• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

so, i know this is really pathetic, but i woke up this morning thinking, "did eunny actually make that egg yolk ravioli!?" i came (almost eagerly) into work tasting the creamy yolk on my tongue and stumbled through my login in my rush to see how they turned out. i scrolled through to find these meaty, luscious short-ribs. i can't even be disappointed. all i can think is: HASH. (with poached eggs) it's hard not to be painful jealous of your mad skills, eunny - but thank you for feeding my need to see your work!

i will be satisfying my peculiar egg-obsession this weekend. birthday cocktail party for the boy will include 2 dozen deviled eggs!

Oh! I am going to do that this weekend, hopefully...yesterday was so ugly and gloomy it was all I could do to drag myself to the store at all, much less trek to Cleveland Park for pancetta and good cheese...I promise soon :biggrin:

Deviled eggs! Can you mail me some? Better yet, can I crash your party?

Mmmmm.  I'd love to try this gratin.  Would you be willing to tell all? :raz:

Jan

I'll spill :smile:

Enjoy!

Eunny

Thanks so much--I think it'd be a great Thanksgiving side dish.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Ben, an eGullet poster mainly in the Chinese cuisine forum, arrived at our house on the Canadian prairies from New Brunswick searching for joongzi. They arrived on Wed. Since then., I have been trying to "show off" entries from my summer foodblog. :wink:

Today, we had deluxe wonton soup with shrimp noodles for lunch.

For supper, while he reminisced about China with my mom, I poached 2 whole pickerels (great fish) served with julienned ginger and green onions, topped with heated oil and light soya sauce. We also had tofu stick soup with rehydrated oysters and gingko nuts, beef with snow peas, and jasmine rice.

Ben is an upland bird hunter. We are waiting for game birds to show in our larder. :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

First... forgive me. I'm totally new to eGullet.

But over on the DC forum we've been talking about Burmese food... tonight I tried an experiment and tried to make pork in a pickled mango curry over brown rice.

I've never made a curry before (and I am Indian--but never wanted to challenge Mom, sticking to Italian as my speciality) but it actually turned out okay. The only problem was that it didn't turn out sour enough. I got the pickled flavor, but not as heavily as my Burmese friends. Any suggestions?

K

But over on the DC forum we've been talking about Burmese food... tonight I tried an experiment and tried to make pork in a pickled mango curry over brown rice.

I've never made a curry before (and I am Indian--but never wanted to challenge Mom, sticking to Italian as my speciality) but it actually turned out okay. The only problem was that it didn't turn out sour enough. I got the pickled flavor, but not as heavily as my Burmese friends. Any suggestions?

K

Welcome, Kanishka!

I have to say, I'm clueless about Burmese food, and don't know what they use to "sour" things, so I can't answer your question. I'll ask a question instead: what are the typical souring agents in that cuisine? Lemon? Tamarind? If nobody else here answers, I will also suggest that you might have better luck asking this question either on the DC Forum, since you've been talking Burmese food there, or the Asian Forum, based on location. I'm not trying to scare you off, by any means! But if nobody here has ideas for you on this question, I don't want you to feel ignored.

Again, welcome! And good luck finding answers!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Dining alone tonight.

Romaine lettuce with sliced cauliflower, topped with Daves Insanity Sauce mixed with blue cheese dressing and seasoned rice vinegar.

Scooped up with tortilla chips.

Ginger tea.

A craving based meal. :wacko:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

The polenta thread has had me going, so I made some polenta early today, chilled then sliced and fried quickly. Seared some chopped broccoli in butter/EVOO, dumped that in eggs with fresh picked lemon basil and a shake of my ground dried cayenne. Poured over polenta in small cast iron skillet for individual frittatas. Huffed up nicely. Topped with mozz, under the broiler for a minute, then finished with sliced scallions and fresh cut garlic chives. Simple salad of torn Romaine hearts and croutons with a drizzle of EVOO/basalmic, and a dusting of grated Parm.

gallery_12550_103_1099728453.jpg

Friday night frittatas.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

IMG_0024.JPG

Liver and onions. The butcher had "fois de genisse" and when I asked him what that was he said it wasn't beef and it wasn't veal, but somewhere in between. I am still not clear but it sure was delicious, simply seared. Velvety smooth. I softened 5 thickly sliced onions in duck fat, added 2 T. of sticky rice, 2T. demi glace, and a cup of riesling, covered and simmered 1/2 an hour.

