• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Been under the weather this past week so I had a lot of "mom's vegetable chicken soup with Ricotta dumplings", well ok the dumplings were my contribution to the family recipe.

Saturday:

Antipasto of homemade Proscuitto-style ham on top of crusty bread.

Spaghetti with a sauce of San Marzano tomatoes, fennel, ricotta and mushrooms

Chocolate-Almond souffles with creme anglaise (aKa melted vanilla ice cream :unsure:) for dessert.

Sunday:

My wife rarely cooks and when she does it's usually one of my favorite comfort foods, garlic studded brisket pot roast with carrots and onions.

I made the extra creamy and buttery mashed potatoes

gallery_5404_94_791406.jpg

Today:

Leftovers of course! sliced thin, warmed and made into a sandwich on homemade onion rye with dijon and saurkraut.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Sunday's dinner was the fruit of Saturday's visit to a new cheese store (Artisan Cheese Gallery in Studio City, nice little store, friendly staff, well-cared-for cheese). We came away with five varieties, including two blues from Auvergne neither of which was the eponym for eG's Bleudauvergne, but Fourme d'Ambert and St. Agur. And a CA sheep's milk cheese about whose name I am ambivalent, Lamb Chopper, and an English Derby with elderberry wine. One other I ferget.

Il Fornaio ciabatta and LBB crusty multi-grain, saltylicious butter, a couple of very good tomatoes, and thinly sliced Columbus dry black pepper salami. Bottle of Bonny Doon Splendido Segaro that'd been kicking around. Very nice.

(Edit: Errant hyphen. AND the u Heather reminded me of.)

Edited by Priscilla (log)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Oh FoodMan... that plate looks like a little piece of heaven.

Percyn... I'm not familiar with Lamb Biryani but now I'm going to have to do some research. That looks wonderful!!.

I had to use up some of my father's giant tomatoes this weekend before they exploded on my kitchen counter. Last night I made a very spicy sauce of onion, garlic, evoo, red pepper flakes, italian seasoning, those giant tomatoes, some black olives, and a knob of butter, served over mostacolli. It was really, really good. It left a nice tingle in your mouth. No leftovers.

I'm really going to miss these tomatoes when they're gone.

Saturday: lasagna with Mario's ragu bolognese. I've made bolognese a few times now, including Marcella's, and I don't know...I just don't like it. Anyway, the lasagna was not very good. I didn't use enough cheese and it was just blah and dry. Oh well. From now on I'll stick to my Mom's tried and true 1950's style recipe.

Sunday: Fried chicken and Vidalia onion rings in a beer batter, tomato salad, corn on the cob with lime & cayenne butter, baked poblanos with Mexican cheese and scallions

Monday: Pork loin stuffed with garlic-rosemary-sage-salt paste, roasted green beans with garlic, lemon & anchovy, tomato & fresh mozzarella bruschetta. Also did an "Italian" beef in the Crock Pot for French dips tonight.

A beautiful Labor Day weekend, and I'm glued to reruns of 24 on A&E and of course the hurricane coverage.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Shouldn't open this thread on an empty stomach or at least not until I have been to the market and picked up things for dinner. Now I want ribs, gazpacho, lamb, , salmon, flounder....etc...

Haven't done much cooking the last few nights as we have had ball games to go to. Sunday night I made Mexican. Chicken Tostadas. Made two salsas one with tomatoes blackened on the grill and one with just fresh tomatoes. And we had Sangria to drink with it.

34637156-M.jpg

34769378-M.jpg

Sunday night bbq'd ribeyes (beef) from the local butcher, brushed with EVOO, chili flakes, salt and pepper. SO made a very nice potato salad using italian pancetta (including rendered fat), baby white potatoes, whole grain mustard, mustard powder, mayo, pickle juice, fresh herbs from the garden (ok window box), salt and pepper. Ribeyes melted in the mouth, the potato salad was still warm and the Tinhorn Creek Cab Franc was just about perfect... too bad the weather wasn't nicer.

Last night in preperation for fall it was lamb madras slow cooked on the stove for about 4 hours then served with a not so good packaged naan bread. Too many spices to mention for the madras, but the other main ingredients were lamb sirloin steaks cubed, onion, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, lemon juice, lime zest, lime juice, kafir lime leaves, tomato paste, 1 cup of water and just before serving 1 small pot of plain yogurt.

This is almost the last of the half spring lamb in the freezer. All that remains is 1 shank, 1 package of ground lamb and a monster shoulder roast. Good thing the fall lamb should be ready in a a month and a half.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

On Sunday, I served the following:

Pre-Meal

Foie Gras Terrine

Fava Bean Spread w/Truffle Oil

Variety of Cheeses, Bread and Crackers (obviously didn't make these)

1st Appetizer

Heirloom Tomatoes w/Balsamic Reduction

2nd Appetizer

Seared Foie Gras in two preparations

- w/Prunes soaked in Madiera

- w/Sour Cherries soaked in Creme de Cassis

Main Course

Wild Mushroom Risotto w/Cepes, Chanterelles, and Lobster Mushrooms

Dessert

Fromage Blanc w/Honey and Walnuts

On Monday, I made a brioche french toast from the leftover foie gras accompanyment with vanilla, orange and rose flower water, and cinnamon.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I loved Dave's BBQ shrimp so much Saturday at Varmints I just had to go for it.

