• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Dessert was sliced figs with a strawberry-basil puree and almond brittle.  Awesome!

Ooooh, yummy. That looks divine! :rolleyes:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Somehow we are still not photographing our cooking ... yesterday we made a batch of ribs, something that ebbs and flows with seasons and requests from various people, this one a request from my neice who is a) visiting and b) 'doesn't eat pork!' and c) requested it anyway.

Ribs went in with our traditional rub and baked for about 7 hours or so at 200 in our oven, then went onto the barbecue with a vinegar based basting sauce ... we lit one side of the barbecue, and put the ribs on the other side ... they were out there for about 45 or so ... came in and we whittled them right down to the bones! Made the cornbread that David Rosengarten quotes in Taste and also some nice yellow flying saucer squash.

With this we drank some Australian Shiraz

friends over for dinner last night...

apps of fried squash blossoms, pickled green beans and bruschetta with heirloom tomatoes (red, yellow and green)

salad with roasted figs and gorgonzola

Thomas Keller's roasted chicken, Mario Batalli's ricotta gnocchi with sauteed chanterelles and leeks and brown butter sauce

All served with a 2001 Lange Pinot Noir

out of the French Laundry cookbook Dayne made the chocolate Volute (sp?)with cinnamon stick icecream for dessert

Too busy chatting to take photos!!

apps of fried squash blossoms, pickled green beans and bruschetta with heirloom tomatoes (red, yellow and green)

salad with roasted figs and gorgonzola

Thomas Keller's roasted chicken, Mario Batalli's ricotta gnocchi with sauteed chanterelles and leeks and brown butter sauce

out of the French Laundry cookbook Dayne made the chocolate Volute (sp?)with cinnamon stick icecream for dessert

oh, what a wonderful early autumn dinner! I'm planning a dinnerparty for later this week.. might steal your figs/gorgonzola idea..

I bought a bottle of black bean sauce at the Chinese market yesterday but had actually no idea what to do with it. A quick EGullet search led me to Mapo Dofu.. a dish I'd never heard of.. I'm not very familiar with Chinese cuisine (and would actually go as far as to say that I'm not a fan :shock: )

So I combined a couple of recipes and made Mapo Dofu tonight.. it was delicious! I added waterchestnuts because I had some in the fridge and there was 1 recipe that mentioned them.. Sprinkled with ground Szechuan pepper, and served with noodles and stirfried sweet/sour sesame zucchini.

I think maybe traditionally this is served with rice.. But I don't like rice with saucy dishes. Loved the combination withs the noodles though.

So yes, I made a New Thing again tonight.. very pleased with myself being so adventurous lately!

Chufi the figs are a big hit...I love them in the salad but I also do them as an app. I stuff a bit of blue cheese in the fig and then wrap a piece of proscuitto around them, drizzle them with EVOO, s&P and roast them for about 10 to 15 mins. then I drizzle them with honey before serving.

wow some beautiful food here... now i'm craving wursts and cabbage.

wendy - i don't bother with the s & p & evoo - just roast the figs with the blue cheese( the last time it was blue stilton) and draped with prosciutto and that is dessert to me.

tonight after 9 hours counting migrating raptors leftovers

for johnnybird - corona with lime, quiche and a salad of arugula and parsley dressed with a raspberry vinaigrette

for me - a bottle of Marquis de la Tour Brut and a bowl of Cascadian Farm Clifford Crunch :shock:

after we get the numbers entered - bed and sleep

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Dinner tonight was penne with a fresh tomato sauce - tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, hot pepper flakes, basil, and finished with just a touch of balsamic vinegar. Green salad dressed with simple vinaigrette (white wine vinegar, olive oil, S&P).

The entire dish:

gallery_26775_1623_135653.jpg

The obligatory "arty" side-shot:

gallery_26775_1623_269640.jpg

Also finished off the last of that Cabernet Sauvignon! :wub:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I don't have a very fancy camera so can't manage those nice close ups everyone else seems to be able to produce :sad:

Nevertheless, here is (was) tonight's dinner: an autumn quiche (cheeses, pear, squash, leek, fresh sage) served simply with a mixed leaf, tomato and cucumber salad.

autumnquiche.JPG

dinnersept19_05.JPG

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

I don't have a very fancy camera so can't manage those nice close ups everyone else seems to be able to produce  :sad:

Nevertheless, here is (was) tonight's dinner: an autumn quiche (cheeses, pear, squash, leek, fresh sage) served simply with a mixed leaf, tomato and cucumber salad.

Oh, wow - that looks fantastic, Gourmande! Beautiful quiche (sounds pretty yummy, too!). :biggrin:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Last night's Autumn Festival/ moon viewing got in me in the mood for Chinese comfort food: Spinach and tofu in ginger pork broth (qing tang); sliced tomatoes under sugar; mu shu pork over white rice. Lychees for dessert

Edited by Susan G (log)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

There are so many amazing pictures in this thread now, it's a true inspiration...

Turkey burgers:

gallery_28832_1138_32189.jpg

Made with lean, ground turkey meat, quick cook oats, an egg, finely chopped celery, salt, pepper -- and three finely chopped, dried apricots... Grilled and touched with a glaze of mustard and orange marmelade. Slightly unusual, but very tasty.

"Cubans" on squishy white bread, heavily buttered, baked a la Jaques' croque monsieur method

Extra Nathan's pickle chips on the side

Sea salt & vinegar potato chips

Sierra Nevadas

While watching the Skins-Dallas game. WHAT AN ENDING! Good thing my brother-in-law called to congratulate and woke me up so I could Tivo the last 4 minutes. :biggrin:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Been a few days since I've had some time to post, so here goes...

Friday night, split pea soup with ham. Home made (sort of) from a package of organic ingredients put together at the local farmers market. Slow cooked for 4 hours on the stove, with some cubed ham added for the last hour. I don't make this too often, this time I used 2 cups of nice chicken stock in place of 2 of the 10 cups of water. This definately added body to the soup.

Saturday night, braised lamb shanks and riced purple potatoes. The lamb shanks were browned first, then added to a mix of sauteed onion, garlic, mushrooms, EVOO, good italian pasata, thyme, rosemary, pinot noir (1 cup) and a little water. This was moved to a slow (280F) oven for 5 hours. Shanks were melt in your mouth, the sauce too good to waste and the riced purple potatoes added great texture, but the colour combo did not work very well (menopausal purple potatoes and a red sauce - Grandma would be proud).

Sunday night, picked up a nice piece of halibut (not a common occurance in land locked Calgary) and decided to do it baked in parchment paper. Put down a layer of aromatics inlucding sliced garlic, ginger, lemon slices, onion, cilantro stems, fresh thyme, fresh mint, fresh oregano, salt, pepper and EVOO. Baked in the oven for 25 minutes and served it with a nice tomato salad and jasmine rice. The SO and I were quite happy with this, it could have been photographed but my tummy won over my eyes and camera.

Last night way too tired to cook, stopped off for a quickie Vietnamese dinner including shrip salad rolls and a nice Bun dish.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

Chicken paillard (singular - just me!) with a corn, tomato and basil relish on top. Served with a green salad of romaine, cucumbers and red onion on the side.

gallery_26775_1623_142810.jpg

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I finally uploaded the picture of the dessert Dayne made for our dinner party on Sunday

valoute of bittersweet chocolate with cinnamon stick ice cream (from FL cookbook)

gallery_16100_231_184523.jpg

YES, I am a very lucky woman! :wub:

dinner tonight was leftover ricotta gnocchi and red sauce with fresh herbs and a green salad with huckleberries

gallery_16100_231_272506.jpg

Dinner last night at College for the Cambridge Angels

(I chose the menu, but the College kitchens cooked it)

A Taste of Autumn

Artichoke Hearts with Foie Gras and a Tarragon Vinaigrette

Indian Tea smoked Scallop with

Rocket and Lemon Salad

Supreme of Pheasant on a Celeriac Puree

with a Game and herb jus

Selection of Vegetables

Cretan Potatoes

Warm Blackberry Tart with Homemade Apple crumble Ice-cream

and Lemon Sauce

Coffee and Petit Fours

Cheese and celery with Walnut bread

Fresh Fruit and walnuts

Riesling Pflaenzereben Rolly Gassmann 1990

Nuits St George Faiveley 1er Cru Clos de la Marechale 1993

Ch. Rabaud Promis 1er Cru Sauterne 1988

Quinta do Noval LBV 1998

Foie Gras with artichoke heats was a really interesting and delicious pairing, the slight sweetness of artichoke offsetting the Foie perfectly.

The tea smoked scallops were a revelation. I thought they were the best dish of the evening.

Last night's dinner was maple baked salmon, Basmati and wild rice, glazed sugar snap peas and carrots, and a salad of mixed leaf, pear and blue cheese (Ermite) ...

dinner0920_05.JPG

salad0920_05.JPG

My plating and camera skills need much improvement, but I'm getting some great inspiration here, thank you all for your fabulous posts! :smile:

Edit: oops... initial post cited incorrect cheese name :blush:

Edited by gourmande (log)

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Gourmande: your salmon is so beautiful. I could eat the picture :biggrin:

Last night was a celebration of my garden's bounty: tomatoes, cucumbers, red peppers, zuchinni and green onions -- since i can really only make so many pickles and jars of tomato sauce.

Pizza with tomatoes, peppers, zuchinni and green onions.

Salad with tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, green onions, romaine hearts, walnuts, grated white cheddar (from the pizza) tossed with a homemade dressing.

Lovely but not picture worthy.

There's a yummy in my tummy.