Early celebratory birthday dinner cooked by dear boyfriend:

Mixed greens with pear, roasted pecans, breaded+fried herbed goat cheese and honey pepper vinaigrette.

Pan-roasted Spring salmon with red peppercorn + rum cream sauce, wheat rotini to clean off the plate.

Too tired to post pics. Hopefully my following year will bring more posting diligence!

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

For dinner tonight (pictures will follow):

Garlic, leek and potato soup with salmon roe and chives.

Fried chicken liver and shiitake mushrooms on field green salad.

Pan-roasted duck breast with wild rice; Riesling reduction with grapes and pecans.

Warm apple cake with molasses and hazlenut ice cream; Calvados sauce.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

K

Welcome Kanishka !!

Not sure about Burmese food, but as you may know, a standard ingredient used in Indian cooking to sour food is Tamrind (usually dried ones you can find at an Indian grocery store).

last night the starter was a light vegetable soup then 2 cycles in the jacuzzi :biggrin: . main course and sides were lemon rice, zucchini sauteed with olive oil and garlic and chicken saltimbucco. john has decided this one is a keeper.

tonight - reservations for john's 50th birthday dinner.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

whiskey, popcorn.

What kind of whiskey, what kind of popcorn?

I have done the wine and popcorn thing, but never mixed my whiskey with anything but nuts (OK, no crazy jokes here please :rolleyes: ).

Ha ha. If you must know, the Whiskey was Laphroaig 10 year old. No better occasion to drain that bottle, let me tell you. The popcorn was just plain old popcorn, popped in the giant non-stick stock pot (why??) I inherited from an ex-boyfriend and only use for popcorn. Topped with a little melted butter and lots of salt. I usually have the whiskey with nuts, but I was so nervous that night I knew I would want something to stuff in my mouth to keep my teeth from grinding. Figured popcorn in that quantity would be the healthier choice.

Last night we got invited out to dinner, as a thank you for the dinner party I hosted 5 or 6 pages back. I have no idea what I'm making tonight, I kind of have a stack of work waiting for me this weekend. Probably lebanese food, and I am really craving greens.

New England comfort fish, two ways:

Cod cake on a bed of pickled red onion

Bacon-wrapped cod, strewn with pomegranate seeds

Sauteed asparagus and shiitake mushrooms

Green grapes for dessert

Another Saturday night dinner in front of the TV. Growing up in the 50's we never ate in front of the TV. We weren't even allowed to have the TV on while eating. So when out on my own, I made a point of having my Saturday night dinner in front of the TV. A sandwich, cole slaw and potato chips. Then, in 1988 my aged mother moved in with me, and because of her poor health we ate in front of the TV every night, except Sundays, when I insisted that if I was expected to cook a proper Sunday dinner, then we were going to eat it at a proper place - the dining room table. Since she passed away 6 years ago, I've gone back to Saturday night dinner in front of the TV.

Tonight it was salmon on the last of a loaf of hearty white sandwich bread I baked last month

gallery_7869_302_1099790925.jpg

gallery_7869_302_1099789322.jpg

I had escarole, cucumber, tomatos and onion on the sandwich

gallery_7869_302_1099790366.jpg

And, of course, a side of slaw

gallery_7869_302_1099791776.jpg

While watching this on the TV.

gallery_7869_302_1099792168.jpg

Edited by Arey (log)

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Went to a dinner party last week that left my confidence in my cooking abilities in a tailspin.... :sad: The hostess gracefully whipped up great spicy chicken and pasta (w/ good sauce) for 7. Using someone else's kitchen, at that. Very good, very elegant.

Somehow, turkey tetrazzini (Fri.'s dinner) does not seem very elegant.

But it was good.

And a challah-sour-cherry bread pudding experiment turned out quite well. :biggrin:

Elegance be damned! It was Saturday, and we've bof ha cods aw week.

So when my sweet mr said he'd like to do his anchovy/garlic/Parm Florentine fettucine thing for dinner, if we still had some of the serranos, I said, Sure honey. :wub: Here they are, showing him the jar of garden serranos in fridge. :wink: I'll bake some French rolls and do some EVOO with red pepper and basil for dipping.

So he did this

gallery_12550_164_1099825832.jpg

and I did this

gallery_12550_164_1099826497.jpg

Carbs are good, right? :raz:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I've missed my favorite thread, being busy with the planning, cooking, photographing and loading pictures, writing, etc. of blogging! I wanted to take some time to come back and read more closely after only quickly browsing for most of the past week.

PM me if you can't find this, Susan. Your library may have the book and you can source book several places online also. I did, and love it! And yes, Paula's new edition of The Cooking of Southwest France is expected to be out next September.  :cool:

Thank you much.

Liver and onions.  The butcher had "fois de genisse" and when I asked him what that was he said it wasn't beef and it wasn't veal, but somewhere in between.  I am still not clear but it sure was delicious, simply seared.  Velvety smooth.  I softened 5 thickly sliced onions in duck fat, added 2 T. of sticky rice, 2T. demi glace, and a cup of riesling, covered and simmered 1/2 an hour.

Sounds delicious... One doesn't see liver and onions in this dinner thread often.

...tonight - reservations for john's 50th birthday dinner.

Happy birthday to Johnnybird! I saw that yesterday on the list.

Looking forward to hearing about the birthday dinner.

Another Saturday night dinner in front of the TV. Growing up in the 50's we never ate in front of the TV.

Great story. I grew up in those same 50's with that same rule. It's good to hear you enjoy this Saturday night tradition now. And, I love the sounds of the sandwiches you have. As you know if you've taken a look at our blog, we almost always watch TV with dinner!

Eunny, lovely looking food as usual, and thanks for the description of making your parsnip- fennel- onion- gruyere- gratin.

And somebody mentioned cravings based meals.... :wub: A great way to eat. I'm surely in favor of that.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Butter lettuce salad w/toasted pecans, avacadoes, and pink grapefruit-poppyseed vinegarrette

Smoked Venison Tenderloin

Roasted Cauliflower w/toasted sesame seeds

Texmati rice cooked with a healthy dose of saffron

This was the first venison of the season at our house. A nice gift from a neighbor. It was absolutely delicious and cooked medium rare to a turn. Just delicious. Not one bit gamey, just moist and tender. Almost like pork, but with an earthier flavor. I love fresh venison.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

For dinner tonight (pictures will follow):

Garlic, leek and potato soup with salmon roe and chives.

Fried chicken liver and shiitake mushrooms on field green salad.

Pan-roasted duck breast with wild rice; Riesling reduction with grapes and pecans.

Warm apple cake with molasses and hazlenut ice cream; Calvados sauce.

gallery_137_342_1099838840.jpg

I used some chive oil, too.

gallery_137_342_1099838876.jpg

Found some fresh radishes. Dressing was a shallot vinaigrette.

gallery_137_342_1099838912.jpg

gallery_137_342_1099838950.jpg

This tasted a lot better than it looks. The sauce is calvados, cider and cream.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Fried Cornmeal encrusted catfish fillets served on a BLT. I ended up making a tarter sauce that turned out really well.

The tarter sauce consisted of mayo, sweet pickle relish, capers, dijon mustard, fresh lemon juice, a pinch of cayenne, and some bottled cocktail sauce. It was delicious.