• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Yes, really, Jin, please do continue. As a mostly lurker here, I can say that even I look forward to the posts.

Last night I made a pizza I made a few weeks ago... normally I try far too hard not to make something I've made recently, but Jim Harrison points out in his book The Raw and the Cooked that it's an overly difficult, senseless enterprise. :wacko: The pizza: garlic & oil base, sun-dried tomato and red onion "sauce", prosciutto, mozz and fontina and basil.

gallery_21148_443_1106329253.jpg

A little snack from the other day (yogurt cheese & sun-dried tomato):

gallery_21148_443_1106329296.jpg

jrt, both are lovely (though I prefer a bit more caramelization on cheeses). The yogurt ball (labneh?) looks gorgeous.

Yes, spinning a log of dough fior the green scallion pancakes.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

So between posts 8346 and 8359 I have gone from sadness to anger to relief. Add me to the list of posters who are love reading your posts in this thread Jinmyo.

Back OT:

Dinner last night was my wifes famous Chicken-Corn-Cheddar Chowder, served while peppyre & I were confit-ing duck. I suppose we can add some of the crackling to that menu too. peppyre will have to help me with the wine ... some Aussie Grenache that was recommended to us ... meh.

A.

So between posts 8346 and 8359 I have gone from sadness to anger to relief.  Add me to the list of posters who are love reading your posts in this thread Jinmyo.

Back OT:

Dinner last night was my wifes famous Chicken-Corn-Cheddar Chowder, served while peppyre & I were confit-ing duck.  I suppose we can add some of the crackling to that menu too.  peppyre will have to help me with the wine ... some Aussie Grenache that was recommended to us ... meh.

A.

The chicken-corn-chowder was very tasted and light and healthy, and then of course dessert was duck cracklings. The wine was a 2003 Yalumba "Y" series Grenache and as stated was...meh...nothing spectacular.

Oh and Jinmyo, please keep posting your menus, truly inspirational :smile:

Edited by peppyre (log)

I asked my bf to cook dinner for me last night, since I wasn't going to be home until 8:30pm. He baked two 10 oz. fillets of salmon for us, topped with some lemon zest and salt and pepper. It wasn't too bad, but there were no vegetables and no starch. Just a naked piece of salmon on my plate. :huh:

Jinmyo, my most sincere and heartfelt apologies. I was not in any way trying to be rude or negative about your posts, quite the opposite. I have been reading them for years and have allways enjoyed them. I was trying to pay you a back-handed compliment for such elaborate preps. Lets try again. WT

Jinmyo,  my most sincere and heartfelt apologies.  I was not in any way trying to be rude or negative about your posts, quite the opposite.  I have been reading them for years and have allways enjoyed them.  I was trying to pay you a back-handed compliment for such elaborate preps.  Lets try again.  WT

Excellent, all is well in the world again.

Now back to cooking people!! :raz:

Jinmyo,  my most sincere and heartfelt apologies.  I was not in any way trying to be rude or negative about your posts, quite the opposite.  I have been reading them for years and have allways enjoyed them.  I was trying to pay you a back-handed compliment for such elaborate preps.  Lets try again.  WT

Hi WT,

All right, no problem.

It's just I've had some very weird stuff happen over this thread.

Please post your own dinners.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

But, seriously, I've gotten some bizarre PMs over the years here including a death-threat from some kind of hamburger-helper-hausfrau. Please, layoff with that nutso stuff.

Was it from Sandra Lee :raz: ???? Glad you are still on board Jin.

Last night a simple dinner of:

Home-cured thin sliced spicy Basterma (Armenian-style cured beef)

Hard cooked eggs

Homemade multigrain bread

salad of celery and other greens in vinaigrette

Bannana's foster for dessert

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Jinmyo,  my most sincere and heartfelt apologies...

Excellent, all is well in the world again.

Now back to cooking people!! :raz:

Agreed.

Appreciation for your apology, Flapjack. :smile:

Tonight we had happy hours, with unremarkable food.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Enchiladas and tostadas. I confess, not homemade but take away from a tiny little hole in the wall Mexican place as I am NOT up to cooking tonight. The wine at dinner last night turned in to multiple bottles........ :blink: ....can't even FIND the kitchen today.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I also love your posts, Jinmyo. They always get me thinking about food combinations I wouldn't usually try. Thanks!

SeaGuy had knee surgery today to repair a torn meniscus, so, tasty, easy to digest, comfort food is in order for tonight:

Asstd olives

Spaghetti all'amatriciana - no bucatini at Whole Paycheck--drat :angry:

Salad of romaine w/ hearts of palm and sherry vinagrette

Wine: Marques de Carceres for me

Oxycodon, Vintage 2005 for husband and leg :wacko:

Jan

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

The wine at dinner last night turned in to multiple bottles........ :blink: ....can't even FIND the kitchen today.

Offtopic: one of my favorite things about drinking after dinner is when it goes a bit long and the kitchen ends up looking like only a kitchen drunk people were in can look.

Tonight and last night were the same:

Turkey club, on flax bread, with ham, bacon, tomato, lettuce, onion, mayo and mustard, still very tasty. I am on a West Wing inspired food kick.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Now back to cooking people!!

dubious.gif

Having soylent green for dinner, are we?

:raz:

* AB drinks one of those "Guiness Pub Draught" beers, with the nitrogen cannister in the bottom of the can.

* AB wonders what Budweiser would taste like with one of those...

<AB> . o O (Like shit, still, I should think.)

Tonight, for dinner, I tried to get creative and worked without a net (read: without a cookbook). Such a feat may be routine for the rest of you, but it's new territory for me.

I decided we'd have chicken fajitas for dinner.

The only chicken meat we have in the house (aside from pre-breaded microwave stuff) was some frozen split chicken breasts. So they needed to be deboned.

Have I mentioned that I've never deboned anything in my life?

I asked my foodie friend "Got any tips for deboning a chicken?" His response: "Cut out the hard bits."

With that in mind, I thawed the chicken and set to work with a freshly honed paring knife (the smallest sharp knife I own). And...it wasn't too bad. I got most of the meat off the bone without too much in the way of mangling it, and since I was gonna slice it up anyways for fajita meat, that wasn't an issue in any case.

Once I had the meat sliced, I marinated it in meyer lemon juice.

I marinated it for Quite Some Time.

It occurred to me eventually that what I really had, in fact, was the beginning stages of Chicken Ceviche. So I quickly dumped the chicken into a skillet along with some onions, and sauteéd 'em until the onions were loose and lightly browned and the chicken meat was done.

The chicken had a VERY strong lemon flavor. Note to self: Next time, just add the lemon juice in small quantities near the end of the sauteé.

But enough picanté sauce will cover up just about anything, so dinner was alright eventually.

We live and learn.

* AB drinks one of those "Guiness Pub Draught" beers, with the nitrogen cannister in the bottom of the can.

Tonight, for dinner, I tried to get creative and worked without a net (read: without a cookbook).  Such a feat may be routine for the rest of you, but it's new territory for me.

I decided we'd have chicken fajitas for dinner.

The only chicken meat we have in the house (aside from pre-breaded microwave stuff) was some frozen split chicken breasts.  So they needed to be deboned.

Have I mentioned that I've never deboned anything in my life?

I asked my foodie friend "Got any tips for deboning a chicken?"  His response:  "Cut out the hard bits."

With that in mind, I thawed the chicken and set to work with a freshly honed paring knife (the smallest sharp knife I own).  And...it wasn't too bad.  I got most of the meat off the bone without too much in the way of mangling it, and since I was gonna slice it up anyways for fajita meat, that wasn't an issue in any case.

Once I had the meat sliced, I marinated it in meyer lemon juice.

I marinated it for Quite Some Time.

It occurred to me eventually that what I really had, in fact, was the beginning stages of Chicken Ceviche.  So I quickly dumped the chicken into a skillet along with some onions, and sauteéd 'em until the onions were loose and lightly browned and the chicken meat was done.

The chicken had a VERY strong lemon flavor.  Note to self: Next time, just add the lemon juice in small quantities near the end of the sauteé.

But enough picanté sauce will cover up just about anything, so dinner was alright eventually.

We live and learn.

Live and learn indeed! May I suggest mixing the lemon juice with olive oil/avocado oil/veg. oil before marinating next time and perhaps add some oregano. This will cut the strong lemon flavour. Glad to hear you're enjoying your experiments! :biggrin:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

With that in mind, I thawed the chicken and set to work with a freshly honed paring knife (the smallest sharp knife I own).  And...it wasn't too bad.  I got most of the meat off the bone without too much in the way of mangling it, and since I was gonna slice it up anyways for fajita meat, that wasn't an issue in any case.

Trust you stuck the bones in a baggie in the freezer for future stock making? Even if I want boned meat, I always buy the bone-in stuff. Don't understand why you would pay more for less and not have all of those bones that are so good for stock.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Trust you stuck the bones in a baggie in the freezer for future stock making?

I did indeed. They're in the freezer next to the baggie of frozen lobster tail shells, for when I make lobster stock... :biggrin:

Edited by Afterburner (log)

Braised chicken with sweet potatoes, fried plantains.

Salad of romaine lettuce with Granny Smith apples, pecans and a blue cheese dressing:

gallery_21505_358_1106427475.jpg

dessert: little lemon surprise puddings (with a custardy layer on the bottom and a cakey layer on top)

gallery_21505_358_1106427536.jpg

dessert: little lemon surprise puddings (with a custardy layer on the bottom and a cakey layer on top)

gallery_21505_358_1106427536.jpg

Hey, I make these too! My single favorite dessert from childhood. But I have been trying to improve upon the family recipe. Have you gotten to the point where you can unmold them so it's cake on the bottom custard on top? Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't. I'm still working on a formula that is lemony enough but comes out solid enough to unmold.

Those lemon puddings look great.

Blizzard canceled my plans for the ballet, so I made tomato and roasted garlic soup and whole wheat-spinach fatayer.

I made some ghoraiybeh (butter cookies) from Claudia Rhoden the other day and they weren't at all right. I'll be eating some tonight and then tossing the rest.