• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Elie, I second Daniel's comment, that looks absolutely delcious. Have you put the calzone recipe in RecipeGullet?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Elie, I second Daniel's comment, that looks absolutely delcious.  Have you put the calzone recipe in RecipeGullet?

And I third it! That looks amazing...please post the recipe! :wub:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I am blushing!

Seriously though I never really use a recipe. I will go ahead and post a rough recipe in Recipe Gullet though. I'll post here once I do.

Edit: BTW, The homemade Ricotta is really important unless you have access to some good quality crumbly ricotta, not the supermarket grainy watery stuff. I will post a recipe for that too, which is actually based on instructions I got from one of the eG threads :biggrin: .

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

yum that looks like such a perfect meal for today's stormy seattle weather! beautiful. I'm a fan of making your own ricotta also, it is very simple and I like the texture much better. I'll be interested to see how you do your Elie.

I've got nothing to compete with those beautiful calzones, but I coincidentally also made calzones a few nights ago and found a nice filling mixture which I'll use again.

(To fill one small 7" diameter calzone)

1/4c roasted eggplant, roughly pureed

1/4c ricotta (sadly mine was store-bought)

1 egg white

handful grated mozz for gooeynees

few dashes smoked paprika

The egg white helps to bind everything so it doesn't get too runny. I love the taste of roasted eggplant so this was a flavorful yet light filling. To make it heartier I might add cooked cubed or ground lamb. Yum!

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Tonight:

For me, hanger steak with Maldon salt and haricots verts with butter and balsamic reduction

For my spouse, fried panko-crusted chicken livers with spicy tomato sauce and a salad with bleu cheese dressing

Tomorrow night:

Spice-rubbed pork loin with apples, kraut and a Calvados-spiked pan sauce

Mashed potatoes, maybe

Sunday lunch:

Cuban-style sandwich with the leftover pork, which is the whole point of tomorrow's dinner.

gallery_2_4_101455.jpg

Breaded Chicken Cutlets seasoned with sweet paprika, with Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Apple tossed in Bacon Grease, and Mushroom Spaetzle a la Andre Soltner.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Friday night date night at home

started with gingerini's, marinated olives and Point Reyes Blue with caars crackers

Then we made the veal chops stuffed with chorizo, leek, spinach and fontina out of last months F&W. served with mashed sweet potatoes with sage. 2001 Witness Tree Pinot Noir Select in the glass

59907664_a54992f8f7.jpg

15 gallons of red gravy for the "trout club" spag. dinner tomorrow night. After that I had no desire to eat.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Foodman any chance you would post the recipe for that soup. It looks warm and comforting.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Really cool pics spaghetttti. One of my students was out of class for the breaking of the fast, she was telling me about some of the food her family eats for the celebration. Your pics brought it to life.

Daniel when am I invited for dinner =)

Really cool pics spaghetttti. One of my students was out of class for the breaking of the fast, she was telling me about some of the food her family eats for the celebration. Your pics brought it to life.

Daniel when am I invited for dinner =)

When you bring your lazy self cross the bridge.. I am cooking for the parentals this evening , you are more then invited..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Wow what a great run of great-looking, delicious-sounding dinners. And, I am SO making my own ricotta just as soon as Elie posts his recipe.

Last evening, chicken butterflied and stuffed under the skin with sauteed onion, lowly boughten ricotta, fresh cooked spinach, hit of Parmigiano, s & p, breath of cayenne & nutmeg. Oh, breadcrumbs and an egg in there too.

Basted with schmaltz while roasting, and then removed to rest and cubed parboiled potatoes put in the pan to take advantage of the drippings while crisping up a little.

A little bacon cooked, sliced crimini mushrooms cooked in the bacon fat, nice little head of organic frisee from Whole Foods coarsely chopped and turned in the mixture briefly over heat, s & p, hit of Balsamic.

Seedy flatbread I'd made earlier. Sangiovese the guy at the wine store had recommended for Thursday's braised lamb shanks and saffron risotto.

The rich leftover sauce from those shanks is intended for tonight's pappardelle, followed by little rib chops fried in Parmigiano crust as per Marcella Hazan and a nice salad. At least that is the plan, unless the pasta gets hexed by this premention. Seedy LBB baguette. Nero D'Avola.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Wendy, sweet potatomash with sage, what a great idea. That's on the menu here soon I think!

yetty, those eggplants look beautiful.. could you tell me more about the recipe, what's it called?

more Dutch fare over here..

Musselsoup:

gallery_21505_1968_55269.jpg

and smoked eel rolls:

gallery_21505_1968_51231.jpg