• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

had 4 tiny meatballs and garlic bread with melted mozz....followed by a granola bar dipped in canned cream cheese icing ...I feel like a lean cuisine commercial 'cept I did make the meatballs.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

yesterday i ate a big bowl of balsamic roasted shallots that i put over some greens (i love roasted onions), then a bunch of mallowcreme pumpkins that my mum sent me- the only halloween candy i look forward to

tonight chinese 'longevity' noodles with bean sprouts and peanuts

To make up for last night's meal, I made pomodro sauce with pasta. I love the weekend.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Friday night Happy Hours... JUNK FOOD!!

Out in a couple of bars... beer, wine, popcorn, and onion rings. Take out from the Publix Deli at home... beer, wine, fried chicken, and half a sub.

gallery_13038_1949_21127.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Cape Breton Malpeque oysters on half-shell dressed with roasted chile oil and a few strands of lime zest.

Family style:

Shaved bonito congee with prawn balls, pork and mushroom balls, scallion ribbons.

Char siu (bbq pork).

Green-lipped mussels with shoyu.

Three kinds of kimchi: bok choy, Chinese chives, winter water pickle (dongchimi).

How many people were you serving Jinmyo? Everything sounds like I wish you took pictures, what was your favorite kimchi..

Crispy Gloucester Old Spot pork belly, pomme puree, buttery cabbage, reduced poaching liquid.

gallery_8259_153_158475.jpg

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

MobyP, that pork belly looks so good... Makes me want to grab it off the plate and sink my teeth in it, I can almost taste it.

So I finally got around to making lasagna that I've been craving since last week. I've tried several lasagna recipes over the past few years, including those with bechamel, vegetarian ones, etc. In the end, my favorite recipe still comes from my very first cookbook - Betty Crocker's. Nothing beats it in the cheesiness department :smile:.

Lasagnalarge-vi.jpg

Thursday night, not last night, I had a Ling moment, and had my latest experiment in baguette (nothing at all like a baguette, really, but it still tasted good. I am quite a novice at bread) with this really really dense chocolate pudding I had leftover smeared on top with a spoon (Mario Batali Babbo cookbook Chocolate and Valpolicella Crema made with Scharffen Berger and Callebaut--this stuff is like hard cream cheese in consistency). Bread and chocolate for dinner...the perks (or sad side, I suppose) of being a single girl :laugh:

The night before, I had some more of that bread, hot out of the oven, with Normandy-style butter and cave-aged Gruyère. I suppose that's a bit more acceptable :wink:

One day my bread will be cute enough to show you, but for now, I'll keep it private :laugh:

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

But Deborah, you neglected to mention the gourmet fare that sustained us at last night's hockey game: a hot dog each, a shared Coke and the poorest excuse for a hot pretzel that both you and I have ever encountered. Not even salvageable by mustard. :blink::laugh:

Mind you, we compensated for that later that evening at my house with a picnic of nibblies shared between you, me, Ian and peppyre. Glasses of Veuve Cliquot followed by Sumac Ridge sparkling Blanc de Noirs when the Veuve ran out. Slices of Salumi salami... two kinds: smoked paprika and fennel. Saint Agur and monterey jack cheeses. La Panzanella croccantini and Waterthins Pepper and Chive wafer crackers (my new favourite thing). Last but not least, chunks of a Scharffenberger Mocha Bar.

I love how things just come falling out of the cupboard when you least expect it. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

not much cooking going on her lately unfortunately.. Wedensday I had a bad piza for dinner.. thursday I ate frites and mayo while walking to the hospital to visit my dad who just had hip surgery.. Friday I had a wine tasting for dinner (and some very good beef stew afterwards at a friends' house)

Tonight I made Chili for the chili cook-off.

picture here

And there'll be chocolate to eat while watching tv later on. :smile:

Postscript: Let it be known that the monterey jack cheese was for Deborah's benefit... she's in the process of developing her stinky-cheese palate. I was going to put out some Délice de Bourgogne but thought better of it. You're getting there Deborah... I know you liked the Gruyère that I gave you! :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Patrick S is smiling tonight. We had some hot and spicy Texas chili and vanilla bean cake for dessert.

gallery_23736_355_9210.jpg

gallery_23736_355_906.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I've been feeling a bit lethargic this week and needed a pick-me-up, so I made my mother's lamb soup last night:

First I sauteed some chopped onions and ginger in oil, then browned the lamb. I added water to cover:

gallery_19909_1956_62585.jpg

Three chopped tomatoes, and the rest of the onions and ginger ready to be added to the pot:

gallery_19909_1956_90073.jpg

Veggies added, along with salt and crushed peppercorns:

gallery_19909_1956_37133.jpg

I let the soup simmer for a while, like 45 minutes. All finished; you can see how much liquid the tomatoes released:

gallery_19909_1956_48629.jpg

In the bowl - mmmmm:

gallery_19909_1956_35196.jpg

And today my sister made Sweet-and-Sour Butternut Squash with Ginger and Chiles from Indian Home Cooking by Saran/Lyness:

gallery_19909_1956_99652.jpg

I'm still unfamiliar with photographing my cooking, and I like documenting the steps like this as I go along. How do you like it, though? Are you interested to see dishes at intermediate steps, or do you like seeing pictures of just the final products?

I forgot my camera might get pics sent tomorrow, but....dinner was a 36 pound whole roasted pig stuffed with hot sausage, apples, and walnuts, an 8 pound pork butt (just in case) served with hot german potato salad, sour kraut, red cabbage, penne with vodka sauce, and grilled pineapple with a maple chile caramel sauce.

Dessert followed with german chocolate cake doused liberally with Kirsch, chocolate cake dressed up like a pumpkin, apple brandy cake with powdered sugar, and pumpkin pie. Washed down with much oktoberfest beer and 2 whole bottles of Jaegermeister.

I made the butt, some guacamole, and the pineapple, but drank no Jaegermeister.

tracey

oh yeah 14 people

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Good thing I remembered to add the parsley, or I think this would end up in the Dinner II thread...:wink:

Weird riff on tuna casserole: Linguine with a sauce of sautéed sweet onion, tarragon, tuna (yes, from a can! and it's not Italian even! don't hurt me!), deglazed with a splash of sherry, added capers and finished with cream I had leftover from other things. Must pay more attention to drips on the plate :rolleyes:

PA290012.jpg

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Good thing I remembered to add the parsley, or I think this would end up in the Dinner II thread...:wink:

:biggrin: I know what you mean. We did the same thing last night, only it was sliced scallion we used for the pasta's garnish. I'll find out soon if it did any good... I haven't even looked at last night's photos yet.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

We made a very "re-Mexicanized" Chili last night as part of the Chili Cook-Off.

gallery_2_4_48034.jpg

Served over skillet cornbread:

gallery_2_4_24572.jpg

This is composed of tomatoes, tomatillo, white beans, corn, onion, red bell pepper, ground lamb, ground turkey, and ground pork, with fresh serrano, fresh jalepeno, dried New Mexico, dried chopped chipotle, and powdered guajillo and morita chipotle. dried oregano. And some mole paste. coriander seed. thyme. and garlic. Hit of vinegar. Lime and Habanero hot sauce to taste.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

[...]I'm still unfamiliar with photographing my cooking, and I like documenting the steps like this as I go along.  How do you like it, though?  Are you interested to see dishes at intermediate steps, or do you like seeing pictures of just the final products?

Intermediate steps are great!

But most importantly, did you feel better after eating the soup?

Michael aka "Pan"

Patrick S is smiling tonight. We had some hot and spicy Texas chili and vanilla bean cake for dessert.

gallery_23736_355_9210.jpg

gallery_23736_355_906.jpg

Gorgeous. The cake looks like it has a little sunshine trapped inside, put in together with other ingredients :smile:.

:biggrin::raz: