• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Tonight:

Melon and prosciutto, and Sauvignon Blanc, while we were cooking

Chicken Piperade

Potato Gratin with Beaufort and Herbes de Provence... the potatoes were grated not sliced

Skinny green beans dressed with EVOO and aged Balsamic, and sprinkled with pine nuts

Rioja

Last night:

Snow crab legs, dipped in butter in our new butter warmers (a Christmas gift)

Domaine Ste. Michelle sparkling wine

Rib-eye Steak au Poivre

Pasta with cream sauce and shavings from our last truffle

Sauteed sugar snap peas

Burgess Zinfandel

Creme Brulee using a Christmas gift, the torch

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Tonight we had....

Free range spaghetti with organic meatballs.

The kids had free range pizza. Delicious.

Sorry, I have to ask.

Spaghetti and pizza allowed to free range?

Joke, right?

Or quirky labeling?

Sorry Amanda, It's just my way of poking fun at folks who pay exorbitant prices for food that has little or no added benefits in taste or quality.

Care for some Kobe beef?

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

A friend in Alberta was just saying he and his wife have been enjoying kobe beef burgers lately. A benefit, to them, at any rate, of Japan banning all Canadian beef, including the kobe variety produced almost entirely for export.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Saturday Dinner:

Cioppiono with calamari, mussels, bay scallops, cod

Sirloin roasted with thyme, garlic and served with a buerre rouge

Lentils

Braised Red Cabbage

Rosemary Cake

Lemon and Olive Oil Ice Cream

Dried Figs poached in Marsala, honey, lemon, balsamic and black pepper

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

happy belated birthday, Jackal!

did a trip to Borough Market on Saturday morning where, most satisfactorily, I saw two minor UK celebs in addition to Jamie Oliver! And the ex-manager of my favourite London club sold me my olives - hadn't seen him in three years! much hugging over the marinated feta stand. hurrah! So supper two nights running has been using up the bonanza.

- green olives with tarragon + garlic

- divine Pugliese bread (burnt black on the outside, chewy sour crumb inside) from Exeter Street bakery with unsalted echire butter (I NEVER eat butter, but I have gone through 50g of this stuff on this bread since Saturday)

- Swiss chard, stir fried with olive oil, garlic + a squeeze of lemon

- pork chops from The Ginger Pig, grilled plain + served with apple sauce made from Egremont Russets

- creamy Colston Bassett Stilton + sharp sheep's milk Wigmore

- organic celery

and then obviously bed by 9pm both nights as I was too full to keep my eyes open.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Sorry Amanda, It's just my way of poking fun at folks who pay exorbitant prices for food that has little or no added benefits in taste or quality.

Care for some Kobe beef?

actually i paid less per pound for the capon than i would have had to pay for regular chicken at the supermarket. benefit is i'm also helping to support small farmers who carry a good product.

i'm able to buy free range and organic capon, chicken and turkey at this purveyor as well as duck and venison. when was the last time you have seen venison roast in your local market?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Monday dinner:

vegetable pullao ( basmati rice with carrots, potatoes and onions)

yougurt relish with zucchini, cumin, cayenne and mustard seeds

dal of yellow and red lentils

dessert:

chocolate-chocolate chip meringue cookies

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Just realized that it's 5 o'clock and we hadn't thought about what's for dinner - so it's pantry special night:

Pasta with EVOO, parsley, red pepper flakes and grated Parm

Steamed asparagus

Milk for everyone, except Emma who will have OJ with added calcium.

Ice cream. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Just realized that it's 5 o'clock and we hadn't thought about what's for dinner - so it's pantry special night:

Pasta with EVOO, parsley, red pepper flakes and grated Parm

Steamed asparagus

Milk for everyone, except Emma who will have OJ with added calcium.

Ice cream. :smile:

Usually when this happens to me, it means take out :biggrin: Is Emma lactose intolerant or just doesn't like milk?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Usually when this happens to me, it means take out :biggrin: Is Emma lactose intolerant or just doesn't like milk?

She is allergic to the milk protein, which I understand is different from lactose intolerance. :smile: It's making cooking for her, and the rest of the family, interesting these days.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

She is allergic to the milk protein, which I understand is different from lactose intolerance. :smile: It's making cooking for her, and the rest of the family, interesting these days.

Yes it is. Ryan was allergic to milk in the beginning, although he grew out of it. We had him on soy milk for the first two years and slowly started adding real milk to the soy. It took a long time for him to get past it. He loves the stuff now, but I still have to watch his intake.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

It was a vegetarian night for me: roasted beets, carrots & brocolli (a la Jim Dixon's cauliflower) with a side of mashed potatoes. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Monday dinner -- non-existant.

Worked late. Came home, 2 glasses of wine, a couple pieces of baguette and cheese the SO had kindly purchased at the market.

Out for dinner tomorrow night, so no cooking until Wednesday. A blessed relief with work so busy.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

- red lentils cooked to a sludge with strips of smoked bacon + a pinch of five-spice

- spicy Asian coleslaw - white cabbage, carrots, spring onions + chopped coriander tossed with soy, mirin, chili flakes, nam pla, lime juice, muscovado sugar, ginger + a speck of sesame oil

- spinach fried in olive oil + garlic with a squeeze of lemon

and a bottle of Grace-Dieu St Emilion which was so delicious it has spoilt me for any other wine.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I keep meaning to post more to this thread, but my memory can never keep up with my resolutions.

Last night I bought a chichen, lopped off the wings and legs and reserved them, then rubbed the bone-in, skin-on breast with green tea, ancho powder, and salt. Wrapped the breast in cheesecloth with lots of cilantro, and poached it (along with the chopped up, defatted carcass), with lemongrass, a leek, a julienned poblano, and some peppercorns.

Meant to serve the bird boobs (removed from skin and bone) with salad greens, but the greens smelled like they'd died, gone to Hell, and come back to claim the living. So I winged (wung?) it:

I stir-fried baby bok choy and julienned carrots with a minced serrano and a sliced scallion and some brown soy sauce, then wilted some spinach with toasted sesame seeds and a touch of sesame oil, and served the bird in the center of the plate with the leafy things on either side. Also had on the table a bowl of Vietnamese fish sauce enlivened with plum vinegar and crumbled Thai chiles, just to jazz things up.

It was a pretty good meal, I thought.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Another nostalgia trip, different destination.

New Orleanian Italian chicken, I used thighs and the most copious amount of garlic I'd used in a single dish in years ... put us in mind of the formerly ubiquitous disputedly James Beardian Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic everybody used to make all the effing time.

Not exactly a bad dish, but New Orleanian Italian chicken is a far far far better one.

And, of course spaghetti Bordelaise is requisite. But I had this idea to use boiled Arborio instead, after the manner HelenaS got me onto months/years/whatever ago, and it was good. So, riso Bordelaise. Very nice.

Lovely Romaine salad with an austerely just-right white wine vinegar-olive oil dressing.

LBB seedy baguette.

Bonny Doon 2002 Erbaluce de Caluso, excellent.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Tuesday dinner:

steaks marinated with soy-seame (oil and seeds)-apple-sugar-garlic-scallions then seared and thinly sliced and stuffed into lettuce leaves with kojuchabg, shungiku (chrysanthemum leaves) and rice and eaten

turnip miso soup

turnip pickles

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"