• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Tonight for dinner we made from a bunch of things that were in the fridge or pantry.. We had the flank steak from the satay, had some cheese left over, had some cilantro from thai food, parsley from a bucatini all matrianna from the other night, as well as the pancetta. So we made a chimichurri sauce with flank steak.. Flank steak had a dry rub of cumin, corriander, and salt. Had white rice and black beans.. To the beans we added a shot of curry powder, sugar, sea salt, and the ingrediant that every Baller should have in his fridge.. The Crystal, the hot sauce that is.. :rolleyes: We made a blue cheese dressing with pancetta and chives.. The salad had iceberg, watercrest, and celery..

gallery_15057_181_1106187068.jpg

gallery_15057_181_1106187124.jpg

The mac and cheese was a complete after thought.. Uncalled for. We had cooked ziti.. We added a mixture of cheese from gouda, to the cheedahs,swiss and parmeseans, with a some of the pancetta, added some dijon mustard and some heavy cream.. Made a ritz cracker crust.. It was rather obscene..

gallery_15057_181_1106187194.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

...my first attempt at ROASTED CAULIFLOWER.  OH MY GAWD!!!!! :wub:

Welcome to the bandwagon! It is awesome food, isn't it!

More bold strides forward tonight, both for me as a cook and my wife as a diner.

As I diplomatically try to explain it, my wife has well-defined culinary comfort zones, outside of which she is reluctant to venture.  Usually when I explain it this way, she follows up with "I'm a fussy eater."

And so she is.

Last week, however, she mentioned that she wanted to try to start eating fish, for health reasons.

After I recovered, we discussed what she didn't like about fish, and what she wanted to avoid.  The answer?  "That fishy taste and smell."

Right.

So today I went to Whole Foods and dropped $25 and change on two tuna steaks.

Tonight's menu:

--Pan-grilled tuna steaks, seasoned with salt, freshly ground pepper, and rosemary.

--Fresh green beans sauteéd in butter and salt

--Green salad with red Bibb lettuce, dandelion, and escarole, tossed with a toasted walnut oil and champagne vinegar vinagrette.

--Beer/cheese bread made with Gouden Carolus Ambrio and some chipotle cheddar.

I also tried roasting some garlic, but they got burnt.  We live and learn.

The verdict:  She liked the tuna, and would eat it again.  And there was much rejoicing.  The vinagrette was a little vinegary, however (prolly 'cause I added extra because I thought the toasted walnut oil was a smidge overpowering).

Nice post. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

gallery_13038_576_1106188414.jpg

I don't like the photo, but I managed to get it to load on Russ's computer. This was last night's dinner of chicken thighs with a Greek style lentil salad. I'm ready to throw my computer and my camera out the window and buy new, but my check book is not ready.

gallery_13038_576_1106188391.jpg

Tonight's dinner was London Broil with Cherry-Balsamic Sauce, Potato and Parmesan Cake, and kale with EVOO and garlic.

About the roast beef and broccoli salad I described upthread, I forgot to mention that the dressing was creamy horseradish, and delicious. Here's the recipe.

My wife made dinner tonight, and it was Darned Tasty.

She put a pot roast in the crock pot this AM, around the time I was leaving for work. Along with it she added a bunch of baby carrots, some onion, and some leftover sundried tomatoes she'd used for a dip last week. The roast was, additionally, seasoned with salt, pepper, rosemary, and no telling what else.

When I got home tonight, she had had taken out the roast, some of the carrots, and some of the onions, and put them in a serving dish. And was busy going after the remaining carrots, onions, and sundried tomatos with an immersion blender, right in the crock pot. So the sauce for the roast was the roast juices along with the aforementioned veggies, all in a pureé sort of affair.

Biscuits were also served.

Mmm.

* AB drinks one of those "Guiness Pub Draught" beers, with the nitrogen cannister in the bottom of the can.

* AB wonders what Budweiser would taste like with one of those...

<AB> . o O (Like shit, still, I should think.)

My wife made dinner tonight, and it was Darned Tasty.

Haven't eaten yet, but your dinner sounds amazing! My kind of food!

We'll be sitting down soon to eat some chicken enchiladas, first time making them, hope they turn out well. Wish me luck! :rolleyes:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Afterburner- another thought on the fish and the halibut recommendation- I make halibut with a parmesean crust, she might like something like that!

Susan, I think the photo is great. The colors really pop on that lentil salad. And it just gave me an idea for tonight!!

Wakame and roasted red chile soup with garlic chives and lemongrass with haddock and sole.

Mussels in black bean sauce.

Seared scallops with togarashi and steamed gai lan (Chinese broccoli).

Clams spritzed with lime oil, with kimchi and green scallion pancakes.

Assorted soba-maki with takuan, enoki, edamame, aduki.

Massive shrimp poached in sake and ginger with a demitasse of the sake.

Gohan (Japanese white rice) with peas rolled in wasabi, gomasio.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Come on, do you really eat like that every day?  Is that all you do is cook?

Sigh.

If I don't post, I get PMs asking me to. If I do, I get PMs or, in this case, posts like this.

Ta ever so, folks. It's been a slice.

edit:

Oh, I just mean I'll not post in this thread as this has gone on since the thread began. All of which I have tried to answer, but I just don't have the time oe inclination.

