• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Susan~

Beautiful souffle....got a recipe you'd like to share?

K

I'd be happy to. A friend gave us the recipe like this. Pardon me for posting it the easy way, but as you can see, it came to us in very general terms... Like, how much grits before cooking them? What kind of cheese? Anyway, Russ doubled the recipe and used a mixture of pre-grated cheddar and Monterey Jack. I think he pre-cooked about one cup of grits and the yield turned out to be about three cups. Then he used two, as per doubling the recipe.

gallery_13038_1949_69374.jpg

gallery_13038_1949_47144.jpg

This was a version quite different than I'm used to. It is good to make if you're hoping to lighten up, yet it's satisfying. All the baked cheese grits I made before were very rich! I love that, too :wub:, but this was a nice change and it was rewarding to see it turn out as well as it did. And, it's the recipe of our friend's 96 year-old mother.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Rabbit braised with vinegar, applepaste, prunes and gingerbread

Apple-potato mash

gallery_21505_1968_3308.jpg

recipes here in the Dutch Cooking thread

this was so good, one of the best things I have made sofar in my quest for traditional Dutch dishes!

Sandy, that looks good!  It is especially interesting to me, since I like fish -- even tuna -- cooked through, or else raw.  I love ceviche and sushi and other raw fish dishes, but if I'm eating it cooked, I want it cooked through.  And of course still moist, but that isn't easy with tuna.  Congrats!

Thanks!

I should add that they weren't on that grill for long--about 8 minutes total. I seared them on High for 1 minute per side, then turned the grill down to Medium for another 6 minutes. (I had to keep them warm on Low while the tortellini finished cooking; they might have cooked a little more on this setting, but my countertop grill's Low setting doesn't emit that much heat, so I don't think it had an adverse effect on the steaks.)

To reveal a bit more about myself, and alluding back to your TV dinner, I scarfed my plate down while watching "The O'Reilly Factor," followed by "My Name Is Earl."

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Tonight I broiled a couple of quails we bought at this Quail Farm in Griggstown, N.J. I brined them, then prepared them for broiling.. Rubbed in salt, white pepper, and juniper berries.. And poured some brandy over them.. Added with a salad of parsley, and tiny bit of lettuce and a smaller amount of scallions.. Made a radish sherry vinagraette.. It was very good.. Went back and had seconds of just the salad..

Those diced pieces of radish soaked in the sherry vinegar are so good.

gallery_15057_2056_480451.jpg

Skate wing poached in white wine vinegar/ water solution with peppercorns, thyme,onion and parsley... From the Cook's Book...Love the vinegar flavor..Makes it refreshing.. The healthiest dish I have ever made.. No oil or butter.. The Skate cooks in 10 minutes. Cooking can be held off and the Skate can be prepared after the salad.. It took every fiber of my being to stop me from making an unhealthy vegetable side or another course all together.. :biggrin: But this dish was perfect left alone.

gallery_15057_2056_177623.jpg

For dessert, last nights rum cake..

Edited by Daniel (log)

It's been a long week of fussy holiday and wedding food, so I was ready for something pure and simple. Steak cooked to medium rare, tossed salad with a very simple vinaigrette, and broccolini with garlic, olive oil and red pepper flakes.

gallery_26775_1623_83266.jpg

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I had a hankering for pot stickers. So, I made about 130 of these

gallery_6263_35_33357.jpg

I put most of them on cookie sheets in the freezer; once frozen into zip lock bags.

I pot stickered the rest of them and served them with a stir fried broccoli with tons of garlic and a splash of nam pla.

gallery_6263_35_357.jpg

For dessert, a few more pot stickers and a clemantine.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Snow Angel,

Talk about getting into a rhythm.. How long does it take to make 130 potstickers. Have you made them before? please describe in detail the dreams you have tonight which include potstickers.. You did a wonderful job..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Those potstickers look SOOO good!  Recipe please!

PS - Did you boil them before frying?

I'll get the recipe into RecipeGullet within the next day or two. It's a riff off of the recipe from Barbara Tropp's Modern Art of Chinese Cooking. I must confess that I used purchased wrappers (hands head in shame). Her pleating instructions are outstanding.

No, I don't boil them first. Put them in a hot pan that has some oil; putting them in butted up against each other. When the bottoms get nice and golden, add some stock, reduce heat, and put a lid on. When they are done (I think about 10 minutes? I'll have to check), remove lid to boil off the little stock remaining and turn out onto a plate.

One of the things I like is having a mess of these in the freezer. I can pull out 1/2 a dozen and fix them for a quick lunch in a very small skillet, or use a lot for a quick dinner (ultimate fast food). If they are frozen, I do not defrost them before cooking.

Edited to add: Daniel, it took me just under 45 minutes to fill and pleat them. I can do this in my sleep. I don't know how many thousands I've made over the years.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I am taking a couple of days off from work, sort of an extended Thanksgiving vacation. So today I decided to make good use of the turkey leftovers.

Bolognese Tortellini in turkey broth

I made a rich stock with the turkey carcass and made a filling from leftover turkey meat, chicken and mortadella.

This is time consuming so I was very lucky to have a sous chef to help me roll the sheets. He's taking a day off from daycare too

gallery_5404_94_145004.jpg

Unfortunatly soon after he moved on to more interesting things and I had to fill the pasta by myself

gallery_5404_94_3893.jpg

I had two of these baking sheets when I was done

gallery_5404_94_28564.jpg

Finished and heart warming with a sprinkling of chili flakes and Parmeggiano

Dessert was preped yesterday. Pumpkin Cheesecake with caramel and a gingersnap crust

gallery_5404_94_358584.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

oh we have been moving, installing new appliances, running around for the holidays...... finally a minute to cook something again. very simple penne carbonnara with a green salad and a sangiovese in the glass.

68210438_53abb4c4f9.jpg

everything on the last few pages look awesome you guys!! nice going.

One of the things I like is having a mess of these in the freezer. I can pull out 1/2 a dozen and fix them for a quick lunch in a very small skillet, or use a lot for a quick dinner (ultimate fast food). [...]

The last time I made my batch of potstickers, I froze them but they stick to each other. When I tried to tear them apart in frozen state, the wrapper broke apart and created holes. Any trick to keep them separated during freezing?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

The last time I made my batch of potstickers, I froze them but they stick to each other.  When I tried to tear them apart in frozen state, the wrapper broke apart and created holes.  Any trick to keep them separated during freezing?

Lay them out on a cookie sheet and then freeze them. When they're frozen, pop them into freezer bags. That's really the best way to prevent sticking.

Rabbit braised with vinegar, applepaste, prunes and gingerbread

Apple-potato mash

gallery_21505_1968_3308.jpg

recipes here in the Dutch Cooking thread

this was so good, one of the best things I have made sofar in my quest for traditional Dutch dishes!

Chufi,

Was the applepaste you used, appelkraut?

I love that stuff. :wub:

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Daniel, those empanadas are making me nostalgic for some Argentine home-cooking, and that rum cake looks fabulous.

Susan, that grits recipe looks like it could have been pulled from my mums file- down to the hand-writing and the notecard. Plus she's from the south...

Elie, you have the most adorable pasta helper!

Dinner here was simple: peas and potatoes masala with red rice and yogurt.

Dessert will be from the big tin of shortbread sent to me by my boyfriend's Scottish mother :-)

Daniel, those empanadas are making me nostalgic for some Argentine home-cooking, and that rum cake looks fabulous.

Susan, that grits recipe looks like it could have been pulled from my mums file- down to the hand-writing and the notecard. Plus she's from the south...

Elie, you have the most adorable pasta helper!

Dinner here was simple: peas and potatoes masala with red rice and yogurt.

Dessert will be from the big tin of shortbread sent to me by my boyfriend's Scottish mother :-)

Ahh no..My girls empanadas will make you wanna slap yo momma, these are so good..

Pseudo thanksgiving:

Watercress soup with cured ham and nutmeg crouton

1999 Cuvaison Chardonnay Corneros

Turkey supreme stuffed with chestnuts

Port wine sauce

Creamed potatoes

Mashed sweet potato

Brussel sprouts

2002 Ridge Geyserville Zinfandel

Pumpkin pie with Bourbon Chantilly

2003 Cave Spring Riesling Icewine

Stilton

Walnuts

Mince Pies

We had turkey fried rice last night. The last of the thanksgiving turkey (except for what little meat is frozen with the carcass for turkey soup/stock). Used leftover Thai jasmine rice which gave it a really nice flavor.

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Nice cod from Whole Foods, seasoned, flour-egg-panko'd, bunged into high-heat convection. When crispified, landed on crispy autumn spring mix, bracingly dressed with Balsamic and olive oil, and then topped with a dollop of vastly reduced heavy cream which had been enriched with pesto.

Aiming for, once cut into, all the juices running together in the salad greens; achieved! Ciabatta from the Japanese baker--unreservedly, again, Best Ciabatta Ever. Saltylicious Tillamook butter. Whole Foods' Solis 2000 Zinfandel, not bad, but wouldn't pay any more for it neither.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Jackal,

Did you have pseudo Thanksgiving because all the talk on here got you hungry for those dishes or did it just occur to you while you were eating them that they fit the Tday profile?

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

We have been gradually using up Thanksgiving leftovers. I think that after tonight, all that will be left will be in the freezer.

gallery_13038_1949_145580.jpg

This was the night before last... Left over eGullet Famous Roasted Cauliflower, used in a pasta sauce on Bucatini.

Last night we took a break from using leftovers and had roasted chicken and potatoes, corn, and a spinach salad. Tonight we're having turkey-barley-mushroom soup.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Jackal,

Did you have pseudo Thanksgiving because all the talk on here got you hungry for those dishes or did it just occur to you while you were eating them that they fit the Tday profile?

Nope the theme was chosen quite a while back.

I had to arrange a dinner for an angel investment group I'm part of. It was going to be an early Xmas dinner (its was the last investment meting of the year) , hence the mince pies that sneaked in, so the turkey part had been chosen, but it seemed a bit early for Christmas. Thus Thanksgiving was a suitable theme, even if a few days late.

It also gave a chance to try some of the New World wine that was available. In particular the Cave Spring Riesling Icewine from the Niagara Peninsula was spectacular (29.95/half bottle from Berry Bros UK

http://www.bbr.com/GB/db/product/58628H/Ca...X64QBLNGNX300B4 )

$59.95 from the vineyard

http://www.cavespringcellars.com/winedb/wi...uyEVyZuTTNjpBUa

Edited by jackal10 (log)