• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Lobster Liguine with Parmesan Shavings

Yum.

Sweet Red pepper and Vine Tomato Soup with Organo and Basil Leaf

Roast Partridge with Chestnuts

Polenta

Baby Courgettes

Char grilled Aubergine

Yum.

Rich Rum and Chocolate LAyer Cake

Italian Nougat Semi-Freddo

Coffeee and Petit Four

Italian Cheeses

Fruit

And yum.

Ditto.

I found beautiful baby bok choy in the supermarket today... Walmart of all places. It was Melissa's and some of the best baby bok choy ever, and I came home and planned dinner around that:

Seared coriander chicken breasts with the bok choy, sauteed, and a reduced sauce of fresh-squeezed OJ, garlic and ginger, and hoisin;

Steamed potato and asparagus;

Pinot Noir

gallery_13038_284_1099363554.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Susan, you are in FL right? What kind of Pinot do you normally buy? We are getting ready to go on our yearly north Willamette Valley (OR) pinot buying trip!

Awesome! I love Oregon Pinot Noirs. Most of them are pretty expensive here, and except for special occasions, I like to spend under $20.00 a bottle. Tonight's Pinot Noir was Beaulieu Vineyard, on sale $2.00 off the regular price, making it about $8.00... Pretty good for an "everyday" Pinot Noir.

Some of our favorites are King Estate and Argyle (Willamette Valley) from Oregon, and David Bruce, Cambria, Sanford, Chalone, and Robert Mondavi from California. Today when I went wine shopping I bought a Pinot Noir from New Zealand, and I'm looking forward to that probably later this week.

I am looking forward to hearing about your Willamette Valley wine shopping! Please do report back.

Crock potted "Mexican" shredded beef (chipotles, salsa, garlic, beef broth, green chiles, olives & raisins) in yummy Trader Joe's "homestyle" flour tortillas with sour cream, green onions, jalapenos, jalapeno-cheddar-jack.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

johnnybird's "half day off" from work meant he worked 6 hours today :huh:

the stock is done for a ming tsai hot and sour soup with shrimps instead of pork - used vegetable stock i had in the freezer instead of chicken, shitake mushrooms, shrimps and will add julienned snow peas.

main course will be boiled parsley red potatoes, flounder lightly dusted with wondra and seared and zucchini and yellow squash saute.

thinking a german reisling or a pinot grigio for the wine.

also using up the broccoli, smashed potatoes,chicken breasts and garlic gravy from the other night. cooked up some carrots, added some chicken stock and thickened. voila - chicken veg shepherds pie to take to work with us the next two days :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Susan, you are in FL right? What kind of Pinot do you normally buy? We are getting ready to go on our yearly north Willamette Valley (OR) pinot buying trip!

Awesome! I love Oregon Pinot Noirs. Most of them are pretty expensive here, and except for special occasions, I like to spend under $20.00 a bottle. Tonight's Pinot Noir was Beaulieu Vineyard, on sale $2.00 off the regular price, making it about $8.00... Pretty good for an "everyday" Pinot Noir.

Some of our favorites are King Estate and Argyle (Willamette Valley) from Oregon, and David Bruce, Cambria, Sanford, Chalone, and Robert Mondavi from California. Today when I went wine shopping I bought a Pinot Noir from New Zealand, and I'm looking forward to that probably later this week.

I am looking forward to hearing about your Willamette Valley wine shopping! Please do report back.

What do people think of Adelsheim Pinot Noir (Oregon)? It's become our favorite.

Saturday:

Meghrabi Veal meatballs with chickpeas and spinach, a delicious recipe from Slow Mediterranean Kitchen. I actually used ground beef instead of veal since that was what I had.

A kind of relish made from chopped banana peppers, Meyer lemon segments, olive oil and flat leaf parsley. I made it because I had picked a few late season peppers from the backyard and a ripe lemon from the tree. It was excellent and went very well with the meatballs.

Sunday:

Pan fried quail

Green Pea oatmeal. Steel cut oats, peas/pea puree, butter.

Sauteed mushrooms with shallots

Caneles De Bordoeux (major sp?) for Dessert

Monday:

Rigatoni tossed with a cauliflower "ragu". Cauliflower, canned tomatoes, anchovies, garlic, onions, fresh oregano. Topped the whole thing with Parm and Pangritatta (sp? Again) (coarse bread crumbs crisped in olive oil with salt, pepper and dried oregano)

Dessert: Homemade dark chocolate Gelato with caramel-sea salt pistachios mixed in. Topped with homemade candied orange rinds and some of their syrup. This is definitely the best chocolate ice cream/gelato I’ve ever made and it went so good with the pistachios and the topping.

