• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Fresh corn tortillas

Grilled corn & black bean salsa (spicy)

Jaymes' salsa

Avocado

Leftover spicy shredded pork

Lime wedges

Yummy :wub:

That menu absolutely makes my heart 'ting' happy. That sounds so good! :wub:

I made (half inspired by Jake's dinner and half by the food cliche thread):

homemade flour tortillas (I had no idea these were so easy!)

rice with cilantro and lime

black beans cooked with onion, garlic and epazote

jerk-ish chicken (bone-in thighs for $.79/lb!!) and red onion, the chicken taken off the bone and the whole mess tossed about in oil, lime juice, soy, oregano, thyme, some rosemary I had lying around, cinnamon, allspice, cumin, a little sugar, and lots of finely minced serrano. Grilled crusty on a two-burner cast iron grill pan thing.

MANGO SALSA :smile:

After having a tramatic expirience cleaning morels (and then throwing them out) I made:

Asparagus/Procuitto(sp?)/Roasted Garlic/Gruyere/ and white truffle oil pizza

on homemade crust.

for dessert was:

Homemade Spiced Vanilla ice cream, tres leches cake, and Tropical fruit sorbet garnished with whipped cream and macadamia nuts (and some coconut meringues on the side). The brightness of sorbet and the speckles of vanilla seeds in the ice cream looked great with the spongy cake.

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

Fresh corn tortilla chips topped with creme fraiche, chives, and salted cod roe.

Shaved cucumber salad with lime.

i6558.jpg

Skillet catfish with cumin, ancho chile, garlic, allspice. Haricots vert, ramps (wild garlic) around polenta disc and roasted red pepper/chile sauce, halved baby tomato.

Cheese course.

edit:

My homage to Mayhaw Man and the American South.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Strong work, Jin. Let's now start working on grits.

I had barbecued shrimp with yellow squash, sea beans, favas, garlic and scallions. Served with a salad of cucumber, grape tomato, mint, and mirin.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Inspired by the deep fried nivana thread I had:

Baby portobella mushrooms rolled in an egg wash, then a mixture of crushed garlic, grated parmesan cheese, sage, and cayenne, then deep fried to dark brown golden perfection.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

last night was shrimp remoulade over mixed greens

the first apricots are in so i poached some halves in prosecco till just soft and filled the cavity where the stone was with a mix of marscapone, nutmeg and honey.

based on jinmyo's beautiful picture i think i will have to stop by the local fish store and pick up some catfish

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Skillet catfish with cumin, ancho chile, garlic, allspice. Haricots vert, ramps (wild garlic) around polenta disc and roasted red pepper/chile sauce, halved baby tomato.

Cheese course.

edit:

My homage to Mayhaw Man and the American South.

Oh Jinmyo. I didn't know you cared. :wub:

Actually, haricots vert are better known down here as green beans :wink:

That catfish looks great. Cumin is a nice match with the earthy taste of catfish, too. I am on my way to Middendorf's in Manchac, LA to meet my Mom and Dad for a little thin fry catfish and a couple of stuffed crabs. They have just spent the week in New Orleans for my Mama's 70th bd and I can't believe they want another meal.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Beautiful... What nice plating!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

After having a tramatic expirience cleaning morels (and then throwing them out) I made:

May I pass along to you what I was told by a Greenmarket farmer when I complained about all the worms on his broccoli:

They'll all fall off when you steam it.

:biggrin:

Re catfish. I had forgotten how much I love working with and eating this fish.

Mayhaw Man, those particular "green beans" actually came from France as the local beans were all those huge pencil thick things. That's about $2 worth of beans just on that one plate. So "haricot vert", thank you very much. :laugh:

edit:

This isn't really what I'd serve but here's a fun dinner I made for myself a bit ago. Macedonean lamb sausages with colcannon (with onion and poblano) and a wee salad.

Bangers n mash:

i6567.jpg

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Bangers n mash:

That is just too freakin' cool.

I am on my own today and it's too damned hot to cook inside and I just finished making limocello, so...

pita bread

(homemade) labneh with olive oil

za'tar (mixed by my awesome uncle), with olive oil

olives (also from awesome uncle, last fall's batch from the family farm.)

If I were to fry an egg in my clay pan and open a bottle of beer, this would be my childhood "dinner with dad when mom's away", circa 20 years ago. Sigh. :smile:

I really feel spoiled.

Rare burgers (blend of 80/20 beef and sirloin, of Amish origin) topped with Amiish sourced blue cheese, Amish bacon, and some onion confit (onions not necessarily grown by the Amish).

Chile Relleno stuffed with Amish made yoghurt longhorn cheese.

Can you tell I visited the Amish farmer's market today?

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Was feeling odds'n'ends-y today, so whipped up

- eggplant agrodulce

- garlicky bean puree

- pan-fried olives with lemon

- a plate of fresh mozzarella with olive oil, salt, and pepper

Then I improvised a slew of thin, flexible little (3 inch, maybe) golden pancakes with cabbage and chickpea flour, which served as the base for everything else. These were great, and I think I'll be making them a lot in the future. All was consumed with Yuengling black and tan, and it left us filled with a sense of splendid well-being. I do love it when I manage to make a dinner that is completely satisfying without making me feel over-stuffed. This was a definite success in that department.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Mayhaw Man, those particular "green beans" actually came from France as the local beans were all those huge pencil thick things. That's about $2 worth of beans just on that one plate. So "haricot vert", thank you very much. :laugh:

Then I would probably call them really expensive French green beans :raz:

But, then again, they're your French Green Beans so you can call them whatever you wish. :laugh:

They look delicious, whatever you call them.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I know this is the dinner thread, but I just made a breakfast that I just have to share:

Bacon, Onion, Jalepeno, and Okra Frittata.

Who would have thought Okra would have gone so well in a breakfast dish? It was wonderful. Next time I will try to find a red chile pepper to give some more color contrast to the dish.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

For Mother's Day Lunch/Dinner we had:

The Main Dish:

Corned Beef-made by mother, onion soup mix on top of corned beef and in the slow cooker for a few hours. Needless to say, I took some chicken boobies and grilled them and opted out of the beef.

All savory options prepared by my mother:

Chicken Dijonnese- also made by mom, also from a prepared packet (this time Knorr)

Cucumber salad- Nothing premade here.

Mashed Taters

I made:

A dessert buffet consisting of all Mom, Grandma, and my sister's favorites

Lemon Bars

Walnut Brownies

Peanut Butter Cookies

Blueberry Crumb Cake

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

We had the great breakfast for dinner tonight!

Perfect, tender scrambled eggs, skillet potatoes, pork bangers (from the British Grocery), and toast. With a big pot of tea, Scottish Breakfast, I was a happy happy girl! I surely live in the wrong country. :rolleyes:

And Jimmyo, YUM on that colcannon. It is one of my favorite dishes. I rarely make it since my husband doesn't like it but when I do it's decadent and I make a meal of it for just me!

The stars above me are not real, they are the sparks from smitting steel - Michael Penn

Christened my new plates with a grilled fillet of trout and a rasher of streaky bacon, cooked flat. Bashed new potatoes with spring onion, tomato and basil.

Broccoli and a few chives dressed with lemon juice and sea salt.

i6621.jpg

We actually finished the dry Touraine wine the next day with a lovely Saint Maure de Touraine. It tasted of honey and mustard. Good goat's cheese tends to taste of honey and the drier ones can be enhanced with a trickle of honey. This cheese has a straw through the middle, to help it keep its shape.

By the way, we never, ever put cheese in the fridge, except our parmesan for grating.

i6242.jpg