• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

I've been taking in the views of everyone's dinners, and in awe of all of them, and slacking off in giving shots of mine.

Back at it tonight...

gallery_13038_1949_73634.jpg

1st course plain and simple, and very delicious, we had wonderful prosciutto Parma and warm bread and butter.

gallery_13038_1949_34195.jpg

I found a tri-tip in Florida! Publix had some, and with it we enjoyed Rebel Rose's Gorgonzola Potatoes. That would be from Mary Baker's cookbook, Fresh From Dover Canyon. I also followed the idea of her Asparagus in White Truffle Oil, except no Prosciutto because we had that first off.

gallery_13038_1949_23599.jpg

Salad was avocado on mixed baby greens, tomatoes, etc. etc. etc.

gallery_13038_1949_72524.jpg

Dessert was some goodies I got at the bakery from the store where I got the prosciutto.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Catching up on some recent good dinners...

The Beaujolais Nouveau Dinner Thursday night:

gallery_13038_1949_165313.jpg

Another night we had pinto beans and spare ribs, oven cooked the Russ Parsons no-soak-ahead way, and kale.

gallery_13038_1949_122152.jpg

And another was Spaghettini with Potatoes, Sage, and Gorgonzola.

gallery_13038_1949_137105.jpg

Here is my main feature tonight: Lemon Chicken (Chinese style). Eat with lots of rice and some vegetables, of course.

I love Lemon Chicken. In China, Lemon Chicken is made with a whole chicken (skin and bones). In USA, most Lemon Chicken dishes are made with boneless chicken breasts only. In most of the Chinese restaurants that I ordered this dish, either they used too much batter, or that the lemon sauce had very little lemon flavor but lot of yellow coloring. I decided to make this with only a thin crust using corn starch, egg and breadcrumbs. The lemon sauce? Very simple... just use lemonade and reduce it, mix it with some real lemon juice and some sugar. Pour on top of the shallow-fried and chopped chicken.

gallery_19795_2084_15894.jpg

For a step-by-step pictorial instructions on how to make this dish, click here.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Late-autumn dinner party for 5:

Chuck roast, braised all day in the Crock-Pot with carrot, celery, onion and Herbes de Provence; Yukon Gold garlic mashed potatoes; my special Brussels sprouts with bacon and orange glaze. For dessert, chai-spiced rice pudding and warm Tom and Jerrys. Perfect. At one point, my friend looked up from her pot roast, closed her eyes, and said quietly, "Mmmm, I am so happy right now." Couldn't ask for better praise than that!

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

At one point, my friend looked up from her pot roast, closed her eyes, and said quietly, "Mmmm, I am so happy right now." Couldn't ask for better praise than that!

You are so right. That is the ultimate compliment. Don't you just love it when that happens... :smile:

Wow, Susan - those dinners look amazing. The salad made me salivate! :laugh:

Klary, hope you feel better soon - that meal did sound really good, and there's nothing worse than your food tasting off. :hmmm:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

still battling my cold so I can say I had an extremely lazy Sunday.. the only thing I did was cook a simple dinner for friends that were coming over..

starting with the last jar of terrine we brought back from France earlier this year, some gherkins and some Passensale cheese

terrine.jpg

I was inspired by snowangels Venison thread to make ome of my favorite braises, venison braised with port and beetroot

hert.jpg

on the plate with celeriac gratin with walnuts and gorgonzola, and pumpkin/potato mash with garlic and sage

hertbord.jpg

dessert: apple pie (shown after we had already devoured most of it :shock: )

appeltaart.jpg

Tonight we had what we alternately call burritos or fahitas because it contains ingrediants for Both. Skirt steak marinated with worster, lime and Franks hot sauce pan seared...sauteed portabello mushrooms and onions...fresh guacamole...raw onions...tomatoes...lettuce...refried beans...cheese...salsa and warm flour tortillas. Put this whole mess on the table and roll your own :wub:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Wow! Freezing gumbo does nothing but improve it, or at least so was the case for us tonight. Russ fixed dinner, which was heating up leftover frozen gumbo (which he made) from the end of July, and cooking rice and the fresh kale we still had on hand. This was wonderful! With it was Shiraz and the (last of the NASCAR season :sad:) race in Homestead, FL.

gallery_13038_1949_78929.jpg

Here it was the first time around! :smile:

the (last of the NASCAR season :sad:) race in Homestead, FL.

Diana and Paul mourned with chicken noodle soup and saltine crackers. I am celebrating because I will once again have a family on Sunday afternoons!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Tonight my little baby brother (ok, he's 23 and a good 9 inches taller, but whatever) came over for dinner. We had Klary's chicken braised in butter (DELICIOUS!!!), a leek, turnip and potato mash (good, not great - should have stuck with the parsnips!), and peas with butter. Pure comfort food.

I didn't get any pics of dinner (Jer likes to dig right in), but here's a photo of the potatoes I used in the mash...made a very successful visit to the farmer's market this afternoon!

gallery_26775_1623_155856.jpg

For dessert, I made the same apple tart I made for the puff pastry party a few weeks ago - Jer was feeling left out, because I made it when he was in Scotland, so I did it again (with some of the pastry I had frozen) and sent him home with the leftovers. Again, no pics, but here are the apples I used!

gallery_26775_2087_184018.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I’ve never made Paella at home. Recently my father-in-law returned from a business trip to Mexico with a nice Spanish, about 18 inch, cast iron Paella (the pan) for me. So today was the day, the in-laws came over and I made my first Paella ever. I used Paula Wolfert’s recipe from her wonderful “Slow Mediterranean Kitchen”. I just used Texas Redfish instead of Tuna. The dish also had mussels, shrimp and artichoke hearts.

gallery_5404_94_286634.jpg

The mise for the Paella: fish and shrimp, mussels (already steamed in white wine), the base sauce (tomato, saffron, ancho chile, smoked paprika and garlic), scallions, Bomba rice from Spain and the artichoke quarters.

gallery_5404_94_522503.jpg

....Just added the rice

gallery_5404_94_432767.jpg

I was a little concerned that the rice was no going to cook in time but it turned out stunning both visually and taste-wise, served in the middle of our dining table. I am happy to say that there was virtually no leftovers. I actually planned on taking a “bite” pic a la Daniel, but again I forgot :angry:.

Dessert: Savarin with rum and cinnamon spiked syrup and chocolate whipped cream. Served with extra Rum on the side....Divine!

gallery_5404_94_678390.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Awesome foodman!!! Such a great photo.. I would take a Texas Redfish over a tuna in paella any day..

Thank you! Tuna was way overpriced and of questionable quality. The redfish was cleaned and filleted the minute I picked it. I made the stock from the head and bones :smile:

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Here is my main feature tonight: Lemon Chicken (Chinese style).  Eat with lots of rice and some vegetables, of course.

I love Lemon Chicken. In China, Lemon Chicken is made with a whole chicken (skin and bones). In USA, most Lemon Chicken dishes are made with boneless chicken breasts only. In most of the Chinese restaurants that I ordered this dish, either they used too much batter, or that the lemon sauce had very little lemon flavor but lot of yellow coloring.  I decided to make this with only a thin crust using corn starch, egg and breadcrumbs.  The lemon sauce?  Very simple... just use lemonade and reduce it, mix it with some real lemon juice and some sugar.  Pour on top of the shallow-fried and chopped chicken. 

gallery_19795_2084_15894.jpg

For a step-by-step pictorial instructions on how to make this dish, click here.

Thanks for the pointers Leung,

Lemon chicken is one of my childhood favorite comfort foods.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I think that paella pic would make a great jigsaw puzzle!

DaleJ~

I have a program (BrainsBreaker) that makes jigsaw puzzles for your computer out of photos. I can send you this one if you'd like (anyone else who wants one, too, of course !). This one did come out very well :biggrin:

pm me....

Kathy

Friday night my sister came over to spend the night. We (she) made white pizzas with tapenade, garlic/rosemary/sage/red pepper flakes/olive oil, fontina, aged provolone, mozzarella, genoa salami and garlic-stuffed olives. Salty and garlicky! We had Sierra Nevadas and Beck's while we (she) made the pies, and some Pinot Grigio called Voga (?) in a cool bottle that looks like a bong.

Saturday night I didn't have anything :blink:

Last night I made hot Italian sausage and lentil soup from the latest Best American recipe book, with Italian bread topped with olive oil and melted provolone.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

No real "cooking" involved.

A coworker brought me a fresh dungeness crab he caught himself off point bonita. Surprising amount of meat on it! Last week the folks I buy mangos from at the farmers' market told me they were gone for the year. :sad: Figured I would introduce the mangos and crab while their seasons were briefly overlapping.

Thai style salad with first of the season dungeness crab and last of the season mangos.

Yum!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Took a bunch of chickenbones from the freezer and made some stock. Infused it with loads of chillies, lemon grass, ginger, garlic, galangal. Strained and added coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice. A creamy white soup that looked dull but had a great kick to it - lovely, fragrant and spicy.

Also on the table.. noodle salad with the leftovers from Saturdays roast chicken. Flavored with shallots, ginger, garlic, lime leaves, chillies. Loads of chillies. Lots of chopped mint and coriander. Extra chili paste added to the bowl while eating.

Now if all of that doesn't clear up my sinuses, I don't know what will :angry:

Last night I made one of my all time favorite soups:

Chestnut Soup with Armagnac Prunes.

I simplify the original recipe, and it is still outstanding. The house had this lovely mapley-woodsy smell to it.

Served with some rye toast and followed by some comte cheese.

Oh and Susan, the dark bread you were looking for (I think in the breakfast thread). Is it thinly sliced like the Mestermacher brand you buy here?

It's clean out the fridge night here! Dinner was penne with a quick sauce of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, onions, garlic, crushed red pepper, fresh basil and fresh chives. On the side, a salad of tomatoes, cucumbers and basil, with a champagne-shallot vinaigrette.

gallery_26775_1623_169783.jpg

gallery_26775_1623_19360.jpg

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan