• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Dinner tonight was a surprise.. I bought salt cod and wanted to make this a practice run.. It turns out the recipe I used was just awesome! My photos are not however.. The only plate that came out good photo wise was the one I made for my doorman.. The rice I added two boullon cubes and some saffron..

It was salt cod baked with potatoes, onions,green peppers, capers, in a tomato, lime, garlic, wine sauce.. Word

gallery_15057_2187_12339.jpg

The meal, enough to feed six was like 8 bucks.. Wine not included, but included to the cook...

Bite:

gallery_15057_2187_1162278.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

It was salt cod baked with potatoes, onions,green peppers, capers, in a tomato, lime, garlic, wine sauce.. Word

gallery_15057_2187_12339.jpg

This is gonna sound really stupid but I HAVE to ask.........what does "Word" mean here?

I've seen it before and tried to glean some meaning from the context but.......now I give up....... :unsure:

Other than that, everthing looks FABULOUS !

Y'all take much more time with your daily meals than, I , I am afraid :laugh:

Dockhl..

Word is short for Word is bond.. Like, I am telling you the truth...My word is bonded by truth.. It has since been transformed into an expression which shows truth, revelation, or sincerity

Once you have mastered it in every day use, you now can start using it in the abstract.. I said"It was salt cod baked with potatoes, onions,green peppers, capers, in a tomato, lime, garlic, wine sauce.. Word" Answering all questions on if its good or not.. I just said word didnt I, of course its good.. Respect :biggrin:

Dock you are from Paso.. What does Yeeehaaaaaw mean to you and please write a short essay in which you are trying to describe this term to a vistor from another planet.. :biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

I need a fourth if there is a strike.. Meet me tomorrow morning on 84th st... I will be serving it for breakfast  :laugh:

That's a long walk if the trains aren't running. :laugh::hmmm: But in that case, enjoy!

Michael aka "Pan"

Kabocha is a very popular squash in Japan. It is very sweet and tasty. This soup recipe is to use traditional Cantonese soup-making technique and feature kabocha as the main ingredient. The chicken feet make this soup very rich.

gallery_19795_2213_2725.jpg

For a pictorial recipe, click here.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I made a lovely cream of watercress soup.. bright green, creamy, slightly peppery.

After that we had sauerkraut braised with white wine and juniper, and mashed potatoes with Frisian clove cheese.. these 2 items were the leftovers from a wonderful dinner some friends of mine cooked for me in my kitchen on wednesday.. Today I only added some cubed of smoked bacon, fried until crisp.

dessert: storebought vanilla custard with a slice of my mom's ginger-shortbread

Hello all,

Dinner today was a mixture of traditional food and the so called "fusion or crossover kitchen"

The amuse bouche was a three tidbits offer

Fried sushi on vandaloo relish, Avocado mousse with dried ham and arugula on puff pastry, cooked artichoke omelette.

gallery_23358_2215_187006.jpg

First course

Egg plant and bean soup with goat cheese and fried reye bread cubes

gallery_23358_2215_77318.jpg

Second course

Tortellini on sauted leeks with polenta butter and "Blaufraenkisch sauce", fried almond sticks and grated parmesan

gallery_23358_2215_137746.jpg

Third course

Lamb in coffee crust with leeks-spring onions-potato mash on lambs stock

gallery_23358_2215_7458.jpg

Dessert

Soft Gingerbread Mousse with Gluehwein sauce and orange slices

gallery_23358_2215_54613.jpg

We've been 12 around the table and everybody was thrilled about the dinner. Sorry about the poor pictures but I've only a cam corder to make photos alike. Hopefully I'll be able to buy a digital camera soon to get better pictures.

Edited by legourmet (log)

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Legourmet, that meal looks fabulous. I would be pleased to be a guest at your table any night, especially if the pictures don't do it full justice.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

legourmet

Wow.

Alinka, being a Texan, I was hoping it you would give tell us a little more about that steak you cooked up?

Nothing to tell, really. Just cooked it in a skilled (could not start the grill). Salt, pepper, store-bought sauce.

Alinka, that steak looks great.  How was it prepared?  And what were the sides?  Thanks for the tips on photography.  I also have a basic camera, and am never satisfied with the way my pics turn out. 

The sides were sugar peas, red bell pepper, and roasted potatoes. You're welcome for the tips! :smile: Just play with your camera using the manual, and you'll be surprised how much you can sqeeze out of it.

You're welcome for the tips! :smile: Just play with your camera using the manual, and you'll be surprised how much you can sqeeze out of it.