Sorry for lumping it all together. Been real busy lately.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Wow, you have some yummy PN's!

What do people think of Adelsheim Pinot Noir (Oregon)? It's become our favorite.

Very nice, it's one of the more recognizable ones due to some good distribution. We tend to drink many that are not always available in stores but of course that is because we get them direct. I think it's great that people are trying more NW wines, now start buying some WA Zin and I'll be really happy!! :biggrin:

November 2 "Lame Duck" duet: Seared duck breast atop sauteed apples and shredded duck confit

Steamed broccoli, because it was sooo good the other day

A big salad with lots of red onion and mustard vinaigrette.

Even though I feel ready to hurl while I listen to presidential election results all night, I'm having two dinners:

1) Just had a reheated chorizo taco that sis brought home yesterday. Ate it alongside a salad.

2) Drinking a cab sav... an Israeli wine that sis brought home just now. Recanati Reserve 2001. From Galilee (how cool). In honor of her purchase of Daniel Rogov's new book on Israeli wines.

This begins a night of (hopefully) getting really wasted in honor of the election. For now, I am glad I'm sober, because this wine is great.

3) In a couple hours, I'm going to an election night party to drink more.

4) Then I'm going to the BF's house to eat Domino's buffalo wings and chicken poppers and cheesy bread all, all, ALL night long while we watch the election coverage. Why Domino's if I'm feeling hurly? Because I'm PMSing, that's why! Man, election day couldn't have fallen on a worse week. :raz:

Don't stay up too late, everyone!

Even though I feel ready to hurl while I listen to presidential election results all night, I'm having two dinners:

1) Just had a reheated chorizo taco that sis brought home yesterday. Ate it alongside a salad.

2) Drinking a cab sav... an Israeli wine that sis brought home just now. Recanati Reserve 2001. From Galilee (how cool). In honor of her purchase of Daniel Rogov's new book on Israeli wines.

This begins a night of (hopefully) getting really wasted in honor of the election. For now, I am glad I'm sober, because this wine is great.

3) In a couple hours, I'm going to an election night party to drink more.

4) Then I'm going to the BF's house to eat Domino's buffalo wings and chicken poppers and cheesy bread all, all, ALL night long while we watch the election coverage. Why Domino's if I'm feeling hurly? Because I'm PMSing, that's why! Man, election day couldn't have fallen on a worse week. :raz:

Can't wait to see what you're able to eat tomorrow, Pumpkin Lover :laugh::raz:

I can, however, feel your pain. My appetizer tonight: 2 cigarettes and a cup of tea. Main course: Bottle of Peter Lehman Clancys, some cheese and more cigarettes. Not cooking tonight. :wink:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I decided to have my celebratory dinner tonight, because tomorrow I may not be feeling particularly celebratory. So I went to my butchers and asked for a piece of filet but they didn't have any filet. Now, I'm used to not being able to get what I want at the butchers during the summer season when we're inundated with shoobies but not in November. So I got a chicken breast and sauteed it, and had broccoli with almonds and the absolutely very last tomato in my garden.

gallery_7869_302_1099443733.jpg

It's the top one, the bottom one was eaten over the weekend. The salad included the tomato, green leaf lettuce, shallots, garlic parmesan croutons that I made last week, parsley from the garden, parmeson shavings Nicoise olives and the basic J.C. vainigrette, only with out the Dijon mustard and 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar.

gallery_7869_302_1099444308.jpg

My butcher will have filet tomorrow, it'd be nice to have another celebratory dinner.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Cold fish. Pork. Par(tisan)snips. Did everyone vote today?

Pancetta-wrapped trout

gallery_15769_29_1099452448.jpg

Trout, as always, is cheep. Cleaned at the store; I ripped out the bones myself (is it icky that I actually enjoy that sort of thing?). Stuffed with fennel fronds, onion, smashed garlic, and some rosemary. Wrapped in pancetta, which fused with the trout skin in the oven and turned into a lovely crispy sheet hiding incredibly moist, deeply flavorful flesh.

Watercress wilted with oil and lemon and crushed red pepper to cut the richness of the fish.

And a parsnip/fennel/onion/gruyere gratin that made me wish I could ask myself to marry me :wub:

A really successful dinner. In other news, I got a great job today (finally!), so maybe you'll be seeing foie gras in the future. Actually, you'll be seeing the same gussied-up on-sale chicken and fish, with new shoes in the background :biggrin:

Great looking photos and delicious looking food by all! Eunny, big congrats on the new job!

As we are blogging, I most likely will not be posting dinners on this thread for the week.

I need a yawn smilie. I'm still up, watching the returns, and playing by the eG rules of expressing no reaction to how it's looking. :smile:

Inspired by tonite's episode of Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals' "Stoup" - sauted onions+carrots, chicken stock with cheese ravioli+meatballs from Costco, baby spinach, some left over shredded chicken from yesterday's Quesedillas and a bit of curry powder and pepper. Yum, yum!!

Apparently, not only have I stayed up too late, but I may have lived too long.

whiskey, popcorn.

Whisky and Safeway brand tater tots, here, with a dash of despair. :sad: The good thing is I've confirmed a theory: let tater tots = chickenwings; let worcestershire = tabasco; let butter = butter (Laurie Anderson is smiling now). I'm Squeat Mungry and I approve this combination!

Cheers,

Squeat

Edit: To be clear: combine butter with worcestershire. use as sauce for tots. Let Ohio = Florida? :blink::huh::wacko:

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

It is finally fall in Central TX! Good to have something to celebrate today.

Enjoyed warming up the house with the kitchen humming while preparing Rock Cornish Game Hen with Lemon-Garlic Sauce from Paula Wolfert's The Cooking of South-West France. And a baby Japanese eggplant/tomato/sweet onion gratin with vegs from our garden, and crushed buttered Parmesan croutons made with a variety of home baked breads. :biggrin: Would have been nice to have some havarti for the gratin but we had no complaints.

I recommend the game hens, so tender and juicy. Sauce is a silky cream/lemon/garlic/chicken stock/Madeira wine infusion that . . . well it's good to have the lovely hens to put it on because it's too gauche to just drink it. :wub:

gallery_12550_103_1099470644.jpg

Something so satisfying about whacking the eggplants into small dice, ripping the white sheath from the lemons, and simmering the sauce this evening. Ah, food is therapy once again. :rolleyes::raz:

Eunny, yes, I did.

And congrats on the new job!

Will that be new shoes as part of the table decor? :laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Chilled lemon chicken. Diced tomato and cucumber salad with lots of baby mozzarella. (Fresh mozz for 11 shekels! (approx. $2) Life is good.) Quick cheese biscuits. Dessert would have been sour cherry clafoutis, but was a humbler concoction involving yogurt and chocolate-chip cake.

Sounds like summer food....'cause it's STILL summer here. Sigh.

It is finally fall in Central TX! Good to have something to celebrate today.

Enjoyed warming up the house with the kitchen humming while preparing Rock Cornish Game Hen with Lemon-Garlic Sauce from Paula Wolfert's The Cooking of South-West France. And a baby Japanese eggplant/tomato/sweet onion gratin with vegs from our garden, and crushed buttered Parmesan croutons made with a variety of home baked breads.  :biggrin: Would have been nice to have some havarti for the gratin but we had no complaints.

I recommend the game hens, so tender and juicy. Sauce is a silky cream/lemon/garlic/chicken stock/Madeira wine infusion that  . . . well it's good to have the lovely hens to put it on because it's too gauche to just drink it.  :wub:

gallery_12550_103_1099470644.jpg

Something so satisfying about whacking the eggplants into small dice, ripping the white sheath from the lemons, and simmering the sauce this evening. Ah, food is therapy once again.  :rolleyes:  :raz: 

Eunny, yes, I did.

And congrats on the new job!

Will that be new shoes as part of the table decor?  :laugh:

I hope Paula's Cornish Hen recipe is online somewhere; I don't have the cookbook. It looks so good. If I can't find it, I might be asking you to tell me about it... :smile:

Sounds like a great idea.

My wife and I made carnitas last night, roasted in the oven and served with homemade tortillas and pico de gallo. Yummy! It was our first time making tortillas at home and upon doing so I exlaimed that we would never buy packaged tortillas again.

If you haven't tried making tortillas at home, I highly recommend trying it. The flavor and texture is better and the process is relatively easy.

And, when we finally sat down to eat our tacos, they tasted even better knowing they were made with our hands. I eat my pork carnita tacos generously topped with pico.

Now I'm craving carnitas all over again.

:smile:

Sounds like a great idea.

My wife and I made carnitas last night, roasted in the oven and served with homemade tortillas and pico de gallo. Yummy! It was our first time making tortillas at home and upon doing so I exlaimed that we would never buy packaged tortillas again.

If you haven't tried making tortillas at home, I highly recommend trying it. The flavor and texture is better and the process is relatively easy.

And, when we finally sat down to eat our tacos, they tasted even better knowing they were made with our hands. I eat my pork carnita tacos generously topped with pico.

Now I'm craving carnitas all over again.

:smile:

Sounds fantastic! Thanks for posting.... and WELCOME!!!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)