• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

a bit of jarred Barilla marinara (yeah, I know its cheating),

You are using the Barilla Fettucini Rigati? I LOVE that stuff....actually, ALL of the 'rigati' pastas ! And I think their sauce is a very decent start for your own.......

I just wish someone would tell me where I can buy tubettini ! Used to love them in tomato soup when I was a kid and can't find them anywhere ..............

The Barilla is our basic in house pasta, and yeah, I like their Rigati stuff as well. Their marinara is as basic as you can get, its not nearly as artificial and preservative-laden as the American corn-syrupy stuff is.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Welcome, new people!

Last night I just HAD to have onion soup... Got home tired and cold. Did not feel much like cooking, but still wanted something warm and comforting. Simple (although not necessarily quick :smile:) onion soup with sweet and red onions, red wine, Dijon mustard, butter, home made croutons and stretchy cheese - this yummy, flavorful, dark concoction, - was just what I needed :smile:.

Amazing that you just had that. It looks luscious. I have been craving homemade onion soup for so long, and keep making other stuff first. I even have the onions and the Gruyere. ...Soon.

Rachel requested pasta tonight, so I made the following:

Pseudo-Bolognese:

That looks good!

Spaghetti with Peas

So does that!

I am hungry. I am going to go cook chicken in a three-tomato (canned, fresh, and sun-dried) and who-knows-what-else sauce to have with pasta.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Still living off dinner from Monday night.. Rare dinner in front of the old boob tube.

Last of the oyster stew..

gallery_15057_2056_31440.jpg

Cured Pork Salad.. Goat cheese,truffle vinagraette.. Salad two nights in a row.. Hmm :angry:

gallery_15057_2056_726061.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Despite a fierce chest cold, I managed to put to use the fresh chaurice I got from Poche's Market today, rather than freeze it: I butterflied a chicken, stuffed chaurice under the skin, roasted it at a high heat (~ 500 degrees, ~ 45 minutes), and made a pan sauce from the drippings and a little more chaurice. Served it in quarters over grits.

The pan sauce tasted a lot like the gravy Popeye's puts on their mashed potatoes, which took me a while to place -- this is a good thing, mind you.

It was Dylan's night to pick dinner, so we had... Beanies & Weenies!! She cut up some Best's Kosher hot dogs with a grapefruit knife and dumped them into a pot of Bush's vegetarian baked beans. We served these with romaine hearts tossed with homemade lemon dressing and leftover cucumber/red pepper/feta salad from last night.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Last night I ate out, at a holiday open house. Tonight's dinner was skillet-cooked, over pasta... chicken thighs first cooked in lots of garlic and then gradually the ingredients added for a "Three Tomato Sauce" with onions, mushroom, anchovies, Kalamata olives, etc.

gallery_13038_1949_30703.jpg

Monday night, another skillet dinner: Boneless pork chops sauteed in a little garlic, sage, and olive oil; then as soon as they were done, took them out, deglazed with some wine, and added spinach to cook in the juices... and, potatoes rubbed with olive oil and coarse salt, and baked.

gallery_13038_1949_96993.jpg

Eating inside has had an up-side... our view (or my view, anyway) is the neighbor's Christmas lights, opposite our house on the cul-de-sac.

gallery_13038_1949_28747.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Inspired by the King Oyster Mushroom thread, I went to my local H-Mart (formerly HanAhReum) and bought some supplies:

gallery_2_4_44696.jpg

I sliced up some King Oysters, and wok sauteed them with butter, some whole bean shoyu (soy sauce), with the whites of green onions.

gallery_2_4_20159.jpg

I then wokked up some tiger shrimp (from Bangladesh, who knew) with more butter and garlic, green onions, bean sprouts, rice cooking wine, black pepper to taste, and threw in the King Oyster saute.

gallery_2_4_61793.jpg

Plated dish with store bought tofu banchan, jap chae noodles, and a baked potato with butter.

I was sort of going with the teppan-butter-yaki-Benihana vibe with this one. The kitchen certainly smelled like a Benihana when I was done!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

tonight we started with kirs and some pork and cognac pate (not homemade)

71387014_0c6a139412.jpg

A few of you have asked to see pictures of the new kitchen work space, I won't hijak the thread but maybe sneak in one a night for the next few. I designed the space myself

here is a little angle shot to see the nice marbel slab

71387015_8a64e09dc5.jpg

dinner was risotto with butternut squash, chanterelles and a drizzel of white truffle oil

71387016_6630f0214c.jpg

This classical Cantonese steamed shrimp with garlic dish takes a little bit of work - mostly for slicing each shrimp in half. The rewarding taste of fresh shrimp in rich garlic steamed to perfection is well worth it. The mung bean threads placed at the bottom of the dish would soak up the juice from the shrimp and they taste wonderful.

gallery_19795_2157_45313.jpg

For a pictorial recipe of this dish, click here.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

What an amazing thread!

This is my very first post, I must say I was motivated to join just based on these wonderful posts!

It's thirteen degrees here in NE Ohio, and I'm going to make a ham/potato scallop for dinner, using three cheeses, jack, cheddar and swiss.

The peeled potatos get sliced paper thin, and laid in the casserole with a hint of minced onion, milk, butter and flour and cheese. this cooks for almost two hours in a 325 oven, until the flavors blend and some of the cheese caremalizes.

A tossed salad on the side. :smile:

---------------------------------------

Everything looks delicious! Welcome, christine007.

Still trying to clean out the freezer. Yesterday was linguine with pesto. I left my camera upstairs and was too lazy to get it. The other night was sweet potato latkes. Nowhere near as good as yours, Jason.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I'm by far not an expert on latkes, so maybe Jason or someone else can handle this one. My husband likes it with sauteed onions, sour cream and applesauce.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Welcome Christine!

I made falafel early this week with lots of garnishes insluding homemade pickles, tomatoes, babba ghanoosh and of course Tahini sauce. Drank lots of, what else, Pepsi.

For the past few days, Wolfert's recipes get better with age :smile:, I have been eating her Kibbeh with Sumac, eggplant and Chickpeas (from "The Cooking of the Eatsern Mediterannean"). the kibbeh are stuffed with ground lamb and spices and drained yogurt. then they are steamed and finiched in a stew of eggplant, chickpeas and lots of sumac. I served it with rice and spiced yogurt. A lovely and heart warming Middle eastern dish.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

LMF, that multi-tone marble is gorgeous. You must have picked the slab yourself, eh?

FM, I am SO making that Wolfert dish, esp. since I have the book and I just saw some beautiful eggplant.

Last evening, excellent bratwurst from the German meat man. Poached until barely cooked through, browned on the outside to finish. Proper bratwurst rolls from the German bakery. Dusseldorf mustard. The market's German potato salad, cooked sauerkraut, and coleslaw on the side. Fleischsalat, meat salad, with their fabulous rye bread to start.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

thanks, what a fun group of nice people, and great topic too!

I love falafel in pita bread with sauce,tomatos and cukes.

Brats in a crusty roll, with spicy mustard, yum!

I'm having brats tonight, baby! I'll be the crazy one grilling in my snowsuit.

Lefsen, you're brave, we're under a snow warning tonight!

Do you ever go the the westside market? Best brats ever! Love the white ones, I'm not sure what they're called.

Don't get frostbit!

---------------------------------------

Lefsen, you're brave, we're under a snow warning tonight!

Do you ever go the the westside market? Best brats ever! Love the white ones, I'm not sure what they're called.

Don't get frostbit!

LOVE that place, altho' I don't get up to Cleveland as often as I'd like. The West Side Market usually ends up as a quick side trip if we're already up there for something else. And yes, those really are the best brats ever! These brats actually came from Hartville and they're pretty darn good... but I don't think I've ever had a bad brat.

Made dinner for myself tonight.. Defrosted a duck leg..Pan fried, served with grits, parsely shallot salad.. Port reduction on top.. It was very good, very simple to make with big results.. Not the best picture.

gallery_15057_2056_761885.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Lesfen, how were those brats? Are you warmed up yet? I'm nowhere near as brave as you are. My grill is under the cover on the patio waiting for the warm weather again. :sad:

Daniel, never met a duck I didn't like.

Camera's still upstairs. Dinner tonight was leftovers. And STILL trying to clean out the freezer. I took some ground turkey and sauteed it with some yellow squash. Added some black bean & garlic sauce, served on top of leftover rice. There was some linguine and pesto too. Real smorsgasboard.

Karen C.