Really good over biscuts even better over Rachel's risotto...

gallery_23695_426_92456.jpg

recipe link in Varmints Pig Pickin thread

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Sandwich made from leftover flank steak, tomatoes, red onion and mayo on toasted seedless rye. Not nearly so gorgeous as Alinka or Percyn's sandwiches from last week, but it sure was tasty!

gallery_26775_1623_170753.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Sat outside on the deck and had Patricia Wells' tomato clafoutis (basically tomatoes instead of fruit with thyme and parmesan added to the egg/cream batter) -- then smoked salmon and salad. Tested out my Cuisinart Ice Cream maker with Lotus Ice Cream (NY Times recipe -- toasted almond/lemon flavor) and it came out great! Feels like the last night of summer before everyone goes back to work and school.

I loved Dave's BBQ shrimp so much Saturday at Varmints I just had to go for it.

Really good over biscuts even better over Rachel's risotto...

gallery_23695_426_92456.jpg

recipe link in Varmints Pig Pickin thread

tracey

Very nice presentation, as well, with the green beans along sides like that! I like it! I know the shrimp are luscious... I use that method of dry on the pan at first and adding butter at the end -- just most of the time more simply prepared. It's a great idea for BBQ shrimp, too. Yum!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

hours on the hawkwatch counting those birds headed south so not too interested in cooking though...

sunday: peppers stuffed with a mixture of buffalo, potatoes, red onion and salsa then baked and topped with cheese. served with a salad and supersweet tomatoes( the first) from the garden

monday: grilled buffalo steak, potato salad with egg and miracle whip and garden salad

tuesday: too tired and too late for me to eat but made johnnybird a foccacia he seems to have just inhaled.

if i have a bit of time and some luck i will figure out how to post my birthday dinner of fresh jersey corn, tomatoes with maytag blue and red french dressing and grilled strip steak served with champagne and the obligatory tiara (last tuesday)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tonight we had Boursin on wheat crackers and Oliver Winery Camelot mead

whilst the panko-coated butterflied shrimp were frying.

Vidalia/homemade dill pickle tartar sauce; baby Yukon golds with seasalt and a dot of butter; Cold asparagus, boiled egg quarters, tomato quarters, dressed with a dribble of lemony mustard/mayo.

Nectarine crescents simmered in vanilla sugar and buttershot, served warm with a tiny scoop of vanilla yogurt and a gloop of whipped cream.

Tomorrow's breakfast: Stairmaster.

Made a sandwich on ciabatta with prosciutto, mozzerella, my own pesto, and grilled artichoke hearts.. Pressed it for awhile.. Served with seafood salad, and lemon oil tomato basil salad..

Pics are ok.. It was great.. The key was really flatening out the sandwich before putting on the grill.. The bread was super crispy..

gallery_15057_1573_995623.jpg

gallery_15057_1573_402932.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

if i have a bit of time and some luck i will figure out how to post my birthday dinner of fresh jersey corn, tomatoes with maytag blue and red french dressing and grilled strip steak  served with champagne and the obligatory tiara (last tuesday)

happy belated birthday suzilightning and yes please do post pics of that dinner!

Our dinner yesterday: I tossed some potatoes and carrots and red onion wedges with oil, rosemary and thyme and roasted them in a very hot oven until golden and lovely.

I had a salad of frisee lettuce, smoked chicken, sundried tomatoes and chunks of soft goatscheese waiting.. but at the last moment, I fished the cheese from the salad, sprinkled it over the roast vegetables and put the pan under the grill.. very good idea! it looked very pretty too but the camera batteries were dead. :sad:

Made a sandwich on ciabatta with prosciutto, mozzerella, my own pesto,  and grilled artichoke hearts.. Pressed it for awhile.. Served with seafood salad, and lemon oil tomato basil salad..

Yum, yum, yum!!!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

tonight will be pizza night!

pizza, sweetcorn, salad and possibly cheesecake

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

I love sandwiches, too... This is making me want them in the dinner plans more often.

Here's my catching up, going in reverse from last night.

gallery_13038_1496_127534.jpg

We had roasted grouper & zucchini and a salad of tomato, provolone, and arugula in an avocado half.

gallery_13038_1496_130702.jpg

gallery_13038_1496_47378.jpg

The part of dinner I enjoyed the most was the go-withs of bread, butter, prosciutto, duck pate', radishes, and just-roasted red peppers. After work yesterday I went to the produce market and grocery store hungry and didn't have the self-discipline not to buy almost everything that looked good to me ...and come home and fix it.

gallery_13038_1496_85917.jpg

On Labor Day I flattened and marinated two Cornish Hens in a citrus and thyme honey mixture, and Russ grilled them.

gallery_13038_1496_142618.jpg

gallery_13038_1496_119872.jpg

With them we had Jasmine rice, left-over kale, and another influence from reading the Varmint Pig Pickin' thread, watermelon salad.

gallery_13038_1496_75182.jpg

The night before was pasta with an uncooked sauce of fresh tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, goat cheese, Kalamata olives, garlic, & EVOO.

After work yesterday

Susan in FL - Fabulous looking dishes as always. However, the most striking part of your thread is highlighted above. I'm a new member of the Forum here, and was always fascinated by your beautiful food. I never would've imagined that you make all this food after working!! That is truly inspirational. Thanks and keep up the hard work.

Good day at work, come home and cook to celebrate the day; hard day at work, come home and cook as therapy... It's an advantage of having the empty nest syndrome! It also helps that I work out of my home only part time.

:smile: