• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Hey thanks Susan, that was some meal you had the other night..

Megan, I think you might have a photo studio in your apartment, complete with umbrellas... Your shots are always really nice, what camera do you use.. The biggest light source in my place at night is normally candles and I end up killing my food with the flash..

Had a look at my camera - it's a Sony CyberShot 3.2!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Last night on the way home I went to the bigger seafood market of my two favorites, having decided that I was going to buy what looked best to me... fresh, and frozen included. I passed up lots of frozen lobster tails and Dungeonus crabs [i can't spell right now], and Alaskan king crab legs, etc.

I bought fresh sushi-grade yellowfin tuna and local clams, and put together a seared tuna and pasta dish with uncooked puttanesca-style sauce with clams. I made a salad, too. The photographing was significant in that, with Russ's encouragement, I tried Megan Blocker's style of photography and used one of those 3-tier reading lights on the food. It is so dark at dinner time now. :sad: Some still turned out yellow, and others turned out quite well.

gallery_13038_1496_205781.jpg

I must say I did like this salad picture using Megan's method.

gallery_13038_1496_147801.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Last night on the way home I went to the bigger seafood market of my two favorites, having decided that I was going to buy what looked best to me... fresh, and frozen included.  I passed up lots of frozen lobster tails and Dungeonus crabs [i can't spell right now], and Alaskan king crab legs, etc.

I bought fresh sushi-grade yellowfin tuna and local clams, and put together a seared tuna and pasta dish with uncooked puttanesca-style sauce with clams.  I made a salad, too.  The photographing was significant in that, with Russ's encouragement, I tried Megan Blocker's style of photography and used one of those 3-tier reading lights on the food.  It is so dark at dinner time now.  :sad: Some still turned out yellow, and others turned out quite well.

gallery_13038_1496_205781.jpg

I must say I did like this salad picture using Megan's method.

gallery_13038_1496_147801.jpg

Susan, that pasta looks and sounds amazing. WOW. Glad you liked the lighting method - I too find it more and more necessary with it getting dark earlier and earlier (it was practically pitch black when I got home at 6:30 today).

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Susan: I'm with you - I am a pretty prolific baker (bread, brownies, cookies, pies, tarts), but I have yet to tackle puff pastry.  If you do decide to take it on, I'd love to hear all about it!

For both you and Susan:

I found that the quick puff pastry recipe from Julia Child (Julia Child and Company) is great. VERY easy to make.. I don't know if either of you have acess to that recipe, but it is worth looking it up.

had a mess of wax beans from the farmers market on sunday so i cooked them all. some i sauteed with some garlic the rest blanced so i can freeze in appropriate amounts.

the sauteed ones went with some fettucini, onions,garlic, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, parsley and black olives. also served a yellow tomato with aged asiago shaved over the tomato and evoo and balsamic vinegar.

served a pinot grigio with the dinner.

leftovers will be dinner/lunch for the next two days.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

while I was out of town this weekend I told the man to go to the farmers market and buy what he thought looked good and I would cook around it, he bought the cutest haricots verts!!

So out of the Bouchon cookbook I made the trout with haricots vert, almonds and brown butter. made some Israeli cous cous for a side

gallery_16100_231_32163.jpg

A salad of mixed greens, bacon and roasted hazlenuts (from my trip) went with

gallery_16100_231_233130.jpg

Dayne took the pictures tonight, I think they turned out great!!

oh and a pinot noir rose called Glass by JK Carriere in the glass......

Given what we've seen of your cooking skills, I don't think your fear is well-founded. You'd knock it out of the park. It does take some time, but you'll be amazed by how great puff pastry made with butter tastes. For a much quicker but still delicious, all-butter, puff pastry approximation, you could try 'rough puff.'

Wow, thank you for the vote of confidence. The words "made with butter" about pastry also got to me... I'll give it a try. Oh my, I said that publicly. :shock:

Susan: I'm with you - I am a pretty prolific baker (bread, brownies, cookies, pies, tarts), but I have yet to tackle puff pastry.  If you do decide to take it on, I'd love to hear all about it!

For both you and Susan:

I found that the quick puff pastry recipe from Julia Child (Julia Child and Company) is great. VERY easy to make.. I don't know if either of you have acess to that recipe, but it is worth looking it up.

Megan, at least you have baking skills going for you! :smile:

And thanks for that idea. I thought I had Julia Child and Company among my Julia books, but it is the -with Master Chefs one. Anyway, I'll settle on one of these easy recipes, and will report back.

Cheese course

Halibut with mushroom Orzo, topped with fried leeks, fried parsley and Portobello foam

Apple Carmel ice-cream

Oh my... :wub: He sure is back. :smile:

while I was out of town this weekend I told the man to go to the farmers market and buy what he thought looked good and I would cook around it, he bought the cutest haricots verts!!

So out of the Bouchon cookbook I made the trout with haricots vert, almonds and brown butter. made some Israeli cous cous for a side

Dayne took the pictures tonight, I think they turned out great!!

Congrats to you both! I was just thinking I would comment to you about that picture of your plated dinner when I read that Dayne photographed it. :wink:

A quick browse through the soup thread left me with some serious craving. So, soup it is. Pea mint.

That looks really good! Was it hot or chilled?

Last night we pulled from our fridge alllll the leftovers and set them on the counter, and each of us picked what we wanted. I had the mashed potatoes & celery root, the lentil & celery root salad, and some of the salmon pate' (with chopped raw onions on top). Russ had chicken and the pasta; for a pasta sauce he used the mushroom mixture and a dab of some unidentified sauce. I drank Chardonnay and he drank Zinfandel. :biggrin:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Can I come play??

I made butternut squash soup in the crockpot and beer bread. Served with a bottle of 2000 Bedell Cellars Cupola that Michael received as a gift for speaking at a conference.

gallery_19707_1686_83893.jpg

I topped the soup with a dollop of Total Greek yogurt. All Dylan ate was bread and the yogurt.

gallery_19707_1686_207832.jpg

For dessert, we had Appenzeller cheese with more of the wine.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Dinner tonight was a bowl of pasta - pure comfort food for the chilly, rainy weather. Cavatappi with chicken and a quick sauce of balsamic vinegar, chicken stock, garlic, onions and basil. Topped with some fresh parlsey. Yum.

gallery_26775_1623_316027.jpg

All Dylan ate was bread and the yogurt.

gallery_19707_1686_207832.jpg

How precious - your daughter is adorable - and a great eater, too! :wink:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Dinner ended up in the Gallery Of Regrettable Food. Don't ask.

Dessert, however, fared much better: Bosc pears poached in brandy, water, and Splenda, then the sauce reduced to a couple tbsp, and a dollop of vanilla yogurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. It was just wonderful.

gallery_15557_1141_11929.jpg

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Dinner and Tasting to mark the release of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2005

with Kevin Judd, Cloudy Bay's Chief Winemaker/Managing Director.

http://www.kevinjudd.co.nz/

http://www.cloudybay.co.nz/home_fr.html

At Cambridge Wine http://www.cambridgewine.com/

Only blurry cellphone pictures by candlelight I'm afraid, but quite an evening, including Cloudy Bay wines not usually available. Kevin and his wife Kimberley are siting at the head of the table.

gallery_7620_135_5090.jpggallery_7620_135_10676.jpg

Food:

Truffled Roast Pumpkin Soup with sourdough crouton

(My contribution: see http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1030261 )

Chicken poached with morel, pancetta and wholegrain mustard

Herbed Bulgar wheat

Mixed leaf salad

Creme Brulee with Blackberries

Cheeses

Wines (all Cloudy Bay):

Pelorus Vintage

Sauvignon Blanc 2005

Te Koko 2002

Chardonnay 2003

Gewurztraminer 2003

Pinot Noir 2003

Late Harvest Riesling 2002

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Dinner and Tasting to mark the release of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2005

with Kevin Judd, Cloudy Bay's Chief Winemaker/Managing Director.

Wines (all Cloudy Bay):

Pelorus Vintage

Sauvignon Blanc 2005

Te Koko 2002

Chardonnay 2003

Gewurztraminer 2003

Pinot Noir 2003

Late Harvest Riesling 2002

Oooohh, I'm jealous - I love Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc.

We, sadly, didn't have time to cook due to dance class. But, we went out for bibimbap, so I was happy regardless.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

A quick browse through the soup thread left me with some serious craving. So, soup it is. Pea mint.

That looks really good! Was it hot or chilled?

It was hot.

I topped the soup with a dollop of Total Greek yogurt. All Dylan ate was bread and the yogurt.

And she really enjoyed it! What a cutie-pie :smile:.

When I read Chufi's story about what she had for lunch yesterday, for some reason it made me so nostalgic for my childhood food (by the way, pancakes are also eaten for dinner in Russia, and also eggs, omletes, hot cereals)... So I made borsch, the way mom used to make it, not very thick, and without beets (no matter, I did not have any anyway :smile:). The borsch I cook is more traditional: thicker and more filling, with meat. Mom's version is much lighter, with crispier cabbage and lots of bay leaf, dill and parsley. When I opened the lid after letting it sit for a while, there it was - the warm aroma from my childhood! (I've noticed I've been cooking a lot of Russian food lately - is it time to go home for a visit? :biggrin:)

Borsch1-vi.jpg

It's eaten with sour cream, rye bread, and (preferably) fresh garlic and salo (salted pork fat). Well, no bread or SALO, so I just had a little sour cream :smile:.

Borsch1-vi.jpg

It's eaten with sour cream, rye bread, and (preferably) fresh garlic and salo (salted pork fat). Well, no bread or SALO, so I just had a little sour cream :smile:.

WOW. That is truly beautiful, Alinka. Sounds delicious - and what a great shot!

Queenie Takes Manhattan