• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Welcome home, Wendy. Yummm..... You came back in style!

My camera has stayed alive and well for a while longer, I guess. So at least temporarily, I'm back to picture taking.

Last night's dinner, first night home from California:

gallery_13038_1496_142028.jpg

Roasted Lemongrass Chicken featured lemongrass from our backyard. To go with it, I made a broccoli stir-fry generally following this recipe, but using regular broccoli -- love that Thai yellow bean sauce -- and Jasmine rice cooked the Hot Sour Salty Sweet way.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Belgian endive, fourme d'ambert and pine nut tart.

witloftaart.jpg

It was incredibly good.. belgian endive is one of my favorite vegetables and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare it.. this one's a winner. Very quick and easy, too.

Edited by Chufi (log)

last night john wanted shrimps and i had wild and brown rices to use up so -

vegetable stir fry with shallots, onion, red and green peppers, peas and of course drizzled with some dark sesame oil

shrimp dusted with some sugar, salt and pepper then into a hot skillet for 2 minutes, turn and let cook 30 seconds more. out of the pan and throw in some minced shallots and leek. saute about 30 seconds, deglaze with some shaosin wine and pour over the shrimp.

also made some sweet and sour meatballs with some buffalo i had thawed.

had picked up some seaweed salad at the supermarket.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

After reading the talk about steak au poivre and the arrival of my french fry cutter, I could no longer hold out.. We also had an lemon dijon endive salad with roquefort and candied pecans..

gallery_15057_1519_907088.jpg

Steak au poivre.. I made it from the epicurious.. It had fennel, I added pink peppercorns and used Brandy instead of Cognac.. Used a Hangar Steak..

gallery_15057_1519_566227.jpg

Made garlic and parsley fries.. Everything was really good.. Would not repeat the recipe however.. The fries were awesome, the steak was medium rare.. The sauce was great but an average au poivre.

gallery_15057_1519_505808.jpg

For dessert I had coffee with bittersweet chocolate a la Pierre H. and added sambuca...Basically a half ounce of bittersweet melted into a cup of coffee with sambuca..

gallery_15057_1519_55781.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Salumi's stuff?? Where are you getting it Behemoth?? I love the oregano....but my cheese guy didn't have it. Have you had the mole??? YUM!

A store in Champaign imports it. They guy who owns it also owns a restaurant next door. He worked for Mario Batali for a while. I haven't tried the mole but I guess I will now :smile:

First time posting in this thread, first time posting photos...

A tale of two soups in one bowl:  roasted tomato vs. roasted yellow pepper w. a chile cream garnish.

<snip>

Crab cakes with chipotle mayo and micro greens. 

<snip>

Nice Soup and Crabcake g-man.

I too made some crabcakes for dinner along with trying to finish some of the leftovers that were created during my blog this past week.

gallery_21049_162_85580.jpg

gallery_21049_162_75734.jpg

gallery_21049_162_64563.jpg

Enjoyed with some

gallery_21049_162_76113.jpg

Cheers

Percy

gallery_13038_1496_8560.jpg

gallery_13038_1496_46828.jpg

Tonight I went to the markets and a new bakery and bought the fish that was freshest, and the produce and other ingredients that looked best, and came home and put it together. The only thing planned ahead was to make a rice salad with leftover rice from last night.

Dinner turned out to be potato & garlic crusted mahi; sunburst squash, zucchini, and baby carrots cooked in chicken stock with a splash of verjuice at the end; the rice salad with arugula, scallions, Kalamata olives, pine nuts, etc.; and bread & butter; with little fresh apple tarts for dessert.

Sometimes when we plan to be spontaneous :biggrin: it works out very well. It was all good.

Belgian endive, fourme d'ambert and pine nut tart.

witloftaart.jpg

It was incredibly good.. belgian endive is one of my favorite vegetables and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare it.. this one's a winner. Very quick and easy, too.

This looks amazing. Did you caramelize the endive first or put them in raw?

I haven't posted here in a while as I was on vacation: Montreal

but tonight we were back in the kitchen. After a brief stop at my favorite cheese shop which is carrying Salumi salumi now we made a little snack

Forgive me if you've already mentioned this, but what is your favorite cheese shop?

Robin Tyler McWaters

Last evening nice little chicken which had been butterflied and salted & peppered and left in the fridge for a few days, then cooked in a hot oven, a little bastage. Spring mix salad bracingly dressed for the chicken to land upon, and baguette from the Vietnamese baker. Rose of Bergerac.

The night before, late, everybody ravenous, perfect time for cheeseburgers ground from tri-tip, which makes excellent, minerally-juicy burgers. Tomato from the garden, thin-sliced onion, the rest of the usual suspects. Honey-Dijon Kettle Chips.

Stray word edited out.

Edited by Priscilla (log)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

The spike cake recipe from the Cake Bible with a big ol glass of milk..

gallery_15057_1393_394095.jpg

I need a glass of milk after looking at that! How did you likethe recipe?

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Forgive me if you've already mentioned this, but what is your favorite cheese shop?

The Cheese Cellar in the Fisher Plaza on Denny. They have added tons of new things like oils, salts, chocolates, SALUMI, etc!

:biggrin:

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

I need a glass of milk after looking at that! How did you likethe recipe?

I liked it a lot.. Its a classic chocolate cake, exactly what I was looking for.. Interesting putting the brown sugar into the cake.. The icing was a mixture of a pound of milk chocolate and a half pound of bittersweet mixed with three sticks of butter.. So simple and so good.. I am on anti-biotics so I was looking forward to a big glass of milk after not having any wine with dinner..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Damn Daniel........ I want that cake!!

We started tonight with a kir and some carmelized onion dip I made a few days ago served with salt and pepper potato chips

Then a clean out the fridge and pantry evening.....

thick cut pork seared in butter and EVOO, then put in the oven to finish with sliced shallots, a few crimini mushrooms I found, and a few quartered figs....when they were done I made a sauce with the bits deglazed with port. Added some fig jam to the slur and then a bunch of thyme. Let it reduce and finished with a bit of butter.

Served it with basamati rice cooked in homemade veggie stock and fluffed with parsley.

A can of corn drained and cooked with some heavy cream, s & p finished the 'pantry diving' evening.

Oh and a bottle of DiStephanio 2002 sogno (cab franc) was yummy with it all

gallery_16100_231_89477.jpg

Pre- and post- sunset porch dining, so happy to be where it's not turning cold :smile: .....

Something I've always wanted to do, I did last night, lemongrass from our yard as skewers. We had citrus and herb marinated shrimp and scallops as a starter,

gallery_13038_1496_59241.jpg

followed by pork tenderloin that was dry-rubbed with garlic, ginger, S&P, and cumin; potato gratin with mushrooms and sweet onions; and salad of spinach, pear, pancetta, and blue cheese.

gallery_13038_1496_35357.jpg

From Suvir's Indian Homecooking.. I made the hot and sour halibut with cumin fried potatos.. Really great recipe.. I have his tandori lamb chops marinating for at least a day.. I am looking forward to those guys..

gallery_15057_1519_1040136.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)