• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Lesfen, how were those brats? Are you warmed up yet?  I'm nowhere near as brave as you are.  My grill is under the cover on the patio waiting for the warm weather again.  :sad:

Mine is still on my porch, under a cover, and will remain there until after Christmas. We usually have a second Christmas dinner the day after with my step-son and I always grill up some pork tenderloins.

The brats were wonderful! I boiled them off in some beer and water and then threw them on the grill until they were crispy. Nothing fancy. The wind didn't kick up until well after we were in bed, so the actual grilling went off without a hitch. Served them up on some squishy hot dog buns with spicy mustard and tater tots. Oh yes. Tater tots. Unfortunately they were baked, as I didn't want to stink up the house with the deep fryer, but they were still really good. My husband had some coleslaw and I had some cottage cheese on the side. At the end of the day it was all about the comfort food.

...Oh yes.  Tater tots...

I may lose some credibility as a foodie, but I love Tater Tots.

Join the crowd:

"The Tater Tot Thread, Creative Uses for The Little Buggers"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

As I type, I'm sipping homemade avgolemono soup out of a huge mug. So simple warm and comforting, perfect for a bitter cold night when I'm sure I'm coming down with something.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

I am new to this board so i don't how to upload pics yet.

I have been amazed by all of your pics.

America eats good baby...

Last night we had rice with chinese long beans and chinese syle chicken that my husband made.

AShiana

Hello and welcome!! We love to see photos so please check out this tutorial,<Photo Instructions > it will help you post photos.. I never took the time to learn photoshop and am not the most "technical" person in the room or any room for that matter..But posting pictures here has been rather smooth for me..

Thank you Daniel

I will definitely work on posting my pics while i admire everyone else's

Your food always look so good that i would definitely wanna be on your guest list :wink:

Ashiana

Starter was a Tuna Salad with Cos Lettuce, Avocado, Tomatos and Croutons.

shank2.jpg

Lamb Shanks Braised in Red Wine with Polenta

I'm very slowly improving my presentation and, IMHO, this is the first braise I've done that doesn't look like turds.

Dessert was Cherry Frozen Yogurt and Cherry Sorbet (we forgot we had 3lb of cherries in the fridge until it was a bit overripe for eating out of hand).

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

shank2.jpg

I'm very slowly improving my presentation and, IMHO, this is the first braise I've done that doesn't look like turds.

Dessert was Cherry Frozen Yogurt and Cherry Sorbet (we forgot we had 3lb of cherries in the fridge until it was a bit overripe for eating out of hand).

That does look really pretty.. I think thats the nicest looking lamb shank I have seen on Egullet.. Its missing the slime that my picture had and most do..

I think the key was that after the braise, I seperated the meat from the veggies from the sauce, degreased the sauce and reduced it down. Because the meat was out in the open, it dried out and there was no slime.

Also, if you have a full service butcher, I highly reccomend you get him to cut the shank above the knuckle if possible (but still give you the knuckle!). I belatedly found out that my shanks were slightly too big to fit into my pot so a few minutes with a hacksaw and the knuckle was off. Because the bone marrow was exposed, the sauce had an incredible rich, marrowy flavour which I loved and I could suck out the marrow after I was finished with the shank.

I think the key was that after the braise, I seperated the meat from the veggies from the sauce, degreased the sauce and reduced it down. Because the meat was out in the open, it dried out and there was no slime.

Also, if you have a full service butcher, I highly reccomend you get him to cut the shank above the knuckle if possible (but still give you the knuckle!). I belatedly found out that my shanks were slightly too big to fit into my pot so a few minutes with a hacksaw and the knuckle was off. Because the bone marrow was exposed, the sauce had an incredible rich, marrowy flavour which I loved and I could suck out the marrow after I was finished with the shank.

Degreased the sauce? Did you use a gravy strainer..

Degreased the sauce? Did you use a gravy strainer..

No, I'm not Thomas Keller like in my dislike of all impurities in sauces. I just periodically skimmed any surface fat off the braise every hour or so, chilled it in the fridge to harden the fat and returned the sauce portion back to the pot. By the end, the sauce was relatively grease free and I just had to spoon out a couple of visible blobs.

shank2.jpg

That looks sensational!

I think thats the nicest looking lamb shank I have seen on  Egullet.

I agree, and thanks for the additional discussion. Now I want lamb shanks. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I've been absent from this thread too long! haven't been cooking much for the past several weeks.

Here is a Thai green curry I made almost two weeks ago, now...I didn't do it according to Hoyle: I "velveted" the chicken pieces and browned them rather than letting them cook in the sauce. It was not authentic but it was damn tasty and tender. I used a humble Bell pepper for texture and colour, again not authentic. Oh well. It was delicious!

PC010001.jpg

And last night after serious Christmas shopping, I settled down (at around 11:30 :rolleyes:) with some Terra Breads Cranberry and Pistachio bread, some Cranberry & Peppercorn Boursin, and some Pâté au Cognac, and the cutest pear in the history of agriculture. (I promise I got the bread away before *Ziggy Palffy* licked it :laugh:)

PC060003.jpg

Now I have to go back and look at all the wonderful things you guys have been making! :smile:

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Finally, finally, finally I got around to making a souffle. The task is particularly difficult because I have never tasted one before, so I have no idea if it was right. My friend, however, and I liked it regardless :smile:. Very chocolaty.

So here's what it looked like coming out of the oven:

gallery_34224_2175_67805.jpg

My bite:

gallery_34224_2175_55177.jpg

He opted for whipped cream:

gallery_34224_2175_16460.jpg

Before I could put the dollop of whipped cream on top, it kind of collapsed. That doesn't seem right :hmmm:.

That looks damn good, Alinka - way to go!

Was it your whipped cream that collapsed, or the souffle?

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Tonight we invited friends over and made tamales. Chips, salsa, guacamole and fresh corn tamales while everyone rolled and tied, sangria to fortify us all while waiting for them to steam, then cabbage and orange slaw with the finished bundles of goodness. Princess cake after we all sat back and let it settle for a while.

Chicken with cilantro and cotija cheese, sweet masa with cajete, and pork with anchos:

tamales.jpg

Princess cake (birthday cake for Mr. tejon and me):

princesscake1.jpg

princesscakeslice.jpg

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Yeah, thats normal. When making a souffle, the diners wait for the dish, not the other way around. Even 10 or 15 minutes after taking out of the oven can mean significant deflation. This presents some tricky logistical challenges if your plan on doing elegant plating.

hzrt8w,

You really should be commended for what a tireless amazing job you do posting all of these pictorials.. Thank you so much for introducing me and many others to Chinese Cooking.. Your contributioins are priceless..

Nice souffle Alina !!

Kathy, is that cake topped with Marzipan (....hmmm...marzipan)?

I am catching up on my posts for the week. I did not have many opportunities to cook lately and the coming week looks bleek as well (Christmas parties and dining at per se coming up).

So this is what I had sometime this past week...

Moo Shu Pork

gallery_21049_162_45846.jpg

Shrimp Pad Thai (minus peanuts...wife did not want them)

gallery_21049_162_34972.jpg

Philly Cheesesteak

gallery_21049_162_41363.jpg

The Pad Thai is home cooked, the rest is takeout :sad:

Tejon, is that cake from the Village Baker's Wife? It's beautiful!

And Swisskaese, thanks for the link to Surfas. I hadn't seen them before, and not only do they have my favorite marzipan, but also the astounding corbezzolo honey, and at a much better price than Zingerman's. Cool site.

Edited by Abra (log)