• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Chicken & Chips!

gallery_18727_2039_95277.jpg

It's chicken under a brick. I got the recipe from America's Test Kitchen. The potatos are infused with a lovely schmaltzy flavour! beautiful.

For a sauce...

[massive food geek]

I must be the only person in the entire WORLD to have ever served Veloute three ways :hmmm::laugh::wub:.

[/massive food geek]

Accompanied with an Asparagus, Green Bean and Tomato Salad:

gallery_18727_2039_7305.jpg

Whisked some leftover chicken fat with some red wine vinegar, salt & pepper. Tossed in a bit of the pan drippings... mmm...

edit: For dessert, slices of juicy sweet watermelon, first of the season. Yum!

And for the balcony deprived among you:

gallery_18727_2039_6732.jpg

gallery_18727_2039_26005.jpg

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

Beautiful photos everyone...... everything looks simply mouth-watering. :wub:

Last night I made Beef Daube for the first time.

It wasn't pretty...... but after watching a show on the Food Network (the Canadian version no less!) I figured out what I did wrong and will try again in the next week or so.

I did make an amazing veggie-chickpea soup with smoked paprika a couple of days ago though, so perhaps that makes up for it.

Note to self.... must buy digital camera :laugh:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

This thread just keeps getting better!

Our dinner last night was a test recipe for Leite's Culinaria, Penne with Ricotta and Spinach, and -- with the last of the puff pastry from the fridge -- Tomato Tartlets. I'm not sure, but I think these little tomato tarts were what got the whole thing going about homemade puff pastry. In October, I used Pepperidge Farm! :biggrin:

gallery_13038_1949_5762.jpg

gallery_13038_1949_44985.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I was going to make white pizza for the Basilman, to celebrate the 12th anniversary of our first kiss - champagne, etc. A miserable commute home and a tired Basilman made me throw some prosciutto and fontina on a split roll, nuke it, sprinkle it with olive oil and pepper, open a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, a jar of garlic stuffed olives, and watch the Basilman sleep on the couch while I consumed my simple supper. Sigh. I guess the bloom is off the rose...

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Last evening, to accompany a longtime fave, Marcella Hazan's married potatoes, potatoes married to mozz, from her Marcella's Italian Kitchen, was shrimp with Marsala, a recipe from Mario Batali. Currants, pine nuts, capers, all supported the hit of Marsala very nicely, also made use of a tomato and basil and mint from the garden. Nice redleaf salad bracingly dressed with Balsamic and olive oil, and part of a foccacia I had made the other day. Rosemont Shiraz-Cabernet.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Last evening, to accompany a longtime fave, Marcella Hazan's married potatoes, potatoes married to mozz, from her Marcella's Italian Kitchen,

Priscilla:

Is that like a potato cake? Please explain. I have all of Marcella's books except that one. Thanks.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Last evening, to accompany a longtime fave, Marcella Hazan's married potatoes, potatoes married to mozz, from her Marcella's Italian Kitchen,

Priscilla:

Is that like a potato cake? Please explain. I have all of Marcella's books except that one. Thanks.

Hee this is funny. I couldn't find an online source for the recipe, but in searchng for an eG reference, Basilgirl, I found that we'd been here before, a little more than 2 years ago! Hee hee. It was in Varmint's potato topic, and Heather chimed in as well.

Such a good dish bears serial revisiting. I like that particular Marcella book, too, although of course they are all beyond worthwhile. The eG link has a summary of the dish, but I would be happy to PM you the recipe from the book.

Priscilla

After much raving about Chicago's Lou Malnatti pizza by a Chicago native coworker of mine, we decided to order a few by mail. I got mine last night, one pepperoni and one sausage. Cooked the pepperoni up and the verdict....

Not worth it.

The sausage one is still in the freezer to be cooked at a future date

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Last evening, to accompany a longtime fave, Marcella Hazan's married potatoes, potatoes married to mozz, from her Marcella's Italian Kitchen, was shrimp with Marsala, a recipe from Mario Batali.  Currants, pine nuts, capers, all supported the hit of Marsala very nicely, also made use of a tomato and basil and mint from the garden.  Nice redleaf salad bracingly dressed with Balsamic and olive oil, and part of a foccacia I had made the other day.  Rosemont Shiraz-Cabernet.

Hey, that's the shrimp dish I made a few days ago :biggrin: . I thought it was a little too one dimensional in flavor though, needed some garlic and maybe a little acidity.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Last evening, to accompany a longtime fave, Marcella Hazan's married potatoes, potatoes married to mozz, from her Marcella's Italian Kitchen, was shrimp with Marsala, a recipe from Mario Batali.  Currants, pine nuts, capers, all supported the hit of Marsala very nicely, also made use of a tomato and basil and mint from the garden.  Nice redleaf salad bracingly dressed with Balsamic and olive oil, and part of a foccacia I had made the other day.  Rosemont Shiraz-Cabernet.

Hey, that's the shrimp dish I made a few days ago :biggrin: . I thought it was a little too one dimensional in flavor though, needed some garlic and maybe a little acidity.

Hee hee sorry Elie! I did note your gorgeous photo but yesterday did not twig to the fact that it was the same exact. And, my shrimp had already lost their heads, unfortunately. (FM post about the shrimp dish.)

I agree, it is a bit mild -- but I had a goodly dose of garlic in my married potatoes and that suited me at the time. Good dish, though, good-looking, fresh and light -- I was thinking that made with tiny shrimp it would be a great bruschetta topping for a starter. Filed that one away. I also thought a finely chopped jalapeno in there would not go amiss in future. I cooked the veg a bit more than Mario's cryptic directions indicated, and allowed the Marsala to reduce quite a bit, to intensify the flavors.

Priscilla

We needed a quick dinner tonight, as it was ballet/tap class for my daughter until 5:30.

This morning, I threw some chicken thighs and legs into the crock pot and doused them with a couple of cups of my homemade BBQ sauce. I meant to cook them on low after an initial shot on high, but forgot to turn them down. It actually worked out quite well, yielding some yummy and vinegary pulled chicken that fell off the bone.

We accompanied them with cheesy rice and a bowl of cucumbers tossed with Brianna's blush wine vinaigrette and cracked black pepper.

Not bad for zero effort, and the (almost) four-year-old ate every component.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

So this morning I browned some short ribs and placed in the left over stock from last nights Sichuan Hot Pot.. Placed the meat and the liquid in a covered pot in the oven at 200... Let it cook for about 10 hours.. When I came back it was melty and awesome.. Stuffed the meat into the pasta making raviolis.. added some bok choy.. It was great..

Ravioli's...

gallery_15057_1168_698311.jpg

Bite:

gallery_15057_1168_875884.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

And I thought I was the only renegade who added bok choy to tortellini in brodo---sacrilege! That one looks Absobloomin' lovely!!

All today's dinners are beautiful. And the photography is getting SO pro. Our dinner was a quick, pickup one, after Chris had a huge lunch at Shapiro's today. He brought a loaf of their glorious seedy rye, and we each had a had buttered slice alongside some warmed leftover BBQ chicken and some celery stuffed with pineapple-mascarpone. Kettlecorn and an icy diet Pepper for dessert with LOST.

I declare this the official start of summer!

Asparagus soup with yogurt and croutons:

gallery_18727_2044_53708.jpg

Home-made Tagliatele with a Marinara sauce.

gallery_18727_2044_23175.jpg

The sauce was some shallots, garlic & chilli slow cooked in this season's Australian olive oil (picked just 3 months ago, yowza, the taste is incredible!). Some beautiful tomatos tossed in at the last second. Then, topped with some buffalo pecorino and some maldon sea salt flakes. Thank you random egulleteer who told me you could freeze fresh pasta, it came out perfect!

Dessert:

gallery_18727_2044_40117.jpg

Anyone jealous yet? :rolleyes:

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

Shal, where's the meat or is that a dumb question??

Nice pics though.

I did a similar sauce not long ago for pasta, but cooked the tomatoes from the start to almost puree consistency... mounted with butter, couldn't resist, and ate. then had a second serving mounted with EVOO.

Then had to have a porterhouse with asparagus.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

That just looks lovely.. If given the choice of having a bite of donut or a sip of cafe, i would be happy with either..

Small note on that: the cappuccino semifreddo is actually a frozen mousse-type thing -- extremely light and soft even then, not at all like an ice cream -- that is made mostly of beaten egg whites, beaten egg yolks, sugar, whipped cream and espresso all folded into one another, then popped in the freezer to set. Right before serving, it's topped with steamed/foamed milk. I think the contrast in temperatures and the unexpected nature of the "coffee" under the foam really makes this an interesting dessert.

-Dayne aka TallDrinkOfWater

###

"Let's get down to business. For the gin connoisseur, a Martini garnish varies by his or her mood. Need a little get-up-and-go?---lemon twist. Wednesday night and had a half-tough day at the office?---olive. Found out you're gonna have group sex with Gwen Stefani and Scarlett Johansson at midnight?---pour yourself a pickled onion Gibson Martini at 8:00, sharp." - Lonnie Bruner, DC Drinks