• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Tiramisu tart from The Pie Bible

Tiramisu-vi.jpg

Hazelnut caramel cheesecake

CaramelCheesecake-vi.jpg

These desserts look INCREDIBLE!!!

Ditto that. Great stuff, Alinka!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Happy Hour at home tonight included some left over smoked fish dip on Triscuits, served very informally, as you can see.

gallery_13038_1949_13578.jpg

After that, we finished up the Celery Root Bisque from last night. Tonight we drizzled truffle oil on top, instead of dipping the hot soup into the bowl on top of a piece of butter like we did last night.

gallery_13038_1949_91724.jpg

The rest of dinner was a bit unusual. Russ made some uncooked puttanesca sauce, and had that with pasta. I wanted some of the left over turkey and duck from last night, so that's what I had, with a little bit of "Russ's" pasta on the side.

gallery_13038_1949_106331.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Last night we started dinner with steamed artichokes, dipping the leaves in homemade garlic mayo. They were huge, and tasted as good as the younger ones.

gallery_13038_1949_128643.jpg

The best was indeed saved for last. Look at the size of the bottom! I couldn't resist taking a Daniel-style shot. :smile:

gallery_13038_1949_104003.jpg

I made braciole and a beefy tomato sauce and served pasta with it. This was the best outcome of all my braciole attempts, staying intact as they did.

gallery_13038_1949_132366.jpg

Last evening a very good pantry dinner, pasta carbonara. If pantry can be assumed to include fridge, of course. Beautiful crisp salad of autumn spring mix with the welcome seasonal increase in frisee, and LBB soudough with saltylicious Tillamook butter. The Sangiovese again that the wine store guy recommended the other week.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Catching up on some recent good dinners...

The Beaujolais Nouveau Dinner Thursday night:

gallery_13038_1949_165313.jpg

Now that's what I call a TV dinner!

--Sandy, who dines in this fashion often as well, only with slightly less sophisticated fare and tray tables

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Way back on the 16th, I had posted over in my thread about cooking tuna steaks that I had succeeded in producing grilled tuna steaks that were not dry as dust yet cooked through.

I had cut them to half their original thickness, then marinated them in a mixture of olive oil, garlic and spices that a poster on the thread had recommended. Then I grilled them on my countertop grill:

gallery_20347_2076_20818.jpg

and served them with peas and tortellini tossed in olive oil and Parmesan cheese. The pea-hating roommate got okra instead:

gallery_20347_2076_732149.jpg

The steaks were completely cooked through, not rare at all. And they were not completely dried out. I have to call this a success, though a modest one.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thanks, Sandy! There was quite a while that I was not ready to come out of the closet and admit such a thing as how much we enjoy watching TV, including during meals. A few years ago that would immediately mean to some people that we did not converse while watching; and so I often didn't admit it especially when the kids were home, lest protective services would come and take them away. Just kidding, but there was a while it was a taboo. However, we have always been able to manage to have good conversation and eat and watch TV at the same time! Amazing, huh.

So anyway, with the Giants and Seattle tonight we had, cooked by Russ...

Herb Roasted Cornish Hens

Grits and Cheese Souffle

Leftover Thanksgiving green beans and wild mushrooms

Georges Duboeuf 2003 Moulin-A-Vent, Tour du Bief

gallery_13038_1949_14896.jpg

And a shot of the souffle just out of the oven, it was so pretty...

gallery_13038_1949_67632.jpg

Sandy, that looks good! It is especially interesting to me, since I like fish -- even tuna -- cooked through, or else raw. I love ceviche and sushi and other raw fish dishes, but if I'm eating it cooked, I want it cooked through. And of course still moist, but that isn't easy with tuna. Congrats!

Strickened with the ear funk, Sunday Sauce must go on without me.. The girl of all girls cooked up an impressive Cuban Feast..

We started with homemade chicken and cheese empanadas and homemade croquettes jamon.. These were fried perfectly in lard of course.. Very impressive..

Here is the plate on the table for four people.. Way too much in typical fashion..

gallery_15057_2056_537362.jpg

Here is the breakdown of the empandas...

First step:

gallery_15057_2056_843240.jpg

Second Step:

gallery_15057_2056_504409.jpg

Third Step: ?

Fourth Step:

Profit.. (Thats my South Park reference of the evening..)

Here were the second courses.. Served buffet style in there pots on another table in the dining room.. Counter Clockwise.. Boiled Yuca with a garlic sauce.. Ropa Vieja, Soaked and slow cooked black beans,picadillo over white rice..

Everything was awesome! What a great job she did making all of these dishes..

gallery_15057_2056_803343.jpg

A bowl of Cuban Bread of course..

gallery_15057_2056_1026691.jpg

For dessert.. Rice pudding and a rum cake..

gallery_15057_2056_91091.jpg

Great cake.. Dark rum is the only rum you can use for a cake.. Very good..

gallery_15057_2056_571308.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

My daughter had ear infections for years, as I did when I was a teen. I know how much they hurt. I Hope you are feeling better soon Daniel.

Dinner would certainly take your mind off of things for a little while.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

My daughter had ear infections for years, as I did when I was a teen. I know how much they hurt. I Hope you are feeling better soon Daniel.

Dinner would certainly take your mind off of things for a little while.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

On Sunday a few members of the family gathered from all over to country to enjoy:

Prime bone in rib-roast

gallery_21049_162_60403.jpg

Along with crab cakes, roasted pork loin, broccoli salad, potato gratin, potato salad, dhansak and a few other dishes I am sure I am forgetting.

gallery_21049_162_12526.jpg

The food seemed extra tasty due to the company

Friday - cooked T'giving for the Basilman and me. Ina Garten's "Perfect Roast Turkey" (whatever) stuffed with fresh thyme, onion, garlic, lemon - fennel, parnsnips, onions & carrots roasted on side. Doctored up store-bought stuffing with Jimmy Dean sage sausage and fresh sage and scallions. Smoked salmon and capered cream cheese on crackers to start. The Basilman fried up some VERY young venison and ate that instead of the turkey :angry: I cut all the breast meat off and threw the rest into a huge pot including the stuff in the cavity and cooked it all night and made nice stock. That morphed into turkey noodle soup Saturday night, with stuffing "matzoh balls" in the middle.

Yesterday I made white bean turkey chili and Jiffy cornbread mix - too sweet for me. The Basilman said cornbread is supposed to be sweet and I called him a damn yankee.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Susan,

How was that Turducken? I wanted to make one, but I wife did not like the idea  :sad:

It was OK. I would be interested to know if other brands do a better job, because overall it was a disappointment. However, as I posted in this Turducken thread, I don't regret having bought it. The novelty of it (even though they have been around since the 80's) was fun for us, and we got lots of laughs about it.

It came frozen with directions for cooking if totally thawed and for if it was still partially frozen. We went with the thawed directions and that made it slightly overdone. The thing weighed 15 pounds. Most of the meats were still moist, but I wouldn't go so far as to say juicy. Not surprising, there was more stuffing than anything and next most was turkey, chicken and duck in that order. The stuffing was terrible. On one side was a mushy bread stuffing that tasted like it was seasoned only with Cajun spices, and not good quality spices at that. The other side's stuffing had sausage in it, and its seasoning was too hot. The wings and legs of the turkey were still attached. The drumstick meat tasted good. The turkey, duck, and chicken were tasty, and put together, it was pretty.

Neither did my husband particularly like the idea, but since I was the sucker who impulsively went into the store and ordered it and paid for it, he didn't complain. :biggrin: