• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Melted Brie on baguette

microgreens with a Dijon-red wine vinegarette

gallery_12371_310_1104887162.jpg

pork chops in a mustard cream sauce

raspberries in whipped cream

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

tonight we had some foie gras on toasted brioche and a glass of sauterne while our dinner cooked. yum!!

Then we made the mushroom soup out of Les Halles, I added a bit of thyme and a drizzle of truffle oil to it. It was ok but not a lot of flavor I though.

gallery_16100_1_1104897885.jpg

Then I tried a new recipe I found for zuchini gratin which was awesome! Did a pan seared filet mignon wrapped in bacon and then made a nice red wine sauce out of some left over Malbac from last night and some onion confit.

gallery_16100_1_1104897903.jpg

the steak was from one of my local butchers and was soooooo tender and tasty.

Served with a Snoqualmie 2001 Reserve Cab (WA)

Now we are having a 'wack it' orange/peppermint chocolate wedge! haha! well how else would you top off foie and filet? :raz:

Inspired by Maggiethecat's soup thread, as well as the chilly (for us!) weather, I made a lentil soup with garlic, onions, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, tomatoes, new potatoes, and lemon (in really good chicken stock). Wilted into the soup (which I puréed partially) went fresh spinach leaves. Served with hot francese bread and butter in wooden bowls.

It hit my winter spot perfectly. Lentils are so friendly.

Wow, what great-looking feasts above.

We had broccoli soup (I snuck in some shredded cabbage and roasted potatoes) and leftover savory palmiers, from New Year's.

Tonight, it's vegetable lasagne...tho' altering my mom's classic lasagne recipe for the first time makes me a little nervous. Will vegetable lasagne incur some kind of ancestral wrath from my Italian side? :blink:

Chicken breasts in a vodka lemon cream sauce, with a little chopped tomato & scallions

Lentil salad a la Mario

Ecce Panis Tuscan bread with lots of organic butter

A cheap Cotes du Rhone

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

so many great dinners!

this was my dinner today - salmon cooked in the oven with parsley and sherry, cornmeal fryingpan cakes topped with creme fraiche mixed with chipotle chillies, leafy salad with chickpeas:

gallery_21505_358_1104953628.jpg

more micro greens (I'm going to turn into a micro green soon)

gallery_12371_310_1104975840.jpg

penne with tomato, black olives and capers

the last of the raspberries and cream :sad:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I am simply in heaven reading the descriptions, and seeing the photographs!

I wish it would get colder here. Oddly enough, we're having a glut of the 70's, when it should be ranging in the 40-50's. :unsure: I am just not sure what to eat these days.

Tonight it was sliders (thank you, Perlows). Tomorrow, we may have to grill something.

In all honesty, I would just like to have a good stew, with some homemade bread. :sad:

We met some friends for margarita's after work so dinner needed to be quick and easy when we got home....

left over twice baked butternut squash became ravioli with frozen wontons, in a brown butter sage sauce with some crumbled sausage.

gallery_16100_1_1104984689.jpg

actually I guess they became tortalini with a healthy grating of parm!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

dry spice rubbed Boston butt, baked at 180 degrees for 6 hours -- fabulous and tender and moist, believe it or not.

roasted fennel

sauteed shredded dinosaur kale with hot peppers and garlic

Sliced pink lady apples for dessert -- acid and sweet, firm, the best apples I have had this year.

Baked salmon with a mustard vinagrette

Roasted fingerling potatoes with garlic and fresh thyme

Broccoli sauteed with garlic and crushed red pepper

Simple food after a busy day.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Anyone else starting to recognize people by their plates before looking to see who's written the post? :laugh:

Last night I made baked ravioli. Usually, when we do ravioli, I just serve it with sauce, but this was Jason's request. I don't think I've ever made baked ravioli before. The combination of less sauce, browned bits of pasta, and gooey cheese on top makes them really delicious. I was very very pleased with the results. Served with a nice tossed salad. Sorry, no picture.

I made larb for the first time!  :biggrin: It was delicious, except I didn't have a food processor, nor the knife skills (and patience) to mince the pork very well.

Ever see "Yan Can Cook" version of a food processor? Just put a cleaver or knife in each hand and chop chop chop away!

I made larb for the first time!  :biggrin: It was delicious, except I didn't have a food processor, nor the knife skills (and patience) to mince the pork very well.

Ever see "Yan Can Cook" version of a food processor? Just put a cleaver or knife in each hand and chop chop chop away!

And if Yan Can Cook, You Can Too!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Five Chinese teas served in gongfu cha style with steeping and pouring vessels etc.

Shaved fennel salad with ngoc mam, lime, and ginger.

U10 shrimp poached in sake with a lime salt dip.

Chrysanthemum soup (beef broth) with cubed semi-firm tofu.

Deep-fried mackerel with black bean with small flour pancakes to wrap, slivered scallions, enoki mushrooms.

Seared huagu (Chinese "flower" mushroom) slices with roasted chiles and shoyu.

Korean black short grain rice; Japanese white short grain rice (gohan) with tarako.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Beef short ribs with soft boiled egg topped with pink Himalayan salt

The salt thing is getting too much for me.

The other night it was taco salads:

blue corn tacos, shredded iceberg, tomatoes, black olives, ground beef with paprika, cumin, oregano, cocoa, topped with cheddar cheese and scallions.

Followed by the last of the homemade French macarons.

Then last night I made:

-edamame (plain, with salt)

-sweet potatoes with cumin seed-orange glaze

(adapted from Patricia Wells and really good)

-seared scallops

had with some of my mixed starter baguette and then dessert was hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows.

beautiful photos all

Last night was pork butt marinated in tequila, lime and orange juices then rubbed with cumin, Mexican oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and ancho chile powder and cooked at 150 for 20 hours resulting in melting pulled pork with fresh corn tortillas, salsa, tomatillo salsa, onions, jalapenos, cilantro and crema. Leftovers for lunch today for sure!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I have to get a cleaver. I was using my Global Chef's knife yesterday--the one good knife I have (poor student here!)

Beef Stroganoff tonight:

I start with 3 sirlion steaks and cut them into strips:

gallery_6080_565_1105060013.jpg

Ever since I read Bourdain's book, I keep thinking he's going to come along and thwack me if I don't have my mise en place before I start. I'm trying, I really am.

gallery_6080_565_1105060031.jpg

start by browning the beef;

gallery_6080_565_1105060061.jpg

And when that's done, remove it, (try not to eat all the pieces before you have to put them back in), add more butter to the pan and saute the garlic and onion.

gallery_6080_565_1105060079.jpg

Add some flour, ketchup and pepper and stir it up until it's smooth.

gallery_6080_565_1105060115.jpg

Add some beef stock (in my case, freshly made today!) and let it simmer away for 5 or 10 minutes.

gallery_6080_565_1105060133.jpg

Add red wine and once that's completely incorporated, add sour cream and stir until it's all mixed together.

gallery_6080_565_1105060160.jpg

Then add the beef back in, asuming there's any left, and let it simmer until the beef heats through.

gallery_6080_565_1105060181.jpg

We like it over rice rather than the usual egg noodles and there are no mushrooms in this recipe :biggrin:

gallery_6080_565_1105060284.jpg

I served it with a Vienna baquette that my son and I picked up this afternoon when we took a walk in the snow over to the bakery.

gallery_6080_565_1105060305.jpg

Now this is pure comfort food for a snowy, cold winter day. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

But mushrooms too would be nice.