• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

In honor of New Year, we had some dumplings- we had xiaolongbao. Some dessert fried dumplings that I made with cherry essence dried plums and cream cheese filling. Sprinkled with confectioner's sugar.

Edited by dumpling (log)

Kibbet Raheb: a Lebanese soup made with lentils, chard and lemon juice. with bulghur/herb dumplings cooked in it. I haven't had this for years. It was very good but not exactly the same as the one mom makes. I have to call her to get more specific instructions.

Chard ribs steamed till soft and tossed with Tahine sauce.

Elie

that sounds amazing!! i would love the recipe if you don't mind

last night i had jim's cauliflower (1st time and i freaking loved it), also roasted some sunchokes and brussels sprouts. yum. went to a brand new fish market in my neighborhood because i want to support them - even though the fish does look a little less than pristine. i bought what they labelled hamachi - i don't know what it was - but it wasn't hamachi - my best guess would be something in the albacore family. would have been fine, but my prep (black & white sesame seeds and crushed macadamia nuts) wasn't suited to tuna. it needed more flavor...veggies were super though!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Kibbet Raheb: a Lebanese soup made with lentils, chard and lemon juice. with bulghur/herb dumplings cooked in it. I haven't had this for years. It was very good but not exactly the same as the one mom makes. I have to call her to get more specific instructions.

Chard ribs steamed till soft and tossed with Tahine sauce.

Elie

that sounds amazing!! i would love the recipe if you don't mind

last night i had jim's cauliflower (1st time and i freaking loved it), also roasted some sunchokes and brussels sprouts. yum. went to a brand new fish market in my neighborhood because i want to support them - even though the fish does look a little less than pristine. i bought what they labelled hamachi - i don't know what it was - but it wasn't hamachi - my best guess would be something in the albacore family. would have been fine, but my prep (black & white sesame seeds and crushed macadamia nuts) wasn't suited to tuna. it needed more flavor...veggies were super though!

I would be happy to send you my recipe for the soup. I just need to write it down. Hopefully in the next few days I'll post it or PM you.

For the Chard ribs, just wash cut into two inch pieces. Then steam them (or boil) them till tender. Toss them with Tahine Sauce. Garnish with a little pasley.

Elie

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Friday night:

chicken meatballs and tiny satoimo (taro) simmered in dashi-soy-sake-mirin

hiyayakko (cold tofu) with a soy and yuzu-koshou (paste made of greeen chiles and yuzu) sauce

gobo, carrot, and cucmber salad with a spicy mayo dressing (I just had this like two night ago but my kids love it!)

Japanese rice mixed with a little black rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'm playing last Friday's tune again, with minor variations:

Roasted carnival squash with fleur de sel

Stoneground grits

Sauteed red chard with olive oil and lemon

Edamame (mixin' up the ethnic picture here)

And for dessert:

A plum torte (Marion Burros') I made back in November and froze, with Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream

She blogs: Orangette

The Night Of Pies:

Red lettuce bundles wrapped around loosely scrambled egg with crumbled guajollote (sp?) chile, tied with blanched scallion.

Scooped baked potatoes (about 3 inches in size), filled with potato mixed with wasabi and fresh mayo and topped with salmon roe. The skins were brushed with bacon fat.

Fried ravioli (I just used wonton skins), each stuffed with two U10 shrimp and fresh water chestnuts, with a demitasse of lobster and shrimp bisque.

Coffee sorbet roughed up with a cinmmon stick and topped with mint.

Puff pastry tartlets filled with chicken and duxelle, surrounded by a wild mushroom puree and a bit of frisee.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Saturday dinner:

a platter of steamed and raw vegetables (cabbage, carrots, green beans, cucumbers) and satsmage (deep fried fish patties) were served with a peanut sauce and jasmine rice.

I also had a soup made with onions. ginger, tteok (Korean mochi slices) and egg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

The weekend...

Friday night was usual happy hour bar hopping, including an especially good hamburger at The Brickyard in Daytona Beach.

Saturday we successfully cooked together. The first course was so good, and since we followed the recipe fairly closely, I'll provide the link. I forgot to top with the seasoned walnuts for the presentation, but then again, I'm not crazy over walnuts so that didn't bother me.

Cabrales Cheese Souffles with Endive and Asian Pear Salad

Beringer Johannisberg Riesling

Pan-broiled lamb chops with a warmed sun-dried tomato and Kalamata olive salsa

Baked Polenta with Garlic

Rosemary-roasted zucchini

King Estate Pinot Noir

Orange-Rosemary Creme Brulee

Dogfish Head Immort Ale [Much to my pleasure, this had mellowed so nicely with age.]

Last night was Linguine with Chicken, Garlic, and Basil; Salad with "Horny Melon" vinaigrette :biggrin: , and Beaujolais-Villages.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Salad with lemony vinaigrette

Catfish cooked en papillote on a bed of leeks, celery and fennel, topped with shallots and lemons. Classic beurre blanc napped on top.

Assorted nuts for dessert.

Monday

Pork and Bitter Melon Dumplings

Subgum Wonton Soup

Stir Fried Tofu and Vegetables with Ginger, Basil and a hint of chili

Lop Cheong Fried Brown Rice

Assorted Dessert Plate- Maddelena Cookies, Sweet Fried Wontons with Cherry Plums and chocolate chip cookies

with

frozen yogurt

Butter-seared sea scallops with spinach-maki (just blanched, pressed out, rolled inside nori, sliced on the bias) topped with toasted sesame seeds.

Soup with smoked chicken, assorted mushrooms, assorted peppers, and onion, Thai green curry seasoning.

Thai jasmine rice topped with scrambled eggs and silken tofu with fresh water chestnuts and coriander.

Slaw of Napa cabbage, pickled mango, and slivered scallions with ngoc mam, lime and such.

For 38.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Finally made ragu bolognese & had with homemade fresh tagliolini. I used this Mario Batali recipe for the ragu. The only changes I made to it were that I used ground sirloin in place of the ground veal becasue my Whole Foods was out fo ground veal. I also added a handful of diced grape tomatoes that were lying around & needed to be used. It turned out really great! Reminded me of luch in Parma!

taglioliniBolognese.jpg

Beautiful, ViaChgo! I've been thinking it's time for a Ragu Bolognese, and I'm way overdue for making the pasta, so your post was an inspiration. I'll probably use that recipe, thanks.

Tonight I'm making Pork Egg Foo Young.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I'm making pork too! The local butcher had some nice-looking chops today, so I'll make it easy on myself and pan-fry 'em with some sage and butter. Polenta and greens to go along with. And a plum tart with cream for dessert. May stop to pick up a bottle of wine, but it's doubtful - I'm too hungry to take that kind of time!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Sunday: Braised short ribs ala Al_Dente

Monday: Artichoke tortellini with panchetta tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella

Tuesday: Hash browns and an egg fried in panchetta fat with fried slices panchetta slices

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Blovie has strep throat so I made a pot of chicken soup. Boiled chicken is only good right out of the pot. As are the carrots.

I also picked up some bialys at Kossars today and nibbled on one of those.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Bloviatrix, hope Blovie recovers soon - strep throat BAD.

slightly weird supper as I left the major ingredient - beautiful little piece of ham - in the office fridge last night. Scowl. Had to zip into the local Marks & Spencer when I got off the tube, where they were out of pretty much everything. So we had

- lemon sole fillets, pan fried in butter + parsley

- roasted sweet potatoes

- baby bok choi fried with garlic, fish sauce + lemon juice

Still, it's not all bad, I will obviously be feasting on ham tonight.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Tuesday

Gambas al Ajillo- Shrimp sauteed in President Butter with lots of garlic and a couple of dashes of red pepper flakes

Olive oil and garlic rustic ciabatta

Rigatoni al forno with ground turkey, Baby bellas, onion, fresh basil, garlic, red wine, and marinara sauce. Laced with ricotta and topped with parmesan.

Roasted Caulifower

Honey Carrots

Black Cherry Clafoutis

Edited by dumpling (log)