• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

First time posting in this thread, first time posting photos...

A tale of two soups in one bowl: roasted tomato vs. roasted yellow pepper w. a chile cream garnish.

gallery_30857_1852_64196.jpg

Crab cakes with chipotle mayo and micro greens.

gallery_30857_1852_1364365.jpg

First time posting in this thread, first time posting photos...

A tale of two soups in one bowl:  roasted tomato vs. roasted yellow pepper w. a chile cream garnish.

Crab cakes with chipotle mayo and micro greens. 

All looks really good.. How did it taste? Great photos..

Started with cepe tarts, made puff pastry according to Moby's instructions - excellent crisp, light and buttery pastry. Very good indeed. Lost half the cepes to worms :sad: I guess that pushes the price up form £35/kg to £70/kg :hmmm:

Turbot, apple and ginger dressed with plum kernel oil, red pepper puree. dressed the whole dish with a soy dressing.

Poor quality Turbot (farmed?) spoilt the dish but the apple, ginger and plum kernel oil combined beautifully. In hindsight I should have had another element such as Quinoa in the dish.

gallery_895_976_18746.jpg

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

The family all came over yesterday for all sports, all the time, so dinner was a buffet of antipasto items that could be easily eaten in front of the big TV:

three kinds of fritatta (red onion, sundried tomato, and sausage)

arugula salad with walnuts, parmesean, and lemon

Roasted onion, red peppers, and basil salad

cheese plate

assorted meats and sausages plate

crostini with two toppings (eggplant-tomato and fresh mozzarella, basil, tomato)

lots of different kinds of olives, plus an olive spread for crackers

arancini

and of course, lots of wine!

It was all really good, and tasted even better once we realized the Red Sox were going to win. :smile: The Pats, however... :angry:

Thursday:

Butternut squash (this has to be my favorite fall vegetable) and Italian sausage spaghetti with chili flakes and lots of Parm. We had a glass of bubbly with it.

gallery_5404_94_521146.jpg

Friday:

The two-year old is at my in-laws for the night so we had a nice quiet Asian-themed seafood dinner.

Started off with “Scallops and Butternut squash”. The scallops were seasoned with salt and pepper and seared in butter and olive oil. The squash (I still had the “bulb” part from last nights gourd) was cubed and sautéed in oil with ginger and garlic.

gallery_5404_94_288450.jpg

The main course was “Blackened Tuna with mustard-soy sauce and beurre blanc” served rare of course with a watercress salad. The recipe is from Roy Yamaguchi and it was outstanding.

gallery_5404_94_366548.jpg

We had a white French wine (L’atour I believe) with the meal.

Dessert was a scoop of homemade Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Saturday:

Chicken and sausage Gumbo. Served with white rice and a bottle of “Saint Arnold Oktoberfest” ale.

gallery_5404_94_215780.jpg

Dessert: Upside-down Peach cake.

gallery_5404_94_805584.jpg

Sunday:

Fired up the smoker and cooked a brisket and a couple of racks of spare ribs.

Side dishes were:

- Potato salad in a mayo-sour cream dressing with green onions, red bell peppers, and bacon

- Vinegary cabbage coleslaw

- A last minute request for baked beans resulted in a can of Bush baked beans (bbq flavor :smile: )

gallery_5404_94_626519.jpg

More cake for dessert.

Wow...looking back at it all, we sure ate well the last few days.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Catching up with some recent dinners...

Rice Pilaf with Peas and Potatoes, served with Cucumber Raita

gallery_18558_1478_31928.jpg

Turkey Jasmine Rice Meatballs, served with Bok Choy (Bok choy didn't turn out so good, but the meatballs (from Cooking Light) were delicious!

gallery_18558_1478_14974.jpg

Turkey Stuffed Portobellos, served with Sesame Snow Peas

gallery_18558_1478_9979.jpg

Tomato Mozzarella Salad, served with Gnocchi (pictured on challenge thread)

gallery_18558_1478_46945.jpg

nan

Was going to make pan roasted chicken, was going to make Set It and Forget It pork roast with sage-rosemary-garlic-olive oil paste. Ate a lot of Kettle Chips salt & pepper chips (really good) and olive cream cheese on crackers while hoisting a few Sierra Nevadas during the Redskins-Seattle game. Dinner plans went out the window. Settled for pop-eyes (what the Basilman calls egg in a holes) with prosciutto and a three cheese blend, lots of butter. Mmmm.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I always enjoy reading this thread, especially when I'm looking for new ideas for dinner.