I'll still irritate you elsewhere, in other threads. See you there.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

edit:

Oh, I just mean I'll not post in this thread as this has gone on since the thread began. I'll still irritate you elsewhere, in other threads. See you there.

:sad:

Cooking with a hungry three-year-old as a sous-chef means that prep usually needs to be as simple and expedient as possible, and the descriptions of your meals are oh so wonderful. I, for one, will miss eating vicariously through your posts. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

edit:

Oh, I just mean I'll not post in this thread as this has gone on since the thread began. I'll still irritate you elsewhere, in other threads. See you there.

:sad:

Cooking with a hungry three-year-old as a sous-chef means that prep usually needs to be as simple and expedient as possible, and the descriptions of your meals are oh so wonderful. I, for one, will miss eating vicariously through your posts. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

Nope. You're not alone. What a loss! I tended to google quite a few of her ingredients.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Clams spritzed with lime oil, with kimchi and green scallion pancakes.

This one has me drooling. And, wondering if the scallion pancakes are those kind that are made by spinning a log of dough?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

edit:

Oh, I just mean I'll not post in this thread as this has gone on since the thread began. All of which I have tried to answer, but I just don't have the time oe inclination.

I've been guilty of this in the past. It's just that the food sounds so amazing! Don't forsake us, Jinmyo!

"yes i'm all lit up again"

Sigh.

If I don't post, I get PMs asking me to. If I do, I get PMs or, in this case, posts like this.

edit:

Many of us are huge fans of yours and find your dinner posts an immense source of inspiration. I hope someday to put flavors together like you do, Jinmyo. I really hope that you will reconsider.

For those of you unaware, Jinmyo performs her kitchen magic at what I think she has referred to as a private club.

Sigh.

edit:

Many of us are huge fans of yours and find your dinner posts an immense source of inspiration. I hope someday to put flavors together like you do, Jinmyo. I really hope that you will reconsider.

For those of you unaware, Jinmyo performs her kitchen magic at what I think she has referred to as a private club.

Posts like Flapjackwilly's irritate me because I resent the implication that Jinmyo or anyone else would post something they did not cook or eat.

So I don't blame you for deciding not to post here anymore Jinmyo, but I too hope that you will reconsider. I echo the sentiments expressed by your other fans about your kitchen magic! :smile:

I lurk on this thread more that I post, and Jinmyo's posts are always interesting! please come back....

last night was fairly simple. Farfalle with Brussel Sprouts and Bacon from Weir Cooking in the City by Joanne Weir (I seem to have a very high rate of success from her cookbooks - I've never been disappointed by a recipe.)

I have recently acquired a liking for brussel sprouts and have never had them in pasta - this was delicious, especially with the bacon - are brussels and bacon natural matches? The sauce consisted of leftover bacon fat, butter, and reduced chicken stock. Oh, and toasted hazelnuts. Sprinkled with parmigiano-reggiano cheese. No herbs, no aromatics. The kind of dish where you want bread to mop up the last bits of sauce in the bowl.

Served with an Argyle 2003 Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley. Very good I have to say - lots of cherry flavor, not overly lean, like some Pinots, it had a nice fullness and heft (for a Pinot, I thought).

edit:

Jin, please reconsider. Those of us who read and/or post to this thread often really enjoy and value your posts. (Yeah, I'm fairly confident I can speak for the majority here) It would be a real loss if you do stop posting here. Your posts always get me thinking, usually drooling and are often an inspiration for ideas of my own. Please don't let a careless comment stop you from continuing to post here.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

If you had read the entire thread, you would have answered your own question. It's been previously discussed.

I, along with the others, always enjoy jinmyo's dinner descriptions. They are an inspiration which is the point of this entire Dinner discussion. It is inspiration to the Nth degree of which jinmyo has played a large part with her innovative dishes.

I certainly hope she will return to this discussion and provide a light in the darkness called "What should I make for dinner?"

To go back on topic:

Last night, I had whole wheat spaghetti with a rather tart marinara sauce (I think my Merlot is turning!), paired with a simple green salad with slices of red radishes & daikon (had it on hand) dressed with a nice vinaigrette.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I think your comment is rude.

Jin please don't let someone who is rude take away the information and inspiration you provide those of us who appreciate it. We are on this thread to learn and to gain new insight.

Now about those scallion pancakes.........

Okay, folks. Thanks.

My only purpose for posting here is to hopefully stir something for sonmeone so that they try something they haven't before.

But, seriously, I've gotten some bizarre PMs over the years here including a death-threat from some kind of hamburger-helper-hausfrau. Please, layoff with that nutso stuff.

I used to include this disclaimer or something like it:

"Warning: Professional kitchen, staff of three, menus are served in courses for ten to forty or so guests. Do try this at home."

So:

Roasted whole cremini mushrooms au gratin with a spicy sauce on toast points.

Braised Belgian endives with dill and seared monkfish medallions.

Steamed rapini with butter and roasted tiny plum tomatoes with parmesan shavings.

Tortellini with several cheeses in a parsley and parmesan broth with white beans.

Assorted olives, salumi, and cheeses with bread sticks.