• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

these photos are so beautiful.

last night's dinner: sole almondine, white rice cooked in veg stock, and edamame/peas/corn kernels quickly cooked in stock and butter -- still fresh-tasting and firm.

There's a yummy in my tummy.

Last evening, homemade pasta, fettucine, with a blue-cheese sauce based on the old favorite Gorgonzola one in Marcella Hazan's first book, only made with the rest of the St. Agur.

I had hatched this plot way back on Saturday afternoon, standing in the cheese store having just that moment tasted the St. Agur, realizing instantly it would be perfect for this sauce. Also a lovely tomato salad made from a giant very ripe oxheart tomato sliced and dressed with a big shower of chiffonade of basil and olive oil and balsamic, s & p. Crusty LBB baguette, saltylicious butter.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

More stuffed pasta for the cook-off. Stuffing: mushrooms, ham, parsley and ricotta. Mmm..

Dessert: pureed mango layered with greek yoghurt. Because I love the combination of ginger and mango, I took some of my moms homemade ginger cake from the freezer to go with it.

gallery_21505_358_33938.jpg

Thanks for putting that BBQ Shrimp recipe up..

Took bread and hollowed it out..

gallery_15057_1393_454808.jpg

After brining the shrimp for 30 minutes I added it to the really tastey sauce..

gallery_15057_1393_473075.jpg

Then stuffed about a pound of shrimp and sauce per sandwich.. Sorry the photos are so bad.. Must have gotten steamed up..

gallery_15057_1393_752297.jpg

The sandwich stayed intact and was awesome.. Stuffed all the way to the nub.. There were like 6 shrimp in the last bite.. One of the better sandwiches going..

Oh man! that's a tasty looking sandwich.

Dinner was teryaki london broil, fresh tomatoes, mashed potato with butter and cream, fresh corn and a 2001 lafite rothschild brodeaux.

peanut butter ice cream for dessert!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Fellow eGullet'er DRColby gave me some beautiful albacore tuna loins fresh off the boat!!

Last night I marinated one in dijon, beer, cumin, parsley, etc and we grilled it.

gallery_16100_231_388838.jpg

served it with avacodo and salsa. Sauteed brocolli in white wine, garlic and citrus for a side

gallery_16100_231_33679.jpg

Took a bit off another loin and made seviche which we are having tonight

gallery_16100_231_291006.jpg

Thank you Dave!

Fresh-roasted warm Brazil nuts with cocktails. Sloppy Joes with Jack melted in, with crisp Vidalia slices. Baked beans with three-color peppers, leftover pulled pork, and brown-sugar sauce. Baby Yukon gold potato salad with mustardy mayo, boiled eggs and celery seeds. Dessert: Pineapple/banana/coconut salad with poof of sour cream.

Encore Stairmaster before breakfast tomorrow.

And if I DID make pictures, there's no way to make a Sloppy Joe photogenic. Is there?

The night before the first day of high school, cheeseburgers were the request. Fresh-ground from chuck (fresh-ground already tastes so good; much better even when ground just minutes before shaping and cooking). Into a superhot pan until very rare in the middle, Colby-Jack on top, excellent heirloom tomato, crispy lettuce, sweet onion, pickle chips for those who like that sort of thing. Lay's Original and MST3K's Sidehackers on the side.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

That ceviche is GORGEOUS, Ms. Foodie!

As for me, another empty fridge day (couldn't face the market after the gym) led to spaghetti with olive oil, lemon juice, pepper, toasted pine nuts, and parmesan.

gallery_26775_1623_112446.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Rice noodles with pork, black bean sauce, spring onions and red peppers.

Topped with instant pickles (cucumber & radishes, sliced into matchsticks, tossed with salt, sugar and vinegar.

Nothing special but it made a good "it's friday night let's have a bowl of noodles in front of the tv" kind of dinner.

wow - some wonderful food coming out. not too inspiring since it is the freezer clean out time though this was my first day off in 9(since i had to work 9 am- 3 pm) *note to self if we can get those picture posting thingys down ask soba to blog end of august/ beginning of hawk season - er beginning of september*

i did take the time to get a ny strip from my favorite local butcher and grilled it for dinner. juicy, succulent and freaking better than the filet we have been getting here. enough left over to hack up and make stir fried rice and a wrap - for johnnybird's lunches tomorrow and monday. also potato salad - purple potatoes, onions, celery salt, miracle whip AND eggs. yellow and green squash sauteed with shallots and minced garlic.

tomorrow a wedding then we get really serious about freezer cleaning since i'm on vaca and, unless it is pouring rain, i'm out in the field for at least 8 hours with all my food and liquids... :blink:

happy eating to all ... and to all a good bite

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Went to the butcher and fell in love with a Porter House.. With the 2lb cut I made potatoes with chunks of prosciutto fat, butter and pearl onions.. Green beans with lemon and garlic..

Broiled each side for 5 mins.. Rubbed in huge amount of black pepper.

gallery_15057_1393_100580.jpg

It looks so shiny.. Took the photo with a flash in my darkened kitchen.. Filet on the left, ny la derecha..

gallery_15057_1393_507547.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

filet mignon

lamb skewers

lamb chops

chicken wings

kalbi

dozens of raw oysters

sooo much wine

port

my 4 layer chocolate birthday cake (with caramel italian buttercream, almond/pecan dacquoise, and ganache)

we could not eat the pork tenderloin, the ribeyes, or the salmon...there was just TOO MUCH FOOD!

^Thanks! Actually, my birthday is on the 30th but this was a "trial" birthday cake...although I was a bit of a perfectionist even with my trial. I redid the chocolate layers b/c I didnt like the first recipe I used very much, and I redid the buttercream too (changing it from a French rum one to an Italian caramel). I also scrapped my chocolate pastry cream b/c I got lumps, and ended up doing a whipped ganache for the middle layer. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Dinner with friends:

more stuffed pasta. I'm hooked! This one has a mushroom/leek/dried porcini stuffing. With sage butter ofcourse.

gallery_21505_358_19529.jpg

Citrus roast cod (with orange and lemon zest) with an almond crust, slow roast garlic tomatoes, green bean and radish salad. Not in the pic is the dish that was actually the best one of the main course: Gordon Ramsay's Nicoise potatoes - new potatoes crushed with olive oil, black olives, capers, parsley and anchovies.

gallery_21505_358_9169.jpg

Pistachio cake with poached peaches and cardamom scented syrup

gallery_21505_358_17480.jpg

I really hate that it's getting darker earlier every evening, and my dinner pics turn out all yellow and blurry!

I really hate that it's getting darker earlier every evening, and my dinner pics turn out all yellow and blurry!

I know the feeling. But believe me, your food still looks awesome, mouthwatering, and delicious!

You've got this pasta making down pat... Congrats!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I know the feeling. But believe me, your food still looks awesome, mouthwatering, and delicious!

You've got this pasta making down pat... Congrats!

Thanks Susan! I really don't know why my pasta machine has been sitting in my cupboard for about 10 years. Making pasta is so much fun! I guess this high will wear off but I'll enjoy it while it lasts..

Tonight was cooking with leftovers. I had some leftover roast cod.. now cooked fish does not make the happiest of leftovers.. :biggrin: but I was still dreaming of those fabulous crushed potatoes I made yesterday. So I made fishcakes with the same flavorings:

I added the cod to some plain mashed potatoes, and added chopped capers, anchovies and parsley. Formed into little cakes and fried in very hot oil. They were fantastic! The fact that the cod was roasted with orange zest made a very interesting flavor contribution.. they were so good I can see myself making these from scratch and not just with leftovers.

With that we had a salad of roast peppers, olives and basil.

edited 3 times because after 2 glasses of wine, my english gets bad

Edited by Chufi (log)

^Thanks! Actually, my birthday is on the 30th but this was a "trial" birthday cake...although I was a bit of a perfectionist even with my trial. I redid the chocolate layers b/c I didnt like the first recipe I used very much, and I redid the buttercream too (changing it from a French rum one to an Italian caramel). I also scrapped my chocolate pastry cream b/c I got lumps, and ended up doing a whipped ganache for the middle layer.  :rolleyes:  :biggrin:

Hi Ling,

My birthday's on the 30th too and I am inspired by you to start thinking about my own birthday cake. I usually end up making one as I am the official and only cake maker in the family. I was following your post in the pastry thread (come to think of it I should look over there) with much interest. What recipe did you end up using for the chocolate layers?

Edited by pissaladiere (log)

We house sat for my inlaws this weekend up on Camano Island in the San Juans. eG'ers Della and Adiabatic came up on Sat. and helped us use the kick ass kitchen my in laws have.

bruschetta with heirloom tomatoes, basil and citrus salt. Spicy pickled green beans. kirs in the glass

gallery_16100_231_325973.jpg

Corn chowder made with corn I picked up from an honor stand on the island! drizzled with avacado oil

gallery_16100_231_396466.jpg

Another tuna loin from DRColby was poached in EVOO with rosemary and lemon zest. Served with white beans, rosemary and bacon

gallery_16100_231_296759.jpg

both of those courses were served with a Viogner from Chatter Creek (WA)

Duck with sour cherry sauce, the duck legs were done in the oven while the breasts were done on the stovetop. The sauce was duck stock and cherries and orange. This recipe Della found in the Herbfarm Cookbook. It was delish, sorry the picture isn't very good. Roasted carrots with butter and marjoram.

gallery_16100_231_407357.jpg

We served a 2001 Lange Pinot Noir 3 Hills Cuvee with this, the smokey/cherry of the wine was a perfect match.

Dayne made us vanilla creme brulee with some blackberries from the local farmers market for dessert.

gallery_16100_231_216740.jpg

Lord, we were still full this morning!! Very fun to cook with your friends!

Very sweet, indeed, LMF. The duck with carrots remind me of a preparation at one of my favorite local restaurants minus the cherries.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz