• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

A Korean friend of mine suggested the pineapple.

I first did a double take when I read "pineapple". Now it all sounds interesting and I'm beginning to salivate thinking of the taste combinations in that dish. As for the anchovies, how much?

The first time I made it, I used 2 fillets. The second time I used 4 small ones.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Fennel and celery cream bisque.

Braised Savoy cabbage with flower mushrooms and rabbit loin.

Remoulade (celery root slaw)

Freshly baked cheese twist breads.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Have been working on beef short ribs (braised). I dredge and brown them, then brown up a good amount of mirepoix, then add a good amount of garlic, a couple dried ancho (or guajillo) chilies, and a few anchovy fillets. Also about half a fresh pineapple. Then I deglaze with red wine, add some beef stock and some Dijon mustard, put the ribs back in the pan, add a good amount of fresh rosemary, cover, and braise. After a few hours I strain the liquid, reduce it down by quite a bit, mount in some butter, add some more rosemary, and eat. I like it with mushy things: polenta or mashed potatoes.

Very nice. I love braising. Using coffee and lots of ancho chili is one of my favorites for short ribs. Sounds a lot like this one. You get a nice, rich mahogany kind of glaze on the ribs with deep flavor and back of the tounge spice. Throwing a pineapple in that recipe might work well to add some brightness to it. Last time I had this braise at a buddy's house it was with butternut squash polenta and a roasted corn salad.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Butter & olive oil

Onions & garlic & pepper

Splash of chianti

Sauteed crimini mushrooms (more butter)

Can of crushed tomatoes

Leftover pork tenderloin, in chunks

Red pepper flakes

Salt

Fusilli

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Thursday

Change in schedule so am in town to cook tonight(Part of tonight's dinner cooked by my brother).

Roast pork chow mian noodles with Szechuan preserved vegetables, Chinese chives, black mushrooms, carrots

Curry Shrimp with baby bellas and chives

Broccoli

Schokolade Edelweiss

Edited by dumpling (log)

Cross-cultural (as ever) vegetable couscous: a pint of ratatouille from the freezer, plus fresh carrot and boiled green plaintain, with extra spice from smoked paprika, zataar (sumac), and preserved lemon, served over instant couscous with raisins, topped with roasted blanched almonds.

Mixed leaves with balsamic + rosemary vinaigrette

Dr. Konstantin Frank Riesling

Friday night comfort-food breakfast-for-dinner:

Long-cooked stoneground grits (from Hoppin' Johns in SC--I read about 'em

in Saveur a few months ago) cooked with butter, water, milk, and a bit of cream :wub:

Sunnyside-up egg on lightly sauteed chard and spinach

And for dessert:

Blueberry buckwheat pancakes (made in my beautiful new pancake pan!) with maple syrup

She blogs: Orangette

Cheesesteaks : sirloin slices about 1/8" thick , marinaded in garlic ,tamari, onion powder ,a splash of balsamic and 3 different peppers (cayenne , cracked black and Tabasco) Soft ,brown onion and Provolone melted on top.

Not traditional , but damned good with a beer and fries

Shattered beef on toast: Kalbi (Korean-style marinated grilled beef ribs, pulled from the bone) on small scallion pancakes with scallion slivers atop.

Beef broth with shoyu, a bit of gojuchang (chile miso paste), watercress and enoki mushrooms.

Sugar snap peas, just blanched and crunchy, dressed with sesame and chile oils and a bit of yuzu juice.

Lemon kimchi, cabbage kimchi, daikon kimchi.

Gohan (Japanese rice) cooked with a bit of seafood stock, gomasio (sesame salt).

Green tea and sake sorbet.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Family birthday dinner for 20 -- most of them VERY unadventurous eaters!

Butterflied shrimp on cucumber slices with wasabi creme fraiche

Smoked chicken on blini with chipotle mayo and chive garnish

Wild mushroom agnolotti in gorgonzola cream sauce

Chicken supreme stuffed with wild rice, apricot, cranberries and herbs with pan jus

Veal tenderloin with merlot jus

French beans with dijon herb butter

Sauteed root vegetables with maple glaze

White chocolate/Passionfruit birthday cake.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Shattered beef on toast: Kalbi (Korean-style marinated grilled beef ribs, pulled from the bone) on small scallion pancakes with scallion slivers atop.

Beef broth with shoyu, a bit of gojuchang (chile miso paste), watercress and enoki mushrooms.

Sugar snap peas, just blanched and crunchy, dressed with sesame and chile oils and a bit of yuzu juice.

Lemon kimchi, cabbage kimchi, daikon kimchi.

Gohan (Japanese rice) cooked with a bit of seafood stock, gomasio (sesame salt).

Green tea and sake sorbet.

JInmyo, I love kalbi!

single this weekend so i can eat what i want;

bangers and mash

onion gravy

succotash - johnnybird can not abide lima beans - unless made into a spread with evoo and kosher salt. i love, adore. crave lima beans with corn so i had it tonight - lots of lovely salt, freshly ground pepper and soy spread (sorry do not like the taste of butter

and 4 freaking loads of laundry

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Saturday

Some truly nice rosemary foccacia(if I can't eat it at least I can smell it which has a certain orgasmic quality all its own)

Chicken parmigian in a diced onion and garlic tomato sauce with basil and oregano

Roasted acorn squash then mashed and mixed with butter, cinnamon and nutmeg

French cut green beans in a cream sauce

Farfalle with a chicken broth sauce thickened with some mashed carrots and celery

Dessert plate: assorted leftover desserts including an orange cream roll, some crazy coconut pie and some schokolade edelweiss(which two or three days later, people still love)

It's been a fun weekend for me, dinner wise. I've been so busy this week I haven't really had any time to cook. My wife SWISAIK (She Who Is Seldom Allowed In Kitchen*) made a nice pasta with a tomato sauce with ham and chile pepper flakes on Tuesday, I guess it was. She put in about twice as many chile flakes as she meant to, but I thought it was great that way.

Last night (Friday), I finally got to cook after several days of deprivation. My wife's sister and her companion were arriving from the airport, and I didn't have much time, so I made:

my default roasted chicken (rosemary, lemon and garlic);

steamed broccoli with butter;

and something new for me, a fettuccine with lemon sauce from Ruth Reichl's second book. This sauce contained large doses of heavy cream and butter, so it would've had no excuse if it sucked. But it didn't suck, it was really very very nice. I also made it with Meyer lemons, which I'd never actually cooked with before. My reaction to the Meyer lemon phenomenon: eh, they're okay.

Today (Saturday), I made a spinach quiche (more cream, what could go wrong?) and leek & potato soup for lunch, and then for dinner, my in-laws came over and I made:

roast leg of lamb, made in a simplified version of a Paula Wolfert recipe: by forming a boned leg into a sausage-shaped roast and tying it, larding it with garlic, rubbing it with salt/pepper and a little oil and duck fat, letting it sit a while, then roasting it. And adding a shallot/vinegar reduction to the pan juices and basting with it. It was delicious. Cooked very evenly, beautifully rare throughout.

And I made a celery root/apple puree and buttered green beans.

And SWISAIK made a lovely salad.

And for dessert we had the second of the two mediocre pithiviers (puff pastry surrounding almond buttercream) I made last weekend. Like its twin, it did not rise as much as it should have, but it tasted pretty swell.

Somewhere in there, I wanted to bake a loaf of bread, but I never got 'round to it.

* It's not that my wife's an incompetent cook-- she's good. I'm just very possessive of the kitchen, and she's pretty happy with that.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Friday night's dinner

Butternut Squash Soup

Veal Chops, breaded and pan-fried

Kasha Varnishkes

My new favorite mushroom recipe - cremini and buttons sliced and sauteed with garlic and balsamic vinegar

Unbelievably rich chocolate brownies with pecans (recipe from Alice Medrich's Bittersweet)

Baron Herzog Claksburg Chenin Blanc 2002

For shabbat lunch (which is our big meal on Saturday) Blovie made a big pot of cholent.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Some elderly relatives are coming for 'high tea', so we are having pretty much the same sunday tea that my mum and granny always made. It isn't very trendy,and each dish is very simple, but it has been my favourite meal since I was a child. Because my family were quite religious everything could be made in advance and set out on sunday evening... but I've been working at it all day today!

cold roast peppered fillet beef,

cold ham,

spiced pressed ox tongue

prawns in lemon mayonnaise,

cold poached salmon

devilled eggs

potato salad,

tomato salad,

mixed leaves

Cucumber, celery and green grape salad

carrot and mustard seed salad

waldorf salad,

coleslaw

jellied beetroot

mustard, pickles, chutneys, salad cream, homemade mayo.

(I cheated and bought the bread from the bakery, because his bread is really good,and I just didn't have time or oven space, but everything else was cooked by my mum and me.)

white soda bread

wheaten bread (brown soda)

potato bread

scotch pancakes

scones: plain, treacle and date & walnut

mini bakewell tarts,

mini 'cheesecakes',

butter tarts (chocolate topped),

coffee sponge, victoria sponge,

apple creams,

shortbread,

lemon meringue pie,

sherry trifle,

fresh fruit salad.

Edited by Naomi (log)

Saturday evening.

Chicken and Dumplings (absolutely sublime, if I do say so myself) Wonderful.

Butter Lettuce Salad with grapefruit, walnuts and avacado and not so sweet poppyseed dressing.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...