The other night I wanted to use some of our tomatoes and basil in an insalata caprese, but found out I didn't have any mozarella....except the string cheese sticks. So I sliced up a couple of those, scattered them over, and decided they made really cute polka dots. A little olive oil, some balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper finished it off.

gallery_15557_1141_30731.jpg

I also wanted to post a picture of last night's dinner, a tandoori/yogurt marinated chicken breast over creamed eggplant (from Smithy's foodblog) with a beautiful saute of pattypan squash, tomatoes, and green onions, but the pictures didn't turn out at all. Thankfully, dinner did.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Another recipe from the Southern Table...

Pork Belly and shoulder braised in a whiskey sauce. With parm cheese grits and fall vegetables.. I also made Paula Dean's Cheese Biscuits.. We made dinner for 5 and people were cleaning their bowl/plates with the Biscuits.. For dessert we had Pierre's Pot De Creme.. Great Cookbook

Edited by Daniel (log)

Last night's dinner was not picture worthy, probably not post worthy either as it was so simple, but what the heck, it was still very good :blush:

grilled chicken legs rubbed wth my spice blend; roasted small red skinned potatoes tossed with olive oil, oregano and salt; mixed leaf, tomato and cucumber salad; and a pear and dried cherry galette for dessert.

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Last night I was in a "comfort food" mode and made tuna casserole. This dish is so easy, yet fun to make.

1. boil pasta

2. combine pasta , couple cans of tuna, soup, mayo, water, spices and cheese

3. bake til bubby then uncover and sprinke bread crumbs on top and dot with butter

4. broil til brown and crunchy

5. Add a salad for a healthy asthetic

6. try not to go for seconds

7 fail #6 and indulge in more :wink:

gallery_24065_1826_446461.jpg

Last night I was in a "comfort food" mode and made tuna casserole. This dish is so easy, yet fun to make.

1. boil pasta

3. bake til bubby then uncover and sprinke bread crumbs on top and dot with butter

Man I love tuna casserole!!!! looks like you've got some peas in there too!

1. boil pasta

Man I love tuna casserole!!!! looks like you've got some peas in there too!

ooops! how could I forget the frozen peas? :wub: I luv peas :wub:

I put frozen peas in my collander the pour the pasta and water over them and presto chango! defrost.

Edited by monavano (log)

Lazy Sunday dinner:

"cleaning out the fridge"spaghetti with peas, zuchinni sticks, and bacon. Added a whisked egg at the end, carbonara style, to make a creamy sauce. Worked really well.

Monday night: spicy meatballs, braised in red wine, served over soft polenta. With red cabbage.. that was cooked with apples, onions, cloves, allspice, thyme and even more red wine. The pot of cabbage was bubbling away all afternoon, filling the house with the heavenly scent of fall-cooking..

Tonight:

Zucchini/mint/parmesan fritters that turned out slightly soggy, pasta with cubes of fresh salmon and a caper/lemon/butter sauce. This sounds much better than it tasted.. it was all kind of bland. Maybe it was just too summery! Back to fall-cooking tomorrow!

I haven't posted here in a while as I was on vacation: Montreal

but tonight we were back in the kitchen. After a brief stop at my favorite cheese shop which is carrying Salumi salumi now we made a little snack

gallery_16100_231_257359.jpg

the cheeses are a goat dutch gouda and a spanish 'bucheron' style, yum! Also salumi original, pepperoni and prosciutto. Dayne made Juniperitinos to go with this.

The I roasted some fingerlings in some duck fat and tossed them in a salad

(sorry for the blurrrrrr)

gallery_16100_231_97916.jpg

and finally I made crab corn bisque using a bunch of shells I had in the freezer and another whole crab I picked up from the market

gallery_16100_231_130263.jpg

the cheeses are a goat dutch gouda and a spanish 'bucheron' style, yum! Also salumi original, pepperoni and prosciutto.

We've been living on the hot soprasetta, oregano and lomo. Incredible stuff.

the cheeses are a goat dutch gouda and a spanish 'bucheron' style, yum! Also salumi original, pepperoni and prosciutto.

We've been living on the hot soprasetta, oregano and lomo. Incredible stuff.

Salumi's stuff?? Where are you getting it Behemoth?? I love the oregano....but my cheese guy didn't have it. Have you had the mole??? YUM!