Manual? You mean it came with a manual? I'm too arrogant to think I even need a manual. :laugh:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

We've been wrapping presents and doing the usual holiday stuff, so my kitchen efforts have been a bit sporadic. Last night's dinner was panko-fried butterflied shrimp, tartar sauce made with minced sweet onion, homemade dill pickles, chopped dill and Duke's mayo. Two dishes from the oven: crusty bacon-topped brown-sugar baked beans and a pan of corn/scallion spoonbread. Lots of sweet iced tea. (which I'll miss tonight; today was ice-machine cleaning day, and its parts had a Clorox soak and drying and just now were reassembled, to start humming cheerfully and dumping that wonderful crunchy ice).

Tonight's dinner will be a quick ground-beef "Stroganoff" with mushrooms, thickened beef stock, sour cream and wide noodles. Orange/red onion salad.

All those dishes above are awesome. Even the quick-snap ones and the video-cam ones are just wonderful. I'm so glad you're back, Chufi, and am glad to see the new names and dishes.

And everytime I scroll down to "bite" on Daniel's posts---my tongue hurts in advance---word indeed. (and I don't even LIKE fish).

And PERCY!!! Those mushrooms, at first glance and without seeing the script, could have been rustic bread from ancient ovens, shaped by calloused hands from wheat gathered and threshed and ground at home. Or great hunks of smoked meat from some hunted-down creature, brought home to the cave to last the Winter.

Ditto Word.

gallery_23358_2215_54613.jpg

We've been 12 around the table and everybody was thrilled about the dinner. Sorry about the poor pictures but I've only a cam corder to make photos alike. Hopefully I'll be able to buy a digital camera soon to get better pictures.

That dinner look and sounded fabulous.. I hope you do get a camera soon!

Wow, Rachel getting her word on.. That dinner sounds great... I dont eat nearly enough fried shrimp.. That is going to be one of my New Years resolutions..Fry more shrimp.. Just a little fine tuning to make me a better person.. :biggrin:

I am Home Alone for a while... horray!!! Tonight I had stone crab claws, a bottle of bubbly, and apple strudel with vanilla ice cream for dinner. :wub:

I still have some good photos from last weekend's delicious dinners to post. I hope to catch up soon.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Word is short for Word is bond.. Like, I am telling you the truth...My word is bonded by truth..  It has since been transformed into an expression which shows truth, revelation, or sincerity

Once you have mastered it in every day use, you now can start using it in the abstract.. I said"It was salt cod baked with potatoes, onions,green peppers, capers, in a tomato, lime, garlic, wine sauce.. Word"  Answering all questions on if its good or not.. I just said word didnt I, of course its good.. Respect  :biggrin:

Daniel~

Thank you so much for explaining this! I feel like I should have gleaned the meaning but........ :sad: I feel much better knowing now.......

Dock you are from Paso.. What does Yeeehaaaaaw mean to you and please write a short essay in which you are trying to describe this term to a vistor from another planet..  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Well, I am just begining to figure "Yeeehaaaaaw" out myself, as I have only been here 6 months and come by way of Pennsylvania and San Juan Capistrano/San Diego. A whole new world up here, and a fascinating one! I am learning new things every day. I LOVE it!

My sister and BIL from Manhattan were here over the summer. Loved the wine tasting, scenery and serenity---couldn't BELIEVE how far away from everything I am and.......where are all the people? LOL

I used to always eat salads out so I didn't have to make them at home. Now that I don't eat out as much I have to be very creative to tempt myselfwith salads. Dinner last night and tonight was this one: baby spinach, Boston lettuce, roast chicken, red onion, pine nuts, satsuma sections and a sweet sherry vinegar dressing. Tonight I threw in a few grapes and I suspect the remaining greens will be feature some of the same components plus blue cheese crumbles.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

noodle.jpg

Roasted Duck & Noodle Soup with Bok Choy & Basil

Oh, that bowl of everything beautiful and luscious!!! The greens and the russets and golden broth, punctuated by those perfect noodles. I've been known to stand at one particular buffet and pick out the crisp, garlicky slices of bok choy from the Moo Goo...all the textures and flavors. Lovely soup.

But do I spy sunshine through the screen off to the right??? It's blizzardy here and I NEED PORCH!!!! :wub:

Japanese afternoon in Amsterdam..

First we had steaming bowls of instant miso soup while watching Kurosawa's Kagemusha on DVD.

And then, inspired by the takikomi thread on the Japan forum, I made takikomi gohan with mushrooms, deepfried tofu, carrots and hijiki seaweed. Served with sesame spinach.

takikomi.jpg

we'll watch the rest of the movie (over 3 hours, too much for one sitting) later and munch on some wasabi peas.