgian endive simmered in chicken broth with diced ginger (first time, very tasty, saw some belgian endive in the store that looked like it hadn't been there since Christmas).

Also took a left over frozen country ham bone from the holidays and cut off the bits of meat and fat and fried them until crisp and removed the grisly stuff. Then sauteed diced onion and celery, added a can of diced tomatoes, and a pound of soaked dried balck eyed peas. Simmered the stuff for a couple hours with the ham bone and bay leaves. Removed the bone and bay leaves and put the peas in a glass bowl in the fridge for consumption over the weekend. They get better with a little age.

Tiny salad of mesclun with aioli on large shrimp chips.

U10 grilled shrimp with a tomto water, tomato concasse, lime zest, and chile dipping sauce.

Baked potato halves scooped and restuffed with mashers with a shrimp and lobster cream incorporated, topped with a few sprigs of dill.

Monkfish medallions (poached in butter) with haricot verts and roasted lemon sauce.

Deep-fried shrimp heads and legs in a baby watercress salad.

Cheese course (sheep's milk cheeses) with toast points.

edit:

Oops, spaghetttti. Ha ha.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Lovebenton, that food is looking great . . . you must have a nice broiler because you always get really crunchity browning on your foods. Check the roasted cauliflower!

Noise is music. All else is food.

Tiny salad of mesclun with aioli on large shrimp chips.

U10 grilled shrimp with a tomto water, tomato concasse, lime zest, and chile dipping sauce.

Baked potato halves scooped and restuffed with mashers with a shrimp and lobster cream incorporated, topped with a few sprigs of dill.

Monkfish medallions (poached in butter) with haricot verts and roasted lemon sauce.

Deep-fried shrimp heads and legs in a baby watercress salad.

Cheese course (sheep's milk cheeses) with toast points.

edit:

Oops, spaghetttti. Ha ha.

this menu actually turns me on.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

johnnybird's plane landed at newark at 1:43. there's an accident on rt. 80 near the mall. guess he'll be walking in in about 20 minutes and, knowing him, will hit the house and say he's hungry. luckily while cooking tomorrow night's dinner and baking him more tea breads i prepped everything for tonight.

jasmine rice

sweet and sour shrimp and chicken (with red and green peppers, onions, garlic, water chestnuts, carrots and enoki)

oven roasted broccoli

have a bottle of this weeks WOW a 2002 Tribach reisling chilling though i have been craving green tea :shock:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites