• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Everything here sounds so good.

I've been lurking alot on this forum, and here's my first stab at posting pictures here.

On Sunday, our second pumpkin was doomed. Last week, it was pumpkin soup. This week, about 2/3 of this guy went to the freezer for future use, while the remainder went into this lamb pumpkin stew:

gallery_20544_2100_11760.jpg

Today, it was chicken with broccoli and baby corn.

gallery_20544_2089_69014.jpg

gallery_20544_2089_20985.jpg

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Looks pretty freakin' good, Daniel.

Great first Dinner post, Karen - the beef with broccoli and baby corn is right up my alley, and that stew sounds great, too!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Chicken and Hutspot Cakes.

gallery_28832_1138_1920.jpg

Or, to use a slightly more honest terminology, Leftover Cakes. This meal was kinda out of control. Since I found egullet, I've been cooking more and more, and have gotten confident enough to start improvising a lot more too. Before egullet, I'd follow recipes to the letter, since any improvisation would result in utter disaster.

But now I'm feeling a tad more confident. I credit egullet. So, I heard that mashed potatoes could be fried up as some sort of mashed potato pancakes, and since I'd (very badly) made these Dutch mashed taters-carrots-onion-parsnip recipe, I figured I'd use that. And then I figured that hey, anything can be made into these cake-thingies.

So I made some chicken cakes from a leftover chicken breast (from a bbq'd ginger-garlic chicken) -- and went a little out of control on the breadcrumb filler... I got six big cakes out of a single chicken breast. But it tasted damn good, though, with onions and various spices. I just forgot about the celery, shoulda added that too, dang. I feel extremely frugal about that one -- I could feed an army on a single chicken with this thing, given enough breadcrumbs :smile:

The sauce was just basically just gravy -- tried to make it look like proper country gravy. Just drippings, butter and flour -- bechamel I guess. Milk, white wine, salt, pepper, cayenne. Oh and some rosemary. That's a great spice, that.

I wanna make more hutspot. It's just such a damn great name for a dish. Hutspot. Gimme some Hutspot Mit Klapstuk, biaatch. Unt eine tipee fur mein bunghole.

Actually, I think I've got some cornbeef leftover... Klapstuk here I come. Yeah.

Found a place near by the sells cuban bread.. Took roasted pork from yesterday, slice hamed, swiss cheese,pickles,and mustard.. Grilled the sandwich.. It was really good...

gallery_15057_2056_824686.jpg

Oh Sandwich, my sandwich. That is awesome.

Thanks, Megan. (Actually it was chicken. It was clean out the freezer night for me too!)

Daniel, where are those pics of the rest of the pig?

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Thanks, Megan. (Actually it was chicken.  It was clean out the freezer night for me too!)

Daniel, where are those pics of the rest of the pig?

Oh my god. It is SO chicken. I need more sleep.

I second the question on the pig's whereabouts. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I wanna make more hutspot. It's just such a damn great name for a dish. Hutspot. Gimme some Hutspot Mit Klapstuk, biaatch. Unt eine tipee fur mein bunghole.

Actually, I think I've got some cornbeef leftover... Klapstuk here I come. Yeah.

Yes, Grub, please make more Hutspot! I can't wait to see what you will do with the next batch of leftovers. Hutspot soup maybe? Hutspot au gratin? Hutspot filled ravioli? Ah the possibilities are endless.. :biggrin:

Fragata olives stuffed with anchovies (on the side of the tin: "They're Tastful!" - their spelling not mine) with a gin + tonic whilst the enormous cauliflower roasted. When nice + scorched, tossed it with rosemary, sultanas, toasted pine nuts, saffron, dried chili, garlic, olive oil, grated Parmesan + penne. Not at all beautiful, but delicious. I used chopped prunes last time I made this (no sultanas in the house) + they worked even better.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Pasta with celery root, smoked bacon, and pied de mouton mushrooms. Cream, and parmesan.

pastapied.jpg

salad with belgian endive, fuji apple, walnuts and a honey mustard dressing.

salademache.jpg

all ladled into indivudual bowls and eaten while watching Dogville on dvd. A perfect simple autumn dinner.

Chesnut Soup.. This is my girlfriends new favorite soup.. I had to shell two pounds of chestnuts.. Used pork stock, white wine, brandy and a little cream.. Blended it until smooth.. I thought it was very good.. But my two pointer fingers are raw from getting shells underneath my nails.. So I am still weighing the pros and cons :biggrin:

gallery_15057_2091_959981.jpg

This chicken recipe was from Scott Peacock.. I cut a chicken into 10 using the back and neck for flavor.. Cooked in butter.. Added celery and an onion.. Boiled with a couple cups of rice. It was this super chickeny comfort plate.. The taste of chicken was super strong and rich.. Had to serve with a slice of buttered Wonder Bread.. And some cold white wine..

gallery_15057_2091_749060.jpg

This dinner was supposed to be so many things.. From oyster stuffed duck to fried chicken.. Somewhere along the way I ended up with some turnips.. I baked in butter.. Then covered it with flour and milk.. It went well with the white comfort food..

gallery_15057_2091_42675.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Can't be more Cantonese than having a clay pot dish. This dish uses oyster, roast pork and tofu braised in a sauce made with chicken broth, brown bean sauce, oyster sauce and soy sauce in a clay pot.

gallery_19795_2103_25170.jpg

Recipe in here.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Beautiful dinner, Chufi! I can smell the pasta all the way from here (which, this week, means Florida, which is even further than usual!).

Queenie Takes Manhattan

A few days ago I decided to make Beef Satay, loosely following a recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

Beef marinating

gallery_21049_162_5393.jpg

Just out of the broiler

gallery_21049_162_122575.jpg

Plated with some peanut dipping sauce and papaya

gallery_21049_162_19957.jpg

Turned out pretty good...and quite easy to make.

Plus, the pan juices looked so good that I had to crack an egg in it. (Those on the Breakfast Thread will testify to my indulgence of eggs, perhaps as a rebellion against childhood restriction of them :laugh: )

gallery_21049_162_178434.jpg

gallery_21049_162_90941.jpg

gallery_21049_162_85581.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

A few days ago I decided to make Beef Satay, loosely following a recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

Beef marinating

gallery_21049_162_5393.jpg

[

What a great way to marinate your satays!! I usually do it in a container and the marinade doesn't completely cover the all the meat skewers.

And the finished product looks delish.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Last night's dinner consisted of:

Appetizers:

Fruit with cranberry dip

gallery_21049_162_44013.jpg

Baked Brie

gallery_21049_162_52818.jpg

Misc chips, pretzels, etc

Dinner:

Short ribs braised in demi glace with roasted shallots, shitake mushrooms, carrots, onion and garlic confit

gallery_21049_162_7765.jpg

Glazed spiral ham

gallery_21049_162_54954.jpg

Turkey

gallery_21049_162_56412.jpg

Misc stuffing, cranberry relish, buttered corn with red peppers, mashed potato, gravy, candied yams, rolls, etc

Dessert:

Pecan, Apple and pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream.

and I am sure I am forgetting a few dishes ...

gallery_21049_162_67356.jpg

This was our Thanksgiving dinner menu.

Hors d'oeuvres, with Korbel Sparkling Chardonnay:

Apricot Canapes (Maytag Blue and pistachios on dried apricots)

Fifi's Pickled Shrimp

Belgian Endive stuffed with homemade smoked fish (marlin) dip/spread

Soup, with Lois Gruner Veltliner:

Celery Root Bisque with Thyme

With a little Beaujolais Nouveau just to carry on the tradition and then Meridian Pinot Noir:

Tur-duc-hen!

Turkey, duck, and chicken gravy (made from a stock using turkey necks, and broths of duck and chicken made earlier :biggrin:) , but of course!

Mashed Potatoes with Chive Cream

Green Beans with Wild Mushrooms

Roasted Cauliflower

Sweet Corn Pudding

Spinach and Hearts of Palm Salad

Dessert, with Campbells Rutherglen Tokay and Noval Porto Special Reserve:

Brownie Cheesecake

We had company so I didn't take many pictures, and I didn't spend as much time photographing as I usually do like getting out the tripod and all that. I guess that's my excuse, for not being pleased with the quality of these.

The table, before nightfall:

gallery_13038_1949_152295.jpg

The appetizers:

gallery_13038_1949_45070.jpg

Turducken, just out of the oven:

gallery_13038_1949_39165.jpg

The main course:

gallery_13038_1949_163503.jpg

Our dessert, but the picture was taken (my breakfast) this morning:

gallery_13038_1949_31548.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I did not cook the Thanksgiving meal this year as we were invited to our fiends' house. I did, however, provide desserts. Can I, can I at least post them here since I don't have a gorgeous turkey to show? :smile:

The crowd was an international one, with only one American present, so I decided no one's expectations will be deceived if I do not deliver the traditional pumpkin or pecan pie. I did, however, want to keep at least some resemblance of my desserts with pies, so I made tarts :smile:.

Ginger cream tart with raspberries

GingerTart-vi.jpg

Tiramisu tart from The Pie Bible

Tiramisu-vi.jpg

Hazelnut caramel cheesecake

CaramelCheesecake-vi.jpg

I did not cook the Thanksgiving meal this year as we were invited to our fiends' house. I did, however, provide desserts. Can I, can I at least post them here since I don't have a gorgeous turkey to show? :smile:

Yes, please.

The crowd was an international one, with only one American present, so I decided no one's expectations will be deceived if I do not deliver the traditional pumpkin or pecan pie. I did, however, want to keep at least some resemblance of my desserts with pies, so I made tarts :smile:.

Beautiful, and delicious-looking, as always!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

percyn, I want that baked brie!! what a good idea to serve it with apples.

Alinka.. sigh.. those tarts are gorgeous. The hazelnut one is my favorite! could I get a slice of that please...

great looking Thanksgiving dinner Susan. Reading about the Thanksgiving dinners is so interesting to me. The same ingredients keep popping up, this really is a day for tradition isn't it? Something like that just does not exist over here. I think it's great..

Anyway here's what we had tonight: glorious bibimbap :smile:

bibimbap.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)